Thread: Allowing Dale to recruit ships?

Hallow's Avatar Ducenarius

Default Allowing Dale to recruit ships?

Want the ability just to recruit some basics ships as Dale, kind of annoying not being able to ferry men across the Sea of Rhun and along the river, not to mention the hundreds of "Block this and this port" missions that I get. Could someone point out how to add this in the files please? And would doing so be save game compatible?

Admittedly only at turn 60 in my campaign so ships might come at a later point? If so I'm being a noob and you can ignore me
    "Romans regarded peace not as an absence of war, but the rare situation that existed when all opponents had been beaten down and lost the ability to resist."

Rougeman's Avatar Ducenarius

Default Re: Allowing Dale to recruit ships?

i could recruit ships in 2.1 (so unless they added some event or removed them) then i guess they can still build ships?

do you have a port?

Quote Originally Posted by Rougeman View Post
    i could recruit ships in 2.1 (so unless they added some event or removed them) then i guess they can still build ships?

do you have a port?
    I could also construct ships in 2.1. However at turn 67 I can build ports (and indeed have 1 in Esgaroth and Dorwinion) but cannot recruit ships, nor can I see ships as recruitable in the building browser for any level of ports. Now either ships are disabled for Dale, in which case I'd very much like to know how to add them myself (and whether doing so will affect my current game) or they arrive after turn 67 which if true is fine and I'll just keep playing.
    "Romans regarded peace not as an absence of war, but the rare situation that existed when all opponents had been beaten down and lost the ability to resist."

Dale can build ships but there is abit of a catch:
    Dale can't build ships on the Celduin ports or the Sea of Rhun. This irked me too but I wanted to see for sure so after an aggravatingly long war I got to West Osgiliath and found out that ports I got there were fully capable of building Tier 1 and 2 ships. I think the Alcarondas is Gondor specific.

Quote Originally Posted by koreanschoolkid View Post
    Dale can build ships but there is abit of a catch:
    Dale can't build ships on the Celduin ports or the Sea of Rhun. This irked me too but I wanted to see for sure so after an aggravatingly long war I got to West Osgiliath and found out that ports I got there were fully capable of building Tier 1 and 2 ships. I think the Alcarondas is Gondor specific.
    Well, I think this makes kind of sense. The AI probably does not realise the Sea of Rhun is an Inland sea and would spamm ships like a madman.

if you really want to blockade ports, just let your troops stand on enemy ports, it has the same effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Hallow View Post
    Want the ability just to recruit some basics ships as Dale, kind of annoying not being able to ferry men across the Sea of Rhun and along the river, not to mention the hundreds of "Block this and this port" missions that I get. Could someone point out how to add this in the files please? And would doing so be save game compatible?

Admittedly only at turn 60 in my campaign so ships might come at a later point? If so I'm being a noob and you can ignore me
    I don't know how to help you on the recruiting ships thing, but you can block ports by placing an army over them. You won't be needing ships to do that. I hope someone can help you with your question

Edit: LOL ninjaed by Rougeman
    Last edited by Darth Lord Revan; January 14, 2012 at 07:54 PM. Reason: got ninjaed =)
    Real Combat stats for TATW 3 submod by Darth Lord Revan

Thread link: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...6#post10821526

Download attachment in OP

That sucks. If anyone knows how to change this it would be MUCH appreciated.

Sorry for the double post but:

I think i've figured it out. The Sea of Rhun/Celduin provinces seem to lack the hidden resource "coast". Now this seems rather straightforward to add in descr_regions but I'm curious whether this will then be save game compatible?

you could always try and then switch back if it isnt, i have no skill in modding so i wouldnt be able to tell you

Just add it. You have nothing to lose. I added it in my game, but I don't remember if it's save-compatible.

KnightsTemplar's Avatar Campidoctor

It's not IIRC.
    You need to delete the map.rwm for it to work, and the save game can't work.
    Aure entuluva!

FC Groningen's Avatar Senator

Maybe it is possible to get mercenary ships instead? Once you figure that out as Mordor, your campaign gets a whole lot easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Hallow View Post
    That sucks. If anyone knows how to change this it would be MUCH appreciated.
    You'll need to change two files, or at least change one and make sure the other one doesn't need changing.

The two files are export_descr_unit and export_descr_buildings.

First, back these two up.

To build boats, you need two things, a port, and a ship that the port can build with the tag of that faction enabled.

The faction Dale is scotland. First, if Dale can't build ports, is to find this in export_descr_buildings (note that I'm using a submod):

Code:
    building port
    {
        levels port shipwright dockyard naval_drydock 
        {
            port  requires factions { sicily, byzantium, milan, scotland, ireland, norway, normans, turks, middle_eastern, greek, moors, saxons, timurids, france, } 
            {
                capability
                {
                    recruit_pool "cog"  1   0.15   2  0  requires factions { sicily, turks, byzantium, } 
                    recruit_pool "longboat"  1   0.34   2  0  requires factions { milan, normans, scotland, ireland, moors, saxons, timurids, france, } 
                    recruit_pool "dhow"  1   0.25   2  0  requires factions { middle_eastern, norway, france, } 
                    recruit_pool "dromon"  1   0.15   2  0  requires factions { greek, }
    I don't know what type of ship you want, suffice it to say that the "cog and the "dromon" are both elf exclusive ships in their descriptions. "longboat" is what I think Rhun is using, "dhow" is a warship that's typically on par with the longboat with a one stat difference.

You see those nation names after requires factions? You need to put scotland in there as that is the place holder for Dale.

Remember to add these in to the rest of the port levels as well so the ports will still be able to build them for you after you upgrade them.

To enable the building of ports or sea trade buildings add scotland to the list that comes after "port requires factions {". This will enable you to build the buildings if you could not do so earlier.

Next, you need to open export_descr_units and find "cog" and "dhow" (if those are the two ships you've chosen).

You will need to add scotland into the line of ownership to fully complete the circle of letting the port build it for you.

The line should look like this in both of the unit section:

Code:
    ownership        blah, blah, blah, blah
    That should be it. Here is some music to listen to while doing this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ik20-...eature=related

[hr]

As a special note, if this game crashes on you on start up with an unspecified error, one of the ways of solving it (if it isn't a problem with the edits) is to restart your computer. If reverting back to the original back ups of these two files doesn't work, it's likely that restarting your computer will solve this problem.

What about the coast resource? Is that necesary to add in descr_regions as well or was I mistaken? (Descr_buildings seemed to indicate that it needed that resource to construct a port).

I think coast resource is only necessary for the port itself. You can recruit the ships if the port is build and the ship given to the faction.

Quote Originally Posted by Swad View Post
    I think coast resource is only necessary for the port itself. You can recruit the ships if the port is build and the ship given to the faction.
    Well according to someone else in this thread you can in fact recruit ships as Dale, just not in the Sea of Rhun and the Celduin.

Anyway I looked through the files, Scotland does have the rights to build ports and recruit ships. Tried adding coast to all the Sea of Rhun/Celduin provinces and deleting the map.rwm file but its not save game compatible. Will try starting a new campaign later.

Okay its official. The only thing you need to do in order for Dale to recruit ships in Sea of Rhun/Celduin is to add the hidden resource "coast" to the regions you want to be able to recruit ships in the descr_regions file then delete the map.rwm file and start a new campaign.

There's no such thing as Descr_regions file...

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

There is, look here: ...\Third_Age_3\data\world\maps\base\descr_regions.txt

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory