View Poll Results: What race would be living in middle-earth during the third age?

Voters
419. You may not vote on this poll
  • Man (good)

99 23.63%
  • Dwarf

40 9.55%
  • Elf

156 37.23%
  • Hobbit

35 8.35%
  • Orc

5 1.19%
  • Troll

4 0.95%
  • Nazgul

31 7.40%
  • Ent

20 4.77%
  • Goblin

2 0.48%
  • Man (evil)

27 6.44%
Page 13 of 32 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Which race of middle-earth would you be and why? (Read First Post)

trivork's Avatar Foederatus

Default Re: Which race of middle-earth would you be and why?

I want to be a Valar

Incredible Bulk's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by Mhaedros View Post
    They are certainly not Scottish. John Rhys-Davies, who played Gimli in the movies is Welsh. Billy Boyd (Pippin) is Scottish tho
    Funny thing is in the game the Dwarves say Scotland. A victory for Scotland, I can see how person who is not familiar with the books or even the film but only with the game can come up with the assumption the dwarves are Scottish.

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

That's cause the team where too lazy to make new sounds for them

Quote Originally Posted by trivork View Post
    I want to be a Valar
    I'm guessing you either want to be all Valar, or a Vala, cause that sentence is incorrect
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

Macilrille's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by CannabisMaximus View Post
    Ya I would be a Stoney hobbit too.. That nice hole in the ground.. Cute beardless women... Best weed in middle earth... And the occasional adventure from time to time.

And dwarves are clumsy... In the simularian(sp) dwarves were made from a rouge like god if I remember in the blue mountains he put them. The elves and the other gods were disguisted by the short stocky creation compared to the immortal elves..... In lotr gimli is who gave them away in the forest. He also knocked himself over trying to destroy the ring...

For the point about the hobbit... Yea it was written for kids but still very serious and adult... What kind understands the mechanics behind ambushing dwarves militarily or what a siege consisted of.... Let's just say the hobbit can speak to both age groups... It is still my fav of the stories because I love dwarves. And Thorin Oakenshield is perhaps the most epic dude in all lotr themed books... Along with bard the archer such a grim man. (lakemen are my second choice btw of who I would choose to be... I love the lakemen of Dale and laketown) the hobbit was dark and should be read both as a kid and as an adult... Also bard himself commented on durin's company "these dwarves leave themselves open on both flanks we could kill them all in one attack... They may know how to fight in their mines but it seems they know nothing of surface warfare.." perhaps not clumsy but although they are pretty much indefeatabe in stand up battle... The books point out their inability to operate on the surface effectively...

Interesting how you know and appreciate The Hobbit intimately, but quotes those F*ing, crappy, un-loreish films. The way PJ portrays Dwarves is one of the things that really riles me about LoTR. He takes the silliest Salvatore Dorfs of Forgotten Realms and transfers them to replace the noble (if greedy and selfish on occasion) beings of Middle Earth. Gimli, a noble being and faithful friend, is portrayed as a stupid, bumbling and primitive oaf that makes Thorin & company at their worst look like Legolas at his best.

Silmarillion tells us that Aulë longed for the Children of Iluvatar to appear and thus created The Fathers of Dwarves, but that only Iluvatar could actually create and give real life (In HOME we see that should Melkor/Morgoth have won, the recreation of everything in his name would not have happened, but that he would have been left with nothing but imitation at best. There is also some discussion on Orcs' origins). Iluvatar remonstrated with Aulë and "The Smith" turned to destroy his 7 creations they covered in fear and thus had been granted life by Iluvatar. Who made them sleep in seven different places in Middle-Earth till after the awakening of Elves. Durin founded Khazad-Dûm, two others founded Nogrod and Belegost in the Blue Mountains, others founded holds elsewhere.

Less weed - more read ;-) though I imagine reading The Narn while high would be an emotional rollercoaster. And that any Tolkien work would be worth trying in like circumstance. Interesting thought...

But guys; you do realise that the weed Tolkien is talking about is merely tobacco?

---------------------------------------

Anyways, I choose Good Men. But Hobbit was a close second, they do seem to know how to enjoy life as a default behavior.

But Good Men because I basically am. And Being Danish I would probably be the Rohir-Woodman-Beorning-Dale type. Though I quite like the Dúnedain (and my experience seems to be much like Turin's in many respects). As for profession I have been in my life a carpenter, soldier and taken a university degree in history, and I am a Viking fighting re-enactor and has been our warleader several times. These days I am suffering from numerous permanent injuries from the Viking fighting, and cannot fight full force any longer.

So I guess I would be a higher-ranking Rohir/Gondorian officer or historian after 20- 25 years of fighting and commanding troops, and would be on the lookout for a younger wife to settle down with, for I had not had the time before.

Quote Originally Posted by Macilrille View Post
    But guys; you do realise that the weed Tolkien is talking about is merely tobacco?
    Our love of the halflings' leaf has clearly slowed our minds.

trivork's Avatar Foederatus

My excuses for my terrible foult. My English grammer is not realy good.

Probably better than my Dutch ;-)

Gallus's Avatar Protector Domesticus

My excuses for my terrible fault. My Elvish grammar is not really good.

Ciloron's Avatar Vicarius

Excuse me for my mistakes. My English grammar isn't that good.
    This sounded more official, on topic... well, my avy and sig....

I mean....

Yeah

Dokka's Avatar Civis

I'm a orc, orcs cant fly, i cant fly, then i'm a orc, but i would be a troll-men, you know what they say about big guys
    Last edited by Dokka; March 30, 2012 at 07:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dokka View Post
    I'm a orc, orcs cant fly, i cant fly, then i'm a orc, but i would be a troll-men, you know what they say about big guys
    Stones cannot fly either... The (in Denmark) famous Erasmus Montanus quote where he proves that his mother is a stone...

Dokka's Avatar Civis

Damn you, i'm a orc!

Damn you, i'm a orc!
    You cannot fly, stones cannot fly = you are a stone.

You want to be an Ork, Orks are made from stone = you are a stone ;-)

Sorry, I cannot help continuing the logic.

Numenorian for sure Just like Aragorn.. Grow up with elves so you are wise like them, you have their skill in fight, their knowledge etc.. But you are still proud Numenorian ))

I'm sorry but what are you talking about? Can't fly? Of course you can't fly neither can orcs, but neither can elves, hobbits, trolls, dwarves, gobblins, gnomes, ogres or what ever. Just because you can't fly you want to be and orc? I don't get it

He is a stone Isais, I proved it ;-)

Edit, because I am an enlightened Dane, I know this play and find it funny on many levels, so when Dokka claimed he was an Ork cause they cannot fly, it cracked me up.
    Last edited by Macilrille; April 02, 2012 at 03:17 AM.

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

It's indisputable logic here.
    Just like in the old days

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Oh boy, ok I see now that's is funny

Anything but Elf. Living forever just so I can see everything I ever cared about and fought for diminish, only to be replaced by a race of brash, selfish, short sighted monkies would be terrible.

Immortality is a curse.

Pinkie Pie's Avatar Comes Limitis

What about an evil elf
    "I, Pinkie Pie, declare that these treats are fit for a king, or a queen, or a princess!"
    "Me? Ruin? I'm not the ruiner, I'm the ruinee! Or is it ruinness? Ruinette?"
    "She's ahead of the litter all right. The pick of the litter. The cat's pajamas. Oh wait. Why would Applejack take some poor kitty's pj's? That's not very sporting of her."
    "More balloons! No, that's too many balloons. More candy! No, less candy. Ooh! I know! Streamers!"
    "Oh my gosh. Hold on to your hooves – I am just about to be brilliant!"