Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: [EiC] Kampf um Europa

Default Re: [EiC] Kampf um Europa

Editorial note: All conversations now color coded, with the key being in the first post, as well as the start of our timeline (which will be completed, we have alot of backstory to dig through)

January 15th, 1805: General Staff Assembly, Continued
    Klaus drums his fingers, thinking for a moment:

"So, the idea is, bring up II Korps, in the east, to over strength, say 3 divsions, while I and III Korps are brought up with two a piece. It might work."

He drums some more.

"What about the Kriegsmarine?"

Leopold mumbles something to himself, "....Kriegsmarine....."

"The Kriegsmarine will undergo expansion while we are marching West. But will remain in port until we face more prominent naval threats."

Leopold looks to Markus, "At least that would be my recommendation as to the naval movements."

"As far as my department goes,"
    he says as he puffs up his chest, "the Kriegsmarine can be given available funds if the Armed Forces Department requests them. My secretary and aids are still compiling complete treasury statistics, and I may have a more accurate projection of any funds we can spare for the Kriegsmarine then."

The military chief sighed to himself, realizing that the debate was moving towards a conserved resoltution.

"The Kriegsmarine will get enough to grow, but our main concern should be securing a strong border on all fronts. What we take, we must be sure we can defend. Addressing the seas will come later, when we know what the situation on the continent is."

Leopold nods his head at Field Marshal Reimer, "Yes. I agree. The Kriegsmarine will be kept in low priority, as expansion doesn't come without its costs."

Leopold looks back at Klaus, "And neither does building a massive fleet of sticks and sails."

"Our priority must be securing what we own, rather than expanding on something we have never done."

Klaus looks to Markus.

"Such a compromise... while perhaps unpalatable... is perhaps acceptable given the alternatives."

He shrugs, tapping ash from his cigar.

Markus impatiently drummed his fingers on the table.

"Well politically, there is not much more to discuss for now. Unless any of you have any closing remarks."

Leopold stands, "Very well then. Gentlemen, I shall send a messenger when my department is ready to discuss the budget."

Leopold tilts towards the empty throne and walks out.

"Well that is that then. I will begin preping I Korps objectives. The last thing we really need is a start date for operations, which I assume will be soon."

He shuffles the papers left scattered on the table as the other Marshalls leave. Making sure everyone has left the room, he moves back to his seat and reaches for a latch under the table, revealing a hidden drawer that crudely pops out. Reaching inside, he pulls out an old bottle of cognac and pours out a shot for himself as he slouches back, tired and restless.

January 15th, 1805: General Staff Assembly, Ended
    Last edited by Santini; June 08, 2012 at 12:45 PM.

pattonrommel's Avatar Centenarius

January 17th, 1805: Budget Assembley

The oldest member of the General Staff walks in. Behind him two guards enter the room and take up posts in the far corners. Leopold sits down, "Urgh."

An overly stuffed folder is taken from his coat pocket and Leopold throws it on the table. "This damn time of the week again." He reaches across the table and grabs the bottle of dark brown liquid, pouring a large amount of it in his glass.

Sebastian saunters in foppishly, his unfortunate aide trailing behind him carrying a slim yet important looking dossier.

"You're looking well Leopold" he simpers and sits opposite the world-weary man.

Leopold rubs his eyes with his fingers, "Yes, well we can't all be so blessed with youth."

He slides the bottle of alcohol across the table to Sebastian. "Enjoy it while you can."

Sebastian eyes the alcohol dubiously.

"Some of us need our full capacities unsullied by fiery liquids. Your wise words are invaluable I'm sure. Shall we begin?"

"I suppose we can begin. Although, we are missing Marshal Reimer."

Leopold looks at one of the guards in the room, and snaps, "Go get that perpetual drunk."

The guard immediately rushes off down the hallway. As soon as he rounds the corner, Marshal Reimer peaks his head from behind the office door and enters.

"Well he should be busy for a while. And I would hardly miss representing the military's share of the coffers. I can't say the same about Klaus however. Especially if he is still piss drunk in the alley where I left him..."

He sits down on an empty chair and gives a snide grin.

"...with a guard detail of course."

Sebastian grimaces as a strong odor of alchol wafts over him.

"The money must go towards to the state. You play with your toy soldiers enough as it is."

Leopold walks over to the doors and closes them, nodding his head at a few men outside as he does. With another grunt he sits down again.

Leopold sighs, and opens his folder. "Alright you two. Listen. We have 4,000 dRM to spend this period."

The Chief of Treasury takes a sip of his drink. "I assume you both have requests for a certain amount you need for each of your departments?"

Sebastian nods fervently.

"It is of utmost importance that my department be granted nigh over half our budget for research to benefit civic development. Too long has the populace been neglected."

Klaus enters, 10 minutes late, rather strangely looking entirely freshened up - his trousers even have a crease.

"Herr Sebastian..." he begins, shaking his head.

"... any measure recommending additional funding for that hotbed of Republican bulls*** and filth receives the veto stamp from my Office on high."

He nods to both Leopold and Markus- "Gentlemen"- and takes a seat.

Markus raises an eyebrow in curiousity, but shrugs it off.

"For once, I am in agreement with Klaus. Our military is weak and in need of a real kick in the pants to keep our borders secure and expanding. R&D will get its due, but we need to be able to put up a fight first. And believe me when I say there is a lot of fighting in store in the near future."

Sebastian shakes with an impotent, vitriolic rage at Klaus' barbaric remarks.

"You, Herr Klaus, are an absolute boor and savage. I will not sit idly by while you disparage the greatest minds Prussia has to offer. Perhaps if you attended a few lectures you could immerse yourself in culture instead of soaking yourself in cheap whiskey. I spit at the very idea of your veto. I shall get my university and Prussia will prosper for it!"

Casually, Klaus reaches into his jacket. His hand emerges with a jerk- his stamp, official Chief of Staff Veto. He places it atop the center table, then stands, starting to pace.

Sebastian fumes inwardly as he is rendered moot.

"Very well Herr Klaus, you may grossly abuse your power this time but I shall see you regret your action of this day when I am blessed with such an opportunity he sneers."

Sebastian retreats within himself and mentally checks out of the meeting, his clout is insignificant compared to the other three men.

Leopold, usually loving the game of financial politics, looks at Markus and sighs, "God dammit, just give me your plan."

Markus stands up.

"To be honest, with the Landwehr Act our initial build-up will not be excessively costly, considering we will be filling our ranks with less than crack but still capable recruits. I urge a general conscription in Brandensburg, eight companies of Landwehr which should total in the range of..."

He shuffles through some papers that were hidden in his coat pocket.

"...around 3300 dRM and three companies in Konigsburg at a cost of around 1280 dRM. This I hope can be accomplished within two months time. By March, if all goes well, we will begin mobilization."

