Thread: Blood and Gold

Tazgrent's Avatar Ducenarius

Default Blood and Gold

Tiberius makes his way to the rostra to give a speech. "Hail, good Romans!" There is a smattering of responses, but a fair number of catcalls and insults as well. "I see you have come to the Forum today to do business and trade! Well, I regret to inform you that it will no longer take place. There is a dull roar as people start muttering and speaking to each other, and a few indignant cries. "No, indeed! For this is no longer a place where good and honest Roman citizens as yourselves come to do rightful commerce. Now this place is where blood stained gold is traded for Roman honor! Where the very voices of the people subvert and abuse the loyalty and trust you have placed in them. I speak, of course, of the Tribune, who this very night attempted to trade his ill-gotten gold for favors from my good friend, and a friend of the people, the magnanimous Senator Tuscus. Not only gold, but a sword as well, the tool of a general and conqueror. By what right does he presume to stain Roman honor with bribes!? It is an indignity and an insult to the very thing which makes the Republic strong, its blood and its soul, you, the beloved people. What an affront it is that one who is supposed to be your voice, your hand, your defender should besmirch that holy task with greed! I myself hesitated to believe it, for I had always believed Diocletianus to be a Roman of true honor. I only relented when my good friend Tuscus, of whom only the gods I trust more, described to me the treachery of Diocletianus. I was naturally shocked to discover such a scandal, but I knew that it was my duty as both a Plebeian and a Roman to ensure that the truth would not be suppressed. We are the Senate and People of Rome, and we would be nothing without the wisdom of the former, and the strength of the latter. I pray that Dicoletianus realizes he has gravely injured both and that he returns to his sacred duty of upholding the laws of Rome and protecting its People, lest the gods above see how their holy laws have been violated and send some horrific punishment our way. So remember, Romans, when your Tribune next proclaims his sense of duty, or his dignitas, keep in mind that his words are stained with blood and gold!"
    Last edited by Tazgrent; January 16, 2012 at 06:52 PM. Reason: grammar

CK23's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Blood and Gold

Diocletianus was at his home when a Plebeian ran from the market to notify him that his name was being slandered by the false Plebeian Cotta. Diocletian smiled and immediately rode his horse at haste towards the Rostra, Cotta had shown his ignorance and now Diocletian was going to exploit it. It took Diocletian only a few minutes to get to the Rostra where Cotta had just finished, as he strolled up Cotta had just finished. Diocletian chuckled as he slowed his horse and slid off the side handing the reigns to the Plebeian who had warned him. "People of Rome!" Diocletian diverted the attention of the People to him as he himself walked to the Rostra. "Senator Cotta here has informed you of something that is quite true, I have indeed given Senator Tuscus gold, a close friend of mine informed me that the Senator had fallen on hard times and I attempted to reward him for his efforts within the Republic!" Diocletian youthfully strode up the stairs to the Rostra as he spoke. "However, I come to inform you of a graver problem that we face more than gambling debts which our Praetor has fallen upon! Senator Cotta would have you believe that he is a Plebeian!" Diocletian laughed and one of his Plebeian employees chuckled.

Diocletian paused and took the Rostra next to his "Plebeian" rival. "Senator Cotta lives in immense wealth while those of you are destitute, I admit I live a well and my door it open to every single one of you at any time...many of you have taken me up on that offer and for that I wish no thanks. I respect a great many member of the Aurelii but the Aurelii Cotta namely Tiberius is a scourge upon the people of Rome! He would have you believe that he is with you when in the Curia he aligns himself with Patricians who wish to place you on the same level as slaves!" Diocletian paused again and a few cheered for him. "Tiberius does not interact with what he considers the "scum" of the Plebeians! The pretender of a Plebeian has even attempted to curry favor with Patrician families so he can get his own family elevated above what believes is dirt! what he believes is the very problem of Rome! What does he know? Nothing! During his military service he was in the company of Patrician officers and did not fight alongside the common man! Tiberius Aurelius Cotta is a scourge upon the Plebeians and his very name should be stripped from the respected members of the Plebeian Council for the dog and lying aristocrat that he is!" Diocletian knew that either infuriate Cotta or render him speechless.
    Rabble rousing, Pleb Commander CK23

Tazgrent's Avatar Ducenarius

Cotta visibly shudders with anger. He quickly grabs the arm of a nearby slave, whispers in his ear, and shoves him on his way. He turns once more to the crowd, shouts, "Oh, his door is always open!? It is good to see that the Tribune at least follows ONE sacred duty!"
    Cotta turns and storms off from the Rostra.

Quintus walked up to Faustus, "Well handled, Tiberius is very fiery about his origins."

CK23's Avatar Campidoctor

Diocletian smiled and turned back towards the crowd. "My case is rested." Diocletian had begun to walk down the stairs as he was approached by Senator Quintus. "Indeed he is, something troubles him. He does not believe that he is a Plebeian he believes that he is a Patrician who has been mistaken for a Plebeian." Diocletian smiled and patted the upper arm of Quintus. "I must be going because I have a meeting with another Senator but visit me at my Domus sometime, I'd love to have you." Diocletian smiled and moved past Quintus.
    Rabble rousing, Pleb Commander CK23

"Goodbye