Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Interested to help? Please read this

Polycarpe's Avatar Back into action!

Default Re: Interested to help? Please read this

Quote Originally Posted by lilong View Post
    i have some knowledge about how to make a new map , so if you need another maper?

this link show some of my work ( long time ago) :

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=499941
    Hi mate, for now we have all our staff in mapping however have you other expertise regarding battle editor or battlemap creation?

Regards.

lilong's Avatar Ikko-Ikki

the IWTE tool is wondelful but i have not experience no it , as for 3D model or 2D texture i only know some .

good at code and script but i really hate them and my interest only in make map now .

so maybe i cant help your guys, good luck for you.

Cliroj's Avatar Ikko-Ikki

Hello

Great mod. I tried the custom battle demo and I am really impressed.
    I just registered here to ask this one question:
    Do you maybe need a concept artist?

I'd really like to help. Some samples are attached. (Quite old, my skills are better meanwhile.)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails samples.png  

SonofPeverel's Avatar GLORY TOTHE BROTHERHOOD
    Moderator Emeritus Content Emeritus

PM more of what your thinking please. And thanks for the interest.

HOUSE OF HADER

Quote Originally Posted by SonofPeverel View Post
    PM more of what your thinking please. And thanks for the interest.

For example, if you need a new unit for any existing faction such as Lordship of the Isles, Kingdom of England or Scotland... and if those units aren't visualized in any historical sources, although you know what they wear (lore). The concept artist basically makes an artwork, by putting these single facts together, and that artwork can be used by the 3D modelers later.

I make a specific example, the Galloglaighs:
    - You know that they used a former kind of the sparth axe, about 18" long: http://allismotion.webs.com/GalloglassAxeSweeney.JPG
    - You know that they used this sgian knife (or bollock dagger, dirk) as the secondary weapon: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bollock_dagger
    (- You know that they used smoke granades. ;D)
    - You know that their armor consists of a gambeson or a hauberk, also that they wear many different kinds of the spangenhelm: http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c63/saxviknorm/svni20a.jpg
    http://www.drachenhort.ch/images/pro...ges/2286_0.jpg

Some description: "Valiant and hardy ... great endurers of cold, labour and all hardness, very active and strong of hand, very swift of foot"; "Picked and selected men of great and mighty bodies"; "men of great stature, of more than ordinary strength of limb"; "grim of countenance, tall of stature, big of limb, burly of body, well and strong timbered chiefly feeding on beefe, porke & butter." - http://home.earthlink.net/~rggsibiba/html/galloglas/gallohist.html

To put all these facts together, the concept artist makes an/few artwork(s), which will be reviewed by the project team. If it is ok, the modelers can use it as some kind of template. It can be detailed, but doesn't have to be.
    The advantage is that the whole team knows in advance what the model is gonna look like, so the modeler doesn't have to change it later because the team comes up with "we don't like this". It would take much more time than a concept. (But I doubt that your modelers are having these problems. They seem to be quite skilled.)

Here's some better definition: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concept_art

I hope you got me. In case you ever need any work of this kind, let me know, and I'll try my best.

Regards,
    Cliroj

David93's Avatar Shiny

Concept art can be very useful, personally i would leave the final decision to ham. Concept art is really useful when modeling your own parts, because you can place the verts directly on the picture if your good you can produce a carbon copy so its very useful we dont do that however so...
    However i still think this could be very useful im not sure about orkney (however i think its the same) but ireland is def lacking in useful pictures to work from as you know alot of our stuff comes from Osprey and osprey dont have an ireland one so... plus pictures are rare to non-exsistent but written descriptions arent lacking, therefore concept art could be very useful imo
    As i said though i think it should be up to ham as to whether he thinks it will be helpful

The Orcs of Gundabad Erin go Bragh FROGS

When I came back to Dublin I was court marshaled in my absence and sentenced to death in my absence, so I said they could shoot me in my absence"
    Brendan Behan
    The Irish won an Empire
    The Scots ran an Empire
    The English lost an Empire

"When I told the people of Northern Ireland that I was an atheist, a woman in the audience stood up and said, 'Yes, but is it the God of the Catholics or the God of the Protestants in whom you don't believe?"
    - Quentin Crisp

There is one weapon that the British cannot take away from us: we can ignore them.
    - Michael Collins

They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken.
    - Bobby Sands

Quote Originally Posted by David93 View Post
    Concept art can be very useful, personally i would leave the final decision to ham. Concept art is really useful when modeling your own parts, because you can place the verts directly on the picture if your good you can produce a carbon copy so its very useful we dont do that however so...
    However i still think this could be very useful im not sure about orkney (however i think its the same) but ireland is def lacking in useful pictures to work from as you know alot of our stuff comes from Osprey and osprey dont have an ireland one so... plus pictures are rare to non-exsistent but written descriptions arent lacking, therefore concept art could be very useful imo
    As i said though i think it should be up to ham as to whether he thinks it will be helpful
    Thank you for responding.
    It took me long to figure out who you mean with "ham".
    But I still don't know what or who you mean with "orkney".
    Sorry, I'm new here.

About the concept: Today at work I made some low level study of the Galloglaigh I was talking about, just to further explain the example I made before. It took me around 20 minutes, so there aren't many details yet. I also didn't look up from the existing models of the ingame Galloglaighs. So basically totally useless work, but I was bored anyway.
    The next days I will modify this study, like coloring, raising the detail level, correcting some historically inaccurate parts, etc. A real concept usually takes few hours of work.

Regards,
    Cliroj
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Galloglaigh_LowLevelSketch.png  

Robert Guiscard's Avatar Miles

This is good stuff, Cliroj. Orkney refers to the Earldom of Orkney (a Norse faction based in the Orkney Islands). Can't wait to see some more of your work

Sic nos sic sacra tuemur

Hello again

The final concept would look like the attached picture. (See previous post of mine for first sketch of the same concept.)

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Guiscard View Post
    This is good stuff, Cliroj. Orkney refers to the Earldom of Orkney (a Norse faction based in the Orkney Islands). Can't wait to see some more of your work
    Thanks you
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Galloglaigh_01_small.jpg  

Dearg Doom's Avatar Aquilifer

Very Very good sir!

Quote Originally Posted by Cliroj View Post
    Hello again

The final concept would look like the attached picture. (See previous post of mine for first sketch of the same concept.)

Thanks you
    I must say your are very talented in drawings mate, a rep is well deserved!

Regarding this kind of help, it will be more to Lord Hamilton to answer to your offer since he's the man behind every units created and you are correct regarding the fact that certain factions or cultures wouldn't have good references pictures but only descriptions and we must to figure it out what they may look like. However, do you think you are able to do the same but with buildings?

Emperor Hantscher's Avatar Aquilifer

I am currently trying to learn how to add custom buildings and accessories into the ambient battle maps. I used to make many custom objects for Sim City 4, mainly just small things that developers over looked but add alot of realism to the game, like highway signs, guardrails, construction barriers etc.

Unfortunately I don't live in medieval Europe so finding inspiration won't be as easy as taking and hour long drive through the countryside. And I live in Canada so finding Medieval aged buildings here is ummm.... impossible? The oldest building near where I am from was built in 1851. The oldest buildings in Canada are from the 17th century and those are a very expensive plane ticket away.

Perhaps if anyone is able they could PM me pictures of medieval style farmhouse and give ideas of some small details that may be present on a battlefield like fences or haystacks or something just to get some ideas going and when I finish some models I can show them to mod leaders here to see if you want to use them.

I am not prepared to make entire custom settlements at this point, just some ambient objects that will be placed randomly on open field battlemaps or even just on the outskirts of a settlement. Then again I just decided to do this this morning so I really don't even know the limitations of modding M2TW.

David93's Avatar Shiny

Irish round tower
    Googling them will produce loads of results if you want different pics

When I came back to Dublin I was court marshaled in my absence and sentenced to death in my absence, so I said they could shoot me in my absence"
    Brendan Behan
    The Irish won an Empire
    The Scots ran an Empire

"When I told the people of Northern Ireland that I was an atheist, a woman in the audience stood up and said, 'Yes, but is it the God of the Catholics or the God of the Protestants in whom you don't believe?"
    - Quentin Crisp

There is one weapon that the British cannot take away from us: we can ignore them.
    - Michael Collins

They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken.
    - Bobby Sands

Emperor Hantscher's Avatar Aquilifer

Here's what I got so far,

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Took me a while to figure out how to cut the windows through the tower but once i did that things went pretty quick. I still have to add a ladder to get to the doorway, put some rings around the base of the tower like shown in the picture, I may also add walls around it aswell but i thought I would show you the basic tower as of right now. I may still redo the textures and get some that are a little grayer than what I have now.

I hope the scale in medieval 2 is not weird, I basically modelled this to real life scale, it's 30 meters tall and has a radius at the base of 4 m and it gets narrower as it gets taller. I hope it's not gigantic when it goes in game. I probly could have halved the radius to 2M so that so it's skinnier like the image but I can always do another one.

What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Hantscher View Post
    Here's what I got so far,

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Took me a while to figure out how to cut the windows through the tower but once i did that things went pretty quick. I still have to add a ladder to get to the doorway, put some rings around the base of the tower like shown in the picture, I may also add walls around it aswell but i thought I would show you the basic tower as of right now. I may still redo the textures and get some that are a little grayer than what I have now.

I hope the scale in medieval 2 is not weird, I basically modelled this to real life scale, it's 30 meters tall and has a radius at the base of 4 m and it gets narrower as it gets taller. I hope it's not gigantic when it goes in game. I probly could have halved the radius to 2M so that so it's skinnier like the image but I can always do another one.

What do you think?
    I'm looking at it and really you are very skillful, I mean really, perhaps someone in the mod workshop could answer some of your question or rather may help you to integrate your model inside because if you succeed to do the whole thing, trust me you will do many wonders! Have a rep for taking the time of doing it.

Dearg Doom's Avatar Aquilifer

Is it a possibility at this time that this mod may have some form of custom settlements or buildings?

David93's Avatar Shiny

Im going to say that there is a chance, but its not 100%

Brendan Behan
    The Irish won an Empire
    The Scots ran an Empire

- Quentin Crisp

- Michael Collins

- Bobby Sands

Quote Originally Posted by Polycarpe View Post
    I must say your are very talented in drawings mate, a rep is well deserved!

Regarding this kind of help, it will be more to Lord Hamilton to answer to your offer since he's the man behind every units created and you are correct regarding the fact that certain factions or cultures wouldn't have good references pictures but only descriptions and we must to figure it out what they may look like. However, do you think you are able to do the same but with buildings?
    Thank you

Yes I think I would be able to do the same with buildings, just that I don't have as much experience with them as with armors and weapons. But I'm always ready to try new things.
    Send me a PM if you have any specific job for me, and I will do it asap (I won't be home until 18th of August, so I can't do anything good looking before that day... sketches only.)

Miles

I wanted to know if your mod could use a apprentice.
    I want to know everything that has to do with units from the scripting to the modeling.
    As an apprentice I would love to have a mentor that can give me stupid and for him annoying jobs so that I can ask him questions in return.
    I can speak many languages and I modeled for nba live 2000:
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...otteampla.jpg/

Discens

firstly, amazing mod and i love it!
    Second, i have made a music mod for MTW2. It has solely been for my usage for years but i think it would be amazing in this mod (i use it with this mod)... it is a huge mix of medieval songs ranging from the 12th to the 15th century.

Would you like to give this a shot or sample?

Napoleon: Fields of Glory mod link below. . .
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=499906

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information