Thread: Tomb of The Unknown Soldier

Hub'ite's Avatar Primicerius

Default Tomb of The Unknown Soldier

Tomb of the Unknowns

The Tomb of the Unknowns (also known as the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, although it has never been officially named) is a monument in Arlington National Cemetery, United States dedicated to the American soldiers who have died without their remains being identified.
    The Tomb of the Unknowns. The World War I unknown is below the marble sarcophagus. Other unknowns are beneath the white slabs on the ground. They are the World War II unknown (left), and the Korean War unknown (right) The remains of the former Vietnam unknown were under the middle slab until 1998 when he was identified by DNA analysis as Michael Blassie.
    The Tomb of the Unknowns. The World War I unknown is below the marble sarcophagus. Other unknowns are beneath the white slabs on the ground. They are the World War II unknown (left), and the Korean War unknown (right) The remains of the former Vietnam unknown were under the middle slab until 1998 when he was identified by DNA analysis as Michael Blassie.

In late 1920 the United Kingdom had buried one of their unknown warriors in Westminster Abbey. France soon followed with their Tomb of the Unknown Soldier beneath the Arc de Triomphe, and on March 4, 1921, the United States Congress approved the burial of an unidentified American soldier from World War I in the plaza of the new Memorial Amphitheater.

The white marble sarcophagus has a flat-faced form and is relieved at the corners and along the sides by neo-classic pilasters, or columns, set into the surface. The stone was quarried in Marble, Colorado. Sculpted into the east panel which faces Washington, D.C., are three Greek figures representing Peace, Victory, and Valor. Inscribed on the western panel of the Tomb are the words:

HERE RESTS IN
    HONORED GLORY
    AN AMERICAN
    SOLDIER
    KNOWN BUT TO GOD

The six wreaths carved into the north and south of the tomb represent six major battles of World War I: Chateau-Thierry, the Ardennes, Oisiu-Eisue, Meuse-Argonne, Belleau Wood and the Somme.

The Tomb sarcophagus was placed above the grave of the Unknown Soldier of World War I. West of the World War I Unknown are the crypts of unknowns from World War II (north) and Korea (south). Between the two lies a crypt which once contained an unknown from Vietnam (middle). His remains were identified in 1998 and removed. Those three graves are marked with white marble slabs flush with the plaza.

The Tomb Guards

It is considered one of the highest honors to serve as a Sentinel for the graves of the Unknown Soldiers. Over 80% of soldiers who try out for this duty do not make it. The sentinels do not wear a badge of rank on their uniforms, so they do not outrank the Unknowns, whatever their rank may have been.

Walking the Mat

There is a meticulous ritual the guard follows when watching over the graves:

1. The soldier walks 21 steps across the Tomb. This alludes to the 21-gun salute, which is the highest honor given to any military or foreign dignitary. His weapon is always on the shoulder opposite the Tomb (i.e., on the side of the gallery watching the ritual).
    2. On the 21st step, the soldier turns and faces the Tomb for 21 seconds.
    3. The soldier then turns to face the other way across the Tomb and changes his weapon to the outside shoulder.
    4. After 21 seconds, the first step is repeated.

This is repeated until the soldier is relieved of duty at the Changing of the Guards.
    Changing of the Guards at the Tomb of the Unknowns. Assistant Relief Commander at left, Guard passing orders in center, and Guard receiving orders at right. The tomb is behind the Assistant Relief Commander.
    Enlarge
    Changing of the Guards at the Tomb of the Unknowns. Assistant Relief Commander at left, Guard passing orders in center, and Guard receiving orders at right. The tomb is behind the Assistant Relief Commander.

Changing of the Guards

During the summer months, from March 15 to September 30, the guard is changed every half hour. During the winter months, from October 1 to March 14, the guard is changed every hour.

The ceremony can be witnessed by the public whenever Arlington National Cemetery is open.

Dedication

The Tomb of the Unknowns has been guarded continuously, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, since July 1, 1937. Inclement weather does not cause the watch to cease. Even for soldiers, the guards are extremely disciplined and will not show the effect the weather may have on them.

The Tomb Guards, the 3rd United States Infantry (The Old Guard), make personal sacrifices to have the honor of serving. They work on a team rotation of 24 hours on, 24 hours off, 24 on, 24 off, 24 on, and 96 hours off. An average guard takes 8 hours to prepare his uniform (which is solid wool--regardless of the time of year) for the next day's work. In addition to preparing the uniform, guards also complete physical training, Tomb Guard training, cut their hair before the next work day, and shave twice per day.

A special Army decoration, the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier Guard Identification Badge is authorized for permanent award to a Tomb Guard only after a period of nine months of duty as well as a passing a detailed test of 100 questions (from a pool of more than 300). Since 1959, less than 550 Army servicemen have been awarded this badge. The only badge awarded fewer times is the Astronaut Badge.

I had the honor and priviledge of watching this amazing ceremony. The discipline and dedication these men give the unknown soldiers is moving. Its one of the most emotional times that I've had in my life.

EDIT. Sorry forgot to source Wiki. Source
    Last edited by Hub'ite; May 26, 2006 at 08:30 PM.

therussian's Avatar Use your imagination

Default Re: Tomb of The Unknown Soldier

Ya, i have seen the American ceremony once also. The Russian/Soviet one is amazing also. The last time I saw it was 6 years ago. The soldiers don't march like the American ones, instead they walk tips first (instead of heels).

I think it has a lot more meaning in Russia, considering it lost MUCH more troops than any country (in WWII), and it's a given that a large amount of the deceased were unknown.

Still, a very moving ceremony

House of the Caesars | Under the Patronage of Comrade Trance Crusader. Proud Patron of Comrades Shadow_Imperator, Zenith Darksea, Final Frontier and Plutarch | Second Generation| ex-Eagle Standard Editor| Consilium de Civitate | Album Reviews

I remember watching it a few years ago. It is one of the most moving ceremonies in America, all the more so because it goes on 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be used until they try and take it away.
    Staff Officer of Corporal_Hicks in the Legion of Rahl
    Commanding Katrina, Crimson Scythe, drak10687 and Leonidas the Lion

Scarecrow's Avatar Ducenarius

When did u take these pics. I just got back from d.c on tusday. That was the second time i saw it. Pretty intersting. But when i went this time, On marine had a rank on his shoulder, strange.
    Legate to the Legio I Latina
    Grand Master of the Order of New Templar's

Farnan's Avatar Saviors of the Japanese
    Right behind you starring over your shoulder.

Quote Originally Posted by Fireychariot
    When did u take these pics. I just got back from d.c on tusday. That was the second time i saw it. Pretty intersting. But when i went this time, On marine had a rank on his shoulder, strange.
    THEY ARE NOT MARINES, THEY ARE SOLDIERS capitalized for emphasis, they are and have always been from the Army, not the Marine Corps.
    “The nation that will insist upon drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting done by fools and its thinking by cowards.”

—Sir William Francis Butler

It isn't a rank insignia, it is part of the uniform. The men on duty are Enlisted men and wear their rank on the sleeve. Look at the Pictures, no rank insignia present.
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be used until they try and take it away.
    Staff Officer of Corporal_Hicks in the Legion of Rahl
    Commanding Katrina, Crimson Scythe, drak10687 and Leonidas the Lion

Those aren't my pictures. I got them off Wiki. Although I do have my own pictures from when I went.

Your name is unknown, your deed is immortal

1941 - To Those Who Have Fallen For The Motherland - 1945

For you, comrades

House of the Caesars | Under the Patronage of Comrade Trance Crusader. Proud Patron of Comrades Shadow_Imperator, Zenith Darksea, Final Frontier and Plutarch | Second Generation| ex-Eagle Standard Editor| Consilium de Civitate | Album Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by therussian

Your name is unknown, your deed is immortal

1941 - To Those Who Have Fallen For The Motherland - 1945

For you, comrades
    Is the Russian Unknown guarded all day everyday? I would love to see that.

John I Tzimisces's Avatar Get born again.

I've been to the tomb of the Unknown Soldier in DC. The ceremony of the changing of the guard is really something to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Hub'ite
    Is the Russian Unknown guarded all day everyday? I would love to see that.
    Yes, I'm pretty sure it is.

cegorach's Avatar Artifex

Polish Tomb of the unknown soldier.

It was build before the Second WW, but was destroyed by the Germans. Only a part of this was rebuilt to remind about the war and because the Communists tried to hijack the idea by reminding only the battles they liked i.e. all except those against Russia or Soviet Union.

Fortunatelly the SU no longer exists so it ws possible to honour all major battles were Polish army was fighting starting from Xth century.

I was in Warsaw this winter and made couple of photographs.

Soldiers of course guard it all the time, 24 hours per day.

Regards Cegorach :original:
    Enemy of 'illiberal democracies', member of the B.A.L.T.S.
    VISIT Pike and Musket forums VISIT the amazing site about PLC
    under the patronage of the mighty ASTERIX

Ahlerich's Avatar Praeses

i wish you would see parades like that in germany

in italy there is also a tomb of the unkwon soldier of ww1..lol that soldier for sure fought against germany and austria an when hitler made a one wekk visit in italy he visited the tomb..

Ahlerich's Avatar Praeses

so its the tomb of an italian soldier? i guess he was shot in the back ,-)
    just kidding

Garbarsardar's Avatar Et Slot i et slot
    Patrician Tribune Citizen Magistrate Administrator Emeritus

In Greece it is right in the center of the capital, in front of the Parliament building. Just so we don't loose perspective. In the insrcriptions you can see Korea and El Alamein, amongst other places...

carl-the-conqueror's Avatar Centenarius

i thought the was in france under the arc d'triumphe, then in the kremlin at russia near the body of lenin i thought there was only one.

has every country got a tomb ?