A man comes barging in with several briefcases shouldered around his body. "My lord von Feuer! I have your papers!"

Leopold looks back, "Oh goody. Just what I need."

The man puts the cases down next to him. The Chief of the Treasury reaches into several and pulls out a few papers. "Hmmm. According to the Treasury Department, the total cost of these recruitments would be 4609 dRM over the next two payment periods."

Leopold thinks to himself, "Given our current treasury projections of 5895 dRM for the next payment period, this seems exceedingly high. You'd be receiving nearly half of our first month's treasury balance."

After shuffling through his cases further he pulls out another few pieces of paper. "The Treasury Department is also earmarking 2,000 dRM for this term to the Department of Development for the purpose of a new diplomatic embassy right here in Berlin and a road system to accompany those coming into our grand capitol."

"Additionally, it is the opinion of this department that we keep our economic development intact, and not abandon it just because some war is to be had in the future. For that reason, we are allocating an addition 1,000 dRM to the Department of Development for whatever they see fit."

Leopold looks at Markus, "But I haven't forgotten about your requests, don't worry." Leopold flashes a paper at Markus and slides it to him. "I will also be authorizing 854 dRM to the Department of Armed Forces to help begin the process of building our military."

Leopold looks to the other two gentlemen, "Is this satisfactory?"

Markus wrinkles his face.

"Its a start I suppose. I'll make do, but we will need a budget increase as the weeks go on."

Sebastian looks up, his sulkiness dispelled. He nods his assent with a minuscule motion.

"That is satisfactory Herr Feuer, you are most reasonable."

Klaus reaches back into his jacket, and pulls out his approval stamp.

"I believe we are finished here, gentlemen."

He walks to the court scribe, stamps the minutes and stamps the budget.

Leopold and the other Marshals finish their drinks. Everyone but Leopold leaves the room. The Chief of the Treasury looks at the approved budget and thinks to himself. This is where it will all begin.

Marshal von Feuer motions to the guards, and they come out of their corners and follow him out of the room.
    Last edited by pattonrommel; July 28, 2012 at 12:26 AM.
    "We're in a war, dammit! We're going to have to offend somebody!" -John Adams

Heartfire's Avatar Ordinarius

Book One: The Eagle of Iron

Prologue: The Spoils of Defeat

December 28th, 1804

The bear is a fearsome creature. Partially due to my curiosity, I traveled to the wildernesses of eastern Poland and searched for one. From a distance I watched as the powerful creature rumbled about its surroundings, hunting for any prey dumb enough to me near. Although I did wish to try the bear's strength, I knew I could not stand to that monster of the woods.

For days, I followed that bear and observed it, learning more each day. Its favorite food was fish and didn't much enjoy the loaves of bread I placed near it during the hours of dark. But, in all of my time in those woods, I never saw the bear attack another bear, nor a wolf, or any other land creature. Seldom can I say I see humans inside of wild creatures, bu this is such a case; this bear showed a valuable human tool: respect.

Why then, I wondered,was the Czardom referred to as the "Bear in the North?" After what I had seen, out there in those cold, dark and damp woods, I say the leaders of Russia have done nothing more than devolve from what was once a powerful creature. There is no strength in a forceful alliance, nor in bullying a smaller man to follow you where his appendages do not wish to go.

For Prussia, the War of the Second Coalition was nothing short of a massacre. Although brave, the Prussian forces were outgunned, poorly equipped, and abandoned by their allies. When they set out, they headed for France on a straight line, then moved to Brussels, the new objective of their lengthy campaign. However, the French began deploying units across the Low-lands; more soldiers and artillery pieces than the Prussians could ever hope to overcome, yet still, the Prussians pressed on to Brussels. Marching towards that city, the greenhorn Prussians were engaged near Diest, and defeated. As they realized they were overwhelmingly outnumbered the Korps Kommandant Marshal Krepps retreated his troops towards Den Haag, where British ships would evacuate his soldiers, but they were again forcefully engaged again at Antwerp, and soundly defeated a second time.

By the time they reached Den Haag the Prussians were demoralized, lacking many supplies, cut off from Berlin, and in need of desperate relief. However, after waiting for a day for the promised British evacuation taskforce, they realized it wasn't coming. With everything they had left in them, they fought the French, who had taken the hill above the city and were raining down artillery shells like lightning from heaven. When the clouds of gunpowder parted, Kommandant Krepps was dead, killed by French artillery, and General Eberstark had taken control of the numerous divisions, retreating them north towards Den Helder, where they had again been promised evacuation by the British. Some did not agree with this move, and instead of retreating, they charged the French and burst through their line, galloping east towards Berlin.

Even General Eberstark, a man who had risen through the ranks with amazing speed and shown a magnificent ability to take a poor tactical position and make turn it into a victory, could not survive the French onslaught. Near Leiden, he realized the army would not make it to Den Helder before the French caught up to him and he took volunteers to hold off the French while the retreat north continued. Although we can't know for sure, it was said that Eberstark and his men fought to the last man, holding the French as long as their lives allowed.

With both heads of the army cut off, leadership fell to divisional commanders and they all made for Velsen where they decided to bivouac before heading through the marshes north of the township. The acting General of the 6th Division, Klaus von Santini, allowed some men in his division to stay behind, while five centuries of his men moved northward to get to Den Helder and prepare the British for a quick evacuation.

The morning after the 6th Division left, the French appeared outside Velsen and bombarded the city. The defenders, rallied by Markus Reimer, another acting General in the chaos of a leaderless army, fought off the French for many hours, but ultimately fell. Exhausted, surrounded, and overwhelmed time and time again, they Prussian army finally surrendered. The 6th Division did successfully reach Den Helder, only to watch as the British ships sailed away from the coastline, already hearing of the news of the Battle of Velsen. Von Satini is said to have wept at the sight of the white sails going over the horizon, safely moving towards the British Isles.

A few days after the defeat at Velsen, the cavalry who had escaped the Battle of Den Haag arrived in Berlin, having spent eleven days traveling east in the hopes of safely reaching Prussia. They arrived in the city at dawn and were immediately attended to by the Konig's personal physicians. Leopold von Feuer, the Brigadier General who had led the cavalry away from Den Haag, was promoted to General, although he resented the promotion. The monarchy and General Staff were informed of the numerous defeats, to which Konig Friedrich Wilhelm III responded by firing his General Staff who he claimed had allowed an ill-prepared army die. An ill-fated move this was, and the peasantry almost revolted right then; many of them had loved the General Staff.

The Prussian prisoners were treated well and fed while in French custody. Within two weeks of their capture, they were set free, for no reason except to show respect and good-will. Perhaps, then, it is proper to call France the Bear of the West, no?

