Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: What doth your Custom User Title meaneth?

therussian's Avatar Use your imagination

Default What doth your Custom User Title meaneth?

Sorry, my attempt at middle english.

Anyway, I have been seeing some interesting user titles, and I was just wondering what they meant. Anyway, if you will, please explain your custom user title.

Mine, well, the Fool on the Hill is a song by the Beatles, and it is one of my theme songs

House of the Caesars | Under the Patronage of Comrade Trance Crusader. Proud Patron of Comrades Shadow_Imperator, Zenith Darksea, Final Frontier and Plutarch | Second Generation| ex-Eagle Standard Editor| Consilium de Civitate | Album Reviews

Final Frontier's Avatar Just roaming around

Default Re: What doth your Custom User Title meaneth?

I'm going to go ahead and say that mine is self-explanatory.

Happiness is a warm gun... | "Only a life lived for others is worthwhile." -Albert Einstein
    Bang bang, shoot shoot...19| Under the patronage of therussian
    | "I couldn't resist."

Talib Kweli, the guy in my avvy and sig, is an African who's name means my custom user title.

Adèle is my avatar.

She's a comic book-character (how I hate this name, is there another word for it in English?). Anyways, she's a bande déssinée character drawn by Tardi in Les Aventures extraordinaires d'Adèle Blanc-Sec (The Extraordinary Adventures of Adele Dry-White).

Ps: Wouldn't it be nice if everybody could have a costum-user title? You can on the .org.
    "Tempus edax rerum." Ovid, Metamorphoses
    Under the patronage of Virgil.

Take a guess...

1964 was the year the Beatles became the most popular music act of all time ( in 1964 they held all five top Hot 100 billboard spots, which no one else has ever done - ever) and the year they were recognized in the US.

Patron of Felixion, Ulyaoth, Reidy, Ran Taro and Darth Red
    Co-Founder of the House of Caesars

Tacticalwithdrawal's Avatar Ghost

Ozymandias

I met a traveler from an antique land
    Who said: Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
    Stand in the desert. Near them, on the sand,
    Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
    And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
    Tell that its sculptor well those passions read,
    Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
    The hand that mocked them, and the heart that fed,
    And on the pedestal these words appear:
    "My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
    Look upon my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
    Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
    Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
    The lone and level sands stretch far away.

thought it was appropriate when I became a Consul, or maybe I'm just a cynical old git
    : - It's my smilie and I'll use it if I want to......

Ave Caesar, Morituri Nolumus Mori (in Glaswegian: gae **** yrsel big man)

Søren's Avatar ܁
    Patrician Citizen Magistrate spy of the council

I think mine is pretty obvious in meaning.

As for reason: because I am increasingly irritated at the way intelligence is overplayed on the forums.

The use of the word "virtue" is used with more of a colloquial meaning, than the precise one.

Quote Originally Posted by Shyam Popat
    Talib Kweli, the guy in my avvy and sig, is an African who's name means my custom user title.

Thats awesome. (but hes not actually African, Brooklyn is hardly Africa)

Well, mine is self explanatory, its from RTW, the vanilla version. When a roman army conquers a settlement you hear a guy yell "Victory & Honor!". I liked it so much, I put it in as my custom tile.

Denny Crane!'s Avatar Comes Rei Militaris

A collection of bloody stupid johnson explanations from Terry Pratchett collated by wiki;

Johnson, Bergholt Stuttley, known as Bloody Stupid Johnson, is a landscape gardener and inventor on the Discworld (a fictional world created by author Terry Pratchett), and is mentioned in a number of books.

Although evidently able in certain fields, Johnson is notorious for his complete inability to produce anything according to specification or common sense. This fact never stopped him from trying, however. He is also known as Bloody Stupid "It Might Look A Bit Messy Now But Just You Come Back In Five Hundred Years' Time" Johnson and Bloody Stupid "Look, The Plans Were The Right Way Round When I Drew Them" Johnson.

The most obvious flaw in Johnson's abilities is his blind spot when it comes to marking units on his plans; examples include the Colossus of Morpork, which is currently kept in a matchbox in the Dwarf Bread Museum, and the ornamental cruet set commissioned by Mad Lord Snapcase — the saltshaker currently houses four families and they use the pepper mill to store grain. Those few of his works that are approximately the right scale typically either work in unexpected ways, or simply have a tendency to spontaneously detonate. His attempts at landscape gardening are equally surprising, including the enormous artificial hillock in front of Quirm Manor ("It'd drive me mad to have to look at a bunch of trees and mountains all day long, how about you?") and the hoho in the Ankh-Morpork Palace grounds, which is like a haha but fifty feet deep. His other works consist of a trout-pond in the grounds of the Patrician's palace that, due to the usual misunderstandings surrounding Johnson's work, is an ornamental trout pond that is only an inch wide, yet more than 100 feet in length.

While most of Johnson's designs are simply unusual, some of them seem to tap into strange forces, probably by mistake, The most obvious examples of this are the Mail Sorter and Empirical Crescent, but the tendency of his landscape work to spontaneously explode may be an indication of the same phenomenon. It has been suggested that he may have inadvertantly achieved the exact opposite of constructing in cosmic harmony with the power of ley lines.

The fact that he continued to receive commissions after the defects in his abilities became apparent is considered to be the ultimate expression of the apparent thinking behind the Victorian follies, i.e. an indication that the person commissioning the work can afford to waste money like this. It became quite fashionable to have your house or garden 'Johnsoned'. This view of Johnson's abilities was not universal, however: it is believed that the town house of the Ramkin family — a rather pleasant old house with well-designed gardens — was never worked on by Johnson because he was shot in the leg by the then owner while walking up its drive one day.

My avater is the hitcher does anyone boosh?

