Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: what side you sympathize with, North or South?

Bwaho's Avatar Puppeteer
    From the kingdom of heaven by the powah of the holy spirit

Default Re: what side you sympathize with, North or South?

In the Constitution there is a clause about not being able to succeed from the Union, no matter what
    I would very much like to see that clause, could you find it for me?

why would u want slavery
    It's not about slavery, it's about state rights.

JP226's Avatar Dux Limitis

Except for Bwaho, nobodys explaining why they chose south. Do you agree with slavery?

I think this thread needs a north or south poll.
    in simple terms, the south wanted to preserve state rights and the north wanted centralized rule.

in more complex terms: It was power struggle more than anything. The south traditionally had controlled the presidency and the north had controlled the house due to overwhelming pop. The senate was always mixed between the two and we can see this struggle in peratining to comprises made time and time again after every new state admitted to the union. In the south's mind they wanted to maintain the status quo, they were an agricultural based economy and weren't going anywhere. The north was an up and coming power, and the first step on that route was domination of the south.
    Sure I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is Im not. I honestly feel that America is the best country and all other countries aren't as good. That used to be called patriotism.

Supporters of the CSA always say it was about States Rights and not slavery, which is a bunch of crap. The United States, the legitimate nation said that they invaded the south because of their Treason and Rebellion and later because they were freeing the Slaves. If the southerners didn't want it to be about slavery, which was a huge problem leading up to the Civil War, then why didn't they free the slaves or at least try to appease the Union in some way.
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be used until they try and take it away.
    Staff Officer of Corporal_Hicks in the Legion of Rahl
    Commanding Katrina, Crimson Scythe, drak10687 and Leonidas the Lion

Bwaho's Avatar Puppeteer
    From the kingdom of heaven by the powah of the holy spirit

Supporters of the CSA always say it was about States Rights and not slavery, which is a bunch of crap.
    Well to be blunt, that sounds like the overly simplified reasons they give in school books.

I find it funny how people believe the north would sacrifice everything to save people (blacks) they couldn't care less about. It's time you people face the facts and use logic to come to reasonable conclusions.

Hub'ite's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Mudd
    Supporters of the CSA always say it was about States Rights and not slavery, which is a bunch of crap. The United States, the legitimate nation said that they invaded the south because of their Treason and Rebellion and later because they were freeing the Slaves. If the southerners didn't want it to be about slavery, which was a huge problem leading up to the Civil War, then why didn't they free the slaves or at least try to appease the Union in some way.
    This has been beaten to death a million times. The South didn't want some foriegner(to them) telling them what they could or could not do. So in essence, state rights. The majority of Southern Generals and soldiers didn't own slaves.

At first it wasn't about slaves, but then Lincoln made the war about slavery.
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be used until they try and take it away.
    Staff Officer of Corporal_Hicks in the Legion of Rahl
    Commanding Katrina, Crimson Scythe, drak10687 and Leonidas the Lion

Only to get world support and to keep Britain out of the war. It has nothing to do about the slaves themselves, they didn't care.

Quote Originally Posted by Fireychariot
    The north want to preserve the union in the beginng while the south want to preserve the southern way of life. Im German, and Irish while i live in northern Jersey. I am USA ALL THE WAY!!!!!! Like the one guy said if u go south u sickin me, why would u want slavery. It was like hitler and the jews.
    Then you lack understanding of what was going thru the minds of south if you think it was a Hitler like thing. Slavery was one component of the civil war (lets not forget that its not like all northern whites were too thrilled at the prospect of ending slavery, especially business end of it which profited from it) a bigger part of it was the south seeing its voice/influence/concerns being diminished by a north that was growing in power and wealth. Its not a huge stretch to think that if you were a southern you'd face a future where the north basically dictated to you policy. Again remember its not like the average citizen of the north went we must go free the slaves, for the most part the average citizen didnt really care.

Bingo, right on the mark. He did and rightfully so but remember even Lincoln hedged his bet initially, to think however it was all about slavery though is an absolute mistake.

Shadows's Avatar Lurking unseen...........

Quote Originally Posted by Bwaho
    I would very much like to see that clause, could you find it for me?
    Sure
    Quote Originally Posted by Article 1
    Section 10. No state shall enter into any treaty, alliance, or confederation; grant letters of marque and reprisal; coin money; emit bills of credit; make anything but gold and silver coin a tender in payment of debts; pass any bill of attainder, ex post facto law, or law impairing the obligation of contracts, or grant any title of nobility.

No state shall, without the consent of the Congress, lay any imposts or duties on imports or exports, except what may be absolutely necessary for executing it's inspection laws: and the net produce of all duties and imposts, laid by any state on imports or exports, shall be for the use of the treasury of the United States; and all such laws shall be subject to the revision and control of the Congress.

No state shall, without the consent of Congress, lay any duty of tonnage, keep troops, or ships of war in time of peace, enter into any agreement or compact with another state, or with a foreign power, or engage in war, unless actually invaded, or in such imminent danger as will not admit of delay.
    Bolded the important aspects. Nowhere does it come out straightforward and say no succeeding, since who would of thought of that being a possible scenario??
    But basically, the Constitution disallows states to "enter into any agreement or compact with another state, or with a foreign power". Now IMO that is pretty obvious evidence that the states canot leave the Union as they did.

Link, Section 10 at the bottom of the page.

Which he didn't have to do, he only had to quote the section of the Constitution that I used above, then the declaration of war on the South would have been justified.
    IN PATROCINUVM SVB Virgil (aka 1hHoplite) (1hHoplite's Chaos of Battle Picture Thread)
    Brother to the chivalrous lord, The White Knight, the Evil Einstein of the East, darkragnar and mi nuevo hermano, Ramon Gonzales y Garcia.
    Winner of the Second General Trivia Competition

Legio XX Valeria Victrix's Avatar Great Scott!

Aw man, if I wasn't going to watch the Da Vinci Code right now, I would reply. I'll have to do that when I get back...

All you Southerners behave yourselves!

"For what is the life of a man, if it is not interwoven with the life of former generations by a sense of history?" - Cicero

Confederate Soldier's Avatar Ordinarius

Damn that’s a hard one I think ill have to get back to you with that one . The funny thing I see so far is the people who are for the North say that all who are for the South are sicking, and even Nazis. Wow. This just shows the difference. I like many Southerners respect the Union and Northern cause. But it seems that if you ask the North its just South=100% evil and are Nazis.

Many in the North didn’t even want to fight. Look at all the rioting in the North. Many in the North and even Canada was secretly rooting for the Confederacy. Don’t believe me? Well do some researching of a little group called the K.G.C. Knights Of The Golden Circle. The power these guys had in the north is strange.
    Proud Crusader for the F.A.I.T.H. and Gunslinger for DIXIE
    People don’t want to live in a world where god’s fight amongst each other, One God is Enough! -Alex Rosewater

Quote Originally Posted by Confederate Soldier
    Many in the North didn’t even want to fight. Look at all the rioting in the North. Many in the North and even Canada was secretly rooting for the Confederacy. Don’t believe me? Well do some researching of a little group called the K.G.C. Knights Of The Golden Circle. The power these guys had in the north is strange.

Many, not all though. True, many riots and such did occur, but what was the reason for the riots?? Linkage please??

K.G.C. may have had a chunk of power, but at that time the only thing you needed to have power was men and guns. Look at the Missouri and Mississippi bushwhackers, they had plenty of power in their respective regions, mind you they did kill some of their opposition.
    IN PATROCINUVM SVB Virgil (aka 1hHoplite) (1hHoplite's Chaos of Battle Picture Thread)
    Brother to the chivalrous lord, The White Knight, the Evil Einstein of the East, darkragnar and mi nuevo hermano, Ramon Gonzales y Garcia.

As a Californian, my side is the south. No i am not "white", but rather "hispanic". I go for the south, in that they had the right to leave, and the north, well lincoln, started the war, so cannot blaim the south for defending their lands. -Leon

Quote Originally Posted by invictus
    As a Californian, my sympathy lies with the south. No i am not "white", but rather "hispanic". I go for the south, in that they had the right to leave, and the north, well lincoln, started the war, so cannot blaim the south for defending their lands. -Leon
    Nah, dead wrong. The South did not have the right to leave, read my post five above yours. It clearly illustrates the illegal act that the South did commit. And Lincoln started the war, so, what would you have done if you were him??? Let the South leave? even if it did violate the Consititution that the South ratified and agreed to follow?

Quote Originally Posted by Shadows
    Nah, dead wrong. The South did not have the right to leave, read my post five above yours. It clearly illustrates the illegal act that the South did commit. And Lincoln started the war, so, what would you have done if you were him??? Let the South leave? even if it did violate the Consititution that the South ratified and agreed to follow?
    Thats what some Northerners wanted. Give the South what they wanted. No need to kill 600,000 Americans over it.

I'm a native Californian so I don't have strong feelings either way. I am slightly sympathetic to the south since they were the underdogs and the ones invaded. However, I would definately fight for the union if I were alive at the time since I'm American and have no loyalty to the south.
    In patronicum sub: .Spartan.
    Vive L'Empereur

Quote Originally Posted by Hub'ite
    Thats what some Northerners wanted. Give the South what they wanted.
    That may be, but it doesn't change the fact that the South violated the Constitution and left the Union. Thereby justifying the war.

Quote Originally Posted by Vercingetorix
    I'm a native Californian so I don't have strong feelings either way. I am slightly sympathetic to the south since they were the underdogs and the ones invaded.
    Same as above. They were justifiably invaded.

So because the constitution did not mention leaving the union, we HAVE to assume you cant? How does that make sense? -Leon

orange slice's Avatar Ducenarius

Always been a yankee, because i believe in fighting agianst slavery

Member of the TWC History Club

Quote Originally Posted by orange slice
    Always been a yankee, because i believe in fighting agianst slavery
    War wasn't over slavery, sorry. The North or South didn't care about the blacks, they were 2nd class citizens.(if even that)