Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: An Orc in Skyrim - A Skyrim AAR

Default Re: Life In The Stronghold - A Skyrim AAR

6th of Heartfire
    We had an uneventful trip back to the stronghold and by midday meal i was working on some potions and smithing. Arob seemed satisfied with what had happened and felt her son had been avenged. Burguk felt the great hammer from Frofnir Trollsbane was a gift from Malacath and it would be hung in the longhouse in honor of her son. Gorbash's appetite for blood was satiated and I decided to do some afternoon shopping in Markarth. I was short on orc arrows and Gharol did not have any more although she told me she would craft some in my absence.

Ghorza the smith in Markarth did have some arrows and I took those with me. I also sold her some random pieces of armor I had found in my travels. Then I went to the hags cure and bought some more ingredients. My potion supply was adequate but it always helped to have more ingredients. I went to the Understone Keep and spoke to Raerik and he was pleased I had killed the bandit at Four Skulls Overlook. He paid me 300 gold and I was going to give 150 of it to Gorbash for his services.

I bid my leave to the steward and headed out down the road to the Inn at Old Hroladen. The ghost was still there but when I showed him the sword he was grateful and showed me a few moves that might help me in combat. The innkeeper thanked me and told me about another group of bandits that the Jarl had put a bounty on. Coin was always a good thing.

I headed down a small path toward Rebels Cairn where Red Eagle rested. However i came upon a tragic scene. A wolf had killed two people that seemed to be camping. Upon further inspection and reading a journal apparently the couple was escaping their parents and wanted to be together. I took what was valuable and left. I decided I would tell the innkeeper about this later so that people could at least know what happened to their children.

I pressed on to Rebels Cairn but it was getting dark. I was determined to do this. I came upon a small settlement where a miner and a guard were standing guard outside of a mine. The man named Perth told me that they had broken into a draugr dungeon while mining and now the place was full of undead. I told him that If I got back before the Jarl sent men to clear it out I would check it out and do what I could. The man seemed to have coin so perhaps I could get paid.

At last I reached my destination. I found a great room and put Red Eagle's sword into the weapon slot and a great stone door revealed itself to me. It opened and I tentatively entered the crypt. As if they knew warm flesh had entered their resting place severeal skeletons and another impressive one arose. I had the advantage of shadow and put down the skeletons with my bow. Red Eagle's skeleton seemed clueless until i put an arrow into him. He ran toward me and used some sort of shout on me that made me recoil. Fortunately my maces were already whirling into his flesh and he recoiled as well. He struck me with his sword that set my fur bracer on my right arm ablaze. I sensed I was in over my head.
    But suddenly something happened. I felt a strength well up in me and I had a new focus. I attacked with renewed speed and strength and did not seem to feel the pain of his attack. As quick as it had started it was over. I found some good items in the crypt and harvested some mushrooms on my way out.

I made it back to the Old Hrolden in and was exhausted. Not before seeing a gorgeous display of colors in the night sky. I told the innkeeper about the tragedy in the camp up the path from the inn and she said she would do something to honor their deaths. It was the least she could do.

Quote Originally Posted by Latin Knight View Post
    Wow, that's amazing!

I've had the opportunity of reading some of your other works, and the quality of this one is on par with the others . I find it funny how i've been to almost all those places and you now craft a storyline using them.

Unfortunately for me, i've never had the patience to play as a more hunter-archer oriented character, i always elect to play as a mage/spellwarrior or a berserker (yeah, creative, i know).

Do you actually play in third person or are just using it to take pictures? I always imagined first-person view was more suited to archery.
    Thank you so much for following you are too kind. I haven't even really touched magic yet. I had one character that was using a shield and a war axe but that actually got boring. I like to mix it up with archery and melee although my archery is lagging behind my melee skill. I play mostly in third person and then when i find a target i hit the F key which takes me to first person. I like to switch back and forth. I will have another update tonight I hope. I also hope people are following this. Its alot of work writing and editing all these screenshots. Might be nice to hear from a few Lurkers to give me some feedback

7th of Heartfire
    I woke up and realized I had forget to get the sword back from the slot in Red Eagle's Tomb. Well low and behold the sword had changed. It now was much stronger. I called it Red Eagle's Bane.