When the troops arrived in Prussia they were ordered to make way to Berlin immediately, and most complied. Klaus von Santini and Markus Reimer marched into the capital with their heads hung, despite the crowds of people cheering for them in what appeared to be a celebration. None of the soldiers expected, or wanted it.

And now we reach the spark. The moment in history when a people's frustration were shown through the actions of one man. To quell the unrest that still remained after the first insurrection was put down in April, Friedrich called for Klaus von Santini to be appointed Field Marshal of the entirety of Prussia's forces. As Klaus von Santini was given his Field Marshal's club, he threw it down to the ground, and tore off his military uniform, storming out of the capital with many of the soldiers whom had followed him. Almost instantly, the peasantry revolted across the city, having seen one of the heroes throw down a great honor from the Konig himself, they were through with his tyrannical rule.

Leopold and Markus, siding with order, rather than with the Konig, deployed forces across the city to put down the revolts. Although they understood the frustration, they also understood unity was needed if the trials of the next few years were to be met with success. Prussia needed to be strong, not divided. Two weeks of revolt and riots were quelled and order in Berlin was restored. At the behest of his remaining advisors as well as the Generals von Feuer and Reimer, who had struck a balance between protecting the monarch and secretly holding him hostage in his own capital, Friedrich invited Klaus von Santini to form his own government cabinet, and ordered both the defending generals to join the new General Staff. Friedrich thought he had assured two loyalists would be in his new government, but in reality, the loyalties of both Markus and Leopold lied with the people, and not the monarchy.

What is to happen now, I do not know. How we move forward, I do not know. I am a historian: I tell stories of the past. But, if the past has taught me anything, it is simply this: Civilizations rise and fall, but their heroes will live forever.

- Zachary Tolbien, Historian
    Last edited by Heartfire; July 28, 2012 at 01:16 AM.

Boustrophedon's Avatar Grote Smurf
    Citizen

I think the premise of different authors is quite interesting ^^ I'm eager to see how this turns out so good luck with future updates and yes it's clearer now with the color coding, but don't forget that it's just a tool

Quote Originally Posted by Boustrophedon View Post
    I think the premise of different authors is quite interesting ^^ I'm eager to see how this turns out so good luck with future updates and yes it's clearer now with the color coding, but don't forget that it's just a tool
    Indeed, it's great to see this unique AAR making a return in full swing. The colours are a bit flashy but I don't mind that as long as it helps with the story. Excellent work so far, guys!

January 15th, 1805, 6:37 pm, The Last Tilt, Berlin
    He hadn't known Marshal Santini personally for long at all. It wasn't until the end of the last war and the rise of the new government only a month back which Markus curiously found himself to be an integral part of that he started to get to know the man who was quickly becoming the driving force of the Prussian mobilization. Despite this, he was gaining a good intuition for finding Klaus when he needed to, and right now he was more than determined to find the man.

As he stepped off the carriage, he made his way around the growing crowd of evening drinkers and spotted Klaus in one of the booths, in discussion with two younger officers, both of whom clumsily jumped up and stood at attention as they spotted the Chief of Armed Forces approach.

"Privacy, if you please."

Markus' voice was terse and frustrated. He was never one to hide his mood.

The officers quickly moved to another side of the bar as Markus turned his gaze to Klaus, pressing upon his cane rather than sitting down.

"Well you are sure the stubborn arse. I deny you command of I Korps on the basis that it is your duty to bring all this growing political horse s*t together, and you go on a publicity campaign with the bureaucracy to get them to override my decision!"

At this point he was practically snarling.

"We don't have time for damn heroes to be prouncing about on the field when we are struggling to keep our broken nation together on the brink of continental war!"

Casually, Klaus slides a glass in Markus's direction. Without looking up, he speaks, turning a coin about his knuckles.

"Seems to me it was the great Markus hisself that heralded our telegraph network as spelling the end of centralized command requirements, did he not?"

Markus sneared at the response.

"There is a difference from being able to keep tabs of military movements and reports on a near daily basis and coordinating the delicate politics of an entire country while the chief of staff is more concerned with small victories! Think with your head for once, instead of falling for misplaced nostagia! There are greater things at stake than your damn pride!"

Markus winced slightly as he shifted his leg. Stress was unkind to his old wound.

Immediately, Klaus is on his feet, knocking his chair back. His gloved hand swings out, two fingers striking Markus in the shoulder, hard enough to rock him back on his heels.

"We can't all be f*king cowards in lace, stuck home four fingers deep in French C*T!"

Instantly, the bar is silent.

Markus regains his balance and brushes at his uniform where he was pushed. Picking up his cane, he prods Klaus' chest with the handle. His voice becomes stern, yet almost melancoly, as he looks the marshal directly in the eyes.

"We had our chance. We lost. As much as we may try, nothing will change that. But what I know is that now we are needed in the capital doing what should have been done years ago."

He brings his cane back down and starts to relax.

"But I can't stop you from going out into the field. Just don't f*king forget what we are fighting for. Not for statues, that is for damn sure."

The fire flickers, then departs Klaus's eye.

He looks down, shame faced, removing his hand frum his belt.

"... perhaps you are..."

He bends, righting his chair.

"You are correct."

He sits, averting his face.

"Either sit with me and drink, or leave. Regardless, we speak of this no more."

Markus weakly smiles and nods.

"Alright then, enough 'talk' for one day."

He makes his way to the bar and orders drinks as the rest of the room goes back to its own business. Markus makes sure he turned away from Klaus before he takes a deep, relieved breath.

Editorial note: While we are not currently recruiting for the General Staff, if it seems like something you are interested in, give us a PM, including any AAR's you have done or RPG's you are a part of, and we'll keep you in mind :-)

January 13th, 1805, 10:07am, Feuer Estate

Leopold sits in his living room. Papers were thrown across his small coffee table along with a massive map of Europe that sprawled onto the floor. The floor was as worn as the seats Leopold sat in, but his uniform was as pristine as ever.

"Sir, the trees are quite lovely today." A small man stood in the archway.

"Very well." Leopold said, nodding his head and putting down the paper in his hand. "Get me a fresh bottle of the strong stuff."

Leopold stood up and straightened his uniform.

Only 5 or so minutes late, the heavy trudge of three sets of boots can be heard on the veranda. Klaus, looking slightly disheveled, bids his Guard stand post, and knocks twice at the door.

He turns, staring off the deck, shuffling about his pockets for a match.

He waits...

A woman dressed in the finest quality of clothing answers the door. "Good evening sir. Marshal von Feuer has been expecting you." As soon as she finishes, she bows out of the way to reveal Leopold standing halfway down the hall already pouring a couple of drinks.

He turns his head towards his new house guest, "Klaus" he says, smiling, "please come in."

With every step his boots echo throughout the house as he approaches the Chief of Staff, "Have a drink."

With only a modicum of discretion, Klaus briefly eyes the woman's posterior as he sweeps by.

He nods to Leopold, then gestures with match and unlit cheroot, his questions obvious yet unspoken.

Leopold takes the cheroot, and exchanges it with a drink. "There. Now we are even." The old man smiles as he leans in for Klaus to light his cheroot.

With a snap of the fingers, the match is lit, held close to the leaning Leopold. With a pull and a flare, the cheroot is well coaled, and Klaus steps back. Without being told, he steps to the couch, taking a seat.

"Busy day?" He asks, nodding at the map on the wall

"I imagine you'll be telling me the purpose of this visit any time now..."

Leopold smiles again as Klaus helps himself to the aging furniture. "I figured you and I should get to know each other a little better, yes?"

"Look at our nation,"
    Leopold says, gesturing to the map.

"A brick in the middle of a land in revolt wouldn't you say?" Leopold says, taking a long drag from his cheroot, and looking at the Chief of Staff.

Klaus tips back his cup, placing the empty glass back on the table. He gives the map a cursory inspection, leaning back on the couch and pulling free his own cigar.

"Looks rather more like the proverbial Rock and Hard Places to me."

He turns, looking at Leopold, raising one eyebrow.

"Are we beating around bushes here?"

"Of course we are." Leopold says, drinking the rest of his glass and placing it down on the map. "We are politicians aren't we?"

The woman that welcomed Klaus comes into the room and takes both of the men's glasses. "Close the doors when you leave," he says to the maid.

"Yes, sir." She says back, slightly bowing and quickly moving out of the room.

As the doors click behind them, Leopold turns to the map. "So you think we can beat Saxony before Austria intervenes?"
    Last edited by Santini; June 08, 2012 at 01:00 PM.

Boustrophedon's Avatar Grote Smurf
    Citizen

Just an idea: in a game like this it might be interesting to see some figures that can give us an idea of your gameplay situation. I'm talking about manpower, economy, stuff like that

Maybe as a side note at the end of an update?

Quote Originally Posted by Boustrophedon View Post
    Just an idea: in a game like this it might be interesting to see some figures that can give us an idea of your gameplay situation. I'm talking about manpower, economy, stuff like that

Maybe as a side note at the end of an update?
    Cool idea :-D

The only problem is that Chief of the Interior, Marshal Leopold (and Heartfire hisself) hold a very powerful position built on knowledge, which he is apt to dispense at his own pace

Will talk to Heartfire

January 13th, 1805, 10:07am, Feuer Estate, Continued

Klaus leans forward, his elbows resting atop his knees.

He points at the map, making a sharp dragging gesture from Berlin into Saxony.

"Give me and I Korps 1 week, and Saxony is ours."

He leans back again, touching lit match to tobacco tip.

Leopold laughs, "I'm sure you'd love to have your own Korps wouldn't you my good Chief of Staff?"

"But those appointments are up to the Department of Armed Forces."

Klaus smiles, and pushes a piece of paper across the table.

A command requisition request, requesting none other than Field Marshal Klaus von Santini for I Korps, submitted by his adjunct, and stamped approved by Chief of Staff, Klaus von Santini.

"Gee, what a delightful surprise."

Leopold smiles wryly, looking at the map. "And what happens after Saxony and Hesse? What happens when we have full control of the free German states? Does Prussia simply stop warring?"

"Surely that was said in jest? Our friends to the East, our friends to the West, and our friends across the channel render such a thought... idealistic."

"In jest?" Leopold raises his eyebrow, "It was said in interrogative form."

"What do you imagine of Prussia when all of Germany is hers?"

Klaus's eye darts quickly to Leopold's face, then back to his empty glass.

He reaches over, setting it to spin on its side.

His next sentence, hushed, reverent.

"You speak... of Gross Prussia?"

Leopold smiles, having gotten the Chief to say something of intentions. "I said nothing, but since you mentioned it, what is Gross Prussia for you?"

Klaus turns back... for a moment, there is a flash of anger on his face... but it is gone, fast as it came.

"Why Leopold, you speak as if a conspiracist!"

He puffs at his cheroot.

"Gross Prussia is nothing more than an idea- Prussia so strong she may stand alone. Prussia so powerful none may trample her, nor exclude her from the Geopolitic."

He gestures at the liquor bottle.

Leopold walks over to the liquor and pours him, and his house guest, another drink.

Handing it to Klaus he says, "A conspiracist?" Leopold lightly chuckles.

Straightening his face Leopold looks to Klaus, "Is it considered an act of conspiracy to hope for the best in a nation? To understand the great power she is capable of wielding?" Leopold takes a drink. "If these things are conspiracist in nature, then consider me an adamant and self-professed conspiracist."

Klaus takes another sip, and wipes the sheen from his forehead.

"Tell me... you remember the Purge?"

Leopold lowered his head, "Of course I do." He took another drink.

Klaus turns, looking Leopold in the eye, and holding his gaze

"Nearly a hundred of my brother Officers... close friends, acquaintances... co-conspirators... tortured. Murdered. Shot in Austria, in Russia..."

He looks down at his glass.

"... for daring to dream of Gross Prussia whilst our former King sidled up to the Second Coalition."

He drains it.

"And for good reason. How dare they dream of Empire, whilst war was planned with France..."

He looks back up at Leopold.

"And I should have been among them."

Leopold nods, "As should I."

He walks over to the bar and takes the bottle in his hand. "As should all brave men who dare to dream," he says as he refills his own drink and offers it to Klaus.

"Klaus, my friend, so long as we are here, in my home, anything can be said."

For a moment, a warm expression seems to seep into Klaus's face, and a hint of moisture to his eye... but again it is gone.

He looks back to the map.

"What is your dream, comrade?"

Leopold looks down at his drink and shakes the glass. Watching the ripples bounce off the edges, Leopold glares at the liquid, then knocks it back and puts the cup on a nearby table with the bottle.

He sits down in his chair, and looks at the map, "I'm 55, Klaus."

The old man turns his gaze to Klaus, looking him in the eye, "I want to be remembered."

Klaus barks a sharp laugh.

"Trust me, my friend... one way or another, we shall all be remembered."

He stands, preparing to leave, but turns back towards Leopold.

"It is the manner in which we are remembered that counts."

Leopold nods his head, and takes another drag of his cheroot.

"Maid! Escort the Chief to his transportation." Leopold yells in the general direction of the door.

"It was a good chat, Marshal. We shall have to do it again." Leopold smashes the tip of the cheroot into some paper on the table.

January 16th, 1805: Haus der Kuhn
    The clatter of hooves on the cobblestones can be heard ringing out, but strangely enough no grind and groan of carriage-wheels.

The horse rounds the bend, visible at last, a gelded brown. Atop rides Wilhelm von Santini, with a wistful look of one who loves riding, but rarely if ever has the chance.

The horse slows to a canter, and at last Wilhelm dismounts and ties off the horse.

He ascends the walk, and knocks twice at the door.

A bedraggled servant answers the door, rubbing the sleep out his bleary eyes as he does so.

He motions curtly for Wilhem to enter the abode. As Wilhelm does so he is greeted by the sound of Sebastian bellowing from an upper chamber.

Kristoff, who has chosen to grace us with their presence today?! Answer me sharply, I need to make myself suitably presentable.

With a quizzical expression, Wilhelm first spits his wad of tobacco out the door, and takes a seat in commons unbidden.

Were it not for lightly drumming fingers, he would be the picture of patience and calm.

Sebastian saunters down the marble stairs imperiously, utterly regal in his bearing, comforted by the boundaries of his estate.

Yes Herr Santini, to what do I owe this pleasure of such an unexpected yet delightful visit?

Wilhelm is at his feet immediately, tossing out a salute with a heel click

"Acting Field Marshal, Sir!"

After the return, he resumes his seat.

"It has come to my attention that... certain departments... might be chaffing under financial restraints imposed by the treasury... and I feel I may have the solution, sir."

Sebastian returns the salute promptly with his remaining arm, his attention now piqued.

I do not know how you are privy to such information but is indeed true. What solution could you possibly have in mind?

Wilhelm drums his fingers for a moment, hesitating... then he commits

"It seems to me it is the earmark process of the Chief of Interior that takes a good deal of wind from your sails. It also seems to me that such a system could be used to your advantage..."

He leans forward:

"Would it not be sensible that if funding for the merchant marine were to come from your coffers, the income from trade would, in turn, return to them?"

Sebastian narrows his eyes, pondering the implications of Wilhelm's words.

You are more devious than I would give you credit for Herr Santini, certainly moreso than that lout of a father you have. What sort of returns on the trade income do you forsee?

Sebastian gestures at Kristoff to bring liquid refreshment for the parched Wilhelm and begins pacing, wrestling with the possibilities of this new venue.

Wilhelm gives a small smile.

"In general, outfitting costs for merchant vessels are in the range of 400 dRM a piece, and anticipated return depending on the goods can be expected to range from 400 to 500 dRM monthly..."

Sebastian smiles wanly.

So Herr Santini, you expect me to risk my entire life savings outfitting a mere two vessels for the potential, yet not probable return of 500dM? What of the threat of piracy, we have not the navy to defend your little vessels. Do I strike you as some sort of buffoon? Is this some ill-conceived ploy to bleed me dry? Have you spent much time in the Baltic Ports, getting a little too close to our Russian friends eh!?

Wilhelm is on his feet.

"Sir, if you're going to be delusional, I will be leaving. I was merely identifying a source of potential as of yet unclaimed income, for which I obviously was hoping would result in reciprocation in the form of naval funding."

He manages to convey hurt quite well.

"If that is all, I shall be leaving."

Sebastian looks momentarily abashed and then melds his countenance back into a mask wearing the guise of amusement.

Stop. I suppose I may have been...hasty in my assumptions. One vessel. That is all. But if anyone is to find out about this, especially your illustrious father, I will deny it to my deathbed and have you shipped off to some particularly malaria ridden wasteland.

Wilhelm now looks somewhat confused, but grateful.

"Excellent... even a minor investment in the merchant marine will not only bring in additional income, direct to your coffers, but also help draw out funding for the Kriegsmarine as well..."

He looks to the door

"Shall I see to the details, sir?"

Sebastian has now grown weary of this intrusion into his home and seeks to quickly end this charade of niceties.

Yes, yes we are agreed then. A most satisfactory agreement for us all I imagine. Kristoff shall show you out. Good day Herr Santini and bows stiffly.

As Wilhelm is leaving, Sebastian whispers in Kristoff's ear Follow the bastard, I don't trust him anymore than I do his father. If he meets with anyone else not pertinent to the arrangement of our investment, I wish to know immediately. I would hate to be double crossed, you know how I deal with traitors... and shares a sinister and significant look with Kristoff. Kristoff nods and plods off to do his master's bidding.
    Last edited by Santini; July 28, 2012 at 12:45 AM.

Also, our first battles have been fought, and we hope to have our BAARs out before the end of the week, so keep your eyes peeled

Janurary 17, 1805, 4:47 pm, Reimer Residence

A clap of thunder turned Markus' attention away from the news print and out at the downpour past the window, the rain having only started a moment ago. Out in the distance, he sees a carriage begin to pull up to the driveway.

"Hell of a storm to get caught in."

He mumbles to himself and then calls for his wife as he puts on his boots and picks himself up off the chair.

"Catherine, we have visitors!"

Leopold knocked on the front door of the Reimer household. The entire building looked like a fortress where a rich baron could make his last stand against his enemies. The veteran soldier winced as his leg wound awoke and the pain surged. He slapped his hand against his thigh and grabbed it tightly, This is nothing compared to what the man inside this house must deal with.

Slowly, the pain faded away, and Leopold again knocked on the door.

Catherine Reimer opens the door and hurriedly ushers the drenched man in.

"Lets get you out of that rain. The last thing this country needs is a Marshal catching the flu. You are von Feuer correct? I saw an article in the newspaper with your photo. My husband has told me a little about you."

She takes his coat and hangs it up.

"You fought in the last war?"

Leopold nodded to the woman, "Yes I did. With your husband." He straightens his uniform, "Thank you for taking my coat."

"Of course. Markus told me the horrible stories of that war and I myself saw many a wounded soldier. A gastly time to be sure."

"Well it was until my leg was treated by the most wonderful nurse I have ever met...and believe me when I say I have met a few."

Markus decended the staircase, gazing at his wife before turning to his visitor.

"Marshal von Feuer, it is good to see you again. I trust you have already made acquaintances with my wife Catherine."

"Yes, Markus. She is quite a lovely woman." Leopold bows his head to Catherine. "Now, shall we get down to business?"

Catherine blushes and heads back upstairs. Markus walks with Leopold to a new room and they each take a chair.

"And here I thought you came all this way to hit on my wife." He produces a warm smile and he makes his leg comfortable. "What kind of business did you have in mind?"

Leopold entered the room with Markus and immediately walked over to the window to watch the rain pour down. "I thought it was time for the two of us to talk, man to man, without any of that political bullsh t, about what we expect of Prussia in the coming weeks and months."

"What does each of us envision for the future of our country, as it were."

"Honestly? I want a future where our country and her famous military is a defining power in Europe, one that has balanced the political instabilities and brought security to our borders for good. A little hopeful perhaps, but I don't see a stable future for Prussia with the continued conflict that plagues this continent."

He winces as he moves his foot into a comfortable resting place.

"And how about you? Grandiose plans or a more modest dream?"

Leopold smiles, "You know what I like about rain?" He stops staring out the window and turns to Rommel, "Rains comes and goes, it makes everything sloppy and messy and wet, and then when the sun comes out and dries everything off, the rain has already left its mark."

Leopold finds a nearby chair and sits down. "It doesn't matter that the sun pushed the rain away, because the rain made everything greener, it made everything better. Peasants from a hundred miles away will eat because it rained."

"I'm rain," he said, "I'm here now, late enough in my life, but I'll be gone soon." The Marshal looked at his jacket and brushed off some irrelevant dust. "I want to feed Prussia, I want to feed the people of this country with the pure honor and glory they deserve."

Markus' eyebrow has now become perpetually raised.

"Oh why do you have to be so philosophical about all of this? What they deserve is an honest paycheck, a few acres, and a government and military dedicated to protecting their livelihood. You know what I like about the rain? It gives a protecting fog of war and can mess up an enemy army's march."

He tooks out the window too and sees only the stormy weather.

"I suppose that is a result of my wholey military life. Father was a Field Marshal, graduated from officer's school as soon as I could, everything got f cked over in my first real war, and here I am...just wanting my legacy to be seen in a new Prussian army that strikes true pride in the nation. I only wish it were so simple."

Leopold turns to Markus with a smile on his face, "My friend, you find that army, and I will find the money to buy it, arm it, and feed it." Leopold holds his hand out for the Marshal of the Armed Forces to shake.

Markus returns the gesture.

"And I will assure you that we will do more than enough to defend the interests of Prussia, whatever they may be. It is good to have a friend at my back, Leopold."

Leopold retrieves his coat, "Yes, it is good to have people I can trust in the capital."

"A fickle thing that should be treasured. Goodbye, Heer von Feuer."

Markus paces the room and looks thoughtfully out the window one more time before shutting the curtains.
    Last edited by pattonrommel; July 28, 2012 at 12:36 AM.

Janurary 18, 1805, 3:29 pm, Reimer Residence

The carriage pulls quickly up the lot, and squeals to a halt. Klaus leaps rather gracefully out, seeming quite sober for once. He flips a half-RM to the driver, mounts the step, and he knocks three times, loudly.

He faces the street, the cigar in his right hand gently smoking.

Markus finally makes his way to the door, having been pulled from his couch when he had only just gotten comfortable. Opening the door, he puts on his best fake smile and greets the man.

"Marshal von Santini. What a wonderful suprise."

Catherine looks in from an adjacent room.

"Markus, why do you never tell me when visitors are coming over? I could have put some tea on."
    Klaus is on his best behavior, not even glancing at Markus's wife, nor making comment.

"Markus. I would like to take a moment to discuss a few high clearance issues... in private."

Catherine rolls her eyes as she walks back. She was even more disinterested in politics than Markus was.

"I guess I'll make that tea then."

Klaus reaches into his coat, pulls free a bottle of actual Vodka, and waggles it suggestively. Markus sighs to himself, shows Klaus to the study, closes the door behind them and picks up a pair of drink glasses.

"What is so damn important that you would rather discuss in my quite home rather than a proper boardroom?"

Quickly, Klaus's eye darts about the room. He breaths in deep...

"Firstly, I would like to apologize for my behavior, both at the Assembly, but also, importantly, at the Officer's Club."

He begins to hand the bottle to Markus.

"No, no...don't bother appologizing for all that stuff. I already expect it out of you...and at least you are honest."

Markus pours himself a glass and hands the bottle back, his smile now a bit more genuine.

"As long as we can drink at the end of the day, it shouldn't matter how we got there. And everything seems to be well in motion now, for better or worse."

Klaus smiles, a little sadly.

"You are indeed an Alte Kampfer, and a comrade of mine... it is just this..." Klaus taps at his forehead "... does not wish to behave so much."

Klaus takes a seat.

"I wished to discuss the focus of our military intelligence. As you are aware, at the moment we truly only have a single intelligence asset in Section 6, and currently they are deployed in the Tyrol region." He takes a sip straight from the bottle. "Given that our focus is divided between two theaters separated by a vast divide, I feel that now is the time to set a priority and objective for this group until we have managed to create another."

Markus nods as he starts drinking.

"I would love to have strong intellegence on any conflict that starts erupting between France and Austria. Considering we are advancing to the west, knowing what is happening at the borders will be invaluable. Also, if we can get a good look at Saxon and Hessen troops, I am sure you would benefit from that information as well."

Klaus leans forward, puffing at his cheroot, yet careful the smoke does not stray into Markus's eyes.

"I believe we acquire sufficient intelligence on the forces of Hessen and Saxony from agents secreted into our trade routes... however significant portions of the shared Austro/French border are dark..." He thinks for a moment. "So, our intelligence assets, then, should be directed to the regions just north east of Switzerland, yes?"

His fingers drum at the arms of his chair.

"And when additional Section 6 assets become available, where should they be directed?"

"The Russian border is always a good thing to watch. Lots of territory to cover, but we can see where they are massing their troops. With that, we will be effectively watching three potential enemies."

Markus' thoughts are caught by a lingering question.

"Do you think Austria can hold off France? They will undoubtably recieve Russian assistance, but France seems to be rallying army after army to fight in a national zeal. I have never seen anything like it."

Klaus shrugs.

"To be honest?" He takes a small sip from the bottle. "No. I suspect it will be quite back and forth, perhaps even for years, until either the French break through, or we intervene. But you know my feelings on that issue."

"I do hope so. If the Coalition does not need us, then we are all the better for it. As much as I hate to say it, this war may buy us the time we need to become a serious power again and be at par with the nations surrounding us. And who knows, if they all hit each other hard enough, we may not have to fight at all."

Markus glanced aside as he grinned hopefully, seriously doubting his own words.

Klaus purses his lips, then speaks.

"The sounds dangerously like isolationist pacifism to me..." He stubbs out his cigar. "I am of the opinion that we are, in fact, in line to be ready to join this war no later than May or June- provided we have chosen a side, be it Napoleon or the Coalition."

"Well considering how the last war went, you can understand my hesitation. So before I back any side, we better be more than prepared. Experienced armies, experienced commanders, and any advantage we can find."

Klaus begins searching his pockets again, looking for the next cheroot.

"I am of the opinion that half our failure in the last war was the all the f cking pissing about the old General Staff did- we had an opportunity to strike, unexpected and hard, that disappeared within the first week- let along the first months and years."

"Yet if we do strike hard and fast, we better know where to hit to win a decisive victory. No point in fighting if it is just going to end in a stalemate, eh? But more than our ability, I want to be confident in our military again. We may be enlisting hundreds of conscripts ready for the fight, but they will not be the force we need when the real war..."

