Thread: "Che effect" on GIMP

Domesticus
    Artifex

Default "Che effect" on GIMP

This brief tutorial explains a way to use the "Che effect" on GIMP. There are many other ways to do this and the results are a bit different from each other.
    This technique is especially suitable for getting a little more detailed Che-style picture.

Click to view content: 
    Let's start off with a basic NTW shot (yes, I'm too lazy to search for a suitable face):

Step 1
    Click "Filters > Artistic > Cartoon" and apply the Cartoon filter.

Step 2
    Click "Colours > Threshold" and adjust the slider as you want.

Step 3
    Click "Colors > Color to Alpha" and select white to alpha.

The result

After this you might want to do some retouching by hand (for example to remove the single pixels and pixel groups at the top of the picture). Also blurring the image a bit may be a nice trick at this point.

This is what the same picture looks without the Cartoon effect (step 1) applied:

The difference is quite a minor one though, but as always in image editing, everything counts.

You can (and I recommend you to) do any adjustments to the steps above - as an example I could mention the Cartoon step. Remember to use your imagination - I've just taught you only the very basics of this technique, and I'm sure you will be able to do this better!
    Thanks for reading!
    ~Goofy
    Last edited by Goofy; January 18, 2012 at 11:43 AM.

Default Re: "Che effect" on GIMP

A very nice effect for making striking images from these games. As I am not one that works on these kinds of graphic works I wonder how difficult this would be for a newbie? As always keep up the good work!
    Piss Poor Tech Support of Last Resort