I left the tomb and went back to Markarth to sell some loot I had retrieved from several areas. I went into the shopkeeper's store right inside the main gate and I recognized the owner as one of the people from Nimaras feast. She told me not to speak of it. Instead she asked me for a favor. Apparently some forsworn had taken a prized statuette of Dibella and it was worth quite the sum. She promised to compensate me for my expenses. I told her I would see what I could do.

On my way back I stopped and read a note I had looted off of a treasure hunter that had met his match and it was going on about some sword that he was close to finding. Well at least it would maybe bring some coin but tangling with giants didnt appeal to me. I got back to the stronghold and decided to go ahead and tan the hides I had bought from the Kajiit. After a fairly uneventful day i decided I was going to head back towards the plain of Whiterun and do some more hunting. Being around all these people was getting annoying.

Darkan's Avatar Senator

Quite a sword collection you have there. Just so you know, it would be nice to see Grodash tackle a giant, though maybe later, yes?
    must spread rep
    [DLV 6.2 AAR] - The Danish House of Hen - updated 20/08/18 - on hold
    [King of Dragon Pass AAR] - The Drakkar Saga - updated 14/04/18 - on hold
    Participate in the TotW!!! PARTICIPATE!!!
    DuckDuckGo

I hope you will be able to carry all those weapons, and not end up like me, having to drop a few of them feels bad.

As always, these were good updates!

Ps.: The last picture looks awesome.

8th and 9th of Heartfire
    I was anxious to get going and do some hunting. I felt, and my enemies seemed to feel it, that my skill with a bow was improving. I still had a way to go but I figured I would spend the next few days bagging some skins and meat for the stronghold. Where else to do this but on the plains of whiterun. In the next few days I would have my most successful trip yet on the plains. I proceeded to the main road and cut up through the gap that led to the plains. It was foggy but still beautiful. It was particulary cold this day and I was glad I had put extra insulation on my armor. I found some of my favorite hunting spots and did quite well. I was able to take down all the various ungulates with essentially one shot from the improved orc arrows. I spent the afternoon sneaking around the plain bagging elk and deer.

I did have some peculiar situations. A terrified woman came up to me saying she had been attacked by a vampire and feared she had contracted polyphoric hemophelia. I only had one cure disease potion and I needed that for myself. She then ran away looking for a priest.

Another man saw me and he was crouched over a fallen Breton. The cause of his death is not known but this man seemed to recognize me as the champion of Namira. He invited me to eat and I did. I was getting used to human flesh and each time I felt more alive after consuming a hearty meal.

Later in the afternoon i stumbled upon a bandit hideout called Swindler's Rest. A guard outside provoked me and well I have gotten to the point of not turning away when provoked. High on my meal and full of energy i ducked down behind some rocks and put an arrow square in the bandit's chest. she flew back like a rag doll and her sword went flying straight up into the air. Grodash was feeling good today.

I entered the refuge and immediately began plucking out bad guys one by one. Until I came upon a large room. I took one guard out with an arrow. A second was seated at the table. By the time he got up another arrow tossed him back across the table permanently. Three more poured into my location. I brandished my maces and whirled my way into their flesh. In the cramped quarters I could take each bandit on individually. One fell down and the others struggled over his body. In the interim I popped some stamina potions and some health potions. I poisoned my mace and let it bite into my next assailant. I was a focused bloodthirsty warrior with an unrelenting attack and my enemies could not stop the barrage. A second one fell. Then a third one. Finally a mage tried to best me and she ran into a corner. Not good for her.

I looted the main room and then proceeded to a passage that came out where there was a waterfall. I saw the chief at the top of a ledge and let him have an arrow. It got his attention and he came storming down. His weapon glowing as he unleashed into me. I unleashed all the fury of my orc blood. I became enraged. Pain abated. My vision was focused tightly on my target. My muscles filled with blood. My heart raced and my anger was converted into a vicious physical attack that I did not thing I was capable of. My steel maces bit into his limbs. Bit into his armor. And with a final blow caught his skull in a satisfying crunch. He fell into the water and it began to turn crimson. My work was done.

