Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 170

Thread: Shall We Boycott the FotS Pre-Order Packages?

  1. #1
    Tribunus
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    10,181
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0

    Default Shall We Boycott the FotS Pre-Order Packages?

    CA/Sega are offering exclusive factions for pre-orders of Fall of the Samurai, as seen here:

    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=516142

    Now in principle I have nothing against extra content for pre-orders -- although I believe that this extra content should NOT be game content, as for example the content Bethesda offered with the SKYRIM collector's edition. When the extra content consists of game content, this means the game is being reduced for those who don't pre-order.

    Can you imagine the uproar if Bethesda had reserved, say, the Khajiit race for those who pre-ordered the game? The uproar would have been heard round the world.

    Even worse than simply offering extra content to those who pre-order (which is to say, subtracting content from those who do not pre-order), also consider that:

    - This is an expansion, not a full game.
    - The content is split between 3 different packages, which means nobody wins, everybody loses. No matter how much money you throw at Sega, you will NOT get the complete FotS expansion.

    Most of us -- if not all of us -- are excited about this expansion, and will buy it on day one. Sega does not need to threaten us to get our money. But that's what they're doing. They're threatening to take a portion of the game away if you don't fork over your money now. In fact, by splitting the content across different packages, they're ensuring that you won't get the complete expansion, and that a few months down the road, they'll dangle the "extra" factions in front of you to get more of your money.

    This is not right.

    I hate to do this, but I think we, the hard core fans, should stand up right now, and say we don't accept this. We love the game, we love the company, we can't wait to give you our money... but we don't believe Sega should remove developed content from this game so they can grab a few more dollars. It is simply not how you treat your fans.

    So I, for one, will not be pre-ordering FotS. I was actually going to, but now that it's turned into a blatant money-grab, I will not.

    As far as I'm concerned, these "extra" factions do not exist.

    I ask you, the true fans of Total War, to join me. Let's buy FotS on release day, and not a day earlier.
    Last edited by cherryfunk; January 16, 2012 at 10:15 PM.



  2. #2
    Akaie's Avatar Sangi Ukon'e no Chūjō
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    3,255
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0

    Default Re: Shall We Boycott the FotS Pre-Order Packages?

    I'm still torn between supporting CA and rejecting SEGA.

    Employees like Craig who I believe tries his hardest to get every one of our complains and praises represented are a big drawing point for me to want to support them. I wouldn't think as much of CA if TWC did not have his PR work. Hell, him being here in the first place is beyond what I'd generally expect from companies.

    But then! We have rubbish like 1/3 of the playable factions as not only DLC but pre-order incentives. SEGA owning CA does not make it easy for me to support CA whilst putting the economic middle-finger up at SEGA.
    Last edited by Akaie; January 16, 2012 at 10:20 PM.

    The S2 Onin War Mod | Boshin: Total Domains
    Patron of Erwin Rommel
    Under the proud patronage of Radious


  3. #3
    Frei's Avatar Signifer
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    237
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0

    Default Re: Shall We Boycott the FotS Pre-Order Packages?

    You can if you want. Most people won't, though, and it won't matter what you do. You're taking a stand on principle over a video game.

    Also, there is no right and wrong here.

  4. #4
    Tribunus
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    10,181
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0

    Default Re: Shall We Boycott the FotS Pre-Order Packages?

    There is always a right and a wrong.



  5. #5
    Akaie's Avatar Sangi Ukon'e no Chūjō
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    3,255
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0

    Default Re: Shall We Boycott the FotS Pre-Order Packages?

    Sadly, Frei's comment rings true. The clan dlc trial was successful, and it is here to stay.

    Any appeal made here will only be supported by a minority of a minority.

    The S2 Onin War Mod | Boshin: Total Domains
    Patron of Erwin Rommel
    Under the proud patronage of Radious


  6. #6
    Chevalier IX's Avatar Sagittarius
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    United States,Oregon
    Posts
    3,230
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0

    Default Re: Shall We Boycott the FotS Pre-Order Packages?

    This is not something new...ca has done this before with napoleon amd empire...dont see the issue here unless of course itvis a case of running out of rant threads amd the need to get the rabble riled up again.as well this also has a lot to do with the sistributors and retialers themselvesvasking for exclusive contnet to draw the consumer to them.this will happen alot more as various retailers want to give the consumer a reason to buy from them.for example i am consciously deciding to order from steam instead of another source because i like their clan better
    Simple business that will only increase.it is called retail competition.and with everyone from wal mart to 7eleven selling games now it is more important than ever to differentiate yourself in such ways....in fact as paradox pointed out the retail arm of the business has far more control and say over how things go down than you might possibly think and as a formed manager for a national game store chain i have been at the meetings where pre order incentives wee discussed and of course the retail arm wants something to make the consumer g ot othem vs the shop down the road.
    Last edited by Chevalier IX; January 16, 2012 at 10:52 PM.

  7. #7
    Chevalier IX's Avatar Sagittarius
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    United States,Oregon
    Posts
    3,230
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0

    Default Re: Shall We Boycott the FotS Pre-Order Packages?

    Quote Originally Posted by Anton III View Post
    I'm still torn between supporting CA and rejecting SEGA.

    Employees like Craig who I believe tries his hardest to get every one of our complains and praises represented are a big drawing point for me to want to support them. I wouldn't think as much of CA if TWC did not have his PR work. Hell, him being here in the first place is beyond what I'd generally expect from companies.

    But then! We have rubbish like 1/3 of the playable factions as not only DLC but pre-order incentives. SEGA owning CA does not make it easy for me to support CA whilst putting the economic middle-finger up at SEGA.









    I trust it is recognised that this actually has more t od owith retailer incentive strategies right...
    Last edited by Radzeer; January 17, 2012 at 09:42 AM. Reason: quote fixed

  8. #8
    Graphic's Avatar Pili Posterior
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Gardnerville, Nevada
    Posts
    2,902
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0

    Default Re: Shall We Boycott the FotS Pre-Order Packages?

    Quote Originally Posted by cherryfunk View Post
    CA/Sega are offering exclusive factions for pre-orders of Fall of the Samurai, as seen here:

    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=516142

    Now in principle I have nothing against extra content for pre-orders -- although I believe that this extra content should NOT be game content, as for example the content Bethesda offered with the SKYRIM collector's edition. When the extra content consists of game content, this means the game is being reduced for those who don't pre-order.

    Can you imagine the uproar if Bethesda had reserved, say, the Khajiit race for those who pre-ordered the game? The uproar would have been heard round the world.

    Even worse than simply offering extra content to those who pre-order (which is to say, subtracting content from those who do not pre-order), also consider that:

    - This is an expansion, not a full game.
    - The content is split between 3 different packages, which means nobody wins, everybody loses. No matter how much money you throw at Sega, you will NOT get the complete FotS expansion.

    Most of us -- if not all of us -- are excited about this expansion, and will buy it on day one. Sega does not need to threaten us to get our money. But that's what they're doing. They're threatening to take a portion of the game away if you don't fork over your money now. In fact, by splitting the content across different packages, they're ensuring that you won't get the complete expansion, and that a few months down the road, they'll dangle the "extra" factions in front of you to get more of your money.

    This is not right.

    I hate to do this, but I think we, the hard core fans, should stand up right now, and say we don't accept this. We love the game, we love the company, we can't wait to give you our money... but we don't believe Sega should remove developed content from this game so they can grab a few more dollars. It is simply not how you treat your fans.

    So I, for one, will not be pre-ordering FotS. I was actually going to, but now that it's turned into a blatant money-grab, I will not.

    As far as I'm concerned, these "extra" factions do not exist.

    I ask you, the true fans of Total War, to join me. Let's buy FotS on release day, and not a day earlier.
    This post reads like an Onion parody of Total War Center.
    .

  9. #9
    Captain Arrrgh!'s Avatar I'z in yer grass
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Skull Island
    Posts
    6,429
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0

    Default Re: Shall We Boycott the FotS Pre-Order Packages?

    I'm in complete concord with Cherry about this. I will not be preordering FotS. I've got enough gaming on my plate anyway. The irony is that I would have supported CA with FotS had there been preorder content in one form. Bah, totally not worth it now.

  10. #10
    Akaie's Avatar Sangi Ukon'e no Chūjō
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    3,255
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0

    Default Re: Shall We Boycott the FotS Pre-Order Packages?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chevalier IX View Post
    I trust it is recognised that this actually has more t od owith retailer incentive strategies right...
    Most certainly. I did not bear the same attitude with the Hattori. It was one campaign, the justification was that they had a small team putting that bonus together, and as much as I didn't care for unlocked clans, they didn't just sell clan access (moreso with the Ikko-ikki).

    But here we are talking about 1/3 of the total set of playable factions. If it were one, then sure. I wouldn't care too much for it, but I wouldn't say no.

    The S2 Onin War Mod | Boshin: Total Domains
    Patron of Erwin Rommel
    Under the proud patronage of Radious


  11. #11
    Stryker's Avatar Tiro
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    67
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0

    Default Re: Shall We Boycott the FotS Pre-Order Packages?

    I agree, i miss the days when a simple datastrat file change unlocked all the factions, now, i have to pre-order, and buy extra content months later to not even have half. Really pathetic on CA and Sega, whether they want to or not, they did it and I for one do not like it.

  12. #12
    Kirā
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    221
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0

    Default Re: Shall We Boycott the FotS Pre-Order Packages?

    Boycott probably won't damage CA enough to hurt their wallets. If you guys want to make a difference, I would suggest giving 1 star ratings for user submitted reviews on sites like Amazon, Gamespot, etc. Even if all of TWC doesn't buy FotS, it probably won't dent them, but if even 5 of us rate their game a 1-star on Amazon, it can deter a lot more people from buying.

  13. #13
    Frei's Avatar Signifer
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    237
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0

    Default Re: Shall We Boycott the FotS Pre-Order Packages?

    Quote Originally Posted by cherryfunk View Post
    There is always a right and a wrong.
    I'm sorry, but this is just objectively wrong. We don't live in a black and white world.

    I'm not saying I even like the new DLC era. I feel it has ups and downs. I also feel that good developers who have traditionally supported modding and etc are being pressured by their publishers to do DLC incentives, pre-order bonuses, etc. CA, as a developer, has been very good to the community over the years. Boycotting (still can't believe boycotting a video game is a discussion I'm having) a game they make is a silly and thoughtless idea, as the DLC issue has very little to do with them. They have to do it to keep pace in a changing market, and they will likely always have to as long as they are owned by a big publisher. There are much better ways to make a difference if this is a big issue in your life.

    edit: PharaohsVizier's "idea" is even worse, but false game ratings are the norm on the internet with sites like reddit and 4chan getting people to rate games low even if they haven't played them. Also, this would hurt CA more than it would Sega. Compare CA to most mainstream game companies, they have communicated with us more and tried to give us more in regards to modding even though the current industry trend is to move away from that.
    Last edited by Frei; January 16, 2012 at 11:56 PM.

  14. #14
    Raimeken's Avatar Princeps Prior
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    The United States of Americaland
    Posts
    1,412
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0

    Default Re: Shall We Boycott the FotS Pre-Order Packages?

    Whats even more infuriating is that even if you DO preorder, you're still 2/3 clans down. And unless there is a change in policy, Total War games use Steam regardless of it being retail or downloaded, so you never get the three of them anyway until CA charges you 5 bucks for it. At this point, probably the only reason why I would even think of buying this game is the hope that the engine has been optimized so people can actually...like run it on more than 1.5 cores

  15. #15
    leeho730's Avatar Chugen
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2,127
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0

    Default Re: Shall We Boycott the FotS Pre-Order Packages?

    Nah, wait for 75% steam sale. Speak with your wallet.
    I've got too many games at the moment, not to mention I've got other things to worry about in life.

    Anyway it's interesting that steam users get pre-order bonus... They were slapped when SEGA, on their infinite wisdom, decided not to release LE for steam...

  16. #16
    Kirā
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    221
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0

    Default Re: Shall We Boycott the FotS Pre-Order Packages?

    Quote Originally Posted by Frei View Post
    edit: PharaohsVizier's "idea" is even worse, but false game ratings are the norm on the internet with sites like reddit and 4chan getting people to rate games low even if they haven't played them. Also, this would hurt CA more than it would Sega. Compare CA to most mainstream game companies, they have communicated with us more and tried to give us more in regards to modding even though the current industry trend is to move away from that.
    While I don't like giving false reviews either a boycott won't do anything while low reviews do hurt. I love CA, I love their games, but in the end I don't like where they are going and if they need a crippling failure to do something about it, then eventually that's what they'll get. I know where you are coming from, CA has certainly communicated more than your average developer, but I really don't need several people sugar-coating every poor decision they make (and the herd of sheep on TWC that go along with it) and pretending that everything is just fine. What matters is what they deliver, and 3 separate clans scrapped from the actual game and probably put back on the shelf at a later date is something I think we all universally disapprove of.

  17. #17
    Shisai
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    436
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0

    Default Re: Shall We Boycott the FotS Pre-Order Packages?

    boycott the company. total war shogun sucks anyway.

  18. #18
    Frei's Avatar Signifer
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    237
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0

    Default Re: Shall We Boycott the FotS Pre-Order Packages?

    Quote Originally Posted by PharaohsVizier View Post
    While I don't like giving false reviews either a boycott won't do anything while low reviews do hurt. I love CA, I love their games, but in the end I don't like where they are going and if they need a crippling failure to do something about it, then eventually that's what they'll get. I know where you are coming from, CA has certainly communicated more than your average developer, but I really don't need several people sugar-coating every poor decision they make (and the herd of sheep on TWC that go along with it) and pretending that everything is just fine. What matters is what they deliver, and 3 separate clans scrapped from the actual game and probably put back on the shelf at a later date is something I think we all universally disapprove of.
    At this point, the herd of sheep would be the people going for blatant negativity and outright lying and sabotage instead of people being vocal about liking a game. I think I'm the only one in this thread so far who has thought anything out before I started complaining and making emoticons that expressed just how disgruntled I am.

    I also haven't sugar-coated anything, I have freely said I don't disagree with what they're doing, but I can see how the game industry is right now and that it is not CA with the real fault here. It's not ideal, but there are better ways to deal with it.

    Also, if you think a few people from a message board downvoting the game will "cripple" them then I am not sure what to say to you. As I said, people from HUGE websites will do this to game developers over the slightest perceived "slap in the face" but it won't do anything at all in the long run. Websites have even begun adopting policy to remove obvious attempts at "rating sabotage" so yeah, there's that.

    They will have a crippling failure when they make an actual bad video game that is received as fairly universally bad, by critics and users.

  19. #19
    agnes69's Avatar Aquilifer
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    371
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0

    Default Re: Shall We Boycott the FotS Pre-Order Packages?

    What are the familiar songs, I heard them many times before. Here are just a sense of calling for a boycott of both was not so and never will.
    MB: ASUS Sabertooth X79 s2011 Core i7, Intel X79
    CPU: Core i7 3820 3.6Ghz s2011 (OC 4.6Ghz)
    COOLER: Noctua NH-D14 SE2011
    MEM: DDR3 2133Mhz 8x4GB G.Skill Ares Quad Channel(32GB)
    VGA: Zotac GTX 780 3GB
    CASE: Sharkoon Scorpio 2000 Black ATX Case
    HDD: Seagate Barracuda ST3000DM001 3TB 7200RPM 64MB Sata III
    PS: SeaSonic 1000W Platinum-Series Active PFC
    Monitor: AOC LED I2757FM 27'' 1920х1080

  20. #20
    Kirā
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    221
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0

    Default Re: Shall We Boycott the FotS Pre-Order Packages?

    I think you are misrepresenting my post there. I don't mean to say you are sugar coating anything, I'm saying that the fantastic communication you were praising is merely a couple of CA members trying to cover their bad decisions. I cannot believe they managed to get people here to think that the blood pack is not a blatant cash grab.

    Similarly with the crippling failure, I was alluding to the fact that CA has been in a downward spiral and that at this rate they'll actually make the terrible game that you were thinking. If they keep cutting parts of the game out, it only makes sense that it will happen.

    I also disagree with how you think a few negative reviews won't do anything. I don't think it'll cripple them, I think it'll deter enough users to make an actual dent. Do you know how many people buy games on a whim now? CA doesn't cater to their fans anymore, they realize they make more money by marking down the game for a quick grab every now and then from a sale at various digital distributors. Sure there will always be those of us who will go to gamespot, but a lot will just be looking briefly at the reviews below. If we decide to rate Fall of the Samurai low at places like Gamersgate, Greenmangaming, Amazon, etc, it'll probably affect them more than a boycott would.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •