Thread: Trade agreement negotiations

Default Trade agreement negotiations

Still very new to the game. I am in negotiation with the Chokosabe clan for a trade agreement. They have officially blew my mind. They actuallly offered one of there family Chokosabe Motochila as a hostage in negotiation. That does not seem like something a clan would do. Is that historically accurate.

Default Re: Trade agreement negotiations

OK..The giving of hostages is meant as a sign of good faith. The hostages are returned after a number of turns if the Clan does not betray you. Stilll a very strange game mechanic.

it makes perfect sense, and I believe even occurred historically (I'm not sure if Mitsuhide "gave" his mother as part of an agreement, but she was held as collateral)

Hell, it still goes on today. Legally, people put up possessions like houses and cars if they break agreements (and illegally, "hostages" are still exchanged as well). Great way to get the extra edge when you're bargaining though. Wouldn't give kids away to ambitious clans or clans with low integrity, because they'll probably just declare war on you and lop off the childs head.

It's just another way of keeping the other guy honest

Edit: In all my shogunning, with all my clans, at all stages of the game, I have NEVER been able to get a clan member from other clans (they'll accept being my vassal while I'm attacking their last empty city, but they wont hand over a brat for assurance!?)

How on Earth did you turn the screws so hard that they actually offered the child to you?
    Last edited by Lazarus; February 28, 2012 at 01:21 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Brian de Bois-Guilbert View Post
    the Church has only improved mankind in history

For this there are words, but none that abide by the ToS.

♘Top Hat Zebra's Avatar Praepositus
    That place you go to when the world becomes too much? I'm in the world. I'm why it's too much.

I too would like to know how in the world you got the AI to give up a hostage.

I've never seen it happen.
    "Rajadharma! The Duty of Kings. Know you: Kingship is a Trust. The King is the most exalted and conscientious servant of the people."

Quote Originally Posted by dbgager View Post
    Still very new to the game. I am in negotiation with the Chokosabe clan for a trade agreement. They have officially blew my mind. They actuallly offered one of there family Chokosabe Motochila as a hostage in negotiation. That does not seem like something a clan would do. Is that historically accurate.
    I'm assuming you only offered trade and not an alliance, so my guess is no one wanted to trade with them so they'd do anything to get a trade agreement. This is particularly true for Choso because they seem to have problems finding trade partners when you play them. Still, it seems there are some differences in clans' willingness to trade, and I've even seen poor clans refuse trade agreements before.

As for historical accuracy, yes, hostages were common among Japanese clans seeking to secure alliances. However, the hostages were treated well and were considered more like guests in the host clan. When Tokugawa Ieyasu himself was a hostage in the Imagawa clan, he was even given an education fitting someone of noble birth.

I've never gotten a clan to hand over a hostage either. They'll beg for peace when they're weak, but if you demand a hostage as insurance, suddenly their willingness goes from high to low. I'm not sure why you can only offer children.

That's a rare event. I've never gotten a hostage from an AI clan. I'm usually the one offering money or hostages though.

It sounds like what fws2468 was saying. Chosokabe have problems negotiating trade agreements and they were desperate.

Oh and do you mean Motochika?

Actually it was kind of strange. First I offered them a trade agreement for a trade agreement. Then they counter offered a trade agreement for a trade agreement and a payment of 640. Well I did not like that offer. So I offered back a trade agreement and a payment of 250. That is when the Chokosabe clan offered a trade agreement and a hostage for a trade agreement and a payment of 640. So they basically wanted to offer up a member of the family as a hostage for a payment of 640. Seems like the money was what was important to them.

I am getting rare events in my very first game.....Yikes.
    Last edited by dbgager; February 28, 2012 at 05:33 PM.