Thread: Deleting Alpha Channel parts in 3dsMax renders

Default Deleting Alpha Channel parts in 3dsMax renders

Deleting Alpha Channel parts in 3dsMax renders

As you all know, a standard render in 3ds gives you stuff like this when you are using alpha layers on some body parts. I’m going to explain how to get rid of them in this short tutorial.

1. Importing model and applying the correct texture to it
    First, you of course need to import your model with Vercingetorix’s CAS import/export script. If the correct texture isn’t already present after loading your model, open the Material Editor with the M-button on your keyboard. There, you need to go to the Maps section, and select the right texture for the Diffuse Color.

2. Using an Opacity map
    In the maps section, also mark the Opacity option, and then click on ‘None’ to select your opacity map. This new browser will open:

You need to select the Scene as the source of your map. There, select the ‘Diffuse Color’ map and click OK. This screen will pop up:

It doesn’t matter which of the two options you choose, both are working for me.

3. Two settings you need to adjust
    After clicking OK in the previous part, you are being directed to this screen:

Go to the ‘Bitmap Parameters’ part.

There are two options you need to adjust:
    1. ‘Mono Channel Output’ – Select ‘Alpha’
    2. ‘Alpha Source’ – Select ‘Image Alpha’

4. Rendering
    We’re already at the end of this short and simple, but very useful, tutorial. It’s time to render your scene now, with the F9 button. As you see in the picture below, the ugly alpha parts are gone. Hope you all enjoyed reading it.

Note: Chivalry TW is the rightful owner of the unit displayed in this tutorial.
    Automating RTW Coding and Balancing with PHP and MySQL (online)

Lead developer of:

Latest RoP Release: ROP v2.2
    Under the Patronage of the magnificent Rez

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Deleting Alpha Channel parts in 3dsMax renders

Nice tutorial good work, maybe if you have time and know how to you could expand it to a render with pose in the same style ie; with pics, there is one on the org but its text only, then this would be good for unit cards.

Okay that won't be a problem, I know alot about that. I'll work something out soon.
    Automating RTW Coding and Balancing with PHP and MySQL (online)

Lead developer of:

Latest RoP Release: ROP v2.2
    Under the Patronage of the magnificent Rez

where are the screenshot ?

Lord Of The Knights's Avatar Rome Medieval ******

Great man,thanks

Could you reupload the pictures?
    (or someone else)
    Big "Diadochi:Total War" fan! Click HERE to download the full game, and the latest patch!

Quote Originally Posted by Mythos_Ruler View Post
    "Lesbians" are people from Lesbos. The reason we call homosexual women "lesbians" today was because of the famous poet Sapho from Lesbos who extolled the virtues of female love. Just some FYI.

Quote Originally Posted by Nero666 View Post
    Deleting Alpha Channel parts in 3dsMax renders

As you all know, a standard render in 3ds gives you stuff like this when you are using alpha layers on some body parts. I’m going to explain how to get rid of them in this short tutorial.

1. Importing model and applying the correct texture to it
    First, you of course need to import your model with Vercingetorix’s CAS import/export script. If the correct texture isn’t already present after loading your model, open the Material Editor with the M-button on your keyboard. There, you need to go to the Maps section, and select the right texture for the Diffuse Color.

2. Using an Opacity map
    In the maps section, also mark the Opacity option, and then click on ‘None’ to select your opacity map. This new browser will open:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

You need to select the Scene as the source of your map.

There, select the ‘Diffuse Color’ map and click OK. This screen will pop up:

It doesn’t matter which of the two options you choose, both are working for me.

3. Two settings you need to adjust
    After clicking OK in the previous part, you are being directed to this screen:

Go to the ‘Bitmap Parameters’ part.

There are two options you need to adjust:
    1. ‘Mono Channel Output’ – Select ‘Alpha’
    2. ‘Alpha Source’ – Select ‘Image Alpha’

4. Rendering
    We’re already at the end of this short and simple, but very useful, tutorial. It’s time to render your scene now, with the F9 button. As you see in the picture below, the ugly alpha parts are gone. Hope you all enjoyed reading it.

Note: Chivalry TW is the rightful owner of the unit displayed in this tutorial.

I figured out how to do it and uploaded my pictures. Hope it helps
    Last edited by HeroSK; November 27, 2008 at 08:29 AM.

What procedure should I follow to make a story in 3d max? What steps should I follow to make a short movie in 3ds max, what rendered will be the best for fast rendering…but realistic. Thank you

Very helpful tutorial, thanx!!