Thread: Dismountable Cavalry

Pyrrha's Avatar Laetus

Default Dismountable Cavalry

Hello everyone! This being my very first post on TWC, I wanted to bring something along with me hoping there isn't already such a mod around.

As its name suggests, the Dismountable Cavalry mod allows vanilla cavalry units to dismount. Unfortunatly it does work on camel riders, lancers, native axe cavalry and mounted archers due to missing animations. I also added some minor tweaks like firearms to European, Ottoman and Eastern general bodyguard units.

[Screenshots coming, I'm just looking for how to put images and spoilers in a post ]

There is no bug I know about in this mod. However, it will not work on custom units, nor with another mod changing cavalry units stats unless it is in last position in the script.

Any bug report or feedback is welcome.

Thanks to LtChambers for his Pack File Manager and for everyone who's going to enjoy this little mod!

Regards,
    Pyrrha7118

Latin Knight's Avatar Miles

Default Re: Dismountable Cavalry

Welcome to the TW forums!

I guess its kinda unusual for a new member to introduce himself with a mod for download . I've not downloaded it because my ETW is actually uninstalled, but seems a good idea to have cavalry dismountable, it will surely allow more tactical flexibility in the battlefield.

I just have one question, i understand its useful when you have cavalry like Dragoons, which dismount and use firearms, but are you modding normal heavy and light cavalry to dismount? Do they use guns or are simply a melee unit?

Because if that's the case, i guess i'd advise you raise the number of men per cavalry unit, so they won't have disadvantage against regular infantry forces (or tweak their stats, so they can last longer in the battlefield, for example). Sorry if i'm saying crap, as i'm not really into modding, especially unit stats.

P.S.: Spoilers you use the red exclamation mark (!) in the tools bar above the blank box where you write. To insert a picture, you use the symbol of a yellow photograph with two mountains, right in the middle of the tools bar. And to upload an image you must use an image-host uploader (imageshack, imgur, tinypic, all those are free), and paste the adress in this format: [IMG]xxxxxxxx[/IMG] (usually those image uploader sites provide a ready http// adress for you to paste in thread forums).

Pyrrha's Avatar Laetus

Welcome to the TW forums!

I guess its kinda unusual for a new member to introduce himself with a mod for download . I've not downloaded it because my ETW is actually uninstalled, but seems a good idea to have cavalry dismountable, it will surely allow more tactical flexibility in the battlefield.
    Thank you!

I just have one question, i understand its useful when you have cavalry like Dragoons, which dismount and use firearms, but are you modding normal heavy and light cavalry to dismount? Do they use guns or are simply a melee unit?

Because if that's the case, i guess i'd advise you raise the number of men per cavalry unit, so they won't have disadvantage against regular infantry forces (or tweak their stats, so they can last longer in the battlefield, for example). Sorry if i'm saying crap, as i'm not really into modding, especially unit stats.
    Well I have been studying the balance of cavalry units trying to increase their dismounted abilities. However, my main problem seems to be that (of course) they are balanced as a cavalry unit, which makes it difficult to change their infantry stats without unbalancing them and making them too effective when mounted. The best change I found till now is decreasing their horses' hit points and increasing their defence ability. Although that still makes them quite too good when mounted. As a matter of fact, I can't find the right changes to make and am still looking for the right balance. As for the tactical use of them, well I personally find their dismountable ability very useful in siege battles, where they can be a few more hands using a siege canon, some good swords for stopping climbing enemies or even just a good bait to lure the enemy into a building you would then destroy.

Anyway, there still is some work to be done and I'm on it!

Regards,
    Pyrrha7118

carricanta's Avatar Going Nowhere Fast!

Well, perhaps the more easy would be give firearms to the cavalry. Historically pistols and muskets were used by cavalry but the first weapon was -obviusly- the sword. +rep for you mod, dude.

Rebelyell's Avatar Biarchus

It did fine at giving my Generals pistols (great idea for an addition! You'd think that an army commander would have more defense than just a cavalry sword) but none of my dismount outside of the usual Dragoons. Any idea what might be causing it? I can't think of any mods that could be conflicting with that unless one has changed the stats for Cavalry without my knowledge.
    "All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible."
    -T.E. Lawrence