Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Whats your favorite faction in medieval 2 total war?

Jakeford's Avatar Ducenarius

Default Re: Whats your favorite faction in medieval 2 total war?

I think I will just talk about various different factions.

I find that playing as catholic nations can add a new depth to both the religious and political side of them game do to how the pope works and the crusades.
    Playing as a Muslim faction means that you aren't on any sort of leash and jihads can be a great invasion tool and a way to unite yourself with the other Muslim factions
    As an orthodox nation you are on your own.

Another factor I think would be land or sea. As a land nation such as HRE or France you usually start with a large amount of land and it can be really fun because will likely have to fight many wars on different fronts. Some land factions start up weak and have to take over land and establish themselves, such as Russia, Poland, and Hungary.

As a seafaring nation such as Venice, Milan, Sicily, and Denmark you will have to colonize and trade. It can be a nice challenge attempting to control the seas and setting up good trade.

Then their are nations that are sort of a hybrid between the 2, such as the byzantine Empire, England, and the Muslim factions.

I feel like total war has declined, the first 2 games were good for their time but in my opinion Medieval 2 and Rome 1 are total wars prime and golden age.
    https://www.battleforthenet.com/
    Go to this site and call your congressmen!
    Do not le the FCC destroy net neutrality in America!
    On Dec. 14 the FCC will vote on whether to destroy net neutrality or not! Congress can stop them beforehand, so tell congress and the FCC that you don't want them to ruin the internet!

My favourite faction are the Byzantines. Even though they don't get a massive variety of units I find the experience of playing them quite unique compared to some of the other factions, especially as your actions aren't constantly under the gaze of the pope ^^

King William the Conqueror's Avatar Campidoctor

Turks are fun because you can blitz most easily with them.
    I hold the blitz record for Medieval II (106 region in 7 turns) set in January 2024.

Check out my Youtube Channel: CosmicConqueror
    Proud Member of TWC since 2011!

Earl Dibbles Jr's Avatar Campidoctor
    On a need-to-know basis, and you don't need to know.

HRE all the way.

Among muslim factions:
    Moors for insane levels of income and the epic battles to hold ground against Franks never gets old. And the haze of ninjaing Rome through Tunis through a jihad within a turn. Not to mention becoming most evil leader in all europe due to the Assassin spam overall france in hopes to extinguish their unending aristocracy.
    Kill 4 heirs in a round and they adopt 6 more generals at next turn, seriously dont know where do they get that many people
    And least i forget the "pope farm" when you send the best assassin down to Rome.
    Among European:
    Poland for being true allrounders. Once in a game with poland managed to live in peace with all neighbors except russian for like a century. Poland can into total peace!1
    Danes for Viking-style gameplay. Stuff everyone in boats and sail to the holy land for ridiculous amounts of pillage, rape, plunder, arson and jaywalking.

sakithegolden's Avatar Foederatus

Quote Originally Posted by King William the Conqueror View Post
    Turks are fun because you can blitz most easily with them.
    If i may ask what makes them blitz easiest?

KmanBEAST's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by sakithegolden View Post
    If i may ask what makes them blitz easiest?
    They can call jihad turn 1, nice starting position, and lots of cavalry at the start. Total blitz faction....

just came across this thread and wanted to respond to the OP because well...there are no threads up to date on the subject so why not?

I would say for me I love France and I am not even French lol. I like them because I own with the Volgier and they get some really good late period armies. True, they lack Musketeers and mortars (sadly) but their blackpowder siege gear is really good (and serpentines are AMAZING) and they get decent pikemen and have AMAZING cavalry. They even get horse archers later on in their cities along with Gendarmes along with the Scots Guard. This means they get well armored heavy archers with excellent missile attack and range and they have beastly city cavalry. The Volgier militia backs them up quite nicely and pikemen are recruitable in both cities and castles as well. They get dismounted feudal knights like most other Catholic factions which are solid enough but add to this they get the dismounted noble knights and aventurier. I mean seriously what is not to like about this faction? To me they are the most well balanced overall in this game.
    The whole world is in chess. Any move can be the death of you.
    Baldwin IV

Quote Originally Posted by Stívarðr Reynitré View Post
    I love the HRE...
    Dude Hre its the best faction of the game, i love them also i always play with them bec of colour and troops

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

My favorite faction is ...the Roman Empire because they have the most good looking units...
    Last edited by AnthoniusII; May 24, 2018 at 03:09 AM.
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

USSJ's Avatar Laetus

i want to say the british factions because of heritage reasons (also HRE). but milan is so incredibly tough, their color scheme is amazing, and most importantly, their city armies are just as powerful as castle armies, almost to the point where you don't need castles at all (except for maybe some extra cavalry)

The first army I dominated the game with was Poland so I have to go with them. But moors camel gunners are sick too

krazyfilmer123's Avatar Libertus

speaking of Poland, im currently doing a campaign with them and i can really appreciate their roster of units. gotta love the mounted crossbows and lithuanian archers which allow stakes. Denmark is by far my favorite faction however.

Agreed, Polish mounted crossbows, which have minimal building requirements, totally own all manner of opposition especially in the early game. Their infantry are fairly horrible for castle or city assaults, though.
    Now available for Kindle: Dreams of Flight; Sidewinder Precision Pro; Pieces of Eight. If you like fantasy, space opera or pirate fiction, be prepared for a page-turner! ... if you don’t pick up this book and read it, you should have your head examined.

krazyfilmer123's Avatar Libertus

I don't feel like the Polish infantry are that bad. Dismounted Polish Nobles make an excellent backbone to any Polish army (and also have minimal building requirements), but things get easier once Dismounted Polish Knights come into play.

USSJ's Avatar Laetus

my final list based on all campaigns. usually my favorites also end up being the easiest to play as, as well.
    1. france. they are just so powerful and deadly. you can go castles only, or cities only. mounted archers. longbows who can fight in H2H. crossbows who can fight in H2H. spearmen and pikes if you need them. HI if you need em. some of the best heavy knights if you need them. gendarmes. beautiful blue scheme, and funny speeches.
    2. apaches. koitsenkos and mounted gunners can shoot down almost anything. one build type for everything, and you get your best units in a village off the bat. your start position means once you've dealt with france, the map is your oyster.
    3. milan. extremely powerful crossbows who can fight in h2H. you dont need castles almost at all, making reinforcing much easier, much like france.
    4. turks. powerful heavy cav. jannissary archers who have stakes. making you very powerful in sieges. your missile units also aren't too terrible in H2H.
    5. england. stakes, colors, start position. powerful archers. and basically jack of trades. you dont have the best anything except maybe longbowmen, but you cna hold your own
    6. russia/novgorod. powerful hybrid archers and missile cavalry means you can shoot down your enemy and if they do reach your lines, thats ok. you can swing an axe at their head. start position means you can migrate somewhere else, or stay and conquer the steppes. only thing you got to worry about is mongols, which is why i relocate as them.
    7. moors. powerful at range due to camel gunners. christian guard. good start position, and europe is yours once youve got iberia.
    8. venice. another extremely tough faction that fields powerful armies from both cities and castles.
    9. papal states, same as venice
    10. HRE. Love me the german voices. army roster isn't that great or effective for my playing style but i like taking over as a german emperor.

Valiant Champion's Avatar Praepositus

I modded the Papacy into the playable factions. My favorite faction.

BETTER PIKES
    https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...2#post16143112

THE PIKE WARS HAVE BEGUN!

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Blog Entries

May I introduce you to our lord and saviour Byzantium?
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman

M.A.E's Avatar Miles

i prefere England's Heavy billmen and Longbows stakes at forests and hills , Catch me if you can
    I Came,I Saw I Partially Differentiate

NorseThing's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by M.A.E View Post
    i prefere England's Heavy billmen and Longbows stakes at forests and hills , Catch me if you can
    Yes, but do not forget that north are the Scots who can and will with my hand catch you!

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast