Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: UNIT PREVIEW AND DISCUSSION - Gahurchlai Campaign

Squeaks's Avatar More full of whinging

Default Re: UNIT PREVIEW AND DISCUSSION - Gahurchlai Campaign

Quote Originally Posted by NekoGenijalan View Post
    Whoa! They look so futuristic. Do they shoot lasers from their eyes?
    How about from their nose?
    Just joking. I have got to say, you have outdone yourself. These are the best dwarfs I have seen!
    Tha's cool...I hope they keep getting better after this. I'm not sure they're the best, but I quite like 'em, but then I have to like the units I create really....just never QUITE satisfied with what I make of the idea.....

Quote Originally Posted by Legio View Post
    Very fearsome indeed.
    And grumpy too. The trouble with Khezdruli is a lack of variety in terms of design; they make weapons of war through necessity, not as an 'art' as many of their neighbours honestly believe. Actually, quite the opposite. Uhm, I think I did this for an internal textual piece, but I'll see if I can dig out the notes on their weapons and stuff - Dwarves are not obsessed with making perfect weapons - they made them a long time ago and are quite bored of the whole thing really. The skill is in metals used and the qualities of the moulding and forging, but that is nothing to assuage the Hunger all dwarves feel.

Please do tell me if I've explained all of the Dwarf stuff before....I was actually wondering if someone would go through these threads and our internal sites too, and gather together all the texts that have been released online. I dunno if it's worth it, but we could bung it in a pdf or something at some point?

If someone wants to do it, then I'd be most grateful.

On that note....I would LOVE it if people began to ask questions on lore and stuff...maybe I should begin to release details of the background to the Ghaur Campaign, as these will begin to overshadow the details of the MAIN campaign soon. As we gear up to the Ghaur campaign, then we'll concentrate almost solely on that, so many bits will be sidelined.

Actually, I'll post a wee bit of an intro to the Ghaur campign in a minute

Quote Originally Posted by cedric37 View Post
    OMG, pure Squeakart !

Quote Originally Posted by Malanthor View Post
    Looks very nice. I have high hopes for this mod, looks awesome so far!
    Thanks Malanthor...always good to hear it.

Quote Originally Posted by 2Shy View Post
    Great work! +rep

'ello. Sorry about the delay in getting other images to you...been busy making DB stuff, just have spent more time doing it internally rather than here for various reasons. I HAD to peel myself off the floor for long enough to give you these though - hope you like them...the finished Ildiri Swan Knights and their horsies, albeit I had a booboo with a model piece that I could sort in seconds if I wasn't feeling yucky...

Oh my... I don't get tired of sayin' this, your work is incredible!
    Click on my sig and check out my modelling works! Your opinion is welcome!

Torak's Avatar Libertus

love them by far one of the coolest cav unit so far keep up the amazing work

Damn... every time you make a new unit, i can only say: awesome or amazing. Really love those wings on the rider and horse

Quote Originally Posted by Conqistador View Post
    Oh my... I don't get tired of sayin' this, your work is incredible!
    It's very much a thing that's always pleasant to hear, for sure

I always find it slightly bewildering though....

Quote Originally Posted by Torak View Post
    love them by far one of the coolest cav unit so far keep up the amazing work
    Well, they are quite tough; the most iconic of the Ildiri host for BOTH campaigns, except there is a more distinct split in the main campaign due to the Ildiri twin kingdoms - Heron and Swan; in the first campaign there is just the Heron Kingdom, and the Swan caste units are the dmoain of the Princes rather than the Royal central trooops.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Blue Guard View Post
    Damn... every time you make a new unit, i can only say: awesome or amazing. Really love those wings on the rider and horse
    Thanks! A tad of reducing to do, which is SOOO boring, but it's worth it.

Uhm, I am starting to do the weird units for the Ghaurchlai campaign - the oddities that will not be present in the main camapign (except maybe as custom battle only)....here's one, and I can't tell you what they are - it would spoil things in just a tiny way, and that's no good at all!

I can't show units ingame atm, because it's a bit too much for me, but i can still make 'em....they're so different ingame, but it can't be helped atm.

Hope you like 'em.

Oh yes; the eyes being covered in chainmail is NOT a problem, as they don't use eyes to see. What's under the robes ain't prettty to look at, but their hearts are of the finest. Oh, and if they get into a fight, you should see a lot of dead people.

They're ghosts or something, in my opinion... Just a opinion, of course!

Quote Originally Posted by Conqistador View Post
    They're ghosts or something, in my opinion... Just a opinion, of course!
    Heh...not a bad idea, but nope. The Eidolon, or the Yaga Dai, as they are seperately but widely known are the 'ghosts' in DB, but they feature only in small ways in either campaign....for the Ghaur campaign, they will appear late game for the Han Dinen, should the Han Dinen survive (Han Dinen, if possible will be the third of the main game options to play btw), but in the BIG campaign they will present in number for the Iryn Thaan.

Manifestation of spirits and ghosts and the dead is far more physical in DB than we have in our own legends and tales; they ARE solid, and they CAN be 'slain' - sent back to the Farstream (incidentally, the death of a manifest 'ghost' harms the God that sent them, not the actual spirit, which is why they don't send armies of them or all the time. It possible to even kill a god if they manifest their eidolon hosts in large enough numbers and they all get wiped out).

Just to explain a little;

EIDOLON - when a person dies, should they have worshipped with any belief or certainty, their god(s) can choose to use their own divine power to sift their soul from the Farstream (a river that flows through the world of the dead, often distinctly seperating parts), in which case, it joins their 'Host' of followers in the realm of the dead - they retain memories and full mental functions etc and act and live in a state of 'elysium' based on the nature of their god.

YAGA DAI - Naturally occuring spirits/Avatars, demi gods, creatures and the souls of those who were not claimed by a god, the Yaga Dai pursue their oen agenda in their own 'lands' and are bound by severe rules and restrictions. They do not have the 'freedom' of the Eidolon at all. However, they manifest in MANY different ways, and are often powerful beyond an Eidolon, who rely on the strength of their god in part. Yaga Dai often will enter the service of a god, and perform duties for them, in return for the god suppressing the natural 'laws' of the world of the dead (set by whatever cosmic force is believed in in legend)., so they can gain entry to the physical plane, or simply walk ebyond the Yaga Dai territories, which are not overly pleasant to be in.

Got it... Interesting point of view the one of DB about the dead. Really unusual for me (used to see it in mythologies like greek and norse), but very interesting!

Thanks for the explanation!

Legio's Avatar EMPRESS OF ALL THINGS
    Content Emeritus

Quite nice.

Borissomeone's Avatar Citizen

Quite nice.

I agree.

Under the Patronage of TheFirstONeill.

I thought I had better show that I was still progressing with stuff, so I'll show the heroes (well, one or two) that represent the weirder aspects....I posted their notes earlier...

LAETHE WYTCHSPEAR - The twin sister of Ithil, Princess of the Ildiri, she left the kingdom of Herons after their mother died, torn apart by this. Found to be barren, she left to find purpose in her diminishing heart, before it froze over completely. She wields the Wytchspear; a spear of ice that kills savagely, and her natural Water powers have become those of ice - she is a killer....demented and tortured, she wears a broken mask to hide her beauty and trains obsessively with her battle skills. Solace barely controls her - she knows HOW her mother died truly, and cannot abide by it. SHe was seeking a way to damn herself to eternal punishment, but sees a higher purpose after agreeing to quest with the others.

Content Emeritus

What are the protrusions from her helmet? Spikey things or hair?

Iced metal 'icicles' - so spiky things covered in ice....a halo of metally icey spikes

Torak's Avatar Libertus

Squeaks my bro just asked me what program u use for modeling i told him 3ds max was i right?

heh. Most people despair at this, or simply find it odd, but I use Milkshape for 90% of my modelling. I love it's simplicity and grace - Max is clunky and annoyingly over-complicated in achieving the simplest tasks, BUT it does some things that just aren't possible on Milkshape. If you want to make very complex things, or use better shape-modelling, use Max, but I find that custom modelling in Milkshape is more fun. I never get bored of doing it, maybe because it is a little challenging, but I also guess I had to learn the hard way with Milkshape and I find it's uving tools are actually very useful when you get used to knowing what they can actually do - use Milky and Lithunwrap and you've got all you want. Max makes life simpler in many ways, but more ridiculously annoying in others. I guess if you can integrate both, you're set to go. I also use Hexagon a little now too, as it's very very good, and free now, along with all of DAZ's animation tools etc.

Blender should be burnt.

SO, I would suggest learning on milkshape, others wouldn't. AT least with Milky you get a fair bit of support here, as many people use it and have written tutorials for it, as far as I'm aware (might be wrong).

Content Emeritus

Can you make them straighter, Sqk (the icicles)?

Your elves and dwarves are often declared to be fantasy cliches, but the way you presented them and made them your own has created something wonderful and unique. Bravo! And man, does it not look like a good idea to tick off an Ildiri. Wouldn't want that weapon coming at me.
    Co-Leader of BRITANNIAE: INVASIO SAXONUM

Can you make them straighter, Sqk (the icicles)?
    Of course. Uhm...will do and have a peek at what they look like....I kinda didn't want them to be like that, as it iced over metal, but there's absolutely no harm in trying it out to see if it's better.

Quote Originally Posted by ArtoriusRex View Post
    Your elves and dwarves are often declared to be fantasy cliches,
    Really? Well, I'm not so sure.....the armies of the cliches are quite different in some ways - yes, there are swan knights and stuff for the Ildiri, so I can see that, but the backgrounds are reasonably different. Yay for cliches!!

but the way you presented them and made them your own has created something wonderful and unique. Bravo!
    Thank you....genuinely. I don't look at the soldiers of the races in the same way as many others do - in fact, I just CAN'T see my stuff any other way than it is. It wouldn't seem right to have long haired elves in nice outfits really for me...they are fighters, full time soldiers, and they need to look cool and mean. I'm pretty sure it's a little more imtimidating and confidence boosting to have a war mask than a frightened face, and elves don't do Braveheart shouting and stuff well.

And man, does it not look like a good idea to tick off an Ildiri. Wouldn't want that weapon coming at me.
    Well, she's yet to get her point ice spear, but, yes, they do kill people quite well - they've a had a while to practice too. Laethe is a 'hero' who's quite a lot more vicious than your average Ildiri, but she IS quite naughty - wouldn't want to tick her off either!

I have another little fella for you, but I haven't rigged his joints yet, so it may require a bit/lot of vertex shifting to get them in the right place, so the knees don't come through the coat thing. He's not perfect as such, but he'll have to do.

THE DAWNRAZOR - walker between moon and sun, the Dawnrazor is an immensely powerful guy. He's the son of two gods, and wields blades that can cut through any material - they sever the ties between molecules rather than strike the actual substance itself. He is a surgeon of death; he is a precise, emotionless killer, feeling no anger or hate, just a prowess that is of a demi god. He has powers too, of course.

Content Emeritus

I like this man.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast