Thread: Domus Naevii

CK23's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Domus Naevii

Faustus Naevius Diocletianus
    Plebeian - 32 years old
    Quote Originally Posted by Domus Information
    Faustus had inherited his family’s domus when his mother had finally passed away after his father’s death years ago. Faustus is an only child and is currently a bachelor and enjoys the thrill and company of various women something that has earned him a playboyish reputation but one that he finds entirely hearty. The domus has undergone a serious renovation to include a wing for Plebeians that do not have a stable home or find themselves entirely homeless. Faustus had sworn off slaves and uses a rotating staff of Plebeians who come and earn a handsome pay and allows them to establish themselves again some of them have gone on and become very wealthy and many of them pay Faustus back with interest for his efforts in securing their future.
    Quote Originally Posted by History
    Faustus served as one of the ten tribunus militum of the legions that defend Roma against the Punics in Italy. Faustus only rotated into the position of commanding the legion once as he found himself among the common soldiers fighting on the frontlines, this earned him much praise and reputation among the Plebeian and Patrician soldiers but earned him little respect of his colleagues who were mainly Patrician tribunus militum. Faustus served in many engagements namely at the River Trebia in 218 BC and Trasimene in 217 BC. Faustus earned a grueling reputation at the Battle of the River Trebia where he was found executing Punic prisoners who had attempted to escape Roman capture, though a common practice many of the soldiers were surprised that he would partake in such a violent activity though throughout the war Faustus had become more and more bloody and the soldiers under his command often reveled in their commanders lust for battle.

Faustus returned along with hundreds of other who had distinguished themselves during the war and and was ask to partake in the Concilium Plebis or the Plebeian Council the popular assembly that was for the people. Faustus had never had patience for politics but being as ambitious as he was obliged the the soldiers who he had served with and immediately began a name for himself as a champion of people, often heckled by patrician senators as the “Peoples Warrior”. The name stuck and Faustus used it often jokingly when attacking the often Patrician-dominated Senate and the overall aristocratic nature of the Republic. Faustus realized that in order to have a larger influence on the Republic and its direction he sought to become a member of the Senate and in the waning days of 202 BC he declared his candidacy for the office of Quaestor he eventually obtained Senatorial status after being elected to the Senate as a Quaestor in 201 BC. In 200 BC after achieving the status of Senator he return to the Plebeian Council with much more influence and political clout and announced his candidacy for the position of tribunus plebis or Tribune of the Plebeians.

Faustus had received information that two others were running Numerius Sextius Caepio and Tiberius Aurelius Cotta both of them being Plebeians who served as Quaestors and tribunus militum during the Second Punic War. Faustus was initially bitter that they would run against them but realized that the honor and respect among soldiers was not found in the personality of Roman politics and immediately set out to gaining support among the Plebeians and the few Equestrians whom he had befriended along his military career. Faustus in early 200 BC received support from Numerius Sextius Caepio for the office of Tribune, he was unaware that such honor existed among politicians and sent Caepio a sword that he had taken off a dead Punic officer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Personality
    Faustus aligns himself with the militarist faction within the Senate, currently the faction itself has little influence but the influence of the faction is growing due to the large number of soldiers returning from service in Iberia and Northern Rome. Faustus is a well-known populist and refuses to align himself with the two prominent political factions known as the optimates and the populares even though he tends to lean towards the populares in most cases but refuses to officially join the faction.
    Last edited by CK23; January 12, 2012 at 09:59 PM.
    Rabble rousing, Pleb Commander CK23

Default Re: Domus Naevii

Herrenius arrived to Neavius's home, knocked, and waited for someone to get the door.

Diocletian had been home and heard the knock at the door, he smiled as he motioned for one of his workers who had reached for the door. Diocletian opened the door and saw an unfamiliar face. "Hello. How can I help you..?"

The Greek slave had walked past the rostra on his way to the house of the tribune, he had stopped for a while to listen at the fiery debate between Cotta and Diocletian and walked away when he heard the tribune mention that his master had fallen on 'hard times'. Yet another insult from that populist! Even the Greek slave thought he was scum, everyone knew his master was a man of great dignitas and wealth. His old legs carried him as fast as they could.

At the house of Diocletian he knocked firmly at the door, he looked arrogant at the man who opened the door and gave him the box.
    'Tell your master thanks but no! The praetor's family is doing fine without these filthy briberies!' He swiftly turned and stepped away quickly on his worn old legs.
    Last edited by Kubrick; January 17, 2012 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Typo.
    YATS: Manius Aquillius Tuscus, 46, Patrician

Calpurnius arrived at the domus Naevia, viewing the heated exchange between the two men he passed the slave as he retreated from the house paying him no heed. There were many in Rome in the debt of paymasters, some of them even amongst the Senate, it would not colour his view of the man he was about to meet. Calpurnius had a habit of stepping back from the events of reality, some would say he was off with the fairies, he felt that he was ingraining himself closer with the gods.

Hold the door and let your master know that Marcus Calpurnius Bestia comes to visit as requested! he shouted to the slave at the door, with a voice surprisingly strong for one of his age.
    YATS NAME: Marcus Calpurnius Bestia - 52 [Plebeian]

Diocletian had been returning to his Domus as he saw Senator Calpurnius at his door. "Ah...Senator Calpurnius!" Diocletian gestured grandly and happily. "Please come in." Diocletian paid no attention to the greek slave who passed him and gave him a dirty look. "I had heard much about you and wanted to meet you personally outside the halls of the Curia." Dicoletian showed the Senator into his home and asked if he wanted some wine.

Heard what exactly Tribune? Calpurnius smiled enquiringly, Not the back bench gossip that floats around our hallowed halls I hope! Those whispers can tear a man's reputation into tatters. As for the wine, I must politely refuse you. I am prone to keeping a clear head at meetings such as these, wine I allow myself only upon special occasions. Water will do just as well if it is all the same to you. As Calpurnius was led through the halls of the house he noticed it was particularly busy even for a man of Naevius' position. Men and women were seen entering and leaving through the door freely, though they looked like they were in difficult times they were not slaves, indeed some looked like they earned a comfortable wage. Ah! He thought to himself, these must be the occupants of the Tribune's famous, or some could say infamous, Plebeian accommodation. He continued to follow Naevius through the domus.

"I never grew up in vast amounts of gold Senator, I was quite poor before my father earned the amount of wealth he has now. Not to mention my campaigns in Iberia paid off very well." Diocletian brought Calpurnius to one of the private chambers in his domus where a Plebeian poured water for the Senator. "and no, I've heard good things about you from the people. We should speak of why you are here however, though I have many allies within the Plebeian Council I have very few in the Senate and if you had overheard my speech at the rostra...I highly doubt that I will be gaining many any within the Senate." Diocletian chuckled as he sat back, visibly tired. "I'm not asking for you to bend over backwards or go against whatever beliefs you have but perhaps we can work together on securing the future of the people as the rightful rulers of the Republic."

Perhaps the man who has only recently come in to money would have trouble fighting the desire to throw it around? Calpurnius chuckled, Do not take offence, it does not matter to me what you do with your coin or what you do not do for that matter. It's an earthly thing of small interest to me. I know what you said upon the Rostra, the gist of it at least these things can become warped and exaggerated as they pass from person to person. I look around your domus and it is clear that you care for the people in what you do for them. As for myself I have endeavoured to never appear too much on a certain side. The stigmatism that can come of that often renders one useless as a political force. Calpurnius sipped at the water, To ask me to go against my beliefs would be asking me to go against the gods and the Republic and I do not doubt that you would never ask such a thing. To that end I will watch your progress this term as Tribune, if I can support your actions then you may have my support in the future and with some luck whatever weight that my words carry, he smiled reassuringly. I am not oblivious to the plight of the lower classes, I see it most everyday. But for now this is what the gods have willed although that is not to say that we men here have in impact of this I am sure.

Tell me what do you hope to achieve in your lifetime Tribune?

Diocletian laughed and looked down at the ground, he had sat forward sometime earlier and intertwined his fingers and sighed. "Calpurnius...I do not think that I can answer that question right now. Whilst I am not the most pious man in Rome I do know that the gods have something planned for me and I dare not go against them by divining in the future as others have. I only seek to do my best to the People of Rome for they are the only thing that we have to rely on."

Senator Calpurnius arrived to speak with the Tribune