Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ANNO DLIV - TRANQUILIVS ET ANNALIS

Tazgrent's Avatar Ducenarius

Default Re: ANNO DLIV - TRANQUILIVS ET ANNALIS

"I have compiled a list of the taxation situation in the cities of the Republic. They are as follows:"

The following settlements are recommended for maximum taxation: Arretium, Arminium, Roma, Capua, Cannae, Croton, Rhegion, Messana, Akragas, Caralis,
    Aleria.

The following settlements are recommended for high taxation: Tarentum, Lilybaeum, Pollentia.

The following settlements are recommended for medium taxation: Emporion

The following settlements are recommended to stay on low taxation: Gadir, Carthago Nova, Saguntum, Bononia, Mediolanum, Syracuse, Patavium, Apollonia

Additionally, the Spanish provinces as well as Apollonia require garrisons as soon as possible.

Dark Storm's Avatar saut dans le vide
    Citizen

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

"I would also suggest that some of the Garrison in Dyrrachium is moved to the neighbouring city and that in areas where it can be sustained some garrisons are depleted. I do not think we should hamstring ourselves however by removing the armies in spain."
    ...treasure, pleasure, leisure, les yeux;
    It's all in your eyes.

CK23's Avatar Campidoctor

Diocletian grudgingly nodded, the rate of taxes was already oppressive to some people within Italy but they realized that the continued success of the Republic warranted such actions, despite the anti-Populist sentiment in the Senate the blessing of the Tribune would be relatively important to any of these men who believed them to be "men of the people". "I believe that the Plebeian Council would agree to such measures and I personally believe that they are not too extravagant." Diocletian added. "I served in Iberia, as some of us did. The Iberians are fierce and Carthaginians honed this fierceness and used it against us and they will continue too surely. I believe that a firm hand will do a half legion in Iberia solely dedicated to police actions would be wise while the remainder return home. The threat of the Macedonians is far too great to just sit here and wave it off. A full legion should be dispatched immediately even if it is made up of various units throughout Italy. Senators now is a time where we must be united for war with the Macedonians is within our time and if this financial situation does not clear up quickly and efficiently I believe the Macedonians have the capability to strike on Roman lands. It was our promise as Senate that we would not have any incursions on the Italian lands again."
    Rabble rousing, Pleb Commander CK23

Over the course of the discussion many ideas had been proposed. Though the words spoken by each man carried a hint of debate and disagreement, Torquatus noticed that over time the men of the Curia came closer and closer to reaching an agreement through their words. It seemed as if everyone had agreed on disbanding the unneeded cohorts, while leaving Hispania well-defended from any possible attacks. Attention seemed to move toward Macedonia, and to the state of finances. "I take your meaning, Senator Caninus. For the betterment of the state, and thus all of its subjects, I would support a proposition to raise emergency taxes. However, we must decide how long such a raise will remain in effect. It is easy to say 'until the budget is balanced', yet if we enter a total war with the Kingdom of Macedonia, there is a chance our emergency tax will become a war tax lasting as long as the war. Such a thing would only serve to ruin the spirit of the plebes.

Torquatus was just as staunch of a Patrician as any other, but he understood that despite how much he and his fellow senators looked down upon the plebes, if pushed too far they would push back. They had done so not long after the republic was founded. If they were to send Roman legions against the forces of Macedonia, and in Macedonian lands, they had to be sure it was a war that would give them total victory--not a war that would drag out for decades. Or, if it was a war that lasted for decades, that the tax to support the economy was not overbearing for the duration of it.
    My AARs: [EB AAR] Sons of Achilles

Like RPing? Like Imperial Rome? Check out Aeterna Roma!

Unless anyone disagrees, we should vote on the propositions made by Aurelius. The taxes must be raised and the troops ought to return home if we are to avoid this crisis.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123