Thread: TELLTALE GAME'S - Game of Thrones

AdmiralThrawn's Avatar Vicarius

Default TELLTALE GAME'S - Game of Thrones

Hey, so if you guys haven't heard, Telltale Games (The Walking Dead, The Wold Among Us) has signed onto a multi-game with HBO to create one of their signature adventure games set in the Game of Thrones universe. Beyond that there isn't much information out there. What are your thoughts on this and what do you want to see in it?

The big question being asked right now is when/where the story will be set. They claim that they are basing it off both the Books and the TV Show, but are planning to defer to the show when there is a conflict. I personally would like to see them set the game back during a mostly unrecorded period of the Targaryen reign. This would let them create their own universe with new characters and conflicts, while still keeping the familiar factions and locations. Whatever they do, it should not follow the books story line, as then the players lose the feeling of agency over what is happening. What are your thoughts? When do you think it should be set?

HouseStarkFTW's Avatar Ducenarius

Default Re: TELLTALE GAME'S - Game of Thrones

Uhm... seeing as how there is already a Game of Thrones game out there (for ps3/xbox, not sure about the later) and it actually was a huge disappointment, not only for me but for everyone I know in rl who bought the game, I am extremely pessimistic about this new one you are talking about. The game I am talking about had a horrible fighting system and a very sub par story line, which was almost a hundred percent made up on their own, with bits and pieces of what actually happened incorporated in.

Defer to the show? Idiots in my opinion. If they want to make a very good Game of Thrones game, they have to stay thousand of miles away from the show, but they're going to defer to it if there is a conflict? Listen, I like the show as much as the next guy but ever since season 2 they've been slowly drifting away from the actual story line. I know, I know, budget issues and all that but come on. If they want to make a kick ass Game of Thrones game they have to completely rely on the books. If they are to lazy to do their research and actually read the series, then this game is already dead in my eyes. If there's going to be a conflict, it's going to be the finished product about how bad it is. Defer to the show... bah!

You said during a mostly unrecorded period of Targaryen reign, does that mean in Westeros or Old Valyria? I would like to play a game as the Targaryens in Old Valyria because I literally know nothing of this land or period of time, and am quite interested in it.

Lord AcidRocker's Avatar Senator

I'm looking forward to it. The Walking Dead game was really interesting and I liked the unique style of play. It should work beautifully with Game of Thrones. However, Telltale will likely focus on the time period set in the books, since I don't see it selling well or getting good reviews if it is catered to hardcore fans by requiring the consumer to know a lot about the lore.

Having Game of Thrones as a an actual GAME, doesn't seem right to be honest.

Mostly because it is unfinished.

AdmiralThrawn's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by HouseStarkFTW View Post
    Uhm... seeing as how there is already a Game of Thrones game out there (for ps3/xbox, not sure about the later) and it actually was a huge disappointment, not only for me but for everyone I know in rl who bought the game, I am extremely pessimistic about this new one you are talking about. The game I am talking about had a horrible fighting system and a very sub par story line, which was almost a hundred percent made up on their own, with bits and pieces of what actually happened incorporated in.

Defer to the show? Idiots in my opinion. If they want to make a very good Game of Thrones game, they have to stay thousand of miles away from the show, but they're going to defer to it if there is a conflict? Listen, I like the show as much as the next guy but ever since season 2 they've been slowly drifting away from the actual story line. I know, I know, budget issues and all that but come on. If they want to make a kick ass Game of Thrones game they have to completely rely on the books. If they are to lazy to do their research and actually read the series, then this game is already dead in my eyes. If there's going to be a conflict, it's going to be the finished product about how bad it is. Defer to the show... bah!

You said during a mostly unrecorded period of Targaryen reign, does that mean in Westeros or Old Valyria? I would like to play a game as the Targaryens in Old Valyria because I literally know nothing of this land or period of time, and am quite interested in it.
    Well I would sympathize, but I think Telltale Game's dialogue/story centric formula should mesh perfectly with this (have you tried The Walking Dead? No? Go play that right now, I'll wait......... See?). They also made it clear that they would just defer to the show, meaning they would include plenty of book characters unless the show explicitly said they did not exist (basically just Garlan and Willas). Regardless, if you play The Walking Dead I think you'll be a bit more optomistic . As for the time period, I was thinking more in the pre-Robert, post-Aegon era while the Targaryens ruled Westeros. That way it would be all familliar to the players except for the specific story/characters, and the rest Telltale can just build on its own.

Murfmurf's Avatar Primicerius

Really excited by this news.

Pessimists above, go check out The Walking Dead. Telltale games are based upon a choice system and play out more as an on-screen visual narrative rather than an action game.

Also, their art-style will lend itself well to Westeros in much opinion; it's a lot like Mike Miller's in The Hedge Knight, which I personally love:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Westeros: Total War Unit-Maker
    Check out our previews here!

It's being made by Telltale, as such i have faith they'll keep to what they are known for, excellent story...
    Unlike the RPG made by Cyanide, who have made two hugely disappointing Game of Thrones titles, i don't see Telltale falling to the same outcome.

In the end i don't believe you can compare Cyanide's mess to what Telltale is working on.

HannibalExMachina's Avatar Just a sausage

i only saw a playthrough of Wolf, but it looked like a badass game. so, theres a chance this wont tank. oc, bioware would make it so much better, am i riiiiiiiiiiiight? bless you, canada.

gangstamaori's Avatar Miles

Defer to the show? >.>

It would be smart to set it away from the timeframe of the novels, as gaming usually fares poorly when directly linked to shows or movies.

"The disgraced and the disinherited. This is my army. This is our best hope."

Telltale games make fantastic games. I have high hopes for this one as well