Thread: DynMap and Shop Status

GrnEyedDvl's Avatar Liberalism is a Socially Transmitted Disease
    Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Default DynMap and Shop Status

DynMap I am not going to mess with until 1.1 is up and running stable on both servers.

Shop System: - Subject to testing
    There are a lot of different things I can do here, so I want some input from all players. Give your thoughts on each section please.

1. Single Chests
    There are some single chests in an open market that can be sold. Renting individual chests on a daily/monthly basis would be too much trouble. This is a pain in the ass as I have to enable build rights in the Safe Zone for each player so he can place his sign, and then remove the rights after the sign is placed so he cant grief into hotel rooms and stuff like that. We may end up leaving this section there just for looks, but if we sell these chests then what is a fair price? Remember that each chest you buy can only be used for a single item, but its also permanent.

2. Shops
    I tested this last night with Skivvies. I can create a WorldGuard region around each shop, and add the player that owns/rents this shop to the region members list. He will then be able to change the inside of the shop around however he wants. Add chests/furnaces whatever. But the player will not be able to change the structure of the building itself. The player can then place/change his signs without any input from moderation.

There are two options here. Rent or Buy. If we go with a Rent system then I will have to manage some of this manually as there is no Rental plugin that automatically renews. That means that when a players rental expires someone else could claim it and steal his stuff, which is unacceptable.

What I am thinking is that I rent these out on a real world monthly basis, and that you pay me rent on the 1st of each month. Those that do not pay their rent get evicted and their stuff gets confiscated and I auction it off. Since we all KNOW when the first of the month is, and I can set exceptions if someone is going away on vacation or something like that, this should not be much of a problem.

So my current line of thinking is that I maintain a thread for each month's rent payments. You pay me on the 1st of each month. I just tested this in game, you can send me money when I am not online. You will then post in the thread that your rent for the month has been paid. I will verify this by checking the logs. Once verified I will edit your post to show Verified.

Now since this is a manual system, I dont want to do it more than once a month. Remember that a Minecraft day/night cycle is 20 minutes. This means that in a real world month of 30 days there are 2160 Minecraft days in a month. Keep this in mind when calculating what you think is a fair price for rent.

3. Apartments -
    Work the same as Shops, except the only person who can enter the apartment is the owner. They would be able to change the inside of the apartment, but not the actual building structure. This would be for factionless people who do not want to join a faction right off the bat, but want more space than their hotel room so they can have more chests to store stuff. Or maybe they just want to be on the server without getting involved in faction wars but will still fight in the wilderness.

4. Mansions
    Exensive! But show off your MC money making skills. Buy a large mansion inside the Safe Zone for you or for your faction. This would be a permanent residence.

5. Faction Teleports
    Buy a Teleport Portal from the Safe Zone to a location inside your factions property that only your faction members can use to go to and from the Safe Zone. This would be permanent, so expect it to be expensive.

Buy a second teleport that anyone can use to teleport to and from the Safe Zone. If you set up your own Market Village inside your factions land to avoid paying rent in the Safe Zone this will give your customers a way to shop in your village. In times of war just block off the Safe Zone portal so enemies cannot use it to teleport into your property.

I want ideas on all of these. What you like, what you dont like, how much it should cost, etc.
    Last edited by GrnEyedDvl; January 25, 2012 at 12:55 PM.

Default Re: DynMap and Shop Status

Faction portals, you wouldn't have to pay to use them once they're purchased? Any idea on how much you'd want for them?
    Under the Patronage of Leonidas the Lion|Patron of Imperator of Rome - Dewy - Crazyeyesreaper|American and Proud

Lord Romanus III's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Bolkonsky View Post
    Faction portals, you wouldn't have to pay to use them once they're purchased? Any idea on how much you'd want for them?
    I'm personally pushing for at least 10,000. They shouldn't be that easy to get, as they're quite amazing when you think about how they can render thousands of block distance irrelevant.

Then I'd go for more like 25k. 10 can be had in a day easily.
    Under the Patronage of Leonidas the Lion|Patron of Imperator of Rome - Dewy - Crazyeyesreaper|American and Proud

High Chunker Greens's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I'd have gone with 20k to be honest. 10k for the second portal.

10-20k sounds pretty reasonable to me. The point, after all, is not to completely prevent factions from using them. Ideally, most/all factions would have one, so that an economy can really get started. Hard to trade when you have to haul your goods thousands of blocks and risk being killed en route.
    You're forgetting, Lindsay, that as a psychiatrist, I was a professional twice over - an analyst and a therapist. The world's first "analrapist".

Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bolkonsky View Post
    Faction portals, you wouldn't have to pay to use them once they're purchased?
    No. At least that is my idea.

Any idea on how much you'd want for them?
    Fairly expensive.

With the Shops I got it working and tested a shop with Joss. Now its just a matter of price and how to handle the various details.

Quote Originally Posted by 10greenbottles View Post
    I'd have gone with 20k to be honest. 10k for the second portal.
    I want to make sure I understand what you mean here.

So 25 k for the first one that is locked to your faction. And if you then want the second portal that lets anyone travel to your land it should be 10k?

Remlap's Avatar Lag Slayer

That does make sense, but I think factions should pay at least 20k that is 8 chunks worth of money and a hard decision. The second portal should be at least the same amount, this might result in factions not buying that portal however if they get a good trade flowing out of it then it is worth it. I would even go so far as to say that factions get the revenue to that portal. So a wise faction could claim land in a central area and charge newer factions to use it.

Why must these portals be permanent. It would be better if there were a maintainence cost associated with the portals, perhaps like the shop rent, so that not only do you have to make a significant investment for a portal, but remain active and powerful. If you can assemble 10 people and mine for a couple days (portal companies anyone? ), portals would pop up everywhere. If not, one month into the server they will. So hopefully that is an option that can be considered.

I would even go so far as to say that factions get the revenue to that portal. So a wise faction could claim land in a central area and charge newer factions to use it.
    And this, a very good idea.
    Developer of The Great War | Leader of WW2: Sandstorm | Under the Woolen Patronage of Mitch | King of All

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Van Tromp View Post
    History has always been a bit of the State's slut.

Nah I wouldn't do portal rent, it just wouldn't be worth it when you consider how expensive land is. Tbh, the best idea is to make them very expensive. Otherwise people will just walk it, it only took me two days to get from the Wicked Men base to the Safe Zone on foot.

Magister Militum Flavius Aetius's Avatar Aetī Avēas!
    Civitate

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Portals would be good only if they shut down if the faction was at war. And Portals should be outside the walls of another faction so that way other factions still have to break through walls if at war or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix
    Well then Attila just got delicious.
    Under the Patronage of Pikestance

Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Magister Militum Flavius Aetius View Post
    Portals would be good only if they shut down if the faction was at war. And Portals should be outside the walls of another faction so that way other factions still have to break through walls if at war or not.
    You might want to reread that post of mine.

Portals are for FACTION MEMBERS ONLY.

They can CHOOSE to buy a second portal that lets anyone tp to them, and can close it during war.

Inarus's Avatar In Laziness We Trust

Can you move these portals once they are placed? Say there was some interior redecorating, for example? And then what if you move base altogether?

Just wondered about how these things work.

Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Its possible to move them but its a pain in the ass.

IZob's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Romanus III View Post
    I'm personally pushing for at least 10,000. They shouldn't be that easy to get, as they're quite amazing when you think about how they can render thousands of block distance irrelevant.
    How about a regular cost for usage? The portal can be built anywhere inside a faction (once purchased), but to use the portal would still cost money.
    Contact me on Steam: steamcommunity.com/id/IZob/ or send a PM.

Civitate

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Like mybe at a lower price though, 50 a trip instead of 100

A regular cost for usage would just make trade more expensive and stymie the economy. It's not like these are used to teleport into enemy bases, just to make trade easier and less expensive, in both time and money.
    You're forgetting, Lindsay, that as a psychiatrist, I was a professional twice over - an analyst and a therapist. The world's first "analrapist".

Civitate

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Whats he word on dynmap?