Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ANNO DLIV - TRANQUILIVS ET ANNALIS

Merula's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: ANNO DLIV - TRANQUILIVS ET ANNALIS

Merula, in the middle of a glorious memory involving green fields, wine and a couple of Iberian maidens, is interrupted by a hand bearing a message from the above seats, he looks around casually and finds the familiar face of Senator Caninus staring down at him with a curious expression, he opens the parchment reads quickly and sends a reply back up the isles.

Of course friend, I would rather be at Cannae again than at this dreary affair, dinner is most welcome.

"Has the Quaestor been working on his report? We must keep moving with this year's next affairs. First of all, now that the War is over, we must organize our policy with our neighbors at the East. The Macedonians, while not at war with us anymore, might soon become a menace to the Greek nations and to eventually, to us. I say we should send spies and agents to create closer relations with them and the neighboring nations if we are to know exactly what their intentions are for the future, and be prepared.

Tazgrent's Avatar Ducenarius

Quaestor Cotta stands to deliver his report. "Conscript Fathers, I have completed my compiling of the republic's financial situation. In short: they are not good."

"First, the treasury."
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

"As you can see, we are facing an annual deficit of over 50,000 denarii, which is a crisis level debt. Compounding that, we only have 10,000 denarii in the treasury, and not much breathing room to build in order to climb our way out of the debt. The situation in Spain is not much better."

"The territories annexed from Spain are on the verge of revolt. In order to quell the violence, I suggest the dedication of shrines of Jupiter in the affected provinces be undertaken immediately. However, that will not be sufficient. We must also move the conquering legions of Scipio, currently based in Spain, into the cities. Finally, there is Epirus."

"Though Dyrrachium remains in good order, the territory of Apollonia is on the verge of revolt as well. I suggest a similar dedication occur there, as well as a strengthening of the garrison. My proposed constructions would cost approximately 4,000 denarii, and I leave the garrisoning to the Consuls' discretion. I ask that a Consul motion to have my proposed bill heard and voted on. Thank you.

Cotta regains his seat.

Dark Storm's Avatar saut dans le vide
    Citizen

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Gnaeus nods too Cotta before holding up a scroll to the Senate. "I'm sure this can help us," he began, "I recently compiled a list of all our standing forces and where they are based, the report also contains the happiness levels of the populace." he stood and read the report out...

Akragas- Happy
    Marcus Claudius Marcellus
    Polybian Republican Cohort
    Roman Republican Triarii

Surakousai- Angry
    Publius Cornelius Scipio
    5x Polybian Republican Cohort
    2x Allied Republican Cohort
    2x Roman Republican Triarii
    2x Greek Slinger

Messana- Happy
    Marcus Livius Salinator

Rhegion- Happy
    Gnaeus Servilius Geminus
    2x Allied Skirmisher

Crotona-Happy
    Gaius Terentius Varro
    Greek Slinger
    Allied Skirmisher

Tarentum-Happy
    Lucius Vibius Atellus
    2x Allied Skirmisher

Cannae-Happy
    Roman Equites Extraordinarii
    Republican Legionary Velite
    Samnite Pedites Extraordinarii
    2x Campanian Cavalry

Capua-Happy
    Sextus Fabius Maximus
    2x Allied Republican Cohorts
    2x Campanian Cavalry

Roma-Happy
    Quintus Fabius Maximus
    Roman Equites Extraordnarii
    Latin Medium Cavalry
    Roman Republican Triarii

Ariminum-Happy
    Lucius Aemilius Paulus
    3x Allied Republican Cohort

Arretium-Happy
    Quintus Caecilius Metellus

Bononia-Neutral
    2x Campanian Cavalry

Patavium-Unhappy
    2x Campanian Cavalry

Mediolanon-Unhappy
    2x Allied Equites Extraordinarii
    6x Polybian Republican Cohort
    4x Allied Republican Cohort
    Greek Slinger
    Roman Republican Triarii
    Allied Triarii

Dyrrhachium-Happy
    4x Polybian Republican Cohort
    2x Roman Equites Extraordinarii
    2x Allied Skirmisher

Appolonia- Angry
    Quintus Fulvius Flaccus
    2x Republican Velite
    Allied Triarii

Aleria-Happy
    Lucius Postumius Albinus
    Allied Republican Cohort

Caralis-Happy
    Tiberius Sempromonius Longus
    2x Allied Triarii
    Allied Equites Extraordinarii
    2x Greek Slinger

Pollentia-Happy
    Gaius Flaminius Nepos
    2x Allied Triarii

Emporiae-Neutral
    General Gaius- Tribunal Militia
    Allied Equites Extraordinarii
    Allied Skirmisher
    Allied Triarii
    3x Polybian Republican Cohort

Sagunton-Angry
    2x Allied Triarii
    2x Allied Skirmisher

Carthago Nova-Angry
    Allied Skirmisher

Gadir-Angry
    Publius Cornelius Scipio
    2x Allied Triarii
    Allied Skirmisher

Armies in the field
    'Grand Army' one turn from Gadir
    General Titus- Tribunus Militia
    Allied Triarii
    2x Republican Legionary Velite
    Allied Skirmisher

'Grand Army' near to Carthago Nova
    General Gaius- Tribunus Militia
    Allied Triarii
    2x Republican Legionary Velite
    Allied Skirmisher

Legion- Near to Roma
    General Lucius- Tribunus Militia
    2x Campanian Cavalry
    2x Allied Triarii
    2x Allied Skirmisher

'Legion- Near to Capua
    General Spurius- Tribunus Militia
    2x Campanian Cavalry
    2x Allied Triarii
    2x Allied Skirmisher

Legion- Near to Crotona
    General Gnaeus- Tribunus Militia
    2x Campanian Cavalry
    2x Allied Triarii
    2x Allied Skirmisher

...treasure, pleasure, leisure, les yeux;
    It's all in your eyes.

CK23's Avatar Campidoctor

"This financial situation is grave indeed and Quaestor what do intend we do to rectify it. Seeing as this is your area of expertise?" Diocletian spoke to his "Plebeian" rival somewhat playfully and sarcastically. Diocletian was fresh from a few rewarding verbal debates on the Rostra.
    Rabble rousing, Pleb Commander CK23

Cotta nodded oddly professionally for one speaking to an enemy. "I've come up with a few proposals. The first, and most akin to the Roman spirit, is simply to conquer more territory, leaning on the momentum we already posses and using the present military forces. Hispania is astoundingly rich and its mines could pay for our expenses many times over. There is a faster and more expedient solution, however, though I'm not sure I support it. As you know, it is traditional in our Republic to send home most of the soldiers when the fighting is done. Keep in mind though, if we choose to disband large portions of our troops, any expeditions into Hispania would have to be put off for a few years. I wouldn't worry about external threats, as Carthage has been declawed and most other kingdoms pose little serious threat to us, except the Macedonians."

EDIT (Addendum): "I then ask the Consuls to do the following. In addition in holding a vote on my shrine building proposal, they also put to a vote the method of how we are to handle the debt, including my two proposals and any others put forth in the Curia. Once the course of action has been determined, we will then leave it to the Consuls to see how best to implement it. If we choose to disband, the Consuls will select the troops to be sent home. If we are to conquer, the Consuls will naturally head the missions."
    Last edited by Tazgrent; January 17, 2012 at 09:35 PM. Reason: clarity

Aulus had arrived at the Curia in good time and took his seat amongst the other men gathered. He was somewhat disheartened to see the hall so emptied. He wondered where the pride of his countrymen had gone. Nevertheless, still in his first week back from a minor post outside of the eternal city, he focused himself and listened carefully as the session was opened and the Consuls spoke. The floor was given to the Quaestor Cotta and then discussion of financial problems began between Cotta, the Consul Tranquillus and the Plebeian Tribune Diocletianus. The situation of state funds certainly seemed dire. Aulus wondered if additional construction in unhappy provinces would help fix the problem, or further disrupt the intricate balance. As the men debated, an idea came to him. Once there was silence, he raised his hand and stood.

"Consules, Quaestor, Tribunus," he looked to each in turn to give them their due respect. "It is refreshing to be here in Roma once again. Yet, it is troubling to learn that the financial situation of our great republic is so dire. Though I am not myself the overseer of state finances, with Quaestor Cotta's blessing, I might submit a proposal. Continued expansion certainly has the possibility of adding to our coffers. Yet, if we expand too quickly, our forces will be too thin. We will have to pay to support the economies of new provinces, and likewise to resupply the cohorts spent in the capturing of new lands.

"Our army, mighty as it is, is a milita. They are men who deserve to return home once they have served their terms. Having succeeded in expanding our empire already, would it not be wisest to take some time and consolidate our hold on our new lands? It is my opinion that we should disband the maniples of any province that are unnecessary. Whatever money we have to spare should be used to strengthen the local economies of our more recent acquisitions. People will grow happy with wealth, as will we all." With that, Aulus returned to his seat.
    My AARs: [EB AAR] Sons of Achilles

Like RPing? Like Imperial Rome? Check out Aeterna Roma!

Nota''s Avatar Campidoctor

We are not barbarians Cotta. When a roman goes hungry he does not steal food! No we must send our Roman men home to their Roman farms to feed their Roman families. We have lost enough men to that butcher hannibal already, and have our toops not earnt their leave? Any who wish to stay in service should be used to garrison the towns that do not fully accept our rule. We are liberators to the spanish, let us not be seen as conquerors and oppressors.

"While I agree with your proposal I do not agree with your tone. The Iberians should be eternally grateful to us for deigning to place them under Roman law and civilization. Anything less than utter obedience from them should be seen as rebellion, and crushed outright. These tribesmen are not Roman citizens and the only right they posses is the right to obey. The hand of our sacred Republic is not open in kindness, but closed in a fist of sacred duty. It is entirely likely that we will face a rebellion in Hispania before the year is out, and even though we should consider disbanding troops here in Italia, every single Roman soldier that we have in Hispania should remain there, on duty and alert, lest the ungrateful barbarians of the peninsula should cast aside their rightful state of servitude and take up blasphemous arms against their designated masters."

Why do we need such a large army? Our tradition has always called for the return of our soldiers to their fields upon the end of a campaign. However, handling the new conquered barbarians will be troublesome, so we cannot simply retreat from there entirely.

I propose that we reduce the number of a troops in Iberia to the minimum size needed to maintain peace (disband just so we have a yellow or blue face in most cities). We should also allow the most veteran men to return, and leave the newer recruits.

Marcus Calpurnius Bestia, staying out of sight as much as is possible, slips into the middle of the rows around the Senate floor; allowing his face to blend into the mass of Senators around him. He listened attentively to the ongoing debate to decipher the issue before making any statement.
    YATS NAME: Marcus Calpurnius Bestia - 52 [Plebeian]

Seeing an opportunity, Aulus again took the floor. "I concur that we should not lightly pull the bulk of our forces away from the most volatile of our territories in Hispania. Such a move would only serve to hurt our efforts in the long run. Reasonable levels of troops should be kept in that land to ensure that the natives remain placated and docile. However, according to the reports previously read, there are troops in several provinces that can and should return home. Let those men in Corsica and Sardinia return home; lower the size of the field armies here in Italia. We are currently at no great risk."

No great risk Senator? Have you forgotten that we still have the Macedonian kingdom to worry about? They were allies of Hannibal, and it is not likely that they will just accept the loss of Apollonia without a fight. While I support allowing the Legions to return from the backwater of Iberia, we still have an enemy to defeat!

The Senators all turn towards the source of the voice, wondering who the late comer is. The mystery is soon solved, the long matted hair, massive scars and most tellingly the crude metal mechanism that replaces the left hand of the speaker mark him as the infamous Veteran Aulus Lucinius Caldius.

I say that we raise allied Legions in the south and use them to quell the trouble in Iberia. We Romans are Soldiers, not watchmen and we should be taking the fight to our enemies!

Elendil of Númenor's Avatar Campidoctor

Caninus didn't bother to stand up for this and merely commented on a lazy tone,

"Oh yes, Caldius, and how would you pay for that? Perhaps your... hand" Caninus smirked with a nod at the piece of metal, "is worth a few coins. Why don't you go and levy a legion for us with that. Show us how fantastic a soldier you are!"
    He looked around. Raising from his seat, he said in a painful voice.
    "What a joke this place has become. Senators, we have a serious economical crisis on our hands, and it would help if we wouldn't take it lightly - let alone," he gestured at Caldius, rolling his eyes, "foolishly. Let us raise taxes to the possible maximum as long as people don't revolt. Everywhere. There's no room for being lenient with ourselves. Let the people shout, they'll survive. Furthermore, disband a legion in Spain, let the men settle down and show those barbarians what civilization is. The rest of the troops can be sent into the cities. As for the Macedonians. Take a legion from Italy, put it on a ship and send it to Apollonia. ALL the rest, that isn't absolutely needed: disband, disband, disband! Let them work for us. There's no use in paying them for being idle!"
    Caninus smiled, and sat down comfortably.

I have given a limb to Rome, perhaps you could spare some respect, both for myself and for men you talk about as though they are slaves. We are still at war Senator, Gold is a concern for when peace comes to Rome, not before.

"The war IS over, Caldius, try to keep yourself up to date with events, I'm sure it would help you if you speak up in these sacred halls. Scipio was victorious. We don't need massive armies to defeat no longer existent generals."
    Caninus spread his arms.
    "Honestly, I am impressed and slightly amused by your sentiment on gold, however, I assure you, peace wouldn't be so comfortable with a debt of several hundred talents weighing us down. Actually, I daresay, that could never even be called peace."

Scipio defeated Hannibal; his Macedonian allies have not been defeated. Raising taxes while disbanding men as you suggest will do nothing but cause rebellion while robbing us of the means to fight it, which our enemies will be all too happy to take advantage of.

Manius had not bothered to meddle himself into this debate yet, these sacred halls had become a boring place since the war was over. No more panicking senators, no more angry senators. Now it was just boring men talking about money. Ah well, so was the job of a senator. He didn't care to stand up, he was the praetor after all! 'Gentlemen, let us not forget Roman order. The inhabitants of our recently acquired territory in Hispania are not that pleased with us as their new leaders. In these cities there is chaos and it is our utmost priority to instill Roman order upon our subjects. And further on I fully agree with our dear senator Caninus that those who carry arms but just sit idle in a camp should return to their homes. But, we will also need troops to maintain order! Nothing better to suppress a few unruly citizens than a row of Roman swords and shields. But I suspect our provincial governor has already taken some steps against these people, I heard he is a man of deeds.'
    YATS: Manius Aquillius Tuscus, 46, Patrician

"As has been proposed, let us keep each of our Hispanic cities garrisoned with enough men to ensure the loyalty of the populace. In addition, a full or half-legion can be stationed at our most established city in that province to serve as intimidation against the local tribes." Torquatus then looked to Aulus Caldius, the senator who seemed so worried about a potential Macedonian threat. "As Senator Tuscus has just suggested: let us move a legion from Italia to Apollonia, not out of fear of what the Macedonians might do, but rather to show them good Roman strength. And then, disband all other unneeded cohorts.

"The idea of raising taxes is one I agree with, though it should only be done in those settlements where the populace is happy and wealthy enough to bear it ((towns that will stay green)). If we can raise taxes in these places while also allowing some of our men to return home, surely this financial enemy can be defeated just as surely as Hannibal and Carthage were."

"I agree with Senator Torquatus on taxes, if that is enough to sustain our economy. However, I fear our Treasury is emptying too quickly to simply make do with so little. We have to keep in mind that staying out of debt is not our goal: we need to make profit! So I say, until our finances stabilize, why don't we order those extra 'crisis'-taxes to be collected. As much as the people can handle. It might hurt for a year or two ((blue or yellow!)), but it would all be for the good of Rome! We can return everything to normal when money starts flowing in once more.
    Quaestor Cotta, could you show us some kind of report that could tell us what taxes we have in different areas and how they could be changed?"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast