-

TRIBVNVS PLEBIS
    FAVSTVS NAEVIVS DIOCLETIANVS

PROCONSVL HISPANIA
    MARCVS CASSIANIS POSTVMVS

Gone 2 the Celts's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: ANNO DLIV - TRANQUILIVS ET ANNALIS

OOC: Both consuls are named GNaeus

Marcus says goodbye to several elderly senators as he embarks on his journey to Hispania
    Quote Originally Posted by Kip Bohannon View Post
    I'm actually quite fond of Egyptian mythology. I'm quite fond of anything with golden penises, really.

CK23's Avatar Campidoctor

Diocletian had been elected Tribune of the Plebeians by the Plebeian Council and he was proud that he was the chosen champion of the people and he realized that it was a career move some of his predecessors had done a lot and others had done a little. Diocletian entered the Senate and was immediately surrounded by other Plebeian senators and the like. Diocletian quickly dispatched many of them with answers to the their questions or suggestions. Diocletian took his seat on the right of the Curia something that he had done since his early days in the Senate. Diocletian was quick to notice that neither of the Consuls were present, nor were any of the other elected officials had he arrived early or late? Many of the other Senators were talking loudly and complaining about the delay.
    Rabble rousing, Pleb Commander CK23

Dark Storm's Avatar saut dans le vide
    Citizen

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Gnaeus entered the Senate once more after his long absence. Yet he was glad to be back, and in the position of Consul too. He had vowed to himself that he would do his utmost to be worthy of the role and he knew that he could. He noticed many of the Senators were busy gossiping as he entered, he walked across the floor then took up his seat, and waited for the other Senators, elected to magistracies, to arrive.
    ...treasure, pleasure, leisure, les yeux;
    It's all in your eyes.

His steps echoed in the halls of marble as Manius entered the senate. Newer plebeians senators looked at him with great distrust. Excellent, his reputation was spreading. They knew who rules this sacred hall, the wealthy patricians. Not that filthy rabble. While walking to a seat close to the consular chairs he notices how empty the senate actually was, sure there where senators but the magistrates? No consuls to be seen. He did notice that pleb populist.. Ah well, they would come.
    YATS: Manius Aquillius Tuscus, 46, Patrician

Diocletian noticed the arrival of the Consul, Gnaeus Claudius Tranquillus and immediately stood up. "Esteemed Consul, I am glad that you have arrived I believe that we must begin immediately we have several important things to address. I believe the first order of business is the appointment of a suffectus Quaestor, we cannot be without one of the most important magistrates. I believe my esteemed Plebeian friend Tiberius Aurelius Cotta should be appointed in the wake of no Quaestor." Diocletian had wasted no time and immediately begun to conspire against his enemies it was unlike his personality but he realized that a Patrician wannabe was not what the People of Rome needed as Tribune, Diocletian was not entirely sure but he knew this bill could be forced through by his popularity and his power as Tribune.
    Last edited by CK23; January 15, 2012 at 07:01 PM.

Citizen

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

"Would it not be pertinent, Tribune, for us to wait for all members of our Senate to arrive? Indeed it appears many of our colleagues, including most of the magistrates appear to be absent at them moment. I would advise that we wait for Cotta to arrive himself before appointing him the role of Suffectus Quaestor, so that we may here his views on matters that directly pertain to him. Wouldn't you agree?"
    It's all in your eyes.

"I agree entirely but the matters of the Senate should not be held up especially when the taxes of the people are at the hands of people who would spend them so unwisely. Do you not agree esteemed consul?" Diocletian smiled reassuringly at the Consul. Time didn't matter to Diocletian it would have to be done within the coming hours or days when the Senators finally arrived.

Citizen

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Gnaeus sighed, "Are there any others Tribune, who are fit for this task? Or who would wish to take on the role of Quaestor, who are not here now?" he asked the man directly
    It's all in your eyes.

Tazgrent's Avatar Ducenarius

Tiberius Aurelius Cotta enters the Curia, waving to friends and clients, and giving a deep nod to his friend Tuscus, he takes his usual seat on the aisle of one of the sets of steps leading up the edges of the Senate house.

Citizen

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Gnaeus smiles seeing him arrive, "Aah, the man himself. Senator Cotta, now you are here, is it your wish to take on the role of Quaestor? In absence of any serving this term?"
    It's all in your eyes.

"From my knowledge and his financial expertise in the Plebeian Council he would be wise for the position Consul. I believe that it would be fitting." Diocletian realized that Cotta was already a member of the "Equestrian" apparatus but the unofficial elevation from the Senate could be seen as a way to use it against him, had a Censor been elected this term it would make Diocletians goals easier.

Tazgrent's Avatar Ducenarius

Cotta stands to address the Senate. "I would be honored to accept such a duty, Conscript Fathers. I accept this task whole-heartedly and swear to bring only glory and honor the our sacred Res Publica."
    Last edited by Tazgrent; January 15, 2012 at 05:31 PM. Reason: grammar

Citizen

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Gnaeus nodded, "Very well then, Senator Diocletianus, you may state your proposition so that the Senate can hear it and so it can be put too vote."
    It's all in your eyes.

OOC: I refuse to do the latin titles and anyone who can translate it would be much appreciated, I refuse to do dishonor to the language.

Diocletian walked down to the center of the Curia and read his proposal to the Senate.

Lex Quaestor Suffectus DLIII AVC
    I. Senator Tiberius Aurelius Cotta be appointed Quaestor suffectus for the remainder of this term and immediately be dispatched to do his business.
    Last edited by CK23; January 15, 2012 at 07:35 PM.

Citizen

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

"I second the aforementioned proposal." Gnaeus nodded
    It's all in your eyes.

Maximinius silently walks inside the senate house and takes as seat on the right hand side of the Curia.

Merula's Avatar Campidoctor

Merula enters the halls of the Curia and sits down quietly in a corner, wanting only to view proceedings as they occur for now.... Let them talk, there is no need to rouse myself until more pressing matters present themselves...like Carthage.

Quintus, quickly hurried into the senate house, he rushed to a seat on the furthest left of the curia.

Elendil of Númenor's Avatar Campidoctor

Fabius Caninus was sitting on one of the higher benches, as usual. His rank deserved a place in front, but he never found the company of all those... busybody senators really engaging. The Senate was crowded as usual at the starts of terms – although this interest generally wavered by Martius or Aprilis. Strange, that they were so eager to see the first sessions. Most probably just wanted to know who was elected in to positions for the year, to lazy to follow much of the elections closely. All of it was so boring already. The same questions debated again and again.... Not a surprise, of course – since Scipio's wonderful, yet, we must admit, monotonous series of victories in Spain and Africa, nothing exciting ever happened in the Curia. Perhaps a number of senators even hoped to see some kind of unexpected, radical change or just another manic general setting foot on Italian shores and coming to Rome's gates. And thus, regular attendance was no longer anyone's goal. Most of the Senate went off to do their daily business, wait for clients to appear or simply just stay away from the boring part of politics. By spring, all those back and middle rows were empty or just scarcely filled with people.

This meant a lot of free room for Caninus – the people of importance, those who were in charge normally preferred to stay on the lower, front benches, while he enjoyed the space leisurely. Now it was different – all those people around him gazing at the new magistrates intently made him have to shrink and pull his toga up in order to avoid unpleasant entanglement with the loose garments of his neighbours. They won't be hear for long, thought Caninus with a smirk, and I'll be sitting comfortably again. He liked his place up in the back. His status and previous positions allowed him to speak freely whenever he wished, and he just loved the look on people's faces, when they had to crane their necks and turn around to see him. He enjoyed being behind everyone. He preferred to stay in the shadows.

And so, smiling to himself slightly, he scribbled something on a little piece of parchment, folded it, and idly sent it forward among the rows, all the way to – Senator Secundus Atrius Merula. He would recognize my handwriting, Caninus thought. One was a wealthy Plebeian, the other a never too blatant Patrician. Caninus was mostly in support of Merula's motions. And so, when Merula looked up over his shoulder through the benches, he saw Caninus raise his eye-brows, his face bearing a rather shrewd expression, as if saying “Well?”
    The parchment read:

What an uninspiring bunch. Care to have a cup of wine tonight or tomorrow at my domus?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast