Thread: Getting my arse kicked

Default Getting my arse kicked

....playing as the Greeks. Anyone got any good tips for the first couple of years?

Whatever i try the Macedonians take Athens at the first or second attempt, by which time all I have left on the mainland is the Spartan Guard, 2 family members and a bouzouki.

I have restarted 4 times and it is getting embarassing.

DimeBagHo's Avatar Praeses

Default Re: Getting my arse kicked

I haven't played GCS with the newest version, but what I usually do is ask the Macs for an alliance early on (they usually accept) and start building up my forces in the Peloponnese as fast as I can. Hire any mercs available as well, and pull in anything you can spare from Pergamum and Rhodes. The Macs will still attack sooner or later, if you don't hit them first, so obviously you need to be able to break the first couple of stacks they send at you. After that it gets a bit easier.

As for breaking those stacks - it is tempting to try to fight seige defences but I don't recommend it. The problem is they will keep you beseiged and you won't be able to train new units or replace losses. So meet them in the field and use your Spartans and familiy members to maximum effect.

Locky's Avatar Centenarius

The first turn, the AI, will pull out men from the Corinth garrasion. Put your faction leader, the spartan royal guard, and bring the Corinth family member with him and his army. And put them in the Tree's to the left of Corinth. You'll ambush quite a large army, that you should be able to obliterate. Using Spartans and the family members to maxium affects.

Good stuff guys. I have tried defending Athens walls with levy pikemen and theuphori.

Do Darth Formations affect siege behaviour? This is the first time I have played with them and previously the attackers would stand quietly there whilst I burnt their ram and then have a picnic under the walls whilst I shot them to pieces.

Now they come with ladders in 3 different places, whilst keeping the rest of their army well out of range. Once their thorakatai and regular pikemen are on the walls it's no contest - they will take the gatehouse and it's all over.....

Shouldn't complain because it is now MUCH more of a challenge (playing 4.0 on H/M).

Thanks again, I shall re-load for the 5th time and meet them in the woods.

Get an Alliance with Macedon - first turn. The Macedonians start with a big stack at larissa, so you'd rather not have to fight them so early.

Build for the first ten turns or so, then take Corinth.

Pull everyone out of Asia Minor soonish or you'll be at war with Pontus and Seleucia. Or you can stay and get seiged turn after turn - I wouldn't as you need to gain control of Greece, and trade rather than war on your eastern front will help.

Consolidate in Greece. Build again. Then start moving north into the baltics, and east into Asia Minor.

DimeBagHo's Avatar Praeses

I often take Corinth and then defend north of Athens while I take the Aegean islands. That really helps to pick up your economy and cut into the Macedonian's economy. Then I go for Northern Greece and Macedonia. You certainly don't want to pick a fight with the Seleucids to early.

Thanks guys. Decisive victory outside Corinth - lots of dead Macedonian phalangites.

Hee Hee