Thread: Killed Charles in Dec 1942

Default Killed Charles in Dec 1942

I killed Charles at the end of 1942 and took Oxford but this hasnt seemed to have made any difference to the campaign, is Charles II the new Fraction leader?

gaunty14's Avatar Vicarius

Default Re: Killed Charles in Dec 1942

No it just moves to another Royalist General, exactly the same as with any Med2 faction that doesn't have a family tree, and due to the suicidal nature of characters in this game it would be a pretty bad game if 5 turns in an army led by the Earl of Essex or Earl of Manchester defeated Charles 1 took Oxford and the game said

"Well done you've successfully ended the English Civil War"

Taking Oxford will hurt the Royalists as No1 its a good position to hold and No2 their treasurary is lcoated their. As long as you don't blitx/cheat you find they can still pack a punch if you let them regroup

"will help build battle station for food" - or rep

It would be good though if there were only certain named generals that could become King...Ending up facing none other than King The Government of Arundel the Honourable was somewhat unbelievable!

No way of doing that I'm afraid without a family tree and clear lines of succession, otherwise it goes to the most qualified chap.

Perhaps taking Charles off the battlefield and putting him in a figurehead position more akin to that of the Monarchs and Presidents in Empire would be a solution. After all, he didn't personally do much if any fighting and the game loses something of its historical credibility if he is put out of the picture. Would it be possible to make his capture a victory condition for Parliament? If Parliament takes Oxford they capture him and if the Royalists then defeat the army that captured him, he escapes and Parliament then has to defeat that army to get him back again...Would that work somehow?...I love this mod, but the person of Charles himself was so central to this conflict, it sort of defeats the point if he can be eliminated so easily...

Col. Tartleton's Avatar Comes Limitis

The 300 Years War?

I'm impressed.
    The Earth is inhabited by billions of idiots.
    The search for intelligent life continues...

Caesar_1991's Avatar Miles

With Charles dead the English can finally join the war against Hitler

Well what a couple of lovely off-topic posts you are.

Hey I just killed Charles too, and Germany landed 6 full size stacks on my coast. And now France and Japan have declared war on me! What did I do wrong? Man this game is bollocks.

Back to the substance of this topic. King Charles did not believe anyone would try to kill him. There is in principle the option to add a condition to the campaign script that if King Charles dies, the campaign is lost. Maybe one can imagine the condition is there.

Players who cannot resist killing him will have to pretend the next guy taking over is a regent for Charles II.

I'm wondering, further to my idea earlier on whether, to simulate the political aspect of the war more accurately, King Charles could be removed from the battlefield but retained as an extra factor based on the way the Pope works in vanilla MTW2...If you're playing as the Royalists, he could issue missions and rewards and the number of crowns (Papal Crosses) indicates how happy he is with how the war is going. If you run out of crowns, he surrenders to Parliament...Likewise, when playing as the Parliamentarians, a similar factor is included to indicate the mood of Parliament. If Oxford (Royalists) or London (Parliamentarians) is taken, as with the Senate in RTW, the government factors cease to function, it is assumed that the King has been captured or Parliament dissolved and the armies are left to fight it out on their own...

Quote Originally Posted by zaroff1 View Post
    I'm wondering, further to my idea earlier on whether, to simulate the political aspect of the war more accurately, King Charles could be removed from the battlefield but retained as an extra factor based on the way the Pope works in vanilla MTW2...If you're playing as the Royalists, he could issue missions and rewards and the number of crowns (Papal Crosses) indicates how happy he is with how the war is going. If you run out of crowns, he surrenders to Parliament...Likewise, when playing as the Parliamentarians, a similar factor is included to indicate the mood of Parliament. If Oxford (Royalists) or London (Parliamentarians) is taken, as with the Senate in RTW, the government factors cease to function, it is assumed that the King has been captured or Parliament dissolved and the armies are left to fight it out on their own...
    The problem with this is that Charles was an active general in his own right historically, and actually had to be called back from going into melee a few times (like at Naseby). On top of that, he never really did surrender to Parliament when his war effert collapsed, he had to be crushed underfoot and taken personally when Oxford fell. Given his personality, I don't see him having given in otherwise. So that doesn't fit.

That said, it is an intriguing idea, and it would fit a lot more for Parliament or- more possibly- some foreign power like the Scots, the Dutch, or what have you. Since I could see-say- Cromwell and the Grandees fighting on if Parliament surrendered. But it still has a number of issues.

It's interesting, but that's my opinion. Also doesn't help that this mod hasn't really seen much action lately.

Yes, keeping him as a general is fair enough, but it would still be better if he is automatically captured rather than killed if he loses a battle, rather than have a series of highly unusual and unhistorical Kings take his place...Charles was the pivotal figure that was the reason for the war...Without him, it becomes rather pointless...Of course, in vanilla MTW2, under the Pope mechanism, the Pope is also a general, so it's not entirely unworkable to put him in such a framework and keep him in the field...

Perhaps it is me but reading here some may be confused by Charles the I and Charles II