I left the cave and was exhausted. It was night time and I went to bed in my familiar Saber Cat Cave. I slept soundly and then woke up at sunrise ready for more action. I took down more prey and found some more ingredients.

I came to another bandit hideout called Redoran's retreat. I went in and proceeded to march through my enemies. Stealthily i wiped them out one by one. In the last room a competant chieftain did his best to put me down but he did not have a shield and could not effectively block my mace attacks. In two days I had put two bandit camps out of business. Not a bad thing.

I began to feel the weight of my load and headed back to the stronghold. I sold Murbal a huge haul of meat and other items that she could not believe. 17 haunches of venison would last several months. All of this in two days of hunting. I was quite happy especially after my last attempt seemed to fail. I spent the rest of the day alternating between smithing, tanning hides, and making potions. By nightfall I had done quite well. I was better able to make stronger potions from existing ingredients. I had also crafted some superior leather bracers that provided a bit more protection then the fur gauntlets I had before. I was quite content with things and read an interesting book on the true nature of orcs. I am always trying to learn about the people that were closer to becoming my kin then my own family.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkan View Post
    Quite a sword collection you have there. Just so you know, it would be nice to see Grodash tackle a giant, though maybe later, yes?
    must spread rep
    That time will come I hope. I am not sure if I can do it yet. It feels weird not being able to block or bash with a shield. I do alot of damage but I feel so vulnerable. The berserk skill for orcs is pretty amazing. Whenever Grodash gets in a big fight he goes into a frenzy. He did it with the chieftain and he did it with Red Eagle. Essentially he does twice as much damage and takes half as much for a minute.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bean Laden View Post
    I hope you will be able to carry all those weapons, and not end up like me, having to drop a few of them feels bad.

As always, these were good updates!

Ps.: The last picture looks awesome.
    I assume you mean the one of the aurora borealis? Yea I love it when that happens in game. Well I think this guy is going to focus on maces for now. I don't have a storage bin so I have to sell some stuff. Thanks again to the both of you for your continued support I will keep writing if you keep commenting

Of course I will keep commenting, representing the lurkers who read your AAR, but are too lazy to respond to it

An educated orc trying to "barbarise" himself, I like stories like this! It's amazing how there are so many random encounters in Skyrim (the thing with the cannibal guy appearing).

My advice is that you shouldn't take on a giant yet, maybe around level 25 or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bean Laden View Post
    Of course I will keep commenting, representing the lurkers who read your AAR, but are too lazy to respond to it

An educated orc trying to "barbarise" himself, I like stories like this! It's amazing how there are so many random encounters in Skyrim (the thing with the cannibal guy appearing).

My advice is that you shouldn't take on a giant yet, maybe around level 25 or something like that.
    haha fair enough Yes I will not be tackling any giants yet. They will likely tear me to pieces. The random encounters are interesting indeed

10th of Heartfire
    Woke up after a long couple of days of hunting and thought I might help Ghoral the orc in Markarth with that book she wanted for her apprentice. I had tracked the book to a forsworn fort called fort Sunguard. This was no small place. I arrived and tried to find a secret area to enter but no such luck. I guess I was going in the front door. I took out one guard and the camp came to life. I began dodging and weaving the arrows of my enemy and mine were finding their mark more effectively. I had to time when I shot my bow but if I concentrated I could almost predict when my enemy was stationary. My arrows were no longer annoying. They were downright deadly to your average forsworn. After an intial defense the rest of the defenders stayed inside and I stalked my way through the ruins putting down forsworn before they could attack. Soon they were all dead and after a thorough search I found the book.

I headed back to the stronghold and worked on some more smithing. I made some rings from a gold ingot I found in Fort Sunguard. Gharol was impressed. She said my smithing ability had progressed much further then that first day when I walked into the camp wearing rags. She taught me how to further sharpen my steel maces making them even more deadly. I added a new rawhide string to my bow and made it more responsive. I made more potions and then headed out to Markarth.

