Thread: Facing 2 AI armies at Helms Deep

Default Facing 2 AI armies at Helms Deep

Is there canything that can be done about this problem? The second army tends to stand on the mountain above the walls and do nothing save a few units moving down the cliffs. This has been a major problem for me. It is such a brillant custom settlement, I hate to see this.
    Shogun 2, no thanks I will stick with Kingdoms SS.

Default Re: Facing 2 AI armies at Helms Deep

You can change the deployment outlines for the settlement. Takes only a few seconds in IWTE. You just have to drag some lines away from the problem area.

Quote Originally Posted by alreadyded View Post
    You can change the deployment outlines for the settlement. Takes only a few seconds in IWTE. You just have to drag some lines away from the problem area.
    So can I make both armies show up out front of the walls? Could you explain further just a bit, I don't quite understand what your talking about, what is IWTE?

Quote Originally Posted by stevehoos View Post
    So can I make both armies show up out front of the walls? Could you explain further just a bit, I don't quite understand what your talking about, what is IWTE?
    That would be the glorious tool that allowed custom settlements in M2TW.
    Here is the link to the tutorials http://mjollnir.twcenter.net/forums/...d.php?t=323503

Have fun learning how to use it
    Real Combat stats for TATW 3 submod by Darth Lord Revan

Thread link: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...6#post10821526

Download attachment in OP

Dutch-Balrog's Avatar Domesticus

The IWTE tool is the legend that made custom settlements in M2TW even possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Lord Revan View Post
    That would be the glorious tool that allowed custom settlements in M2TW.
    Here is the link to the tutorials http://mjollnir.twcenter.net/forums/...d.php?t=323503

Have fun learning how to use it
    Oh man that thing, oh jeez ok.

I might be a tactical retard but why do armies need super-heavily defended settlements? Cant the enemy just ignore it and do more damage somewhere else? This effectively cuts down any reinforcements while also targeting more higher priority targets.

Teutonic Warlord's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Clamchop View Post
    I might be a tactical retard but why do armies need super-heavily defended settlements? Cant the enemy just ignore it and do more damage somewhere else? This effectively cuts down any reinforcements while also targeting more higher priority targets.
    Well, heavily defended areas for armies add more favor to the defenders, increasing their survivability. If someone were to ignore a heavily defended settlement and leave no one to deal with them or distract them, they are effectively turning their back on an army that can attack them where it hurts the most. You either need to destroy the enemy army or bog it down while you focus elsewhere.

As for Helm's Deep, Saruman was trying to conquer Rohan, and it held a bulk of their forces and the royal family in its walls. Taking Helm's Deep would destroy a significant part of Rohan's army, kill the royal family, and put the rest of their forces in disarray.

I think a fort like Kerak during the 12th century is a perfect example of a heavily defended target that needed to be attacked because of its bothersome location.

I have been experiencing the very same problem, and while it can be very funny to see 2000 orcs crawling around on a vertical surface, it does ruin the entire siege if you want to have a battle anywhere near the size and epicness as the one in the movie.

I have tried to edit the deployment zones in IWTE, but the program only lets you change the deployment zone of the defenders, which is not the problem here. So I ask: is there a veteran modder here willing and able to devote his/her time to make the attackers spawn in front of the Hornburg, and not on the mountains? Or does someone have some good advice how to make this work?

leo.civil.uefs's Avatar É nóis que vôa bruxão!

I think you should wait a proper fix form KK in the next patch.

While I quite sure it is possible to fix, it will be better done by someone who understands about how the AI works and have some experience with IWTE.

Every custom settlement we make is a challange to get it working for the AI.

Me messing with IWTE= confusion and trouble

I have found a solution for this problem: set the unit size to huge, give isengard the max amount of warriors, and make sure they outnumber you many times. Believe me, when they start pouring into the fortress, you'll bricks and you'll forget all about something silly like a second enemy army.

Sorry to wake this thread up but......

oh my goodness.. this map has been annoying me, i've attempted to use IWTE to change/modify deployment area etc, i cant work it out and i may seem to have a found a flaw (it's not really a flaw, but the way CA designed reinforced seiges): M2TW treats each custom settlement as an average seige map with the defenders in their own area (the centre) and the attacking AI (sharing the outside areas proportionately). Funnily enough with LotR TW (rome 1 alexander mod), the second ai attacker spawns behind as usual, BUT finds their way around to reinforce, although at the end of their ally's life... still better than nothing

Is there anyway to force the attackers to deploy infront of the settlement only? this is for 1(or 2) defenders v2(or more) attacker scenarios.. since the amount of one urukai army stack does not quench my LotR cinematic thirst. From my little experience (i'm no modder, nor experienced with any programming... i just love.. games), dragging the defenders' deployment zone to cover the settlement and the bottom half of the map didnt change anything.. the attacking ai still awkwardly spawned on the giant slanted hills behind the hornburg..

if someone has accomplished this feat... can you pretty PLEASE upload the modified hornbug map files... i need my swarming urukai dose