"trapped in a box by a cockney nutjob, have a cuppa tea have a cuppa tea.."

Peter

Tostig's Avatar -

Back when I played Day of Defeat (A second world war first person shooter) "meatshield" had two meanings - a useless player who got in the way of your shot and saved your intended target or a diversionary attack. For instance "OMFG damn meatshield nub!" would refer to the first one, while "Meatshields take the middle flag!" would refer to the second. I got a bit of a reputation for stupid valiance when I charged a machine gun with a primed grenade during s clan match, and it became my nickname there for a while.
    Garbarsardar has been a dapper chap.

Tiocfaidh Ár Lá

In Irish Gaelic it means "Our Day Will Come." It is associated with the Irish Republican movement which I support, especially the IRA and Sinn Fein. Unfortunately the IRA is nowadays a terrorist organization, not the legitimate Army it used to be during the Irish War of Independence. So I am not supporting the IRA, just the Republican movement.

It also just is a representation of me, my Irish Heritage and belief that the best days are to come. Wait for your chance and then seize it.
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be used until they try and take it away.
    Staff Officer of Corporal_Hicks in the Legion of Rahl
    Commanding Katrina, Crimson Scythe, drak10687 and Leonidas the Lion

John I Tzimisces's Avatar Get born again.

Quote Originally Posted by The White Knight
    Adèle is my avatar.

She's a comic book-character (how I hate this name, is there another word for it in English?). Anyways, she's a bande déssinée character drawn by Tardi in Les Aventures extraordinaires d'Adèle Blanc-Sec (The Extraordinary Adventures of Adele Dry-White).

Ps: Wouldn't it be nice if everybody could have a costum-user title? You can on the .org.
    If someone puts a censor bypass or whatever in there, or something suitably inappropriate in there, it is much easier to keep track of user titles if 10,000+ people do not have that ability...

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tacticalwithdrawal
    Ozymandias

I met a traveler from an antique land
    Who said: Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
    Stand in the desert. Near them, on the sand,
    Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
    And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
    Tell that its sculptor well those passions read,
    Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
    The hand that mocked them, and the heart that fed,
    And on the pedestal these words appear:
    "My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
    Look upon my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
    Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
    Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
    The lone and level sands stretch far away.

thought it was appropriate when I became a Consul, or maybe I'm just a cynical old git
    Have you read Watchmen by any chance?

Mines from a poem by Wallace Stephens, its also the title of the second chapter in Salems lot.

Call the roller of big cigars,
    The muscular one, and bid him whip
    In kitchen cups concupiscent curds.
    Let the wenches dawdle in such dress
    As they are used to wear, and let the boys
    Bring flowers in last month's newspapers.
    Let be be finale of seem.
    The only emperor is the emperor of ice-cream.

Take from the dresser of deal,
    Lacking the three glass knobs, that sheet
    On which she embroidered fantails once
    And spread it so as to cover her face.
    If her horny feet protrude, they come
    To show how cold she is, and dumb.
    Let the lamp affix its beam.
    The only emperor is the emperor of ice-cream.

Average British Student

Well its easy. Its what i do

I was chatting with Garb online once, and he muddled his words a la Yoda. Following on the star wars theme,we talked about Yoda, and Garb rejected that saying "well, I am your father." So, I felt that it would be appropriate, for a while at least. I mean, Darth Vader --- Garb, can't anyone else see the resemblance?
    TWC Divus

in patronicvm svb Garbarsardar patronvm celcvm qvo,Professor420et Amroth et Jones King
    Publius says: oh please, i love talk about trans-special mating. sends a gentle tickle down the back of my spine
    MarcusCorneliusMarcellus says: i sucked at exams, but was considered the best lawyer in the class, because I could always find the hole
    Evariste says: I have huge, feminine breasts and I love them

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gigagaia
    I was chatting with Garb online once, and he muddled his words a la Yoda. Following on the star wars theme,we talked about Yoda, and Garb rejected that saying "well, I am your father." So, I felt that it would be appropriate, for a while at least. I mean, Darth Vader --- Garb, can't anyone else see the resemblance?
    Its the heavy breathing. but don't tell him i said that.

Valus's Avatar Natura, artis magistra

It is a phrase which I use often on MSN...
    "slowly backs away" has a mysterical meaning and history as I cant even recall when I first used it... It is a phrase which I often use to overemphasise on certain occations, especially when misunderstandings and confusion is bound too happen..

Example: A moderator: I was moderating in the hunks thread yesterday....

Me: "slowly backs away"

A moderator: Hey! I wasnt looking at the pictures!

The above was partially taken from a msn convo that happened some weeks ago...

Oddly enough this phrase often comes to handy when dealing with potential gay jokes/misinterpritations, for some unknown reasons...
    Under the patronage of Søren
    The proud liege of Mimirswell, Proximus, Rhah, Phaedo and EmperorJulian

Former Moderator and Senatorii
    Member of the House of Caesars

Mine is just an ancient greek proverb I took a liking to

.Socrates's Avatar I Love You

I just got mine from all the commercials where they say. "When nothing else works, buy [insert brand name here]!"
    Originally under the patronage of RZZZA. Under the patronage of the Black Prince, in the Royal House of the Black Prince.

^updated 6/28/10 (Stevie Wonder - Songs in the Key of Life)

Søren's Avatar ܁
    Patrician Citizen Magistrate spy of the council

Quote Originally Posted by Valus
    It is a phrase which I use often on MSN...
    "slowly backs away" has a mysterical meaning and history as I cant even recall when I first used it... It is a phrase which I often use to overemphasise on certain occations, especially when misunderstandings and confusion is bound too happen..
    Yup.

You almost invariably (literally almost invariably) reply to anything with :

or

*slowly backs away*

Especially if there's no reason whatsoever to use them.

Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast