Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aventine Domus of Numerius Sextius Caepio

Nota''s Avatar Campidoctor

Default Aventine Domus of Numerius Sextius Caepio

Name: Numerius Sextius Caepio
    Class: Plebian

Numerius has just returned from Iberia having attempted to make a fortune from Rome's new conquest. This didn't go well, the famed metals were not so easy to obtain and the locals were decidedly uncooperative, Numerius was soon back on a boat to Italy, having tread on a few toes and made a few enemies to break even.

Having quit the Senate before his expedition (merchant activities being prohibited for senators) Numerius intends to rejoin via the position of Tribune of the Plebs, as there has been a lack of stiff competition of for the post in recent years. If that fails, he shall join via more traditional means.

Numerius is not a particularly intelligent man, but he should not be taken for a fool. While being firmly in favour of granting equality to the plebeians he is quick to quote outdated laws to support his arguments.

Numerius' father was a small-scale merchant on the Aventine and lived to the age of 57 before being taken by the gods. Numerius has one married sister, a daughter and a son born of his wife Vibia, and an illegitimate younger daughter.

Tazgrent's Avatar Ducenarius

Default Re: Aventine Domus of Numerius Sextius Caepio

There is a polite knocking at the door. When you open it, you notice a slave of apparently Spanish descent, with a placard around his neck reading "Sinon, property of Tiberius Aurelius Cotta." "Grand sire, my master wishes to pay you a respectful visit at a time of your choosing. Would you like to send him back an answer?"

Caepio had only just got back from his little speech at the council to be rudely called back to the outside rule by a slave. A spanish slave no less, of all the damned slaves he could have sent he sends an Iberian? I've had enough of their hideous faces to last be a life time!
    Tell your master he may visit after sunset, for I have work to do at the moment. Now begone!
    The truth was Caepio had no work to do, for he had not technically gained entry to the senate yet, yet he felt saying he had work would make him look more important to this man he had just slandered. And besides it wouldn't do for a man of the people like myself to be seen cavorting with Cotta in daylight.

A well dressed man presents himself at the door by torchlight. "I suppose the hour is a bit rough, but I'm happy to pay a visit to such an esteemed colleague."

Good evening Senator. What may I ask brings you to my abode today?
    Caepio stares at Cotta awaiting a response.
    I suppose you'll want to come in then...
    Caepio leads the senator to his study, where he poors a goblet of wine for himself. He takes a seat and resumes his stare.

Cotta takes a goblet and a seat. As he sips the wine, he ponders the strange fact that a senator of such standing would have wine as poor as this. I believe you know why I am here, Senator. It's not often one can face the man who cost him an election. However, I think that we can work past any enmity and come to a mutually beneficial conclusion."

Caepio swilled the wine around the goblet, looking deeply into it, wondering whether he had left it too long and it was becoming vinegar. It did taste a tad sour.
    What exactly do you have in mind Cotta? I would have thought our political ideals are a little too different for us to compliment each other.

"Because, dear Capeio, I know that while we may differ on a few points, you are at heart not a base-born populist. That's why, when I run again for Tribune next year, you and your clients are going to support me. Who would you rather have in the Tribunate: A cool headed maintainer of the status-quo who won't push any buttons or ruffle any feathers, or some unknown quantity who may break the foundation of the Republic itself?"
    Last edited by Tazgrent; January 15, 2012 at 04:01 PM. Reason: grammar

Well perhaps Senator, we need a few feathers ruffled? Perhaps things need to change. You can guarentee but one thing if you are elected, no progression in the interest of the plebs. Well thats what I've heard of you. Pray do tell me if your reputation is an unfounded one.

Caepio took another sip of wine, still wondering why Cotta visited. He did not honestly expect to make an ally out of him did he?

Cotta smirked to himself. "I am unaware of any previous reputation. I'm just a simple Roman trying to make his way through the halls of our sanctified Senate. I will do what I must to preserve the glory of our Republic, Senator, and I do hope you will do the same. Now, if you don't mind, the hour is a bit late and I really should be going." Cotta stands to leave.
    Last edited by Tazgrent; January 15, 2012 at 04:37 PM. Reason: grammar

Caepio stays seated, waving hand to a slave to show the Senator out.

Cotta takes the time to turn one more slightly odd smiles at Caepio before turning, and finally making his way out the door.

CK23's Avatar Campidoctor

Diocletian had arrived at the home of Numerius Sextius Caepio, a Senator who had declared his support for Diocletian in the Plebeian Councils vote for the Tribune. Diocletian arrived with a bottle of wine and a decent sized satchel which contained a significant sum of gold in case things did not go the way he intended. Diocletian knocked on the door and put on his cheerful personality.
    Rabble rousing, Pleb Commander CK23

Who the **** is that at this time? thought Caepio as he put down the scroll he was reading,although the subject of ancient roman laws was not riveting.
    The slave who opened the door shows Diocletianus in to the study. Seeing who the badly timed guest is Caepio feverantly beckons to the slave, and whispers in his ear: Quick, fetch the finest wine we have, and clear the left over vinegar that I had the misfortune of consuming. Caepio had not noticed that his guest had already brought wine.

Greetings tribune! What brings you here?
    This is a very important man, who could get me far, best be diplomatic Caepio.

"Senator Caepio, I truly hate to intrude at this hour but I fear that it is a possibility that the position of Tribune of the Plebeians may be in danger in future elections." Diocletian unwrapped a jug which carried some of the finest Roman wine he'd ever tasted. "I brought you this wine, it was made personally by my father before he pasted I believe that such an occasion warrants it." Diocletian smiled as he presented the bottle of wine to the Senator, Diocletian was sentimental especially of his father who had taught him practically everything he'd known.

Quintus unaware that Diocletianus was there, he went up to Caepio's door and knocked on it.

Caepio waves away the slave who had come bearing the requested wine, then takes the wine presented to him.
    Danger? You speak of Cotta? I say the only danger is of him rigging the votes again! Surely no sane plebeian would vote for him, yet last election saw some of the council decidedly Patrician in their tastes. No, I think as long as not too many true plebs run for Tribune, thus dividing the votes, he can be kept out of office. Perhaps we could organise the Council so as to only present one or two viable candidates for Tribune each year? Two real candidates and the votes would only be split twice, thus insuring no 'radicals' disgrace us. What are your thoughts?

Caepio motions to the slave to answer the door, while looking intently at Diocletian for an answer before a possible intrusion.

"Well, I can only run once again and I believe that the majority of the Council is in my favor, it is indeed obvious that some of the Council believes that closer ties with the Patricians can help the Republic but I believe they are just under the spell of power for them. I have a meeting with the portion of the Plebeians who voted for him...I believe I can open their eyes." Diocletian had taken a seat across from Caepio and sat forward. "Caepio, if he succeeds the Plebeians will lose everything they have fought for, I do not believe that is in the best interest of the Republic."

Quintus slowly walked in, then realised that Diocletionus was here"sorry should I go? "

Caepio was not sure if Diocletian agreed with his idea, or even if the idea had taken root in the young Tribune's mind. Still, this can only benefit me, surely it would not be so hard for a man of his stature to get the Council to agree, no doubt the old adage, 'stronger united' will be thrown around a lot. And of course, as the suggester of this idea Diocletian would be almost bound to allow him to take one of the places.
    Caepio is shaken from thought by Quintus' entrance.
    Not at all dear fellow, after all you came this far, why the very gods would be insulted if I sent a fellow pleb from my door without so much as a greeting!
    Caepio pours himself and Diocletian a goblet each of the tribune's fine wine, leaving a third goblet empty. A confidence test of sorts, to see if the new man was as passive as he appeared.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast