Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Tale of Rome - Book Two - Chapter 1 (Updated)

Shankbot de Bodemloze's Avatar From the Writers Study!
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Default Re: Tale of Rome-updated 10/12

Aulus no.... be careful! I won't be happy if you kill him off.

great job on the update mate, and I'm looking forward to this clash of the titans, as one my put it.

+rep
    THE WRITERS' STUDY | THE TRIBUNAL | THE CURIA | GUIDE FOR NEW MEMBERS

PROUD PATRON OF JUNAIDI83, VETERAAN & CAILLAGH
    UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF MEGA TORTAS DE BODEMLOZE

Scottish King's Avatar Campidoctor
    Content Emeritus

A nice showdown is coming! Cant wait to see who is going to win! Great update!
    The White Horse: Hanover AAR (On going ETW AAR)
    Tales of Acamar: Legends WS Yearly Award Best Plot Winner (On-going CW Piece)
    The Song of Asnurn: An Epic Poem MCWC VI Winner (On-hold CW Piece)
    Tales of Acamar: Outbreak (Finished)
    To Conquer the World for Islam A Moor AAR (Finished)

Rex Anglorvm's Avatar Wrinkly Wordsmith

Quote Originally Posted by Tigellinus View Post
    DAMN Aulus better be careful! A good chapter mate!
    Thanks Tig

Quote Originally Posted by Shankbot de Bodemloze View Post
    Aulus no.... be careful! I won't be happy if you kill him off.

great job on the update mate, and I'm looking forward to this clash of the titans, as one my put it.

+rep
    As if I would do that

Quote Originally Posted by Scottish King View Post
    A nice showdown is coming! Cant wait to see who is going to win! Great update!
    Hopefully you won't have long to wait....

Ybbon's Avatar The Way of the Buffalo
    spy of the council

A dangerous mix of fighting skill and lunacy with a a healthy dash of rage - makes for a foaming at the mouth villain.

Hollywood calls... Vin Diesel would make a good Jason I reckon, Christian Bale as Marcus, now we need the love interest or the film is not going to work. Peter Jackson to direct but he needs to be stopped from making another trilogy and no hobbits!

Quote Originally Posted by ybbon66 View Post
    A dangerous mix of fighting skill and lunacy with a a healthy dash of rage - makes for a foaming at the mouth villain.

Hollywood calls... Vin Diesel would make a good Jason I reckon, Christian Bale as Marcus, now we need the love interest or the film is not going to work. Peter Jackson to direct but he needs to be stopped from making another trilogy and no hobbits!
    Well the Romans were quite short, so maybe hobbits wouldn't be so out of place

Just to let eveyone know, I going back over the story from the start to change the format and give it the odd tweak here on there - don't feel obliged to re-read it though Unless you want to
    Last edited by Rex Anglorvm; December 12, 2012 at 07:03 AM.

Chapter Forty - A surprise in the night

The coastal road leading from Numerius Farm, Near Capua – December 218BC

Jason felt as taught as a coiled spring, he watched the road intently, and let out a malevolent sigh as he viewed the first of the Verres men riding cautiously through the ravine, three men were the first to come into plain sight. By the looks of the men former professional soldiers and not the usual street scum that you would expect to be serving a gangster of Rome, but then the Thracian knew that Aulus was more than a simple criminal.

As the men came into closer view Jason could see that the men were well armed and kept their equipment and mounts in good order, in fact the men’s appearance would not have disgraced a first rate cavalry outfit. He could see the men scanning the shallow hills around them for any signs of a trap, the Thracian knew that he had hidden his men well however. Suddenly the three men stopped as if on cue, and sat rigidly on their horses the men’s heads seemed to tilt as if straining to hear the sounds of an enemy, Jason’s hand ached to pull his sword from its scabbard and run screaming at the enemy, but even he held his breath in trepidation. Just as suddenly the men seemed to visibly relax and smile at one another, whatever had drawn them to a halt had not spooked them sufficiently to stop their progress or raise their suspicions still further. The man in the centre of the trio gave a shrill whistle and then the sound of more movement from behind the outriders became more apparent. Jason watched intently as more men rounded the bend into the ravine, he counted at least thirty horsemen which in turn were closely followed by at the least the same number again of infantry.

Perhaps this would be closer than he though, all the men on the road beneath him carried themselves with the assured stride of trained warriors and not the rolling gait that he knew would signal the obvious physical sign of a street thug. However he and his men still had the edge after all they outnumbered the enemy by at least thirty men, they had the high ground and they also had surprise on their side. Reassured in his own mind he prepared himself to give the signal for the attack to come, he just needed to wait until all the Verres men were in the ravine and then he could order his men to pounce, in the meantime he prayed that no fool would give away their position and thus the element of surprise with it. His eyes trailed the men along the ravine floor, his glance roving up and down the ranks searching for the bulky figure of Aulus Verres, although he did not know the man by sight, he knew that by reputation he was of a large build. Finally he glanced at one of the last mounted men at the back of the cavalry element of the column, by his position and the fact that he was conversing with two other men, as if seemingly to give orders it looked like he had found the man he was looking for, he gave a harrumph of surprise, Aulus was more bull-like than running to fat, he would have to have a word with his agents about their observational skills it seemed.

Finally the last few infantrymen had made their way into the ravine; Jason held his breath for a final few seconds and then shouted the order to attack ‘now you dogs! Kill the Roman scum!!’ At the command the startled Romans looked up at the hillsides watching for adversaries in the dark of night, just as a torrent of javelins and slingshot came flying out of the darkness at them, the projectiles came flying from every direction taking both riders and mounts and the men on foot alike.

Jason heard a voice in the darkness trying to rally the rattled men around him ‘get your shields up lads! Form in the centre we’ll push our way through and out the other side of the ravine!’ No chance! The Thracian had planned for just such an eventuality, just as the men below them seemed to restore a semblance of order to their shattered column, he shouted his next command ‘Roll them!!’ At both the entrance and the exit to the ravine large boulders were rolled down the hillsides to crush the men trying to either continue fighting with their comrades or to run away in the direction that the column had come from. Almost satisfied Jason gave his penultimate order ‘Fry them!!’ Sailing out of the night from the hillsides came clay pots aflame and leaving a trail of arching light behind them in the night sky until they landed in the middle of the Verres men spreading more panic and confusion, as men ran in all directions and some unlucky souls burned in the middle of a crisp winter’s night.

The features of the Thracian were lit up by the flaming bodies of the Romans below him, he smiled as a grim satisfaction came over him, all that was left now was the chance to bloody his sword on the next member of the Verres family. Joy! The last order was given ‘Kill! Kill! Finish them off!!’ with this the shallow hills came alive as the men of the Moon Star came pouring down the sloping inclines to what remained of the Verres men, from the northern slope came Demetrious with a measured pace leading the more experienced men of the crew and from the right came Erhard hurtling down the hillside like a rampaging bull elephant followed by the more youthful and less experienced men.

With that Jason pulled his own sword from his scabbard, a cruel smile crossed his lips as he took a measured pace down the slope towards the last place he had seen the bull-like figure of Aulus Verres. He reached the bottom of the slope where he had followed the imposing figure of Erhard who was busily cutting a bloody swathe of destruction with his heavy infantry sword. He watched as his men battered the enemy into submission; the Verres men to give them their due were in no mood to surrender and were fighting to the finish. Jason made his way through the chaos to were he could see Aulus fighting in an ever diminishing circle of his own men as warriors from both Erhard’s and Demetrious’s parties joined to smash the last symbol of real heavy resistance.

Pushing his way through the scrum that his own men had created, at first he met with no resistance until he found himself at the front of his own men face to face with a tough looking individual wielding a straight edged cavalry blade, Jason gave him a scowl and a quick command ‘get out of my way you craven minion and let me through to your master!’ In response the men snarled and launched himself at the Thracian with a devious low blow towards his legs, seeking to disable him before he could then dispatch the then immobilized man. Things did not work out in the cavalryman’s favour though, as when he swung low, Jason simply jumped in the air to avoid the man’s lunge, and landing in front of the surprised Verres man, he brought his sword arm down from the right and neatly severed his head from his shoulders; as a spray of blood cascaded from the new hole in the man’s body where his head had once sat, Jason leapt over the body as it fell to the ground, giving a chuckle at the bemused expression on the now decapitated head rolling on the floor next to its former owners right foot.

A further couple of strides and Jason could see the impressive form of Aulus fighting at the heart of his men, as he watched Jason had to admit that for a merchant used to soft living he could handle a sword exceedingly well, in fact better than his veteran soldier brother! Unless…

A mad though struck the mind of the Thracian…what if the bull like figure was not Aulus! Surely not!?

An all consuming rage fired his body and in a blaze of almost omnipotent fury he cut, slashed, elbowed, kicked, punched and head butted his way through to the last few remaining Verres men that stood between him and their leader. Painting for breath as his own men followed in his stead seeking to protect their crazed overlord, he tore through the remnants of the Verres men with his men trying their best to protect their almost unhinged master, finally he paused sucking air deep into his lungs and held his left arm up to halt any attack on the last Roman left standing. Jason stretched out his sword arm pointing the now dented, chipped and bloodied blade at the man before him ‘You! You are Aulus Verres, the fat merchant of Rome!’

The man looked at Aulus and a bitter final laugh came from his mouth ‘No I’m not! I’m Marcus and you have missed my master who is now in Capua safe with his brother plotting your demise Greek pig!’

The name Marcus!? Now he remembered the merchant had a chief bodyguard called Marcus, his agents had told him so, he spun around searching for the familiar bulk of Erhard, catching his eye he motioned the German towards him. ‘Erhard is this Aulus Verres?’

The German shook his big shaggy head emphatically ‘no my lord it is not, he is the same height as this man, but the build and the features are all wrong, I do know him though, when the merchant came to the ship before we left Rome this man was with him. A bodyguard of sorts I think.’

The head of the Thracian seemed to sink as the realisation that he had missed his target struck home; the merchant must have sent these men to chase them down while he struck out for Capua with his crippled brother. Slowly he raised his head and looked at the Verres man standing before him, ‘I’m not Greek you dog, I’m a Thracian’ waving his free left arm in the air he motioned his men forward ‘kill him, I want nothing left of his body, apart from his head which we shall leave on a spear point!’ Jason signalled Erhard and Demetrious to him as he watched the death of Marcus dispassionately, thinking of his next move, as Marcus crouched low and prepared to die as a horde of howling pirates closed in on him and cut the man to pieces. ‘Thoughts gentlemen? You may speak freely.’

Erhard was the first to speak ‘let me have a handful of men I will go to Capua and bring you back the fat merchant my lord!’

Demetrious shook his head meaningfully ‘I don’t think that would work my brave friend, Capua is a very well defended town and no doubt the Verres men will be securely locked away and guarded by the local military, remember the merchant has a lot of powerful friends. I would not be surprised if there was some form of military presence on their way to intercept us now at his behest.’

Normally Jason would not hesitate to take action, nor would he seek another’s counsel, but tonight he had been wrong footed for the first time in an age and he felt vulnerable. He decided to err on the side of caution and leave the vicinity of Capua, but he would show no obvious weakness to his subordinates. ‘I believe that you are correct Demetrious, I have no doubt that the enemy will be seeking to chase us down, that was why I wished to attack here not far from the Moon Star, leaving our retreat unhindered. I suggest we leave immediately. Inform the men that we are moving out, cut the throats of the wounded theirs or ours I will brook no delays. We are heading for the North and the nephew, maybe we will have more luck there, now be about your business!’ All around him the men began to move amongst the downed men checking for a pulse or a sign of life and swiftly ending it; he could see Erhard with the head of Marcus in his left hand which the German then thrust onto the blunt end of a spear that was imbedded in the ground, the big man then nonchalantly patted the top of the severed head as he walked away.

In less then five minutes he and the men were on the move back to the Moon Star, little did he know that one single set of eyes remained alive to watch them as they left and what’s more those eyes knew exactly where the Thracian was headed…
    Last edited by Rex Anglorvm; January 14, 2013 at 05:49 AM.

Citizen

Blog Entries

Default Re: Tale of Rome-updated 14/12

He lives, and he's outwitted Jason... woo!

A thrilling update, and a nice type of twist as well. I'm looking forward to seeing who the set of eyes belonged too though...

+rep

Tigellinus's Avatar Citizen

Damn you and the cliffhanger

A great update Rex!

+rep err when I can

Proudly under the patronage of McScottish

He lives, and he's outwitted Jason... woo!

A thrilling update, and a nice type of twist as well. I'm looking forward to seeing who the set of eyes belonged too though...

+rep
    Well I thought I would spring a surprise on everyone

Damn you and the cliffhanger

A great update Rex!

+rep err when I can
    I shall await my rep patiently
    Last edited by Rex Anglorvm; December 14, 2012 at 02:48 PM.

I have a feeling that Marcinius is going to come face to face with Jason in Lucius steed Or one of his other many friends.

Ybbon's Avatar The Way of the Buffalo
    spy of the council

In good old Panto tradition (going to see it next Sunday (23rd) - me and the wife because frankly we love it) - he's behind you....

Excellent little twist and Jason is really turning into a right evil villain - good villains make for good movies :

Citizen

Blog Entries

Oh no you didn't....

OK Rex. I've given you your delayed rep!

Thanks

Tigellinus

I have a feeling that Marcinius is going to come face to face with Jason in Lucius steed Or one of his other many friends.
    We shall see I'm hoping for a Christmas twist

Quote Originally Posted by Ybbon View Post
    In good old Panto tradition (going to see it next Sunday (23rd) - me and the wife because frankly we love it) - he's behind you....

Excellent little twist and Jason is really turning into a right evil villain - good villains make for good movies :
    They do indeed any film producers reading this

Oh no you didn't....

OK Rex. I've given you your delayed rep!

Thanks

Tigellinus
    Thanks for the rep tig!!

Scottish King's Avatar Campidoctor
    Content Emeritus

Very good update! Didn't see that coming! Ill rep when able
    The White Horse: Hanover AAR (On going ETW AAR)
    Tales of Acamar: Legends WS Yearly Award Best Plot Winner (On-going CW Piece)
    The Song of Asnurn: An Epic Poem MCWC VI Winner (On-hold CW Piece)
    Tales of Acamar: Outbreak (Finished)
    To Conquer the World for Islam A Moor AAR (Finished)

Quote Originally Posted by Scottish King View Post
    Very good update! Didn't see that coming! Ill rep when able
    Good then a got my intention spot on I will wait patiently for the rep

Chapter Forty One – Aulus little break

The Estate and villa of Romulus Decius in Capua – December 218BC

Aulus sat pensively by the side of his brother’s sickbed, Numerius’s face looked pale and ghostlike, his brother had lost so much blood that the surgeon that had come to deal with the ex-soldier’s wounds had despaired of being able to save him, Aulus made it clear to the Capuan that if he did not save his patient that he too would be joining him in the afterlife.

The surgeon had worked liked a Trojan throughout the night, staunching the blood flow, sealing wounds with thread and fire and had finally managed to break the raging temperature of Numerius. Thoroughly exhausted the surgeon had slumped down in a chair opposite Aulus and had slept a mixture of fear and lack of energy allowing the man a fitful sleep. Aulus had not woke him, he had done his job, his brother should survive, already he had dispatched a rider back to Rome to fetch Set, the little Egyptian knew more about life and death then any other man the merchant knew.

Thinking back to the events of a few hours ago, he acknowledged that the men he had tasked with fetching the surgeon and riding to meet Marcus had done well; the surgeon had arrived in time to stop the worst bleeding whilst still at the farm of his brother, and the second rider had ridden like a demon so that Marcus had had been able to drive the men hard enough to have been present whilst the surgeon first tended to Numerius. But still a knot of anxiety was pitted in the base of Aulus’s stomach, for he had heard nothing from Marcus and his men and surely he should have been informed of their progress by now.

He could clearly recall pulling Marcus to one side while the surgeon went about his business, he had given his man clear instructions.

‘Marcus, I want you to take all of the men with you and head off after the pirates, I have already sent men to find their trail so you should meet with them and then continue to chase our quarry, but wait for the infantry first, I feel you will need all of the men. When you are done report back to me, and Marcus save the leader for me, I want to kill him myself am I clear?!’

‘Yes Master, abundantly clear. I will bring the dog back in chains or I will not return at all.’

Those last words of Marcus haunted Aulus now, he knew that his man would keep to his word, if he had not returned then somehow the damned Thracian had defeated him. Part of Aulus had wanted to chase after the man himself, but his gut instinct had told him to stay with Numerius, now it would seem he had made the right choice.

The only man he had left was the one who had fetched the surgeon, the other man, the rider who had met with Marcus had been sent off to fetch Set and whatever men he could muster. Things looked bleak indeed, his men were all likely dead, his brother crippled and Jason was still on the loose and now seeking his own head or that of his Nephew’s. The merchant needed a break and he needed it soon.

A polite knocking sounded at the door and Aulus bid them to enter, into the room strode the confident form of Senator Romulus Decius, a fellow merchant, a Patrician, but what’s more a genuine friend of long acquaintance.

‘Aulus, how is your brother my friend?’ the deep bass of Romulus echoed around the bedchamber that now housed Numerius and his ever vigilant brother.

Aulus looked up as his friend came to stand next to him, resting a hand on the merchant’s right shoulder, such a liberty Aulus would only allow to his most trusted and true friends. ‘As well as can be expected after all the blood loss, you’re young surgeon friend asleep over there has performed very well, but I have sent to Rome for a medical man of my acquaintance. I hope you are not offended my friend, I mean no slight on your judgement.’

Romulus looked down at Aulus with a heartfelt smile on his face ‘Bah, its nothing Aulus, I’m sure your man will be the best knowing your choice of professional. I’m just glad that Numerius here is safe in my home and that the bleeding has finally stopped. I can’t tell you how many times he saved my life back in the legions.’

Aulus nodded his thanks; he knew that he had no need for words when talking to Romulus, although now a merchant and that was how he had come to know the Patrician, Romulus had been a young Tribune who had served with Numerius, and the old First Spear had shared an adventure or two with him in his time ‘in the sandals.’ Although Romulus nor Aulus had ever spoke about their times in battle to Aulus, he knew that Romulus held Numerius in the strongest regard, that was why Aulus had had no hesitation in bringing his brother to the Estate of the Patrician.

When Aulus had dispatched the rider to Capua to fetch a Doctor he had told him to head for Romulus first, he was sure the brothers friend would help and he was right, he had dispatched an armed escort and his own personal surgeon, the young man now asleep on the other side of the room.

Aulus stirred a little uncomfortably on his seat but spoke to his friend truthfully if somewhat straightforwardly, ‘I’m afraid I may have frightened your young doctor a little, I told him he would be next if he let Numerius slip away. I’m sorry about that, the emotions rather got away from me, though in truth I would probably have gutted him if he had of failed.’

The smile on Romulus’s face widened even more, and a glint of mischief sparkled in his very un-roman light blue eyes, ‘no matter Aulus, I had already told him the same when I dispatched him to the farm to meet with you!’

Aulus gave a little chuckle with Romulus joining in, for a second or two both men enjoyed a gentler moment, until they heard a commotion from outside the room, coming from the barred gates at the front of the villa.

‘What in Hades is that racket all about?!’ Romulus rushed from the room to identify the source of the commotion, while behind him Aulus reached under his chair and picked up the gladius that had been lying unsheathed beneath his feet.

Romulus left the villa behind him and reached the gates that led to the wider estate in seconds, his lengthy stride eating up the ground at his feet, as he reached the gates he saw that the four men he had left at the entrance to the villa were still on duty. He grabbed a spear from the hands of one of the startled guards who were standing by the locked and barred entrance gates, the very same man had a slightly bemused look on his face, Romulus snapped a question at the oafish looking individual ‘What’s happening, why all the bloody commotion out here?’

The man replied bowing low as he spoke, Romulus recognised him as a new man recently brought into the household, not very bright, but tough looking, ‘Sorry master, its nothing much, just a rough street urchin covered in muck trying to get in through the gates. I’ve told him to get lost.’

Romulus heard a high pitched but indignant shout from the other side of the locked gates, ‘I’m not a street urchin, I’m the ward of Master Aulus, let me in I’ve got important information for him! It’s about Marcus and the men! Please let me in! Tell him it’s Brutus Tigellinus, stop wasting time!’

A vague memory struck at the back of the mind of Romulus, and then he remembered! The boy was the orphaned merchant captain’s son, the one that Aulus had taken under his own wing; Aulus had mentioned him in some correspondence. ‘Open the gates! Now do it! Don’t just stand there you numbskulls!’

The four men moved the locking bar from the gates and then hauled the heavy metal and wooden doors apart, leaving just enough space for a muddy looking lad of about ten to come in, his teeth were chattering and he looked frozen, but he had a determined stamp on his features. ‘I need to see the Master now! It’s about the men, there all…..dead! And I know where the pirates are going; please you must take me to him!’

Although the boy was close to tears, he wasn’t afraid, just filled with grief. Romulus dropped his spear on the ground and took the boy by the hand, he liked him instantly, he reminded the Patrician of a boy of long ago ‘come on lad let’s go and see Aulus.’
    Last edited by Rex Anglorvm; January 24, 2013 at 03:54 AM.

Citizen

Blog Entries

Default Re: Tale of Rome-updated 23/01

Aulus sat pensively by the side of his brother’s sickbed, Numerius’s face looked pale and ghostlike, his brother had lost so much blood that the surgeon that had come to deal with the ex-soldier’s wounds had despaired of being able to save him, Numerius made it clear to the Capuan that if he did not save his patient that he too would be joining him in the afterlife.
    Is that meant to be Aulus?

Great work as ever mate, although do you mind me asking if you proof-read? I'm happy to see an update back out for this. +rep

YES, it is back as Shanky said great to see another update for this!

Is that meant to be Aulus?

Great work as ever mate, although do you mind me asking if you proof-read? I'm happy to see an update back out for this. +rep
    I've changed the para it now reads as Aulus

As for proof reading, it all depends if I have the time, for this one it had a very light touch! Hopefully it didn't show too much

Thought you would be glad to see an update.

YES, it is back as Shanky said great to see another update for this!
    Yes Tig, but what do you think of your apperance at the gates!?