Thread: Domus Aquilii Tusci

Default Domus Aquilii Tusci

The domus of the Aquilii Tusci is one of the oldest mansions on the entire Palatine. But even though it's age it is still impressive, both in size and decorations. The foundations of the mansion where constructed on order of Gaius Aquillius Tuscus, consul in 267 AUC and vanquisher of the Hernici. And now, more than 200 years later, his own blood still live in this mansion.

The old and luxurious domus has several inhabitants. The paterfamilias Manius Aquillius Tuscus, his wife Postumia and their children Lucius and Aquillia. Further there is an impressive collection of slaves, Greeks, Africans, Celts and even Romans who had been forced into slavery due to large debts. The atrium is decorated with busts of Manius his ancestors, an impressive row of former consuls and censors.

History

Manius Aquillius Tuscus was born in the summer of the year of the consulate of Buteo and Bulbus, 509 AUC. He was raised on the Palatine and taught by a Greek mentor who sparked his interest in philosophy and history. Manius continued studying until just before he turned 22. Then he received a position as military tribune, thanks to the influence of his father, under command of consul Nepos during the Gallic War. There he quickly made a name for himself. Even though he was green and young he showed great valiance and skill in battle. For the next 13 years he would serve in the military, until the disaster at Herdonia where proconsul Gnaeus Fulvius Centumalus Maximus was defeated by Hannibal. Manius was the only surviving tribune and returned home. There he rested for a whole year before he took up another family tradition, politics. Aged 36 he became a senator in the Roman Senate. And to this day he still is one.

Character

Many people have named him to be a true Roman and Manius himself will gladly agree to that. And in most ways he is the perfect Roman. A patrician, a veteran, a patriot, distrustful of foreigners, fiercely religious and a family name that holds great prestige. Within the Senate he is deeply conservative, he fights for the rights of the superior patricians and against those of the inferior plebeians. He believes no foreigners should live within the walls of Rome other than slaves. And he truly believes that Romans are the greatest people on this world and that nothing can stand in the way of the Republic. But to make his image of a true Roman complete, Manius is often found in temples dedicated to Mars and Jupiter, bringing many offerings to these gods. But of course he is also a mortal man, trying to become even wealthier, improving his grip on the senate and hiding his only secret. You can often find him in public places and feasts, trying to expand his circle of connections. Last but not least, the Tusci fund a bathhouse or brothel once in a while too so he will also retain some sort of popularity with the lower plebeians.

Name: Manius Aquillius Tuscus
    Social class: Patrician

Family

Manius Aquillius Tuscus (46)

Postumia of the Postumii (40)

Lucius Aquillius Tuscus (20)

Aquillia of the Aquilii (16)
    Last edited by Kubrick; January 31, 2012 at 03:07 AM.
    YATS: Manius Aquillius Tuscus, 46, Patrician

Merula's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Domus Aquilii Tusci

OOC: Change Mania Aquillius to Mania Aquillia

Dont worry, will change this to a visiting post or something

EDIT: Below, very true sorry half right i guess haha
    Last edited by Merula; January 11, 2012 at 11:05 PM.

Tazgrent's Avatar Ducenarius

OOC: Actually, her name would be just plain Aquillia, nothing more. The second daughter would be Aquilliua Secunda, and so forth.

A slave of Iberian descent appears at the door. "Good sir, my master wishes to call upon you if you will have him."

The slave who opens the door recognizes the man as one of Cotta's slaves. There was a house rule stating that Cotta was always welcome so the slave opens the door widely. 'Dominus will be awaiting your master, I believe he is in the garden.'

About an hour later, Cotta enters the villa, and makes his presence known to his friend.

Manius stares at the piece of parchment in front of him. It's a detailed autobiography about a freedman from Greece, started with everything and then lost it all but managed to become even more richer afterwards. A fascinating tale but Manius was not reading any of it, he was stuck in his own thoughts. He was stuck at Herdonia, that Punic beast had pulled his oldest trick on them, their armies separated. The bloodshed, the chaos. The presence of Cotta however, pulled him out of his dark thoughts. His depressing face immediately sprung into a wide smile. 'Tiberius! Good to see you, sit down, sit down. What brings you here?' He snapped his finger, a slave reacted and quickly brought another goblet and filled it with wine.

Tiberius takes a seat and sips his goblet at wine, reveling in his friend's exquisite taste. "Not simply for pleasure, I'm afraid. I fear I may have just lost an election because of that stunt Caepio pulled. Now I think we may have a populist in the tribunate."

Manius puts the piece of parchment away, he takes a small sip of wine and looks at Cotta. 'Most.. Unfortunate. That Diocletianus fellow could be a potential threat to our interests, Tiberius. My little birds whisper he does it all for the people, so no chance of bribing this one either. Luckily I had no opposition while running for praetor.' Manius chuckles, he had used influence and gold to persuade others to not run for the same position. 'I also heard the position of quaestor is empty, why don't you have a throw at it? A firm grip on finances would be satisfying.'

Tiberius scratches at a his face, finding a missed patch of stubble. He would have to have words with his barber. "I had considered that very thing. No Quaestor is something that I'm not sure there's a precedent for. I'm not sure what I could get done with Diocletianus pandering do the plebs and vetoing anything with a modicum of sense."

Manius nods. 'But too many vetos would cost him his turn at the next elections. And, dear friend, we can always try to get something done. Not much helping ourselves and the glory of the Republic while we sit here discussing some low class rabble!' He ended his outburst with a slam on the table.

Tiberius takes a casual sip of his wine. "Not much to be done now anyways until the session opens officially. Until then there's nothing much we can do except plot and scheme like old women. Unless you'd like to discuss our other matter, then one we talked about in Hispania. Perhaps in a more private locale?"

Manius looked up and snapped his fingers. A slave came and refilled his goblet. 'Ah yes, our glorious mission to improve the situation in this beautiful city.' When the slave was finished filling the goblet Manius spoke to him. 'Take our goblets, we are moving to my office. Inform Caius we do not wish to be disturbed under any circumstances.' The slave just nodded and took both goblets. Manius stood up and gestured towards the insides of the domus. 'After you.'

CK23's Avatar Campidoctor

A man arrived at the home of the Patrician Senator and current Praetor Manius Aquillius Tuscus he carried an ornate box and knocked on the door of the Senator. The man had hoped that Senator was home and not at the Curia, it was a delivery that was for the Senator directly.
    Rabble rousing, Pleb Commander CK23

An elder slave opened the door, with a Greek accent he speaks to the man. 'State your business, stranger.'

"This is for your master, please give it to him immediately." The man handed the box to the slave and nodded. "Immediately please."

The slave grunts as he grabs the box, as soon as he turns around the door is slammed in front of the man. With a quick step the elder slave hastened towards his master. He knocked at the office door, already out of breath. His master answered. 'What?' 'A package, dominus, quite a nice looking box. Just delivered for your eyes only, told me there was haste behind it.' A loud sigh came out of the office. 'Very well, enter.' The slave entered, bowed and handed the box over to his master. Manius raised an eyebrow as he observed the small box. He placed it on the desk, observed it for a couple of seconds. Before opening it he checked if there was any trickery involved, he had made enemies in the years. No need to be poisoned in his own house. After assuring himself the box was no danger he opened it.

The opened box revealed a letter stamped with the seal of the Naevii. Inside the box a capped jug of wine with the seal of the Naevii family, a golden encrusted Iberian sword and a moderate sized satchel filled with gold. A letter rested on top of the satchel; the letter read:

Senator Manius Aquillius Tuscus,

It has come to my attention that your friendship with the Senator Tiberius Aurelius Cotta has extended more than friendship. Aligning yourself with a Plebeian who believes to be a Patrician is not wise and will not grant you the favor of the Plebeian Council, as exemplified by the recent election he is not at all popular within the Council and a few like minded Plebeians share his sentiments. I have heard many things about you and you are for sure intelligent I propose that instead of patronizing someone who yields little favor with the people. I suggest that you align yourself with someone more popular.

Signed,
    Faustus Naevius Diocletianus

Manius' eyebrow raised higher and higher as he dug through the things within the chest. A sword, wine, gold. And a letter. He opened it and read it. He was amazed at the guts this pleb had, how dared he give him all this stuff and ask him to break away from his closest associate. Support of the council be damned, even that nice sword couldn't tempt him to be nice to a plebeian populist that deals with filthy rabble on a daily basis. He put the stuff back in the box and closed it. Corrupt he may be, but only bribes from patricians! 'Dionysus, deliver this casket to the house of that Naevii populist, the pleb hugger. Tell him thanks but no.' The Greek slave bowed and took the box, making his way to the house of the tribune.

Manius also left his office, when Cotta would hear of this!

A letter is delivered to you by a slave.

"My dear friend Tuscus,
    Things have begun to drag on in the Senate and I find myself growing bored. Would you perchance like to join me in my domus tonight for dinner?

Friendly tidings,
    Cotta