View Poll Results: What race would be living in middle-earth during the third age?

Voters
419. You may not vote on this poll
  • Man (good)

99 23.63%
  • Dwarf

40 9.55%
  • Elf

156 37.23%
  • Hobbit

35 8.35%
  • Orc

5 1.19%
  • Troll

4 0.95%
  • Nazgul

31 7.40%
  • Ent

20 4.77%
  • Goblin

2 0.48%
  • Man (evil)

27 6.44%
Page 12 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Which race of middle-earth would you be and why? (Read First Post)

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

Default Re: Which race of middle-earth would you be and why?

Gimli IMHO was, as a comical relife, often based on the Hobbits version of silly wild little men The Hobbit was written to entertain 8-12 year old kids. Still a good book for any age it's in that light we have to view it.
    The elves for example is fairies rather than the kind of Elves he had in mind in other texts. Especially in Imladris presented like a bunch of trolololololo-singing, mean joking, doped hippies And the dwarves are ofc presented in the same not serious fashion.

Concerning their background the vala Aulë (valar is rather megamighty angels) made them in secret but they were accepted, granted life and adopted by the creator (real God) Eru Illuvatar. Only the vala Yvanna, Aluë's wife, is known to disliked them in a way - so she made sure the Ents would come to guard the forests hehe.
    The Elves on their part most often considered Dwarves ugly and silly short, but these are hardly worthy of such unfriendly superiority (pride is an elven weakness):
    Since they were to come in the days of the power of Melkor, Aulë made the Dwarves strong to endure. Therefore they are stone-hard, stubborn, fast in friendship and in enmity, and they suffer toil and hunger and hurt of body more hardily than all other speaking peoples; and they live long, far beyond the span of Men, yet not forever. - Quenta Silmarillion
    Perhaps most intrigueing is that the Dwarves have quite diffrent view on the world, values and reasoning making them very hard to understand for other people many times. Best example of this difference is perhaps from the Battle of Unnumbered Tears (Silmarillion), when their king dies they simply lift the body up and goes singing away while one of the greatest wars of the First Age rage fiercly around them - and nobody dares to stop them!
    Gimli as well is like his kin in The Hobbit quite hasty and enthusiastic (see the parts when they enter Khazâd-dûm as example) but it that is rather a resonable personality trait or cultural feature than the pure fun it was meant to be in The Hobbit.
    'Men need many words before deeds. My axe is restless in my hands.' - Gimli, TTT; The King of the Golden Hall
    Concerning the forest (assume you are thinking of Lórien) nobody was guilty but the entire Fellowship was spotted when they entered the realm. And, as trivia, they all were said to bread very loud - or they possibly meant only that Sam breath so loud; not Gimli.
    Last edited by Ngugi; March 15, 2012 at 05:57 AM.

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Quote Originally Posted by Ngugi View Post
    Concerning the forest (assume you are thinking of Lórien) nobody was guilty but the entire Fellowship was spotted when they entered the realm. And, as trivia, they all were said to bread very loud - or they possibly meant only that Sam breath so loud; not Gimli.
    The movie has betrayed me! "The dwarf breathes so loud, we could have shot him in the dark."

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Yes! The movie is an evil being, which must be destroyed for the good of Arda! You must take the ring Wizad, and throw it into the mountain of doom, or the world as we know it will end
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

i'd be a dwarf! only a bit taller

Incredible Bulk's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by Mhaedros View Post
    Yes! The movie is an evil being, which must be destroyed for the good of Arda! You must take the ring Wizad, and throw it into the mountain of doom, or the world as we know it will end
    I guess people like the movie because they can put a face to the characters they are reading about, sad thing about the movies is they are never as detailed as a book version, that goes for any book turned to movie

Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

I was kidding

Quote Originally Posted by CannabisMaximus View Post
    Dwarves are cool but clumsy... Read the hobbit those dwarves got into more trouble than frodo and Sam did
    They might be clumsy but no one can argue that they are fierce warriors, and physically stronger than men and elves and I think they might even be stronger that orcs, uruks

aye Dwarves are a hardly folk strong and sometimes wise!

However after watching the movie for the 10th time I am sure I would like to be a Numenorian or just ANYONE leaded by Aragorn,Gandalf,Boromir,Elendil just listening to the epic speeches of the first one makes me stronger and wiser!

and watching the combat moves of Aragorn,Boromir makes me wanna live in the middle-ages

Borussia Dortmund fan

Quote Originally Posted by AragornElessar View Post
    aye Dwarves are a hardly folk strong and sometimes wise!

However after watching the movie for the 10th time I am sure I would like to be a Numenorian or just ANYONE leaded by Aragorn,Gandalf,Boromir,Elendil just listening to the epic speeches of the first one makes me stronger and wiser!

and watching the combat moves of Aragorn,Boromir makes me wanna live in the middle-ages
    That's cool, really who would be motivated by those speeches, makes me want to go and fight orcs

Any one else what to tell us who they would like to be and why?

Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

NO!

Quote Originally Posted by Mhaedros View Post
    NO!
    Not you, your old and not new please allow new ones to enter do not keep them from coming to me

Maiar93's Avatar Primicerius

I'm an oldie too...

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

Somehow this debate sound all wrong...

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

I was joking. You sound kinda like Father Christmas BTW Anyway, there's no need to be angry at me, I helped you bump the thread (after 32 minutes

edit: You can read my mind Ngugi

I was joking too lol that's why I said that

egor's Avatar Tiro

Half-elf, living forever and if bored of life, just choose the gift of men and die :p

Those, who don't eat, are eaten - Egor
    I do not steal victory - Μέγας Ἀλέξανδρος

Thaded's Avatar Civis

I'd either be a a dwarf or an elf.

Dwarf because i want to learn about their culture and hanging out with Scottish spelunker midgets could be pretty sweet, plus you don't have to live forever and ever. IF they restored Moria i'd love to see it in all of its glory as well, not to mention Erebor.

Elf because i'm a bit of a scholar irl and i think the bonuses of never getting sick and being able to visit Valinor. Also Wine. Being able to uncover so many of the secrets of Arda through the valar and the elves would be wondrous, but i suppose living forever might suck after a while. Who knows, might come to terms with it and find a motivation to stay alive for that long.

Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Thaded View Post
    Dwarf because i want to learn about their culture and hanging out with Scottish spelunker midgets could be pretty sweet, plus you don't have to live forever and ever. IF they restored Moria i'd love to see it in all of its glory as well, not to mention Erebor.
    They are certainly not Scottish. John Rhys-Davies, who played Gimli in the movies is Welsh. Billy Boyd (Pippin) is Scottish tho

I would be an elven ranger in company to Aragorn and the dunedain. Or a man of Arnor doing the same thing. i just feel like being in an amazing ranger awesome at archery and swords your a dual threat and your stealthy lethal by yourself and deadly in groups!