Thread: Question for Lusted

dvk901's Avatar Consummatum est
    Patrician

Default Question for Lusted

Since you had such great success changing faction names in ver 4, I'd appreciated your guidance. I've tried again and again to change faction names...sometimes very simple, like changing the Brutii surname to
    'Justin' or 'Justinian'...following the tutorials on this site step by step in changing name.txt, descr_names.txt,
    descr_names_lookup.txt and strat. But every doggone time I get a 'can't find child' error and then it advises
    me to put an 'end' in the relative section of strat. Duh, I go look there and there are 'end's in all the right places as far as I can see. This has happened every time so that I give up for a while before being humbled again in trying. Any clues what I'm doing wrong or am I missing something? Are the tutorials on this site right or not? I find that sometimes they apply to RTW 1.2 stuff and don't really say so. Just wondering, and thanks.

Lusted's Avatar Look to the stars

Default Re: Question for Lusted

Well in descr_strat.txt, have you renamed all the brutii characters with Justinian at the end?
    Creator of:
    Lands to Conquer Gold for Medieval II: Kingdoms
    Terrae Expugnandae Gold Open Beta for RTW 1.5
    Proud ex-Moderator and ex-Administrator of TWC from Jan 06 to June 07
    Awarded the Rank of Opifex for outstanding contributions to the TW mod community.
    Awarded the Rank of Divus for oustanding work during my times as Administrator.

Patrician

Yep, basically, I changed it to look sort of like the below:

character_record Cassius Justinian, male, command 0, influence 0, management 0, subterfuge 0, age 14, alive, never_a_leader
    character_record Titus Justinian, male, command 0, influence 0, management 0, subterfuge 0, age 10, alive, never_a_leader
    character_record Cornelius Justinian, male, command 0, influence 0, management 0, subterfuge 0, age 7, alive, never_a_leader
    character_record Oppius Justinian, male, command 0, influence 0, management 0, subterfuge 0, age 3, alive, never_a_leader
    character_record Galla, female, command 0, influence 0, management 0, subterfuge 0, age 50, alive, never_a_leader
    character_record Hostia, female, command 0, influence 0, management 0, subterfuge 0, age 30, alive, never_a_leader
    character_record Lucilla, female, command 0, influence 0, management 0, subterfuge 0, age 28, alive, never_a_leader
    character_record Paulina, female, command 0, influence 0, management 0, subterfuge 0, age 12, alive, never_a_leader

relative Tiberius Justinian, Galla, Aulus Brutus, Amulius Brutus, Vibius Brutus, end
    relative Aulus Justinian, Hostia, Titus Brutus, Oppius Brutus, Paulina, end
    relative Amulius Justinian, Lucilla, Cassius Brutus, Cornelius Brutus, end

Then kept erroring, apparently, at 'Paulina', (that was the line number it gave), saying I had to 'end'.
    Well, there's only a couple ways to type 'end', and I knew backwards wouldn't work!!
    My strat file was different than this one (vanilla, basically)...but ? I was not certain, however, how to enter the name 'justinian' in names.txt. The tutorial said make a new line ie:
    {justinian} Justinian.......but then later on it said don't mess with the names in {},
    just change a name after one of them that you know isn't being used. So that's what I did.
    Right, wrong?

relative Tiberius Justinian, Galla, Aulus Brutus, Amulius Brutus, Vibius Brutus, end

You haven't changed the sons surnames to Justinian in this section. It should be:

relative Tiberius Justinian, Galla, Aulus Justinian, Amulius Justinian, Vibius Justinian, end
    relative Aulus Justinian, Hostia, Titus Justinian, Oppius Justinian, Paulina, end
    relative Amulius Justinian, Lucilla, Cassius Justinian, Cornelius Justinian, end
    Creator of:
    Awarded the Rank of Opifex for outstanding contributions to the TW mod community.

Patrician

OK, I see in your names.txt that you added the new names in, ie., {name} name...that's one mistake I made. As for the rest, could've been a typo or oversight. Just as an explanation of what I'm doing...I've downloaded and played (to some degree) almost every mod I could find, and very much appreciated the artistry and hard work of those who did them. Eventually, I decided to see if I could contribute something to this, but I wanted it to be something original that hadn't been done before (and still use the RTW 1.5 engine). So what I'm writing is basically a 'sequential mod' that will follow certain factions and win conditions (not all of them) thru time periods 280bc to 1000ad +. The idea is to chose a 'sequential faction', play its Provincial Campaign, and by fulfilling the win conditons, moving on to the next Provincial Campaign in the next set of years. I'm not a skinner, or very adept at computer art, but I can write up a storm and can make this game do a lot of things I haven't seen before. For instance, the particular Provincial Campaign I'm working on is from 476-700AD (thus, the Byzantine Era). Macedon, Greece, and Thrace have been converted to barbarian forms (Lombardi, Bulgars, Avars), and the Senate is now 'The Emperor'. No more 'Senate and the People of Rome', now it's 'The Emperor advises, demands, wishes, outlaws, rewards, etc.' Senate offices are 'Imperial Court' offices...and the Senate is now a faction to messed with at your own risk!! So basically I'm re-writing the whole game. For obvious reasons, your ability to add BI Barbarian buildings to the RTW 1.5 version intrigues me....I tried to add 'churches'...but, well, I won't go there. Just gotta dig out the problems.

Anyway, thanks for you quick answer

Well have you tried what you suggested because i can see what you are doing wrong. In the section of descr_strat code you posted:

Like i said all the brutus bits should be replaced with Justinian and it will work.
    Creator of: