Thread: Impression from the days gone by of the FATW

czePowerslave's Avatar Primicerius

Default Impression from the days gone by of the FATW

Hola folks,

first of all let me give you a kudos for job being done with this mod. Really nice, great n great. Nows, I used to play this a while back when I had my RTW madness era, which seems to be reoccuring much like my cold every year.

Since I always fancied playing the Gondor boys with shields and shiny helmets, that was my obvious pick. Well, what troubles me - never ever was I able to raise even some cash to garrison at least some city or maintain more then garrison at the Osgiliath. Is there some catch to getting some coin while keeping at least some population growth? Also why does Rohan always declared war on me after few turns? ^^

I want to get back to playing this but im quite unsure to risk this again and failing even after few turns with no hope to defend anything.

Cheers
    -R

Roman Rebel
    Installation FAQ + troubleshooting
    We shall stand side by side even unto death. SPQR for life.
    Mgr. Šohaj Pavel

Default Re: Impression from the days gone by of the FATW

Capturing Minas Ithil and Emyn Arnen should do wonders for your treasury and population.

Anything in terms of build up?

Roman Rebel
    Mgr. Šohaj Pavel

It's been a long time since I played a campaign on TNS!

Well, population means both taxes and troops, so start with farms. Ports are also a good option. Upgrade barracks only in your eastern regions at first (MA already starts with good capabilities), and use the more peaceful parts of the kingdom for money-making.

I hope someone with more recent experience can give you better advice. There was a guide on RK somewhere around the forums...

Thangaror's Avatar Senator

Try to unit your fleets at first, you can repel some of Harad's attacks and delay the naval blockade for two or three turns. Due to the superior Haradrian navy (though I actually managed to hold them back in some campaigns) ports are actually not a good idea to built.
    So farms and markets should be built first.
    I would rather have a memory that is fair but unfinished than one that goes on to a grievous end.

Aikanár's Avatar no vaseline
    Blog Entries

Get Emyn Arnen and Minas Ithil in the first 3-4 turns. Then nearly all your financial troubles are gone.
    Ah, and you can as well disband all your ships. Admittedly you can't protect your ports no more, but you save a LOT of mony, upkeep for ships is very expensive.
    Sure thing, the blockades will reduce you trade income, but they'll never block all ports.

Edit: here's the guide Aradan was taking about.
    Last edited by Aikanár; January 25, 2012 at 01:08 PM. Reason: guide

Son of Louis Lux, brother of MaxMazi, father of Squeaks, Makrell, Kaiser Leonidas, Iskar, Neadal, Sheridan, Bercor and HigoChumbo, house of Siblesz

Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.

Thangaror's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Aikanár View Post
    Ah, and you can as well disband all your ships. Admittedly you can't protect your ports no more, but you save a LOT of mony, upkeep for ships is very expensive.
    Sure thing, the blockades will reduce you trade income, but they'll never block all ports.
    Well, they don't need to. If they block Linhir and Pelargir sea trade is prohibited completely. MT is too far away from Dol Amroth IIRC.
    Nevertheless, you shouldn't abandon all ships and but keep one at MT and one at Dol Amroth for transportation. They can be really useful.
    I would rather have a memory that is fair but unfinished than one that goes on to a grievous end.

Aikanár's Avatar no vaseline
    Blog Entries

Sure they can
    There are a lot of nice bits of strategy, especially when it comes to quick transports combined with blockading the fords and bridges.
    It all comes down to the approach one is taking. When I'm playing FA:TW I'm always more reading and enjoying the flair and am only advancing fast in the first 10 turns.
    Get to the fords of Poros, geht Minas Ithil and then take your time.
    I used to love to culture (religion) convert neighboring regions and take them later. Well, well, some old fashioned M-e dreamer here, but I really liked a slow pace in FA:TW, totally different from other M-e Mods.

Son of Louis Lux, brother of MaxMazi, father of Squeaks, Makrell, Kaiser Leonidas, Iskar, Neadal, Sheridan, Bercor and HigoChumbo, house of Siblesz

Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.

Spike's Avatar Primicerius

it matters in the very start, gather everything near Minas Tirith, and assault Minas Ithil IMMEDIATELY, there should be no economic problem afterwards.

Annokerate Koriospera Yuinete Kuliansa

Well well.
    You can go on guessing, what i will be doing tonight thanks!

Roman Rebel
    Mgr. Šohaj Pavel