Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can a soul be destroyed? What is the purpose of an eternal hell?

Default Re: Can a soul be destroyed? What is the purpose of an eternal hell?

Quote Originally Posted by basics View Post
    " Wait a minute. Wasn't the idea of fire and brimstone first propogated by Dante in his Divine Comedy, whereas earlier ideas of Hell was just absolute nothingness?"

Hax,

Not quite since it is written that these substances fell on Sodom and Gomorrah. As for Hell, well Jesus gave a good description of what that is like when He related the rich man and the poor man at their deaths. Nothing about fire and brimstone is mentioned. Hell is no more than a holding place for unbelievers until the day of judgement yet still it appears a place that in itself is a little more than uncomfortable but not as uncomfortable as the final destination will be.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Revelation 14:10: The same shall drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out without mixture into the cup of his indignation; and he shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels, and in the presence of the Lamb:

So tell me will I be tortured by Jesus and angels or will they just sit and watch?
    "When I die, I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like Fidel Castro, not screaming in terror, like his victims."

My shameful truth.

Heinz Guderian's Avatar *takes off trousers

Quote Originally Posted by hellheaven1987 View Post
    I wonder what give God rights to send people hell or heaven - or even better, what right God has to judge others?
    I think if God offered an "opt-out" option to every soul then it would be much fairer to judge them and send them to hell. He would say "do you want a shot at eternal happiness there young whippersnapper?" and i would say "that sounds pretty cool, how do i get that? can i have that now?" and He would say "not yet, you have to have a test life on Earth, and if you're good, you got as much happiness, safety and strange ass as you can eat" and i would say "and what if i am not that good, like if i fail this exam thingy, also how and why would you eat ass?" and He would say "then you go to Hell forever and get large men penetrating you night and day - but i know what you are thinking, they penetrate you not in a good way" and i would say "erm..that doesnt sound that bad" and He would say "no, its defo pretty bad, trust me" and i would say "ok, i'll give it a pass" and then He would annihilate me.

But then again, maybe my soul already agreed to this contract and i just dont remember it? Furthermore, maybe i dont remember it cos it never happened because God doesnt exist?

Indefinitely Banned

/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/

Souls are made up.

And apparently so is hell.

But made-up-heaven wouldn't work for haters without made-up-hell.

Quote Originally Posted by basics View Post
    " basics denying the omnipotence of god again in favor of a book of fairy tales. Such an unfortunate contradiction."

Pontifex Maximus,

Because I said that there is no Biblical record of a soul being destroyed does not alter any properties that God has and why should it? The reason that souls do not die in the case of humanity, is because every knee shall bow and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord. Now if these confessors were vapourised at the separation of body and soul in death that could not happen and would destroy the purposes of God and His Saviour. Do you get the point?
    Yeah, I get the point. Sycophancy for some cosmic reward.

How can hell be eternal, when mathematically infinity cannot exist as a number? I mean assuming it did exist it is still nonsensical; you goes to hell as punishment for immorality in your life, your life is finite and hell is eternal, therefore you just spend eternity in hell for something you did in nothingness because hell goes on forever therefore no number can be a percentage of it. Complete ing nonsense.
    So spake the Fiend, and with necessity,
    The tyrant's plea, excused his devilish deeds.
    -Paradise Lost 4:393-394

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12