Thread: Eagle Standard, Volume X Issue V - Fall of the Samurai, Darthmod, and Third Age Mania!

Omnipotent-Q's Avatar All Powerful Q
    Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Default Eagle Standard, Volume X Issue V - Fall of the Samurai, Darthmod, and Third Age Mania!

The best Publication for Total War and Modding News!

Eagle Standard CONTENT INDEX
    (Do not scroll until specific post appears)

Shogun II
    Napoleon and Empire
    Medieval II
    Eras

Letter from Legio

Good morning, happy holidays, and an excellent New Year! I hope everyone has had a suitably tipsy celebration for at least one of the above, and, if not, that some quality liquor is making its way to your gullets. 2011 has been an excellent year. It was about a year ago that I was first offered the position of Editor of the Eagle Standard; since then it has been my pleasure to bring Total War Center the latest and greatest in modding and general Total War news. Unfortunately, all good things come to an end - if anyone denies that it was a good thing I shall give them the dirtiest of looks - and after this issue I am no longer going to be able to work on this publication due to university and other constraints from that inconvenience we know as "real life". A man who I hope readers will know and love - MorganH - is going to take the reins in the next issue. For now, however, he is in bed with the flu, but Belisarius and Omnipotent-Q have graciously agreed to help publish this special Holiday edition of the Eagle Standard. Praise them, rep them, and don't forget to check out the Member Awards that they've setup!

I hope that 2012 will be a truly magnificent year for everyone and recommend that you go to the shops to purchase a Kindle Fire. If not, then we have just the thing for you! Courtesy of Ishan we have some TOTAL WAR CENTER CLOCK GADGETS for your desktop! Grab them while you can!

Legio
    ES Editor

Last edited by Omnipotent-Q; January 10, 2012 at 09:18 PM.

Under the patronage of the Legendary Urbanis Legio - Mr Necrobrit of the Great House of Wild Bill Kelso. Honoured to have sponsored these great warriors for Citizenship - Joffrey Baratheon, General Brittanicus, SonOfOdin, Hobbes., Lionheartx10, Mangerman, Gen. Chris and PikeStance.

Default Re: The Eagle Standard, Volume X Issue V - Fall of the Samurai, Darthmod, and Third Age Mania!

Shogun 2 News
    Total War: Shogun 2 - Fall of the Samurai Announced
    Fall of the Samurai Details and Trailer

Fall of The Samurai Announced
    Sega has finally announced a standalone Total War: Shogun 2 expansion. Total War: Shogun 2 - Fall of the Samurai is set for a March 2011 release, and will not require Total War: Shogun 2 to play. Some of the features FotS boasts include:
    • Six new playable factions
    • Thirty-nine new land units - including the Gatling gun and Armstrong guns controllable in a new first-person mode.
    • Twenty-one new ships and ten new naval types include ironclads and steam-powered warships, kitted out with modern artillery.
    • The introduction of port sieges where the player must capture a harbour while ducking and diving fire from coastal defences
    • Expanded campaign map and a new conquest map
    • Improved siege battle mechanics, as well as new land and sea unit interactions
    • Four new historical battles
    • New western tech trees
    • Introduction of multiple avatars for Shogun 2 and Fall of the Samurai
    • Multiplayer 2.0 overhaul with a new Fall of the Samurai avatar including forty new retainers, thirty new armour pieces and a brand new 19th century avatar skill tree.
    • ...and many more new features including three new agent types - the Foreign Veteran, the Ishin Shishi and the Shinsengumi.

Japan is on fire with war, with its country and people divided. The country now faces a civil war between two eras, one of feudal old protected closely by the fierce Samurai that defended and fought for the Shogunate for a millennium with the utmost loyalty and discipline. Backed and supported by the Emperor and his countless legions of riflemen trained by American and European advisers, a re-emerging Imperial Japan hell bent on making everything modern and western stand against the Samurai. Will you take up the sword and risk it all to keep the way of the Samurai alive, or will you pick up the rifle and bring Japan into the twilight of the modern world in the quest to make it one of the world's greatest super powers?

Written by: madrush

Fall of the Samurai Screenshots

Click images to enlarge

Fall of the Samurai Boxart

How to Add an Ancillary - the Complete Guide

This tutorial by davidallen explains very clearly and concisely how to add an ancillary to Shogun II. Davidallen takes us through all the steps, and the tutorial is even accompanied by a screen shot and some sample code. However davidallen wrote this tutorial assuming you already have some familiarity with Pack File Manager. If you have not, don't worry you can always ask people about PFM over in the Shogun 2 Text Editing and Scripting forum.

Written by: The Dutch Devil

Adding New Clans

In this tutorial, Anton III gives us a crash course on how to add a completely new clan to Shogun II. Instead of the old clan swapping that he previously highlighted, he now explains how to add a completely new clan to the list of available clans in custom battles. He does stress that this only works for custom battles and not in campaign mode. Anton III has written down the list of things you need to change in enough detail to make it actually seem remotely easy as he takes you through all the steps that are required to build your own custom clan.

For instance, he will teach you how to tell Shogun II what banner it should use for your own clan, what rows to delete, where to add names and everything else you need to fashion your own clan. Now let's hope that Anton III or any other modder finds a way to add factions to the campaign map and we're good to go!

Tool: The Random Seed Changer

Daniu has released a very neat tool that allows you to change the random seed of any save game. Doing so effects the actions of the AI ever so slightly. The idea behind the Random Seed Changer is that anyone who has a saved game that freezes during the turn of the AI can use it to change the random seed value. Hopefully the AI then doesn't cause the game to crash once again. Daniu has never had the problem personally, so he doesn't know if the tool works. For that, he needs someone with the problem to test it and luckily (or sadly) so far no-one who checked the thread had that problem.

Tool : The TWReplay Browser

Ever saved a replay of your elite army beating a numerical superior army but when you check your replays a few days later you just can't find it anymore? Do not despair as daniu has created the perfect solution! The TWReplayBrowser lets you browse your replay folder and shows you who was fighting and with which army they were fighting. A newer version also shows the unit stats of the units involved, so you can see separate a rookie army from a veteran army. A member of the Shogun II multiplayer community already said that he's interested in the tool for their championships, which hopefully means more versions are coming!

Last edited by Omnipotent-Q; January 10, 2012 at 09:18 PM.

Under the patronage of the Legendary Urbanis Legio - Mr Necrobrit of the Great House of Wild Bill Kelso. Honoured to have sponsored these great warriors for Citizenship - Joffrey Baratheon, General Brittanicus, SonOfOdin, Hobbes., Lionheartx10, Mangerman, Gen. Chris and PikeStance.

Default Re: The Eagle Standard, Volume X Issue V - Fall of the Samurai, Darthmod, and Third Age Mania!

Empire and Napoleon: Total War News
    Darthmod Empire and Napoleon Mania!
    DarthMod Empire 7.0 for ETW

DarthMod Empire strikes back again with its newest release, 7.0. The latest additions by Darth Vader include further considerable improvements to the campaign and battle AI (both land and naval) through modification of the formations used by the AI. In my opinion, this provides the best AI available in Empire Total War. Not only is the computer capable of forming a solid battle line but now performing sneaky flanking attacks supported by cavalry!

Indian (AI) cavalry flank my British line, forcing the infantry to square formation (click image to enlarge)

As usual, Darthmod Empire 7.0 comes in two versions. The first is Darthmod 'lite' only includes the AI improvements for those who prefer the vanilla Empire experience. The second is of course Darthmod Ultimate Commander Edition, which includes not just Darths improvements, but a multitude of different submods providing graphical, audio and game play improvements compiled into an extremely functional launcher.

British Cavalry charge Indian infantry (click image to enlarge)

DarthMod Empire 7.0 provides an excellent experience giving Empire: Total War a complete overhaul. Click here for more information and download links for this mod.

Written by: Jedi1

Darthmod Napoleon 1.8 Released for NTW

The legendary mod series by Darth Vader, Darthmod, has returned to Napoleon: Total War! The latest instalment of his five part mod series has been a huge hit with the NTW community who seek a better singlepayer game. The most recent version, 1.8, offers a new and challenging AI, more realistic and challenging gameplay, and new battle formations that the AI will use to ruthlessly crush your armies! Features include:

• Aggressive, challenging AI for both battles and campaign
    • Better gameplay and battle mechanics
    • A less scripted and more free campaign
    • Up to 40 units in a single army!
    • Completely integrated NTF, which allows you to play any faction in the game
    • Better visuals (better smoke, blood, explosions, all without creating any more lag)
    • A launcher for ease of running
    • …and of course over 120 new units

A few screenshots of Darthmod Napoleon:

New stack sizes:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Smoke effects and visuals:

Written by: Crossjon

Darthmod Ultimate Commander 7.0 Interview with Darth Vader

Tell us about yourself, Darth.

I am 35 years old and I live in Greece. I have studied Mathematics and have passed up to now from many different fields of work: from sales to banking and from teaching to writing. Due to the financial crisis, things are difficult here right now. If it becomes worse I may consider to search for work in another country.

My interests include of course anything that has to do with computers and gaming, but I am also good at sports and especially in Basketball. I also like to work out often in the gym, to draw and I still play Chess in which I am really very good at it. Modding Total War games has become my favourite hobby because it requires creativity, communication and mental abilities and because I always loved battles with thousands of troops... so now not only I have the opportunity to play them but also to edit exactly how they play.

Let's move on to DMUC. It's a project that has been going on for years. Are you satisfied with Darthmod? Do you see Darthmod 7 as the end of the line or you would return to Empire in the future?"

I think with version 7.0 the circle is, almost, complete. DMUC offers so much more from the original game, especially in the gameplay sector, that finally I can relax and watch the fruits of my hard work and all of those who have contributed to the project. But, there will be another version, the Platinum, which will fine tune some aspects according to the feedback I got, like CAI for example. The real new thing will be the new launcher which will be improved and simpler. Tango12345 has the task to design and build it, and it will be ready in a few months according to Tango's available time. I barely have modding time to press the date sooner since I look after 3 mods simultaneously: DarthMod Empire, DarthMod Shogun and recently the brand new DarthMod Napoleon.

Finally, if I understand correctly, you ask me if I know how many downloads it gets per month... hmm... if I consider that the mod has, except the official download links, various unofficial mirrors around the internet, combining some Asian mirrors which are difficult to trace, and also the torrents... maybe 10.000 download per month. The fact is that only from moddb mirror, the latest version 7.0 had in 2 months about 15.000 downloads and the old DMUC v6.2 which it gets patched to v7.0 has 150.000 unique downloads (from September 2010 up to now).

Darthmod 7 brought with it some splendid formation changes. As a betatester since DMUC 5.5 I have to say that the BAI most of the time utilizes their army's power and it rarely makes tactical mistakes. But let's hear about that from you. What improvements do you think Darthmod 7 brought over the BAI compared to the (already good) BAI of DMUC 6.9?

The hard coded AI can not be touched but we modders can manipulate it sideways by the gameplay mechanics and the AI formations. The gameplay mechanics have been slightly improved comparing to the previous version of DarthMod Empire but with the addition of my special formations, the AI has finally been relieved from the heavily bugged formations of the official game. In short, the new system is homogenous, so the AI shifts from one instance to another without much changing of the formation so the units do not move around randomly but stay in position and musket. Furthermore, with certain techniques, I change the attack/defend offsets so that the AI chooses the right time to commence assault and the General is always at the back of the army and not suicidal (Only in reinforcement AI armies the General can still suicide...CA Bug.... but this will be corrected in the platinum version).

In the campaign map, we also see some important changes. Trade ships have been removed and now any ship is capable of acting as an Indiaman bringing money in from the trade theaters. How has that affected the campaign? Unless I'm mistaken, there are also changes in the CAI's preference on what technology to research and what technology to trade. Can you tell us more about that?

To analyse fully what has been changed in the Campaign AI it would require many words and much time. All I need to say is that it is, in short, better. It uses common sense. For example the AI will not assault a city before it has the proper manpower. AI Unit recruitment has more quality so the AI armies are more challenging for the human player. Diplomacy is more reasonable and not "berserker" as in the official game. If I had more tools in my hands, I would make it even better, but I am not a CA developer so I am very satisfied of what I have achieved in this sector.

There was something that I could not win however. I could not make the CAI to prefer more the warships than the trade ships. No matter how hard I tried it seemed to me hard coded. So I completely removed the tradeships from the game and have given the trade ability to all ships. Now ships go to trade areas to "secure them" and then the trade begins. This seems to me more reasonable as a game mechanic as well. Because we already see small trade ships to travel in the trade lines so what are these useless ships with no firepower do in these areas statically? Begone.

Darthmod has now ported to NTW. There are new updates practically every couple of days. How useful was the experience you gained from modding ETW in building NTW Darthmod? How many things were readily usable? What else do you plan to change in NTW?

My experience with DarthMod Empire allowed me to finalise the gameplay base of DarthMod Napoleon in one month... yes only one month. I knew exactly what to do and where, so what it remained was to fine tune according to the slightly different game engine. Currently DarthMod Napoleon is at version 1.7 (Until you publish this interview it will probably be updated again) and it has the philosophy of DMUC. It offers unique and realistic gameplay experience, together with new units and graphics, better sounds, fantastic effects designed by me and, finally, many campaign options designed by the master of the kind, husserlTW. I am very passionate about this project and I think everybody who will try it will get passionate with it as I am. Napoleonic era at its best... this is DarthMod Napoleon. FIRE!!!

Thank you for your time Darth. Anything else you would like to add?

Thank you also for your good questions. I just want to sum up: This year I realised how much consumed I am from Total War games. I like very much this disease and I hope I never get well. Wish me luck for my real life. May the force be with you.

Written by: alhoon

The Enlarged Regimental Flags Mod for ETW and NTW

The Enlarged Regimental Flags Mod is yet another fantastic modification from modding extraordinaire Primergy. This simple but awesome mod does exactly as it says on the tin, making those Regimental Flags larger and a lot more noticeable.

The mod has compatible versions for both Empire: Total War and Napoleon: Total War. If you are looking for more realistic looking battles then the Enlarged Flags Mod is a definite must!

Written by: Nosjack

Imperium Globale II for ETW

Imperium Global is back and better than ever with its latest release, Imperium Global II.

Imperium Global is mod for Empire: Total War, produced by Boicote that aims to represent the great colonial empires of the 18th century with more realism. IIn its first version, Portugal became a playable faction coupled with brand new units, and the addition of Brazil as its protectorate. Realistic flags for numerous nations became a hallmark, and the interface got a lick of paint with new loading screens and a logo. Several units were reskinned, Goa became a four slot city and Westphalia turned into the Palatinate of the Rhine.

Imperium Global II builds on these features adding yet more new units, Darth Vaders famous AI, new slick graphics and a launcher. The mod is ideal for those who do not want to depart radically from existing game play but seek improvements, especially those who wish to play Portugal. Grab those all important download details right here!.

Written by: Jedi1

Empire Realism III for ETW

Empire Realism 3 is another excellent mod by JaM that adds a whole new level of realism. The mod contains huge changes to unit movements, firing, and fatigue. Also packed in is an overhauled technology system and changes to campaign mechanics. Modifications to unit progression, with late game units using different weapons and tactics than from their 17th century counterparts are an additional feature.

The mod also includes a more realistic stealth system for units! No more will those Native Americans just slowly walk into a blazing wall of lead. Be prepared to fight unpredictable and surprising battles of stealth and deception.

If you're one of those dedicated Total War players that love realism on the battlefield, as well as in the campaign, then Empire Realism 3 is the mod for you!

Written by: Nosjack

Albtraum23UIModEmpire for 40 Units

Albtraum23 has released his 40 units cards per army mod. He used the esf editor to change the maximum number of units an army or city can hold. The player can now have a massive 40 unit cards in an army. The mod is still considered to be in beta but many have used it for hours without any problems.

For those players who find the unit cards a bit too small, Albtraum23 has kindly provided an alternative; somewhat larger unit cards so that 30 can fit in the interface:

So if you're looking to show your metal in a large scale epic battle for Empire: Total War, then look no further than Albtraum23UIModEmpire.

Written by: alhoon

Europe in Conflict 2.0 for NTW Released!

After over a year of development, Europe in Conflict 2.0 has been released! It features many of the things that made previous versions so popular, like an AOR system and a great AI. However in addition to those it has several new things in it, such as a complete overhaul of battle mechanics and diseases. These are changes that call for a rethink of campaign strategies, and force you to plan your conquest in a completely different way. But what does EiC 2.0 include I hear you sing?:

• An extensive AOR system encompassing every region in the game
    • A complete naval gameplay and mechanics overhaul
    • A manpower + supply system
    • Diseases
    • A very unique diplomacy overhaul
    • Rebalanced land combat mechanics
    • AI tweaks and improvements
    • Realistic campaigning
    • Sieges overhaul
    • New building chains and models
    • Recruitment of allied units i
    • Improved graphics, both in battle and on the campaign map
    • Overhauled recruitment systems
    • A fully automatic launcher and installer, with many optional submods included.

Here are a few screenshots of the new features:

Diseases:

New launcher:

Overall, Europe in Conflict creates one of the best singleplayer experiences for Napoleon: Total War, and the new features make campaigns fun again with the new AI and battle mechanics will strain you tactical skills. I highly recommend EiC 2.0 for anyone interested in a better NTW experience. So what are you waiting for? Give it a go yourself!

Written by: Crossjon

Last edited by Omnipotent-Q; January 10, 2012 at 09:22 PM.

Medieval II and Kingdoms News
    Release: Third Age : Total War 3.0
    Overview: Third Age : Total War 3.0 for MTWII - Kingdoms

Who amongst us has not heard of Tolkien’s the Lord of the Rings world and the epic stories that go with it? The Third Age : Total War is a masterpiece of a modification that allows you re-live one of the most turbulent times in Middle Earth history! In an age where good men, elves and dwarves set aside their differences to defeat the forces of the ever-evil eye that is Sauron and the his allies!

Will you play as Gondor and restore it to its former glory? Perhaps you will muster the Rohirrim of Rohan and defend your people and lands against relentless attacks from the white wizard Saruman’s fortress of Isengard? Who could rule out playing as the High Elves in a quest to secure a small but stable kingdom in Middle-Earth to house what little remains of the Elves? The possibilities are nearly endless with, the small but steady city-state of the Dale as an option to eliminate the Rhun threat!

If being good is not your cup of tea, you can also play as Mordor, and unleash your Orcs to callously slaughter everyone and everything that stands against you. If you are a fan of white beards and causing general misdemeanours, Isengard could be your best bet. Even the Southerners from Harad are an available choice, to loot and exploit Gondor's weak shore defences.

This breathtaking new instalment of the mod includes:

• Twenty-five new custom settlements including Minas Tirith, Isengard, the Hornburg, Dol Guldur and many more! All beautifully adapted from the famous film trilogy!
    • Tons of custom scripts to keep you constantly entertained throughout the campaign.
    • New Units, mercenaries, and cannon fodder to bolster your armies.
    • Two separate campaigns: A general campaign and "THE" Lord of the Rings campaign, where you must lead Frodo and his companions from the quiet shire to the barren wasteland that is the Plateau of Gorgoroth.

If you are already convinced, check out the official mod thread for download links and further information. If not, maybe the release trailer by MasterBigAb, or the screenshot gallery below will tickle the fantasy within you? This is a mod you do not want to miss!

Written by: SonOfOdin

Gallery: Third Age : Total War

Compiled by: Legio

Preview: Agon Rebirth of the Hellenes for MTWII

Everyone who loves the age of city state wars and the Persian invasions of Ancient Greece can sigh with relief. An ambitious team has taken upon the immense task of reviving an old mod from scratch. Their plan is to remake the never released 'Agon: Rebirth of the Hellenes' mod. As a gesture of respect to the old team, and as a thank you (because the new team got the mod folder from the old team) the new team also renamed their mod to Agon: Rebirth of the Hellenes.

As mentioned before 'Agon: Rebirth of the Hellenes' will center itself around 508BC. Not only will you want to go to war against other city states, you will also have to defend the Greek peninsula from the Persian invaders.You may even turn the tables and invade Greece as the mighty Persian Empire. The team tries to give the player challenging gameplay, but their focus will be on the graphics and the overall look and feel of the mod.

There already is a working and beautiful map, and there are already some city models completed. This has given the team more time to work on other things, such as the idea of a resource system they're planning on introducing. The idea is that every region has its own unique resource, which can be developed and used to improve your empire. Apart from making every faction unique, this will drastically change your campaign goals. Instead of chasing that one wealthy province, you now also have to keep in mind which resources you will need to advance even further.

Initially you'll be able to play as one of ten factions, but as the map will expand so will the faction list. The basic map, which is already working, although lacking extras like resources and ports, is beautiful. As a little cherry on top of the already delicious cake, the team have already released a trailer render (see above) of what appears to be a basic spear-unit for their next preview. This is definitely a mod we can’t wait for!.

Preview: Europa Barbarorum II - Taksashila (Mauryan Satrapy) for MTWII - Kingdoms

Europa Barbarorum II is a mod spanning from 272BC to AD14 aiming to accurately depict the barbaric factions from the period whilst not forgetting about the more civilized factions.

This preview focuses on a new faction in Europa Barbarorum II, the Taksashila. Described as a "centre of learning, culture, and commerce" the city of Taksashila is the birthplace of the Mauryan Empire. An Empire built on fragile family bonds to the point that the passing away of the old emperor is enough to make his sons at each other's throat. As if that is not enough, there will also be your neighbours who cannot wait to get their hands on some Taksashilan real estate. Luckily, the Taksashilas will field enough units to vanquish their foes.

Among other things the brand new faction symbol is unveiled, a beautiful golden Indian humped bull on a dark green background.

The units with which you'll be playing are diverse and beautiful, with the Taksashilas fielding a diverse variety of units. Generals with bright coloured coats, expensively dyed turbans and bejewelled armour, lead the grand armies of the Taksashilas. Moving down the pecking order, their officers come with lion skins on their back and sharp swords in their hands. Playing a supporting role are various sorts of standard-bearers ranging from levy soldiers to noble standard-bearers that inspire the troops and show off the might of the army.

As always, the Europa Barbarorum II team prepared an excellent preview for us, only heightening our expectations for Europa Barbarorum II. I'm sure that the mod will be as good as the previews make us believe.

Interview: Dragonborn: Total War for MTWII - Kingdoms

Dragonborn: Total War is a total conversion modification for MTW2 Kingdoms, set in a world of fantasy that took over a decade to create. We're lucky enough to be joined by Squeaks, the Team Leader of Dragonborn for this interview.

1. Let's start with you. Tell us about yourself!

Ooh. Uhm. Well, I have Squeaks as me name here...this is down to a nickname my friends gave me because I hate cameras - I squeak and run for it. Often I get away in time. Basically, I used to work in Graphic Design for the magazine publishing industry, but I have a 7 month old son now, Thomas, so I've not continued with freelancing.

Basically, I'm someone driven by only a few things in life; friendship, a stupid amount of creativity and then the final one, which isn't that old a thing, but annoys the hell out of all my friends and my partner: Modding. I'm fairly simple as a person really. In case you didn't know, I'm one of these winning people, which apparently has an impact on things, but I've had mostly respect and regard for this, whereas a gaming girlie can attract the wrong sort of attention, so twc is a great home for me; it's where I come to see my friends I've made here (some of whom are truly wonderful), where I come when I need to blow off some creative steam, and where I come to annoy my partner.

2. How did you come across TWC? What made you stay?

Well. I was pulled in here by two things, Fourth Age Total War and Lotr TW for Rome TW. I heard about them from all sorts of places and came to have a peek. I'd never have played TW games otherwise, but I got hooked (although I am fairly dismal at them). Then I got involved with other stuff here, as a writer (you wouldn't know it from my typing, but I have one of these degree things in English)...the mod I worked with needed a modeller desperately, so I broke all my rules and got into modelling. I have NEVER tried something so hard (at first), never sworn so much, never felt like squeaking at my pc so much as when learning modelling...but I'm stubborn, and it seemed to very slowly make sense, then more rapidly, then became second nature, and now I surprise myself by the fact I seem to be advising people now. A Long the way I picked up some other skills, now I'm learning more and more.

3. Is this your first modding project? If not, what other projects have you worked on?

Naw, not my first. I worked on DaC (Divide and Conquer; a submod for TATW) for a year and a half then Thomas arrived and couldn't really go back due to practicality. I also did some bits and pieces for other things; a Galadriel model and Galahdhrim for my friend Ellin, 130-140 models for DaC, some stuff for Midnight, which I hope to finish asap. Uhm, doing some bits for Fourth Age, helped on First AGe TW a little - tidying models etc. SO a lot of little things really, just to help. Also, I've done some 2d art too. I'm probably forgetting some things, but there's a fair few and my memory's terrible. Oh yep; I did Gondolin as a faction for SIlmarils, but I need to sort things out for them, as I've been a bit useless at following that up.

4. What was your job on the team?

Well, on most projects just a person helping. On DaC I was admin, and modeller, and writer and everything really - but of course, not super-squeak; there were/are many others who deserve more recognition than me. BUT I was putting in 16-18 hours a day at times, and this couldn't continue after a baby arrived. SO I learned all sorts of thinbgs about modding; the good way and the hard way for sure - ups and downs. I made some brilliant friendships there, and it was wonderful. Wouldn't have changed it for the world.

5. What is Dragonborn about?

I KNEW someone would ask me this!

Horrid question...SO hard to answer the little blighter. I'll give it a go.

Dragonborn is a setting. It's a 'background'; a world in which all sorts of things live; it has races, cultures, continents, mythology of it's own...religion, fully realised societies, histories, everything you can think of it has. More to the point it's not thrown together willy-nilly. It all inter-connects, makes sense, is justified, justifiable and is a living, breathing entity. It took ten years to write, and is still being written, but it is complete; we're just making it a little more complete every day.

The world IS an 'egg' of a Celestial Dragon, laid then warmed by the Mother who becomes a sun, to hatch her progeny then die - the circle of life and all that. It's weird sounding, but it makes snese. The story is about all the little things that live on the body of the nascent dragon - there are elves that care for asnd protect the Dragon; humans who are parasitic; many other things. Bits of dreams coalesce to form realism, thoughts of the dragon can be drained and siphoned to be use as 'magic'. There many 'factions', but all are unique in their units - they have creatures that are in alliance, spirits of the natural world that support them in ancient pacts, dominant racial troops from their faction; masses of warped mythology and new views on old subjects, hundreds of little ideas, small facts and small idionsyncracies that make it what it is. You'll either love or hate it, I suspect, but do have a proper look if you look at all.

6. How did the idea of Dragonborn come about?

A friend needed a background to his games and I made it....at first a bit of a chore, but then I began to imagine the whole thing and it came alive...so ten years of work has seen it finished, but in some parts noy as complete as I'd like.

7. Was there any research done for the mod?

Research?? Uhm. None really. I had MANY half remembered faerie tales, stories of monsters, a thing I read when young about Sir John Madeville....all the things that were so alive when I was a child, all the greek myths, everything from everywhere I've ever seen gave ideasa, which were then inspired and then moulded. I made sure there were enough references to our own 'existing' knowledge to make people at home, and yet changed and altered SO much that it was the greatest fun I'd ever had - it's all got a place, it's justified and unique and just LOADS of fun.

8. Were there any pitfalls in the modding process?

God, The world was difficult in the first place.

I think the main issues HAS to be coding. We will leave the game playing very differently than any other TW mod at the end, if we can do it. The only reason I state an 'if' is because I really don't know how dedicated the coders are - models, art, writing, no worries at all. COding's a headache - mainly because I understand the rest, but not coding.

ALl I can say as of now is we have several coders. We have the possibility of some very great twc people joining us, and we have ideas that we KNOW are plausible. If we pull off enough of them, then the game will be special indeed!!

The 'other' weakness is me - I am VERY surprised that people like it. It feels like nothing tio me and I'm genuinely shocked it's been greeted so well. My personal confidence sn't huge in my work, but It leads to many genuine surprises in life and here, so I suppose expect little isn't such a bad thing.

9. What are some key features of Dragonborn?

Well, I could get all secretive here I suppose, or be enigmatic or summit like that, but I really can't do either very well...I get vastly too excited.

Uhm. The BIGGEST feature is MAGIC. If I can whip people into doing it all, we have magical weapons, magic artillery, actual battle magic, strategic magic for the strat map, tons and tons of weird and wonderful things. There will be night battles lkater that will just light the world up with the power shown in them.

Other things are mounts and beasts - we have tons. Knights on peregrine Falcons, Hydra, gryphons, hippogriffs, manticores, cocatrices, spirits, elementals, cereberine wolves, dragon riders, Dwarven War ENgines/automatons, beasts from the abyss, flying men and elves, phoenixes, weirden trees, we're hoping to do a few MASSIVE beasts (40 foot tall or more), but we'll see.

10. How long will it take to complete the mod?

Uhm, it hasn't been completed. Heh. I'd HOPE a campaign within a year from now, then the BIG thing some time later. However, the WHOLE time we will release historical battles...each will involve half the roster of two factions (ish), and will stack....so after 4 you'd have 8 factions to play custom battles with. Quite cool I think. We're not going to sit and wait for everything then announce something that can't be done...we will actively release the whole time.

11. What can we expect to see in the future?

Well, the thing we're working on is only HALF the world that's been fully created, so god knows...I think right now we'll just see, but there are always options

12. Do you have any advice for prospective modders?

Uhm. Yes.

DON'T GIVE UP!!

If you try to do modding, get stuck in there,,,,start with realistic targets to TRY to do. If you get stuck, ask, but don't give up. You will never stop learning, and if you look ahead and think IU could NEVER do that - yes you could. Just stick at it. When there's a problem, don't walk away, solve it, get help if you need it. Try things to test yourself inj your own time; if they don't work at first, so what?

DON'T rely purely on others, learn what you need. If something comes up that you can't do, and you've learnt what you need up til then, it's just one more thing to get under your belt.

ALSO, if you're learning something, join a team. Be honest about your abilities and you'll have a great time and learn more than ever before.

LASTLY. Friendship is the world in modding, as with most places.

13. Any closing remarks?

I guess, basically, that what I'm doing, the bits of life that flash past as modding time, are allowing me to something incredible, and I'm so damned lucky to have the skills needed to make it work. I had photoshop abilities before I learned modelling, and THAT's what has made me so lucky. It's allowed me to do something I never ever thought I COULD do, and I'd equipped myself without realising it. I've been using photoshop since I was little, and this is the first time I really actually appreciate it's brilliance properly and don't take it for granted.

SO , what I'm doing now is a dream come true. I spent most of my last ten years developing this world called Dragonborn and had finally laid it to rest when I suddenly had the opportunity to see whether it could be done as a TW mod. Luckily, it can, and enough damned good people are helping me do it - I couldn't on my own, and people surprise me constantly here, more so than in real life, with their generosity and their own amazing skills.

SO, Dragonborn seems to be being made. It may well make a good mod, a great mod or a brilliant mod, but then that's not going to be in a massive part due to me by the time it gets there; it'll become what my friends make it, and that'll make it all the more special.

[B]Download Dragonborn

I would like to take this opportunity to thank Squeaks for devoting time away from the modding table to answer our questions, and our best of luck with Dragonborn's development and everything else in the future. Dragonborn : Total War is a mod guaranteed to satiate your mod needs, so be sure to check out the recently released Version 2.0 of the fantasy mod now!

Squeaks was interviewed by Lord William.

Last edited by Omnipotent-Q; January 10, 2012 at 09:19 PM.

Total War Eras News
    Previews - INVASIO BARBARORVM: RESTITVTOR ORBIS for RTW - Barbarian Invasion
    RTW BI :INVASIO BARBARORVM : RESTITVTOR ORBIS Previews I : The Empire of Palmyra

The upcoming Mod RESTITVTOR ORBIS for Invasio Barbarorum which is a RTW-BI modification that focuses on the Roman crisis of the 3rd century, has recently released 2 brilliant previews.

The first preview concentrates on the ancient Empire of Palmyra:

The R.O team has done a splendid job portraying this ancient Empire in the most realistic way possible.

The preview shows many researched units, Palmyran event cards and historical characters like the famous Palmyran Queen Zenobia as well as indepth historical backgrounds.

MorganH.

RTW BI :INVASIO BARBARORVM : RESTITVTOR ORBIS Preview II :The Sassanid Dynasty of Persia

Secondly the R.O team has released another preview concentrating on the Sassanid Dynasty of Persia:

Originating from minor Parthian dynasties and eventually ruling from the famous old Parthian capital Ctesiphon, the Sassanides were to become the main eastern adversaries of the Roman Empire.
    The R.O team has performed wonders on researching this faction; adding new units, event cards, all within their appropriate historical backgrounds.

MorganH.

RTW-BI : INVASIO BARBARORVM - RVINA ROMAE preview VI :The Eastern Kingdoms

The INVASIO BARBARORVM FLAGELLUM DEI team (the original modification set in the late Roman Empire starting at 410 AD from which all other IB mods are spawned) has released another stunning preview on their upcoming expansion Mod for Flagellum Dei:

-The Eastern Kingdoms-

The Preview covers content ranging from the last ruling Iranian dynasty before the Muslim conquests through to the Sassanid era, to the Armenian Kingdom (the first Eastern nation to adopt Christianity).

Offering historical backgrounds, new units, interfaces, portraits and events; the R.R team went to great trouble to bring the community up to date with their latest developments on the Eastern Kingdoms for Ruina Romae.

MorganH.

Review - Rome: Total Realism 7.0 for RTW

To begin I would like to briefly describe the greatness of the Rome Total Realism series which has attracted the attention of many total war players. RTR is one of the most downloaded mods of all time; it injects new life and realism into Rome: Total War. The developers have tried their best to produce a mod that is realistic, historically accurate and fun! Most would agree that they have succeeded. When taking into account the numerous changes and additions it is no wonder why so many gamers love the mod over the original game. In this preview we will be discussing various RTR VII features such as Government, Commerce, and Espionage!

We will begin with settlements, unlike in the original Rome Total War, invading nations will now have to deal with the problems of governing a foreign population as well as dealing with the original conquest itself. Players will have to make polices and maintain their military staff to ensure the long term viability of their conquest and stability within the region so they may rule and continue to advance their borders. Spies will be a key factor in converting foreign populations causing them to despise their current government and make them support your eventual occupation more readily. Also regions that are further away from your capital will face higher public order penalties. To be true to history, heavily inhabited areas will be more difficult to conquer and assimilate into your faction.

The specialty units within RTR VII are pretty cool, since they are not only really strong but also historically accurate. The developers wanted to ensure that these strong units do not get abused within the game so they set their price at 30,000 marks and take 40 turns on the campaign to recruit. This may seem overly harsh but in addition to this players will have a certain amount of specialty units at the start of each campaign, and specialty unit can be retrained at normal price to balance the high cost of recruitment. In terms of speciality unitys the factions that you should keep your eye on are: Carthage, Epeiros, Antigonids, and Sparta

RTR VII created a new system for the field of espionage, whereby spies can have various roles depending on the player’s preference. There are 4 categories that a spy may fall under, the first is the initial act of spying where the spy goes between settlements and reports their findings to their overlords. The second is an informer which is a trait gained when a spy remains within his hometown which he was spawned. These informers prove vital in preventing disasters and apprehending enemies of the state. It is important to note that a spy who leaves his hometown for longer than the turn causes the trait to be forfeit until he returns home for a full turn. The third trait is the conspirator’s trait, a trait players should find most useful during an invasion of an enemy city. Conspirators gain this ability through staying within an enemy settlement for an extended period of time thus making it more likely for the spy to succeed in damading buildings within the city and opening the gates for your armies to march into the city in the event of an assault. Conspirators lose their bonus ability should they leave an enemy settlement for one turn. The final variation is that of the traitor, this is not a trait but is vital to the subjection of the settlement that you already have conquered. Informers only reveal traitors and once they are found it increases the subjection speed so that your settlement becomes more manageable.

The economics within the game has slightly changed from the original RTW and now resembles the concept of guilds within Medieval Total War II. Within RTR VII there are 8 guilds or professions whereby your settlement gains an increase in wealth as well as whatever other bonuses that come with a given guild or profession. To begin creating guilds it is necessary for the natural resource to be present within the region, if such a resourse exists you will be able to build your guild and gain the benefits. There are however only 5 slots per region, 3 for resources in the region and 2 for resources imported from other regions. You initially don’t start off with 5 slots; your slots gradually appear as the settlement grows and this sometimes delays or hinders guild growth.

Another feature deals with the Roman Curia and Offices, this backdrop role-play immerses you into the realm of the Roman Republic. Though this is not the main ambition of the game, maintaining position within the senate can prove to be vital towards your ambitions and global dominance. The Curia offers your leaders various traits and skills that will be useful when conquering your enemies in the field of battle and attempting to maintain order within taken settlements. The system is similar to that of RTW with a slight change to the ranks, whereby the positions within the curia have requirements that must be followed or that family member would lose his title and perks. Appointments to office are subject to availability positions which depends on the death of a past leader or expansion of territory.

Cavalry commander
    Eligibility: The rank of Cavalry commander is given to all family members at the end of their first turn.
    Appointment: none
    Remit: This rank is always active.
    Benefits: The rank reflects the fact that any family member commands a bodyguard and can be used as a (small) cavalry unit. He gains battle stats, but carries no authority to lead armies or govern settlements. On the contrary, you are well advised never to leave them in charge of anything!

Tribunus Militum
    Eligibility: Family members become eligible for the rank 5 years after entering your faction.
    Appointment: An ancillary with the Roman faction icon and the abbreviation "TR."
    Remit: To retain the benefits of rank, the Tribunus Militum must end his turn in a friendly settlement.
    Benefits: The rank confers bonuses to siege defense, and to a lesser degree to command and public order.

Quaestor
    Eligibility: Family members become eligible for the rank 15 years after entering your faction.
    Appointment: An ancillary with the Roman faction icon and the abbreviation "Q"
    Remit: To retain the benefits of rank, the Quaestor must end his turn in a friendly settlement.
    Benefits: The rank confers bonuses to management, law and public order.

Aedilis
    Eligibility: Family members become eligible for the rank 5 years after first serving as Quaestor.
    Appointment: An ancillary with the Roman faction icon and the abbreviation "Aed".
    Remit: To retain the benefits of rank, the Aedilis must end his turn in a friendly settlement.
    Benefits: The rank confers bonuses to management, law and public order.

Praetor
    Eligibility: Family members become eligible for the rank 8 years after first serving as Quaestor.
    Appointment: An ancillary with the Roman faction icon and the abbreviation "Prae".
    Remit: To retain the benefits of rank, the Praetor must end his turn in a friendly territory.
    Benefits: The rank confers bonuses to command, management, law and public order.

Consul
    Eligibility: Family members become eligible for the rank 3 years after first serving as Praetor.
    Appointment: An ancillary with the Roman faction icon and the abbreviation "COS".
    Remit: Unlimited.
    Benefits: The rank confers bonuses to command management, law and public order.
    RTR II offers an exciting game development that involves the various reforms not only of the roman legions but of foreign armies as well. There are 4 different reforms within the campaign: the Marian reforms, the Punic reforms, the Greek reforms, and finally the Getai reforms each offering their historical and strategic significance. Each reform you wish to unlock will require you to complete certain tasks pertaining to the reform such have capturing regions or holding regions for an X amount of time, doing so will unlock the reform and reap the benefits.

Recently RTR VII has implemented huge character bonuses for governors of settlements, though this bonus doesn’t apply to Romans. Lowering your taxes to almost nil and bringing in a large garrison of troops to maintain order with help you to acquire this bonus

(40%) influence, (40%) law, and (-40%) unrest

Download RTR VII Today

That concludes this highlight of RTR VII, I hope everyone has enjoyed this read. I want to wish everyone a safe and happy holiday, Good Night!

Roma Surrectum II - patch 2.2

Rome TW> Roma Surrectum II patch 2.2

Patch 2.2 is the next highly anticipated update for Roma Surrectum II and will hopefully be released sometime within the next few months. A lot of changes and improvements will be made in this patch and every faction will be getting something new added - there will even be several more factions included such as the Bosphoran Kingdom, Syracuse and other which are as of yet unconfirmed. These new factions will replace Sparta (due to faction number limits), but do not worry, Sparta will still be a faction in all the "non-swap" faction campaigns and will still be playable.

One of the biggest and most interesting things that the patch will be adding is the hill fort for several of the barbarian factions. These settlements have been largely based on the real life Maiden castle in England and they look truly formidable with their concentric rings of walls, steep slopes and tight bottlenecks. Tone has also indicated that these forts will be fairly hard to take (as they were in reality) even if you are utilising the full might of the Roman war machine and so should provide an interesting new challenge for experienced total war players.

It isn't just the barbarian settlements that will be seeing additions though, as the Roman cities will also be recieving many glorious new buildings that are incredible to behold. From opulent new temples and functional bath houses to the majesty of the Great Forum and the power of the Roman Curia many new buildings will be included, which will make the glory and power of Rome even greater to behold. Even the ordinary buildings such as the housing blocks will be replaced, which will add further to the level of immersion as you attempt to take or defend the cities of the republic.

New Roman Buildings!

Another change that has been made is related to the lighting effects in both night and daytime battles. Whilst Roma Surrectum already had awe inspiring landscapes and battlefields in the initial release the changes that have been made to the lighting for the upcoming patch have raised the level up a notch. The lighting will be a lot more realistic now - especially at night - as night battles will now use different lighting settings to daytime ones, which allows them to be a lot darker than they were before. The results of these changes are jaw dropping and as you will be able to see in the images below they help to create works of art out of the battlefields.

New Lighting Effects!

A lot of work has also been done on the various traits and ancillaries for all factions. The Roman leadership system will recieve several changes as well as the addition of a new set of military decorations, which can help to speed up career progression. Rome will also have a new system of governor traits, as well as a Legion commander trait for those who lead one of the many legions and a Praetorian Prefect trait for those who lead the feared Praetorian Guard.

New Leadership Systems!

As I mentioned earlier it is not just the Romans who will be recieving new traits and ancillaries, it will in fact be most of the factions who see new additions. There will be new Hellenistic and Celtic leadership systems, a Spartan class system and the Agoge, Seleucid satrapies, Greek epithets such as Soter and Megas, new barbarian tribal traits, Archimedes school of engineering and a re-writing of the whole basic trait system as well as the addition of much, much more.

Tone has also recently been posting several helpful graphics to explain some of the new features as as well as some of the more complicated ones that were previously included in the mod, so if you want to see more detailed explanations and more examples of all the new additions that will be coming in the patch you should visit the thread here!

-Brittanicus

Classical Age Total War (CATW) for RTW

Rome TW>Classical Age Total War

Classical Age Total War is a mod that has been inspired by the likes of RTR and EB and so has a focus on trying to make the base game more fun and more realistic. It has included several different factions from the vanilla game such as Eprisu and the Illyrians and boasts a host of glorious new units for the nations, which were already present as well as all the new ones. The Campaign also takes place on the well known and well loved Magna Mundi map and features a major re-working of the battle mechanics in order to create longer lasting, more realistic and more decisive battles.

The mod recently saw the release of a new patch (1.1.3), so if you want to see for yourself all the great work mentioned above combined with RS environments and many more improvements and additions then you should go and take a look at their download page here!

-Brittanicus

European Wars (Bombardiers de la Marine Preview)

Rome TW > European Wars

The "European Wars" is a mod that focuses on bringing the gunpowder era of 18th century Europe to the RTW engine (also in devolpment for ETW) and so a lot of new and very beautiful units have had to be made to create it. King Louise Assurbanipal has therefore been hard at work creating a lot of new units for the mod and has recently posted his second unit preview, which this time focuses on the "Bombardiers de la Marine".

The "Bombardiers de la Marine" were a unit serving in the French navy during the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries and they were considered to be the elite of that particular branch of the French armed forces. As you will be able to see in the images this unit is very identifiable in it's bright red coat with blue facings, so when you meet them on the battlefield you will immediately know that you are facing one of the most fearsome and formidable units that France can throw at you. The full preview of this glorious new unit can be found in this thread!

-Brittanicus

Total War - Orcs and Humans

Rome TW > Total War - Orcs and Humans

Orcs and Humans is a modification brought to you be comrade_general, which aims to bring the Warcraft game (of the same name) to the total war games and includes a wide range of excellent units (30+ for each side) for both the Orcs and the Humans. The campaign has not been neglected either, as the mod includes a brand new map, as well as several new strat map models, which both look fantastic.

Campaign Map

So whether you want to lead the hordes of bloodthirsty Orc warriors in the conquest of Azeroth or you want to lead the noble humans in the defence of their land you will definitely enjoy this mod, so if you want to download it, it can be found in this location!

-Brittanicus

Amazons 2.1

Rome TW > Amazons 2.1

Amazons 2.1 is the latest version of a mod based on SubRosa's original Amazon:Total War. The new mod is created by ares7667 and is essentially a total overhaul of ATW with many new units and skins being included. Many images of these new units, as well as the download link can be found in this thread!

-Brittanicus

RTW 1.5 :Wars of Rome: The Rise.

M'aiq the Liar has released a beta version of his Mod: Wars of Rome.
    Starting in 150 BC this Mod offers the player campaigns with the minor factions to wage war against the mighty Roman Empire.
    Allthough in an early stage of development,numerous modifications have already been added to the RTW vanilla game as a new map, night battles, Medieval 2 ground textures, Darth's formations and much more.

MorganH.

Tutorials, Tools and Resources for RTW
    [Tutorial] RTW: Adding or Removing Chariot Scythes

Medusa0 has released a great tutorial on how to remove,and re-add,the socalled War Chariot Scythes.

All RTW players are most likely very familiar with the War Chariots which were equipped with the vicious blades to their axles.
    If the player likes his Chariots to be more realistic,this tutorial explains how to tune down their devastating effects or how to remove them completely.

MorganH.

[Resource] RTW: Effects for Traits & Ancillaries: brief description

Mataputas has released a description guide for all those who like to modify the traits and ancillaries of their RTW game.

This resource describes all the effects,what they stand for and through which units they are being used.

MorganH.

[Tutorial] RTW:A complete guide to the Senate

Nightmare Moon has released a guide on how to modify the Senate to a certain extent for your vanilla RTW game or for every Mod who still has the Senate included.

This tutorial will show the player how to modify the names,effects and missions regarding the Roman Senate for your RTW game or Mod.

MorganH.

[Tool] RTW: Characters Name Creator

RedZolom has released a tool for changing the names of ingame RTW characters.
    Whether you like your character to be named after a famous General or even after your own name,this tool makes this all possible.

MorganH.

Last edited by Legio; April 07, 2012 at 06:25 PM.

The best Publication for Total War and Modding News!

List of Contributors

Site Content Directors
    Belisarius
    Omnipotent-Q

Chief Editor & Deputy Manager
    Legio

Assistant Editors
    Legio's Cat Booby

Chief Reporters
    Shogun 2 News - Legio / Lord Baal
    ETW/NTW News - crossjon
    MTWII/Kingdoms News - SonOfOdin
    TW Eras News - MorganH

Reporters
    alhoon
    Ancient Aliens
    General Brittanicus
    Jedi1
    Lord William
    madrush
    nosjack
    The Dutch Devil

Akaie's Avatar Sangi Ukon'e no Chūjō

Default Re: Eagle Standard, Volume X Issue V - Fall of the Samurai, Darthmod, and Third Age Mania!

Ooo, nice! Did not release until I scrolled back that my tutorial was detailed. Awesome edition, everyone!

The S2 Onin War Mod | Boshin: Total Domains
    Patron of Erwin Rommel
    Under the proud patronage of Radious

Boustrophedon's Avatar Grote Smurf
    Citizen

Default Re: Eagle Standard, Volume X Issue V - Fall of the Samurai, Darthmod, and Third Age Mania!

OH MY GOD sooo much goodies to look through +rep soon to the writers

MorganH.'s Avatar Finis adest rerum

Thank you everyone involved in publishing this edition and thank you to all writers;Great Job all and +reps soon.

Happy reading everybody(and downloading some great mods afterwards we hope)

Lord William's Avatar Duke of Nottingham
    Citizen

Great Edition +rep for the writers

Section Editor ES
    LibrarianLocal ModeratorCitizenCdeC
    Under the patronage of Jom • Patron of Riverknight & Stildawn

Glorious! Good work everybody!

Thank you for this good edition. I linked it to my subforums.

jimkatalanos's Avatar 浪人
    Patrician

Nice!
    +rep
    Ερωτηθεὶς τι ποτ' αυτώ περιγέγονεν εκ φιλοσοφίας, έφη, «Το ανεπιτάκτως ποιείν ά τινες διά τον από των νόμων φόβον ποιούσιν.

Under the professional guidance of TWC's Zone expert Garbarsardar
    Patron of Noble Savage, Dimitri_Harkov, MasterOfThessus, The Fuzz, aja5191, Furin, neoptolemos, AnthoniusII, Legio, agisilaos, Romanos IV, Taiji, Leo, Jom, Jarlaxe

The universe is change; our life is what our thoughts make it.

The soul becomes dyed with the color of its thoughts.

If you desire to be good, begin by believing that you are wicked.

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.

οὕτως ἀταλαίπωρος τοῖς πολλοῖς ἡ ζήτησις τῆς ἀληθείας, καὶ ἐπὶ τὰ ἑτοῖμα μᾶλλον τρέπονται.

Questions are not necessarily there to be answered, but possibly there to inspire thinking.

Nullius addictus iurare in verba magistri, - quo me cumque rapit tempestas, deferor hospes.

If mind is common to us, then also the reason, whereby we are reasoning beings, is common. If this be so, then also the reason which enjoins what is to be done or left undone is common. If this be so, law also is common; if this be so, we are citizens; if this be so, we are partakers in one constitution; if this be so, the Universe is a kind of commonwealth.

Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.

There is no chaos in the world, only complexity.
    Knowledge of the complex is wisdom.
    From wisdom of the world comes wisdom of the self.
    Mastery of the self is mastery of the world. Loss of the self is the source of suffering.
    Suffering is a choice, and we can refuse it.
    It is in our power to create the world, or destroy it.

Homo homini lupus est. Homo sacra res homini.

When deeds speak, words are nothing.

Human history is a litany of blood, shed over different ideals of rulership and afterlife

Sol lucet omnibus.

You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength.

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

Ο Νούς νοεί τον εαυτόν του ως κράτιστος και η νόησή του είναι της νοήσεως νόησις.

'Nothing is true, everything is permitted.' is merely an observation of the nature of reality. To say that nothing is true, is to realize that the foundations of society are fragile, and that we must be the shepherds of our own civilization. To say that everything is permitted, is to understand that we are the architects of our actions, and that we must live with their consequences, whether glorious or tragic.

Awesome publication!
    Quote Originally Posted by hammeredalways
    blimey Drewoid13 an (HB) for a couple of days and you already have our old world cynicism ... oh and as a (HB) you are exempt from the Proclamation

paradamed's Avatar Praepositus

Interesting read! Thanks!

grif's Avatar Semisalis

interesting!