On the familiar bridge outside of the stronghold three men impersonating the legion tried to get me to pay 100 gold. Grodash has worked hard for his gold and said no. The three men are now dead. A victim of my orc rage. They messed with the wrong orc.

I made it to Markarth and picked up a few things and delivered the book to Ghorza. She seemed appreciative. I then bought a few things at the hags cure and then headed to see Calcemo about some more enchanting. It was still laughable and I couldn't enchant much but I hoped that would change. He told me to bring back magical items and disenchant them.

I found the commander of the legion in Markarth who tried to recruit me for the legion. I told him I had not come of age yet and he seemed to smile. He told me that if my prowess was good in battle age wouldn't be a factor. Besides I looked old enough.

Next door to him was a smith named Moth. He asked me to bring him a daedric heart and in exchange he would craft some armor for me. Sounded like a fair deal. Except Daedric hearts were ridiculously expensive.

When i got back to the Stronghold, Burguk wanted to see me. He told me that he received word from Mor Kazgur that they needed some supplies and wondered if we could help. Having an abundance of meats and other goods, I was to take these supplies to the other stronghold. It was quite the journey and Burguk said if I wanted to stay there and help them out for a while that I was free to do so. I guess I would have to see. Their chief may want me to assist them. I agreed and decided I would head out first thing in the morning.

Darkan's Avatar Senator

Long trip for Grodash. What is his status now in the stronghold? I mean, did he rise through the ranks?
    DuckDuckGo

Long trip for Grodash. What is his status now in the stronghold? I mean, did he rise through the ranks?
    well with the death of Arob's son they are short a hunter so Grodash has been spending more time doing that. To be bloodkin he has to beat Burguk in a brawl. And right now he isn't sure he can do that. Since he is an outsider and not born in the stronghold he has to prove himself in a physical contest of strength.

Darkan's Avatar Senator

Can you post a picture of some kind with his status? Keep it up, I like Grodash´s story a lot.
    DuckDuckGo

11th of Heartfire
    I woke up early and packed up the supplies for Mor Kazgur. I was excited about the trip but I realized I would miss everyone around here. I had grown close to my new family and they seemed to be more accepting all the time. I still wasn't blood kin but each day I helped I gained more favor.

On my way down the trail to the main road I saw three people battling a giant cave bear. It managed to best one of the fighters, he fell to his knees in agony, and I decided to jump in. This bear did not like that I chose to fight it. One whack of its claw and it sent me reeling. I was bleeding and my armor torn asunder. Wow I was glad others were there to help. This bear would have eaten me for breakfast. I took a moment to take more potions and then tended my wounds. While we all rested this man named Farkas told me that I looked strong and I should join the companions in Whiterun. I told him I would think about it but I was a bit afraid to get to close to whiterun as Helgen was within their hold. The Jarl might knew who I was and turn me in. It was tense enough seeing the legate in Markarth yesterday. They thanked me and I was off on my journey north to Mor Kazgur.

I traded a bit with the Khajiit outside of Markarth and then took the road north towards Karthwastern. I came upon a bridge that crossed the great river of the rift and on the other side found some forsworn fighting some legionairres on the road. The prisoner they had with them perished and so did one of the legionaires. The other two legion warriors put the forsworn down with their bows. The ruins that the forsworn were in were marked on my map and realized there was a bounty for the death of their leader.

I quietly entered and began to pick off them one by one. Finally coming to a staircase where I was spotted but I pulled out my maces and put down my opponents. I came upon a separate tower that had a forsworn briarheart inside and quietly went in. I loaded an arrow with paralysis potion and took careful aim. It struck him right in the back and he fell down. I put two more arrows into him and before he could reach me he was down for good. I looted the place and then continued my journey toward Mor Kazgur.

I was detoured when I came across a stormcloak encampment and was asked if I wanted to join the fight. I would have to think about it. But what I would really like to do someday would be to join the legion and see the world.