Both men turned as a knocking sound was heard on the other side of the room. Catherine came in holding a tray full of tea, immediately frowning at the sight of the vodka.

"Well I see you boys already have your choice drinks."

"That doesn't mean I prefer it over your homemade tea...Catherine...honey?"

Markus watches with dread as the door closes firmly. He takes one last gulp of the vodka.

"Well I won't be hearing the last of that."

Klaus looks back up from the floor.

"These forces we will be assembling under the Landwehr act are exactly the kind of forces we require for a full scale war- just look the the National Guard of France. Already those we have in training are shaping up to be the equal of the full Line Regiments of central europe, in volume of fire at least- and those who opt to extend their 24 month service will form the hard core of our Fusiliers and Line."

Klaus gives up the search for his cheroot. Markus' gaze reluctantly switches from the door back to him.

"Perhaps, but can they hold the line while the veteran enemy musketeers charge with bayonetts raised straight into their center? That remains to be seen. You will be leading the first engagements of our new army and we will be eagerly awaiting news on their performance and capabilities."

Klaus gives a grin, as he stands.

"Indeed. Have faith. Give me a force, half Landwehr, and I'll prove to all the world the worth and steel of Prussian manhood." He extends a hand to Markus. "I'll make myself scarce, least your partner start looking to more fertile pastures."

There is a twinkle to his eye.

"Well however you see it, she is the only thing in this world that keeps me sane. Now get out before you cause more trouble than what you are worth."

Markus grabs Klaus' hand and picks himself up. He shoos out his fellow Marshal and makes his way over to a nearby table, where his wife left the tea. He takes a sip and immediately chokes it up. Looking back down at his cup and hesitates for a second before chugging the whole drink and forcing it down. Shuddering, he takes a deep breath and sits down, laughing it off.

Outside, Klaus curses, having found his tobacco after all. He lights up, and boards his carriage back to the Military Quarter.
    Last edited by pattonrommel; June 16, 2012 at 03:03 PM.

Editorial Note: The build up to the first battles will be starting soon. And trust me when I say the payoff will be quite bloody and epic. Keep watching for updates and please post any and all suggestions and ideas you guys have

Strategic Briefing - January 19th, 1805
    Markus stood at the front of the briefing room. Before him sat the top officers and commanders of the nation as well as the three other marshals.

"Gentlemen, this is it. We are mobilizing for war and making ready to expand our borders in hopes that we may better defend it as the continent decends into all-out conflict. What I am about to show you, Fall Schwarz, is strictly classified."

He pulls down a screen, revealing two operations maps.

"Chief of Staff Klaus von Santini has...graciously volunteered to use his invaluable military experience to take command of I Korps and lead the occupation of Saxony and Hessen. Though there is some support for Prussia in these regions, I am afraid strong force must be used against the inevitable resistance. Schwarz will involve a two stage plan. I Korps moves in to swiftly take Dresden in early March and immediately marches towards Kessel. III Korps will take over occupational duties in Saxony and if all goes well, the operation should be concluded by early April."

Markus moves to a second map of Prussia and points to three cities.

"For now, I Korps is to be based out of Berlin, II Korps out of Konigsburg, and III Korps will move from Berlin to Dresden after the operation in order to cover our respective borders.."

He paces back to the center and points his cane at a particular officer in the group.

"Brigadier General Wolf, you get command of Konigsburg Korps and defensive operations on the Eastern Front."

The officer's face immediately grows pale with dread.

"Any questions?"

Klaus nods.

"Command of III Korps?"

"To be decided. We are quite lacking in officers who have actual war experience...ones who have not died in battle, died in the uprest, been maimed, or retired...forcibly or not. We need a capable commander on the Austrian border."

He looks back up to the assembled group of officers.

"The rest of you will check the board in the back for your deployment orders. When the time comes, the commanding officers will be given their orders. Dismissed."

Markus is immediately approached by Maximilien Wolf as the rest of the officers leave. He was a younger officer than was common for his rank, but he remained clean shaven and well presented at all times.

"Marshal, I was wondering if my deployment on the Russian border had anything to do with my..."

"...little incident with the Polish rebels? What you proved in Warsaw was that your are too rash and insubordinate to trust for any offensive action. It wasn't my choice to promote you to Brigidier General...excuse me...ACTING Brigidier General, so perhaps a defensive command will do more to cool your hot head and give you a new perspective. Your army will not move unless given direct orders from me and I will be keeping you on a tight leash."

"I made a decisve strike against the uprising! If we had waited for reenforcements, we may never have caught the Poles with their guard down! There is a reason I was given the political support for my promotion!"

"You got lucky! Your element of surprise came on information that no one could have predicted, especially not you! What I saw was a corporal who pursued his own instinct over an experienced brass and risked an operation a month in the making in order to make the newspaper. I respect your tactical abilities well enough to command a Korps, no matter how small it may currently be, but I am not ready to trust you making strategic desisions on your own. Are we clear?"

The officer's stubborn face quickly faded and he shifted his eyes.

"Y...yes sir."

General Wolf gave a weak salute and promtly marched out of the room, grumbling as he went. Klaus watches the young man leave, and raises an eyebrow at Markus as he gathers up his paperwork.

"I like him."

Markus lets out a grin, not surprised by the comment.

"And if he was one to follow orders rather make up his own and was a tad more careful, I would have given him I Korps in a heartbeat...no offense. Speaking of which, are you ready for your command?"

The easy grin is gone from Klaus's face, his hand playing over the hilt at his belt. With only a silent, angry glance, he turns and takes his leave.

"Oh right, I forgot that it was well past time for your hourly nap, you old ass."

Markus started collecting together the documents and papers sprawled on the desk. Perhaps General Wolf was the least of his worries.
    Last edited by pattonrommel; June 19, 2012 at 09:28 PM.

Budget Assembly - January 20th, 1805

Three guards open the double doors into the assembly room of the offices of the Treasury Department, and the old man known as the Chief of the building walked in behind them. Leopold sat down at the table and poured a glass of clear liquid, drinking it down very slowly. "Ick. Water."

Unusually, Klaus is the second man to enter. Dismissing both his Guard at the door, he walks past the table, snatching up Leopold's glass, and taking a large gulp. Surprised, he chokes and spits it out on the floor. "Pfffwwwwwww! WATER?!?!?" He wipes his face with his sleeve, extracting a flask from his jacket.

Markus Reimer finds his way to the room and pours himself a glass of the drink as he sits. He takes a sip, blinks in suprise for a second, shrugs, and finishes the glass off.

"A bit watered down, but not bad. What is it?"

Leopold looks up from his papers, then at Klaus. He clears his throat, "That is, the uh, new alcohol we have received from Russia."

Klaus goes along, "Indeed, they call it 'wodka'". He turns to Markus, "In Polish, that means 'Water'"

Markus frowns as he looks at the pitcher, suddenly picking up the sarcasm. "Oh...well hell, that is the worst tasting water I have ever had." He immediately fills up his glass again.

Klaus hides his grin as he turns toward Leopold, "Well, I realize we're stuck waiting on Sebastian, again, but tell me anyway: I've heard excellent news about the mid month tariff and tax incomes..."

Sebastian interrupts as he strides in imperiously, nonchalantly disregarding his abhorrent tardiness. "We may begin now, I was held up with important business at my estate. Please continue, esteemed gentlemen." He takes a seat, reaching for a glass of water. He sips at it coquettishly and distrustfully eyes the great men viewing him with disgust.

Leopold takes another drink of water, wincing at the empty taste.

"Trade and tariffs have proceeded mostly as this department had planned, and our income skyrocketed to 6,000 dRM. However, in addition to that, we saw very promising growth across the board, resulting in a modest, yet encouraging additional 200 dRM into our budget from taxes."

Leopold looks down at some papers, which at this point have been passed around to all the staff present. "As you will see, without raising any taxes whatsoever, enough of our citizens' prosperity increased that it came out to mean increased tax income for the state." He flips through a few pages. "And, as you will also note, it is the first positive growth we have seen in the past decade."

"The income we have available will now be divided up into the Departments of Development as well as the Department of the Armed Forces. One mutual goal of both departments would be the increasing of infrastructure, and so I am immediately approving another 1,500 dRM to build what we are calling the Capital Highway running from Berlin to Stettin, to Danzig to Konigsberg. This money will be earmarked to the Department of Development."

Leopold clears his throat and fills his glass with more water, "To this effect, there is now 4,672 dRM to be spent among the two Departments. Have you both prepared budget requests?"

"Give me as many Landwehr troops as your careful budget will permit and the military will be happy."

Markus pours himself another glass of the water, having already downed his last.

"Very well, we shall take that into consideration. Hopefully you can make whatever we spend on your troops last and repay itself with the spoils of war. Chief of Development? Do you have a budget request in mind?"

Klaus looks up from the pencil he is twirling, "And so help me god, you ask for f cking university funding, I will f cking END you."

Sebastian smirks at Klaus and tilts his head in acknowledgement of the jest.

"It is time to expand our naval might to fill our coffers. I would like two fine trade ships constructed; obviously they are to be named after me and my lineage upon completion. In addition we shall construct two farms in the motherland. One in West Prussia and one in Pomerania."

Sebastian sits back in his chair, a self-satisfied smile playing upon his lips.

Leopold looks at his notes, then back at Sebastian. "Ahem, although I enjoy your oversight, and will recommend you replace one trade ship with a local market instead, you should be recommending me an amount of dRM, or a list of things you want, rather than just the exact plan you are employing."

"However, for the purpose of this meeting I will overlook it." Leopold shifted his leg and wrote a few things down. "Will you accept my revisions? It will overall decrease your request by a mere 50 dRM."

Sebastion grins ruefully, "I need not bother with the querulous details of currency, I merely outline my grand plans for the further propagation of glory for Prussia. I accept your revision, I shall make do with a single ship if need be."

"Very well then." Leopold quickly stands and nods his head to two of the guards in the room. "Gentleman, I must be leaving this meeting rather quickly. I have some personal business to attend to."

The two guards followed Leopold out the door as he exited.
    Last edited by pattonrommel; July 28, 2012 at 12:38 AM.

Office of CAF - February 2nd, 1805

In the hall, Leutnant zu See, Wilhelm von Santini brushes nervously at his uniform, insuring that it lies proper and just so. He removes his cap, stows it prim under his left arm, and takes a deep breath, knocking on the door. He exhales, slowly.

A irritated voice is heard from inside. "Open the damn door yourself!"

Markus snaps back into a sitting stance, having been lounging as far as his chair would lean. He starts to shuffle the cluttered papers back into proper piles and looks at the visitor as he approaches.

Carefully Wilhelm eases open the door, then squares up and throws a sharp salute.

"Sir! I was hoping to discuss the future of the Kriegsmarine, sir!"

"Oh stop yelling and spit it out already."

Markus felt his old leg wound acting up again and was not in the mood for formalities. Nervously, Wilhelm now clutches his hat with both hands, in serious danger of bending the brim.

"Ummmm.... ahhh...."

Markus rolls his eyes and pulls out one of his lagers, pouring it out.

"Sit down, drink up, and start talking."

Wilhelm snatches up the proffered glass, and drinks rather too deeply, very nearly choking. The flush, however, has begun to disappear from his face.

"Ah..." He places his hat upon the floor "Well, sir..." He hesitates for a moment, before launching into a fast dialogue "... as you are probably aware, the current state of the Kriegsmarine is 3 vessels ready for conversion to war status, to 32 gun status medium frigates."

He looks down at the floor for a moment, then back at the Marshal.

"Sir, from first hand experience, these vessels are not acceptable. They may indeed be converted to carry the correct weight, but their structure and frame simply will not bear up to true combat conditions. They may full well stand conversion to trade vessels, but they are not and will never be fit for open ocean combat."

Markus frowned at this as he filled his own glass.

"Well then pick your battles carefully. Until more ships come out, which will unfortunately be much less than what you expect, you will have to do what you can with what you have and choose your battles very carefully. Our navy is a fickle and untested thing...we cannot fully fund it until it proves a worthwhile venture. Establish a secure trad routee first, then talk to me about what you need."

Wilhelm' face looked distinctly unsettled.

"Sir, that is not acceptable! If we have any hope of holding the Baltic in the event of those wars, we need a Navy! Not even a proper Navy, but a frigate fleet! Give me one heavy and two light frigates and we can hold off the Russian fleet, I promise you that!"

He trembles slightly, and is sweating as Markus drums his fingers and smiles back at the officer.

"That is more like it. Straight and to the point. I cannot promise you anything, especially the heavy frigate, but I will start pushing for frigate production for our military. But our priority now is to trade and keep our ports open, not to fight. Please keep that in mind."

Wilhelm leans back in the chair, a nervous smile starting to settle over his face.

"Th... thank you, sir. I will keep that in mind, sir. Very good, sir."

He stands. "Begging you leave, sir"

"Yes , yes, get out of here."

He waits until the officer leaves before leaning back again.

Why aren't all my commanders that professional?

Outside in the hall, Wilhelm curses, and looks back at the door, balling his fists. He raises one arm, about to knock...

But then leaves.

"... my favorite, handsomest service hat..."

He trudges down the hall and exits, bareheaded.
    Last edited by pattonrommel; July 26, 2012 at 04:47 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast