Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The triumph of Cnaeus Cornelius Scipio

Default Re: The triumph of Cnaeus Cornelius Scipio

"That is correct, but I am thinking of later on, just as a precaution, as he may think of revolting and taking a large army, of course I might be too worried about the fall of the republic, but we cannot go back to the days of kings or emperors, I am only thinking for the good of Rome".
    Edit: OOC: oops just realised that it is in black sorry I thought it was in orange
    Last edited by removeduser_456323; January 16, 2012 at 03:54 PM.

Tazgrent's Avatar Ducenarius

"A true enough sentiment, I suppose. I wouldn't worry, though. Fortuna has a habit of striking down those whose ambitions overstep their reason."

Manius looked at the man who had tactfully pushed himself in between him and Cotta. He recognized the young man as a fiery speaker, an excellent debater. But he was born in the poorest and filthy shack a Roman could be born in, that made him filthy rabble. He looked at him with great disgust while he chatted with Cotta. When he spoke about posing an accident for Scipio, Manius finally spoke too. 'Senator, I trust that you will not openly plot to murder one of the truest sons of Mars in public? The man has been consul and has led our armies to victory and on top of that he is a patrician, you should show some respect. And if you really believe that our hero should deserve to have an accident I might as well call my lictors to have you arrested.' Manius smiled at the man. Stupid pleb.
    YATS: Manius Aquillius Tuscus, 46, Patrician

"Yet, he has decided to keep the senate waiting for the himself, I know you will be thinking that I am a stupid plebeian who does not deserve to be waited for, yet you from a famous family is kept waiting for a man who killed some stupid barbarians with the best soldiers in the world"

"If I were you, Senator, I would watch your tongue. A new man such as yourself has no right insulting the families of your betters."

This time Manius even bothered to turn his head towards the plebeian. There was fire in Manius eyes as he called the Punics mere barbarians. 'Barbarians? Senator, may I remind you of the fact that when you where filling your diapers in some stinking shack the feared Hannibal was on our very soil, occupying our very own cities. It would be an insult to Rome's soldiers by calling him a barbarian, only a brilliant general would have the ability to besiege Rome. Just thank the gods he never did.'

Maximinius almost hooted in delight of the outcome of the heated debate between the arrogant plebeian and the patrician and optimate."Another Pleb put back in his place, If it were my decision that fool would never have left the gutter."Maximinius thought to himself. he smiled and turned back towards where the processions would happen while secretly listening for any signs of an argument
    Last edited by Gandalfus; January 16, 2012 at 04:49 PM.

"Tiberius weren't you a Plebien yourself, as for you Tuscus, I wish to make no enemies, but where you or Scipio when Hannibal was invading Italy, was he protecting Rome? No, Hannibal had to rely on mercenaries for half of his army so it is no great achievement of Scipio's, most of the mercenaries were Gaulish, so no wonder he lost in the end. While you were being spoon fed everything and from when you were born your Pater had got you a spot in the senate, while I had to work incredibly hard to get to the position I am in now, yet your Pater only had to raise 1 finger and you were in "
    Last edited by removeduser_456323; January 16, 2012 at 04:51 PM.

"Such is the reward of dignitas, Citizen. The families of Tuscus and I, while we are of different rank, are some of the most storied and prestigious in the Republic. We have seats in the Senate because the very blood of our forefathers has been soaked into the foundations of the Republic. What would a base-born cur like you know of the honor and prestige that a true Roman house holds!?"

Maximinius could contain himself no longer. "Sorry to interrupt senators, but may I remind you Quintus that the Gauls, while savage, may not be underestimated. Didn't a Gaul once sack Roma itself? Something that even Hannibal failed to do? I also advise you to pay your respects to the families who have a more prestigious history than your own! So as to avoid getting humiliated or making enemies." after appologising to Tuscus and Cotta for his outburst, Maximinius was satisfied, and wandered back to his own spot opposite the temple of jupiter.

"Excuse me Tiberius, but I believe you are a plebeian, so you do not have this deluded sense of honour which most arrogant Patricians have, I have had enough of this there is no point speaking to idiots and with that Quintus walked off.

OOC: that was a pretty epic debate, there should be new additions to the classics, I hope this gets added if they do

Manius tightened his fists as the poor filthy plebeian kept insulting him. He had a hard time controlling his anger, a man of his status could not punch a fellow senator in his face during a triumph, no matter what. He remained silent as the cocky pleb walked away. Before Cotta could shout or follow him he grabbed his arm and turned to him. 'Let him go. We will deal with him later. Or I can call my lictors and arrest him for plotting the assassination of Scipio. You choose.'

Cotta jerked against the arm once, then stopped. His nostrils were flaring, his brow an incredibly contorted mass of lines. "No, no... this is a triumph. Let's not ruin the day. That little one is not worth the effort. But so help me gods, if he ever so much as says a word to me out of line again, I will do everything in my power to destroy him and his ilk."

Quintus gave a sigh of relief, he had been treading dangerous waters and regretted what he said, but it was too late and now he had made an enemy.

Merula's Avatar Campidoctor

Merula, having watched proceedings from afar with an ever growing smile of amusement casually strolls over to Cotta after the fiery senator had fled the area, he claps his hands drolly, Bravo Senators! Putting the new men in their place that is what i like to see, ha! I dont know how long he will last in the Curia with such an angry loose tongue! He chuckles, I know of this Flavius actually, from the bottom of the Aventine hill no less, his father used to come and ask favours of my family when they were short of bread. It makes you think what the world is coming to when the start letting such crude creatures into the hallowed halls eh?

Elendil of Númenor's Avatar Campidoctor

As the encounter between the young plebeian and the high patricians became more and more heated, a soldier slowly appeared near the senators. He had something to say, but seeing the senators trading verbal blows made him stop in his tracks, his eyes dancing from one person to the other nervously. Finally, when the plebeian senator left, he took up the courage to make a small sound – something between a cough and a small sound.
    “Ahem.”
    Then, as no one really noticed him, he closed his eyes and shouted,
    “Senators!”
    He blushed at the questioning looks. No wonder he was afraid, after he saw what these did with that man. Even this soldier could inconveniently notice how foolish the young senator was. The guard hardly had the bravery to open his mouth. Obviously, a raw recruit. Furthermore, he seemed to have no idea, what he wanted to say. All the real soldiers were on campaign, or coming home with Scipio. These guards were nothing better than the rabble still forced to remain at the sides of the street.
    “Um, I – I” the poor thing tried, “I – I just wanted to say...” at this point he looked as if all he wanted to say would be 'please, do carry on with your debate!', but being a Roman, and Romans being a naturally courageous people, he summed up all his strength and said, “We are perfututum if Scipio doesn't show up soon – we can't hold this merda for long!”
    While he said that, he gestured back at the mob. Indeed, things were getting more and more tense by the minute. The small number of militia could barely hold together the original joyous but by now really impatient crowd. Of course, when the unfortunate young soldier met the wide eyes of his audience and realized the problem with his choice of words...
    Blushing an even deeper crimson, he blurted out, “My, er, my centurion sent me – Praetor, please, do something if – you – can!”
    He bowed, tripped, jumped back a few steps from the place they were standing – amazingly enough, he managed not to fall, swirled around, nearly spinning off balance again and ran away, back to his post in the lower Forum.

ooc: I'm not perfectly sure if the latin obscenities are grammatically correct, but you get the picture.

The guard had a lot of guts walking up to him like that. Manius could see the fear in his eyes, finally a pup that knew his place. He ignored Merula and waved to one of his lictors. 'Marcus, one of the guardsmen just noted that the rabble is causing a bit of a stir with the few guards we have. This is not Roman order anymore. Sent Gaius up front to inform where our dearest triumphator is and when, by the gods, he will finally arrive. Of course explicitly let him mention the praetor requested this. And you yourself will go to the centurion of the guards and demand more men for some good old riot control.' The lictor nodded. 'Understood, sir.' He sprinted away, trying to avoid other senators. He yelled at the other lictor and together they disappeared in the human mass. Manius sighed. Filthy rabble.
    Last edited by Kubrick; January 16, 2012 at 05:27 PM.

Maximinius grew bored of waiting, and stretched his neck to see the vast sea of plebs. He sighed, took out a text and began reading, much to the annoyance of others.

"Manius, if Scipio doesn't arrive, we might have ourselves quite a situation. I suggest you send some lictors and get our families to my country estate, a few miles south on the via Appia."

Outside the gates, a thick layer of dust rises from behind the more distant hills. The plebs gathered on the walls could see it, and the word began to spread among the crown.

"He's here! Scipio and the legions!"

The crowd yelled, screamed with joy, and soon, the conicern's horns began to resonate. The marching troops emerged behind the dust, and before they knew it, standards, Roman helms and shields, worm by seemingly endless line of soldiers. Formed in maniples, the troops marched with great precision. Ahead of them, a magnificent chariot with golden ornaments arrived, and on it, Scipio led the horses trough the gates, a olive crest adorning his head.

The plebs screamed and marveled at him, wishing to touch his chariot. The women extended their arms to feel his purple toga.

"Africanus! Africanus!" becaume a constant choir, as the soldiers on the sides worked the hardest to keep the mob from the general.

The soldiers behind him were not unoticed at all, all women greeted them, throwing flowers and olive branches on the floor, even a few managed to get a kiss from a rather happy legionaire, before she was forced behind the wall of soldiers. A few lines behind, a soldier cried with joy upon seeing his mother and sisters behind the soldiers, breaking his formation and holding them, before his sense of duty forced him to return to the formation.

As the caravan moved deeper into the city, the plebs pushed closer and closer, tightening the area to the minimum space needed between the returning heroes and the crowd. In some cases, the soldiers who separated them gave up, and retreated fearing being smashed. Sooner than they had expected, Scipio was close enough to see the Temple's facade, from there, the Senators could finally see the parade, and undoubtedly shared their comments on the reaction of the plebs, and the size of the Triumph.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast