Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Whats your favorite faction in medieval 2 total war?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Icon7 Whats your favorite faction in medieval 2 total war?

why??

Silverheart's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: Whats your favorite faction in medieval 2 total war?

You´re completely new to the forum, and the first thing you do is start a thread like this?
    You´re quite the ambitious type, aren´t you ^::^

Very well - My favorite faction (if choosing only one) would be Venice.
    They have a very nice and varied roster, with several unique and equally useful units like the Venetian Archers and Heavy Infantry, along with a good economy and a mildly challenging starting position.
    You have the possibility to expand either across the sea and establish a stretched out empire (or just take over the all the islands for a naval empire), straight across the Balkan, along northern Italy and into France, or north against central Europe.
    Their tough Militia makes them good for countering the Mongol and Timurid hordes in the Levant, and their strong naval units makes them excellent for sailing long distances to set up distant colonies and gaining control of the seas.
    Heart of silver, Mind of gold
    Fist of iron and Tongue to scold

Proud to be a Viking!

ChivalrousKiller's Avatar Domesticus

My favorite of the factions represented in Medieval 2 is the Byzantine Empire.

However, when it comes to the matter of which is the most fun to play as, it would be either England, Venice or Hungary.

Stívarðr Reynitré's Avatar Domesticus

I love the HRE...

Quote Originally Posted by Stívarðr Reynitré View Post
    I love the HRE...
    Dude Hre its the best faction of the game, i love them also i always play with them bec of colour and troops

Aymer de Valence's Avatar Protector Domesticus

England and Venice, although those are the only two i have ever played as. I should branch out more
    Cry God for Harry, England and Saint George!

Quote Originally Posted by Mercenary Crossbowman View Post
    England and Venice, although those are the only two i have ever played as. I should branch out more
    really?? I have played every faction except turks, poles, and hungary. you should really play tougher factions. england is too easy

@to forum admins: can we make this thread into a poll with all factions listed? would make a nice list

oh and my favorite are the danes and the byz. danish have the cooles units in the game, and byz are the most challening. plus varangian guard is the collest single unit in the game and the vandatorai is the best cav archery unit there is. 2 cav archers can easily kill 600+ since they do really well in close combat too

I most identify with the Venetians. When I play with them I become emotionally involved. I truly care about them.

But the most fun I would say either Byz or Hungary or Turks (I love me some Horse Archers!).

florin87's Avatar Campidoctor

is hungary that good? I've never played since the color scheme makes my eyes bleed.

anyhow my favorite faction would be the moors or the byzantines.

Basarabia is Romanian!

Quote Originally Posted by florin87 View Post
    is hungary that good? I've never played since the color scheme makes my eyes bleed.

anyhow my favorite faction would be the moors or the byzantines.
    Hungary has good horse archers and knights (both mounted and dismounted), but mostly mediocre things apart from that.
    Their main line infantry units are the Slav Levies (poor-mediocre), Spear Militia (poor-mediocre) and Croat Axemen (mediocre, two-handed) until you can recruit the Dismounted Feudal Knights and Pavise Spearmen (reliable), and their best archers are the Bosnian Archers (mediocre-reliable, tolerable in melee too, normal range) though you get the Pavise Crossbowmen too.
    If you play them, try getting a Master Assassins Guild quickly - there you can recruit the Battlefield Assassins, which are low in numbers, but still of very good quality.

Personally, I like their many unique units (Pavise Spearmen, Bosnian Archers, Hungarian Nobles, Battlefield Assassins) and the fact that their poor position makes the game more challenging.
    They´re not for beginners, but if you can handle Moors and Byzantines, and are good with light troops+skirmish+missile cavalry tactics, they shouldn´t be much of a problem

Proud to be a Viking!

florin87's Avatar Campidoctor

hmmmmm. crappy infantry, poor position. that's it i just have to try them even if i go blind.

thanks

Basarabia is Romanian!

Jedi Knight's Avatar Civis

Turks are my favorite faction because janissaries and qapukulu lancers are awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by florin87 View Post
    hmmmmm. crappy infantry, poor position. that's it i just have to try them even if i go blind.

thanks
    Why did you say that? I don't think they have crappy infantry. They have dismounted feudal knights and battlefield assassins maybe their dismounted chivalric knights are crappy. They also have royal banderium and hungarian nobles. About crappy infantry muslim factions have crappy infantry.

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi Knight View Post
    Turks are my favorite faction because janissaries and qapukulu lancers are awesome.

Why did you say that? I don't think they have crappy infantry. They have dismounted feudal knights and battlefield assassins maybe their dismounted chivalric knights are crappy. They also have royal banderium and hungarian nobles. About crappy infantry muslim factions have crappy infantry.
    Muslims having crappy infantry? Say wah? Puh-lease, try Christian Guard, Urban Militia, Janissary Heavy Infantry, Sipahi Lancers, and Al Hashshashin. The only Muslim faction with crappy infantry is Egypt. They really need some sort of Dismounted Mamluks. They would be bad-ass.

Anyway, Spain is my favourite faction, then the Turks. Both have extremely balanced rosters, and both have no real gaping weaknesses. The Turks have a fun time fighting off the Mongols, but it's fairly easy in a siege battle with Janissary Archers (stakes). I've destroyed four Mongol full stacks at Sarkel, which is only a wooden castle at the moment. They simply charge through the gate, and get impaled, while my Janissaries clean up.

Macunaíma's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid99 View Post
    Muslims having crappy infantry? Say wah? Puh-lease, try Christian Guard, Urban Militia, Janissary Heavy Infantry, Sipahi Lancers, and Al Hashshashin. The only Muslim faction with crappy infantry is Egypt. They really need some sort of Dismounted Mamluks. They would be bad-ass.
    Tabardariyya are pretty good, and they have Saracen Militia and Halberd Militia, which are good at holding a line. And their excellent cavalry compensates anything their infantry lack.

I only played vanilla with HRE so far, it was awesome (still playing, going for world domination). Next time I play I think I'll choose Danes or Moors.

Quote Originally Posted by mindOverdrive View Post
    Tabardariyya are pretty good, and they have Saracen Militia and Halberd Militia, which are good at holding a line. And their excellent cavalry compensates anything their infantry lack.

I only played vanilla with HRE so far, it was awesome (still playing, going for world domination). Next time I play I think I'll choose Danes or Moors.
    Indeed, Egypt is a faction for cavalry tactics, and their infantry is mainly suited for defending lines or hit-and-die tactics. But their cavalry is very capable and usually multi-purpose.

By the way, take the Moors - they´re the most different from the Holy Roman Empire, and will make for a more interesting game in your particular case

Proud to be a Viking!

The Byzantines are my favorite, Venice following close behind.

Byzantines followed by Sicilians (who wouldn't want to be the Godfather?).

I like France as my favourite.

the position - and the just.. hmm "Standard" feel of the french roster - So many knights, esp by the end where you have more heavy cav options than you know what to do with.

So much infantry to choose from, its all about doubling up your infantry -- garrisons of Voulges and Spear militia ... field armies of DFKs and Armor Sergeants.

They even get great Horse ARchers later on, Gendarmes from the cities ... elite Aventurier and Scots guards too.

I always feel as france like I can just steam roll anyone else - esp merc hunting during a Crusade =D

some times i enjoy playing as byzantium just because their units are so interesting, balanced, and they just look pain cool. Denmark is cool no matter what.

Hopit's Avatar Praepositus

The teutonic order

because they are the most bad ass things ever!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SgtScooter View Post
    If you went to the Skyrim forums you'll see a lot posts about how it's somehow been watered down and hampered by money men making the decisions. Fact is, it's a great game and people still complain. It's the same thing as the TW franchise.

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast