Thread: Intelligence destroys itself ~ in a sense…

Default Intelligence destroys itself ~ in a sense…

Intelligence destroys itself ~ in a sense…

or at least it can do [I hope it doesnt and think its a bridge we must cross]

Why don’t we receive signals from extra territory intelligence, perhaps intelligence always reaches a point where it endangers its environment, and someone will always utilise an advantage. Or someone will nock up a deadly pathogen in their garage and it will accidentally escape.

Pythagorean cults kept some of their teaching secret, due to an apparent danger in disclosing higher knowledge. shouldn’t we be doing the same!

The other night I watched the TV show; ‘horizon; playing god’. on it they showed a lab-farm which produced spider-goats, apparently normal goats but their DNA had been altered and given silk spider genes which are stronger than Kevlar ~ in its milk [the proteins of]!
    Then they went to a community hall in California, where a group of children and adults composed a luminous bacterium, the same thing that had won some guy a Nobel prize only in 20008.

You can get code on the net you know!

With all this freedom isn’t it only a mater of time before it is used?

Forget a nuclear Iran and N. Korea, who cares about nukes when you can potentially [in the near future] nock up a programmed pathogen and trigger [to be released when required] in your garage, or an artificial life-form which devours every living thing.

Its ok, we’ll make it through and disease and old age will be a thing of the past, …one way or another!

I just thought I’d post this because its all moving at an incredible rate and within just the last few years, I find it exciting but equally frightening.
    _
    Formerly quetzalcoatl. Proud leader of STW3 and member of the RTR, FATW and QNS teams.

Default Re: Intelligence destroys itself ~ in a sense…

No disease will wipe out as prolific a species as humans. Even heavy casualties would only be in the tens of millions.

If you're looking for the answer to the Fermi paradox, it's quite simple. We don't have technology advanced enough to detect ourselves from further than 0.3 lightyears away. How can we expect to detect probably more energy efficient aliens from thousands of lightyears away? We are not listening properly, and haven't been listening long enough.

No disease will wipe out as prolific a species as humans. Even heavy casualties would only be in the tens of millions.
    The plague wiped out ¼ of Europe’s population I do believe, and an adaptable version or say 10 viruses deployed could wipe us all out. Equally an artificial life-form could just eat everything or poison the earth/air, we just don’t know what’s possible yet.
    All I am saying is that we need to be very careful with things that contain such potential power.

If you're looking for the answer to the Fermi paradox, it's quite simple. We don't have technology advanced enough to detect ourselves from further than 0.3 lightyears away. How can we expect to detect probably more energy efficient aliens from thousands of lightyears away? We are not listening properly, and haven't been listening long enough.
    Interesting info - thanks for that. Another reason maybe that technology will probably advance beyond radio waves etc, hence there’s only a tiny window.
    Formerly quetzalcoatl. Proud leader of STW3 and member of the RTR, FATW and QNS teams.

I think we're more likely to destroy ourselves than succumb to natural disaster.

Already so many people spend so long playing computer games. Fiction has been popular since we could communicate. We like to escape from our current reality into others. We are always willing to suspend our disbelief.

Now look several centuries into the future. Someone develops a brilliant simulator that simply responds to any desire. It would fulfill every human emotional need. You can have whatever life you want. You can have the hottest women in history. You can be the well-respected leader of whatever you want to be. You can meet all the most interesting people who ever lived, and infinitely more who dind't. When you're bored you can go back in time and watch historic battles, or become a Jedi, or make people do crazy things for your entertainment. You're living in a world that responds to your thoughts, and there are no consequences to your actions.

Why would we bother reproducing?
    Last edited by removeduser_4536284751384; January 21, 2012 at 02:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by irelandeb View Post
    I think we're more likely to destroy ourselves than succumb to natural disaster.

Already so many people spend so long playing computer games. Fiction has been popular since we could communicate. We like to escape from our current reality into others. We are always willing to suspend our disbelief.

Now look several centuries into the future. Someone develops a brilliant simulator that simply responds to any desire. It would fulfill every human emotional need. You can have whatever life you want. You can have the hottest women in history. You can be the well-respected leader of whatever you want to be. You can meet all the most interesting people who ever lived, and infinitely more who dind't. When you're bored you can go back in time and watch historic battles, or become a Jedi, or make people do crazy things for your entertainment. You're living in a world that responds to your thoughts, and there are no consequences to your actions.

Why would we bother reproducing?
    Or maybe we can do that with the physical universe and reproduce! Just a thought

Quote Originally Posted by Quetzalcoatl View Post

Why don’t we receive signals from extra territory intelligence, perhaps intelligence always reaches a point where it endangers its environment, and someone will always utilise an advantage. Or someone will nock up a deadly pathogen in their garage and it will accidentally escape.
    I'm not sure you really have any understanding how little the ability a society has to destroy itself has to do with receiving a signal from it. They can send a signal, then they can go extinct, whatever the cause. Where's the signal? Still traveling through space.

The problem with your argument is the fact that we've discovered a number of planets capable of supporting life that we can count on one hand. The closest one is 600 light years away, to give you an idea of the sheer distance. Not only will it take 600 years for the signal to reach us, but they actually have to coincidentally send it in our direction.

Destruction of the society has absolutely nothing to do with the long odds. So don't add variables where there aren't any.

Which really makes the rest of that post moot.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Lord of Lost Socks's Avatar Primicerius

I meant to say that. Dammit.

He's right, though. The universe is HUGE. There's no guarantee there's intelligent life anywhere near us. That means that the signal can take a million years or more to reach us from their point of view. It's really quite vast.

“The human eye is a wonderful device. With a little effort, it can fail to see even the most glaring injustice.”

I just used that to show that intelligent life-forms may inevitably end up destroying themselves I.e. we all get to a point near where we are now then it ends. I suppose you are right about distances, assuming that civilisations run concurrently. Who knows, every other intelligence out there may have occurred a billion years ago.

That was just one point, attempting to make the idea universal or to take it to that level [so we can consider it in any terms ~ any kind of intelligent stream of creation], the other points don’t rely on that at all, what are you on about saying it makes them moot?

Lets make it simple, the question is; does intelligence inevitably destroy itself. [inferred is the idea that we can never completely control everything we invent or create, ideas and know-how get out and can be used by baddies or we can make mistakes etc]
    Last edited by Amorphos; January 22, 2012 at 12:20 PM.

I just used that to show that intelligent life-forms may inevitably end up destroying themselves I.e. we all get to a point near where we are now then it ends. I suppose you are right about distances, assuming that civilisations run concurrently. Who knows, every other intelligence out there may have occurred a billion years ago.

That was just one point, attempting to make the idea universal or to take it to that level [so we can consider it in any terms ~ any kind of intelligent stream of creation], the other points don’t rely on that at all, what are you on about saying it makes them moot?
    It makes it moot because the life or death of a civilization has no bearing on whether we can receive a signal from them. All that matters is that they reached the technological level of radio signals.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidin View Post
    It makes it moot because the life or death of a civilization has no bearing on whether we can receive a signal from them. All that matters is that they reached the technological level of radio signals.
    but we don't have telescopes good enough to detect even the noisiest broadcasts from Earth where they from our nearest extra-solar star.

Sure but the remaining points aren’t based on that first point.

One may perhaps assume that if the statement ‘intelligence destroys itself’ is correct, then it would be correct in all cases. Imagine the level of micro-management you would need to control everyone in a given society for example.

Quote Originally Posted by irelandeb View Post
    but we don't have telescopes good enough to detect even the noisiest broadcasts from Earth where they from our nearest extra-solar star.
    That has no bearing on their abilities to send signals.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Pythagorean cults kept some of their teaching secret, due to an apparent danger in disclosing higher knowledge. shouldn’t we be doing the same!

The other night I watched the TV show; ‘horizon; playing god’. on it they showed a lab-farm which produced spider-goats, apparently normal goats but their DNA had been altered and given silk spider genes which are stronger than Kevlar ~ in its milk [the proteins of]!
    Then they went to a community hall in California, where a group of children and adults composed a luminous bacterium, the same thing that had won some guy a Nobel prize only in 20008.

You can get code on the net you know!

With all this freedom isn’t it only a mater of time before it is used?

Forget a nuclear Iran and N. Korea, who cares about nukes when you can potentially [in the near future] nock up a programmed pathogen and trigger [to be released when required] in your garage, or an artificial life-form which devours every living thing.

Its ok, we’ll make it through and disease and old age will be a thing of the past, …one way or another!

I just thought I’d post this because its all moving at an incredible rate and within just the last few years, I find it exciting but equally frightening.
    _
    Quetz,

No sir, Intelligence won't destroy itself, ever.

It is the selfishness of humans which will destroy both the so-called intelligent and non-intelligent.

Comments?
    hellas1.5

Sir Winston Churchill's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

a lab-farm which produced spider-goats,
    Well I know what I'll be having nightmares of tonight.

Links to any anti-developer or anti-publisher campaigns are not tolerated on these forums. Any such links will be removed and (most probably) the poster of the link banned.... Please be advised that any information uploaded or transmitted by visitors to Sega becomes the property of Sega. Sega reserves the right to... modify... or delete any of this information at any time and for any reason without notice.
    — CA trying to prevent dissent on their forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalminar View Post
    My statements are correct by virtue of me saying them. Additional proof is not required.

Intelligence won't destroy itself. Humans on the other hand...

As irelandb suggested imo it's more likely we make ourself unnecessary.
    "Sebaceans once had a god called Djancaz-Bru. Six worlds prayed to her. They built her temples, conquered planets. And yet one day she rose up and destroyed all six worlds. And when the last warrior was dying, he said, 'We gave you everything, why did you destroy us?' And she looked down upon him and she whispered, 'Because I can.' "
    Mangalore Design

Quote Originally Posted by Mangalore View Post
    Intelligence won't destroy itself. Humans on the other hand...

As irelandb suggested imo it's more likely we make ourself unnecessary.
    I would say this: "We have seen the enemy and the enemy is us"

Selfishness, pride, ambition, etc. have caused the crisis in the world and these things come from us.....
    Pure and Simple. It ain't Bambi & Thumper causing the problems, it's you and me.

hellas1.5.......learning to decrease that Christ would increase...