I found another encampment marked on my map and crept in to take out the leader. There was a bizarre resurrection ceremony going on and I promptly interrupted it with an arrow to the back of the leader. Enraged he ran up the passageway toward me only to fall to a few more arrows. I was out of orc arrows and using forsworn arrows. Not as effective but still capable of killing. I took what I could and left.

Found a river not far away that if I followed it I could get to Mor Kazgur and its Chief Laruk. Borguk had told me he was an old honorable orc. A few wolves got in my way and then I made it to the encampment. Laruk told me I looked weary and as promised I gave them the supplies. He told me to get some sleep and he would have a task for me in the morning. I told him I would love to help out any way possible and he joked that I may not like the task.

Can you post a picture of some kind with his status? Keep it up, I like Grodash´s story a lot.
    you mean his armor rating/damage/skills? I have been meaning to do that.

12th of Heartfire

I awoke in the morning and walked outside. It was a bit cooler here then Dushnikh Yal. Borkagh the Steel Heart was a bitter but pretty young female who was dreading coming of age. She was to be married off to a chieftain of a distant stronghold and would likely hate her life. It was a sad reality and I was almost tempted to take her with me. We talked for a while about many things and she actually smiled a few times. I told her I had to go talk to the chief for a job he had for me.

Laruk saw me and told me if I was ready for a fight. Of course I was. He told me that there were two saber cats that inhabited the plain outside the stronghold. I was to bring back their skins as proof of my prowess as a warrior. I left thinking that I could stalk them one at a time. To my surprise and dread they were together. How was I to beat two sabre cats at the same time! Even if I could kill one the other would rip me apart. I took out some potions and had them ready in a satchel for quick use. I thought back to other fights I had been in where I was outmatched but prevailed. Red Eagle and the bandit leader in Swindler's cave. Both time I had become so enraged that I felt nothing and my skin seemed impervious to damage. I also was stronger. The problem was this instinct or orc rage only came on when I was in a desperate situation. I believed I could control it. Well I would either prevail or die here. I steadied myself and used a paralysis potion on an arrow. I was hoping i could knock out one of the cats while the other one charged. It would give me some breathing room. I saw them and unleashed my arrow to the nearest one. It missed. Malacaths breath I was dead. Both the cats ran at me. I took a deep breath and unsheathed my maces. The insane euphoria and focus overcame me again just like when I was fighting Red Eagle. The first cat leaped at me and I brought my maces together in unison and smashed its head in the middle. It didn't kill it but it went flying for a few seconds out of the fight. I unloaded on the second one and killed it with a smash to the jaw and the back of the head. The first cat shook its head and growled at me. I took the potions I had and poured some poison on my mace. I braced myself and whirled into the beast as it charged me. I was knocked down and it fell on me. Its last breath escaping its body.

I skinned the beasts and brought back the skins to Laruk. He was astonished. He admitted that he did not expect me to survive the task. Grodash was a resilient orc it would seem. He asked if I could help with another task. He told me there was a nest of Forsworn nearby that had stolen the stronghold's hunting grounds. I told them I would help. Borkagh smiled at me at my test of strength and honor.

I took the path towards the ruins that Laruk was talking about. A strange shimmering was ahead of me. As if I had not had enough to deal with this morning I was now under attack by two ice wraiths. One of them cast a cage of ice spikes around my feet that when I tried to move, cut me severely. I was in agony and felt myself in trouble. I slammed a few potions and threw some frost resistance into my body. I recovered and smashed the ice wraiths to bits. Not before they nearly took me with them. It wasn't even mid day and I was exhausted.

After I treated my wounds I stumbled into a forsworn trap in a small canyon and nearly died again after taking down the two bastards. I found some potions in their tent and continued to the ruins. I gave into Namira and fed on them and I felt so much better. Several guards were present at the ruins and I took one out alerting the others. But I was able to stay hidden and take them all down. I moved into the ruins and picked off the enemies one by one. This place was crawling with forsworn. It was nightfall before I penetrated all the way to the back of the huge encampment. I surprised a briarheart with an arrow to the chest. and he charged at me. I unleashed my maces but he was a tough opponent. One of his axes was enchanted and stung especially bad. Soon I had him staggered and took the interlude to take a few potions. He also started to heal with a regeneration spell but I interrupted it and again he was reeling. Finally he was dead. I was exhausted. In the chest I found the statue of Dibella that Lizbet had wanted me to get. So this was a two for one as far as helping people out.

One last thing to check out before heading back to the stronghold. I entered a ruin called hags end and inside were three witches. I dispatched one with an arrow and the other two came after me with fire and lightning. It felt terrible and I took a fire resistance potion but I did not have a potion for lightning. They may have strong magic but they had no armor. One or two hits with my maces sent them flying. A Hagraven was present and threw a fireball at me. I sprinted toward her to close the distance and suddenly a portal of some sort opened up and she disappeared. Where she went I have no idea but I was left with some loot. I left and returned to the stronghold completely exhausted. I needed a break from all this fighting and would return to Dushnikh yal after gathering ingredients and the like. I was out of potions and really needed more. Perhaps I would return to the plains of whiterun and hunt more game. But for now I needed some time off from all this slaughter.

great update, I tried doing your style of play on my own skyrim game but the Forsworn killed me before I ever got to a stronghold, you're a better player than I good sir.
    Quote Originally Posted by Menelik_I View Post
    obviously a Jewish Honeywell operation ... using a time machine invented in 1940 to know all future Far Right stars so Female Mossad Agents would bear their children and taint them for eternity.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimecraft View Post
    great update, I tried doing your style of play on my own skyrim game but the Forsworn killed me before I ever got to a stronghold, you're a better player than I good sir.
    Thank you kind sir. I have had some pretty scary moments and have used my stamina to run away. I find the normal setting too easy so I have been using expert. I appreciate your support and I have been meaning to jump over to your tropico AAR. I used to play that game a little bit and i seem to think it was fun

13th of Heartfire

I bid farewell to the inhabitants of Mor Khazgur and headed out to make the return journey back to Dushnikh Yal. I came across some mudcrabs and felt like I was killing more and more effectively. I went back to Karthwastern to see if Lash was still there and the man that owned the mine asked if I could convince the silverbloods to leave. I didnt really want to get entangled in politics but I felt that the man had a right to keep the mine. He after all worked very hard for what he had. I decided I might go back another time and see if I could help.

I headed to Markarth to collect my bounties from the steward and the Jarl. I also went by the shop that Lisbet ran and she rewarded me handsomely. I stopped by the smith and the hags cure to pick up some more supplies and was ever tempted to hit the silverblood inn for some mead. But I steadied myself and decided to mix up some potions and enchant some rings to see If I could improve the quality of my enchantments.

I then headed back stronghold. I was anxious to hang all my pelts which I had salted but not racked. I ran across a corpse on the way up to the stronghold with a note talking about some treasure. Might be worth looking into later.

Arriving at the stronghold I saw gharol who smiled at the sight of me. This was a new concept to me...smiling orcs. I greeted her and told her about my adventures. She was feeling spry so she began to teach me how to craft dwarven ingots. I had around ten in my possession and she suggested I make some Dwarven maces and then improve them further with her guidance. The metal was tempermental. It was hard to keep in the right temperature and twice I had to melt down my maces and try again. Soon though I had made several maces that Gharol said were exquisite. Looking in my sack she suggested I use the rest of the ingots to craft a new bow to match the dwarven arrows I had purchased in Markarth earlier. I was excited and crafted a wonderful bow. She told me that when I got a chance to get hold of some grand soul gems. She said I was ready to begin making some enchanted gear for myself. She was going to show me how later. So If I got hold of some grand soul gems I could learn how to make some rudimentary magic armor. I was terribly excited.

Darkan's Avatar Senator

Mmm, dwarven weaponry. Grodah will smash heads much easier now. Look out foes!
    Last edited by Darkan; January 31, 2012 at 04:15 PM. Reason: the voices, they made me do it
    DuckDuckGo