Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: RR/RC for The Last Kingdom (released)

Default Re: RR/RC for The Last Kingdom (released)

His stuff is included in mine already.

Just stopping by here again to say that I really appreciate the effort going into this submod.

A polite way of saying "Hurry the ___ up!".

I think I'll release what I have so far in a day or two, since the only problem is a graphical one.

Quote Originally Posted by k/t View Post
    A polite way of saying "Hurry the ___ up!".

I think I'll release what I have so far in a day or two, since the only problem is a graphical one.
    Haha lol, you see right through my comment. I do have to confess that I can't wait for an update, even though I really do appreciate the work that has gone into it so far.

I'm guessing that the graphical problem is still about the twohanded axemen?

New files uploaded in the first post.

Before installing the new files, please check your games and tell me the culture levels of the rebel settlements in Iceland.

beermugcarl's Avatar Decanus

have you made it so that the magyars actually win in auto_battles?

all looks good though, may download this whole thing again

They have 3 secondary HPs. I gave them that from the beginning, but no, they won't do well in auto resolve because they have no armour. Even if they did, I don't know how much it would help them. Horse archers are underestimated by the auto resolve calculator in every mod that has them. In a SS Cuman campaign, in 150 years I won more Heroic Victories than in all other campaigns put together - all because the AI thought my army of horse archers was outmatched by an army of spear and javelin militia. It's like the Dwarves crushing everyone in auto resolve in TATW.

beermugcarl's Avatar Decanus

yeah i get it, its an issue every mod has.
    they can have up to 6 hidden hitpoints btw, i think thats the hitpoint limit anyway (sauron has 6 in TATW?)

That's because he's an elephant. In battle, the primary hitpoints will be those of the rider (none, in this case) and the secondary hitpoints will be those of the mount (Sauron). Riders of horses and camels share hitpoints with their mounts and secondary hitpoints will count up to 3 in auto-resolve.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    type Ents Elephants
    dictionary Ents_Elephants ; Ents Elephants
    category cavalry
    class heavy
    voice_type Heavy
    banner faction main_cavalry
    banner holy crusade_cavalry
    soldier Elephant_Crew3, 8, 4, 1
    mount elephant
    mount_effect horse +4, camel +2
    attributes very_hardy, hide_improved_forest, can_withdraw, frighten_foot, frighten_mounted, mercenary_unit
    move_speed_mod 0.6
    formation 6, 6, 8, 8, 4, horde
    stat_health 1, 8
    stat_pri 55, 15, no, 0, 0, melee, melee_blade, blunt, mace, 0, 1
    stat_pri_attr ap, bp, area, launching
    stat_sec 55, 15, no, 0, 0, melee, melee_blade, blunt, mace, 0, 1
    stat_sec_attr ap, bp, area, launching
    stat_pri_armour 5, 7, 0, metal
    stat_sec_armour 28, 18, flesh
    stat_heat 4
    stat_ground 0, 1, -6, -1
    stat_mental 20, low, untrained
    stat_charge_dist 30
    stat_fire_delay 0
    stat_food 60, 300
    stat_cost 1, 2400, 0, 900, 400, 2400, 1, 520
    armour_ug_levels 2
    armour_ug_models Elephant_Crew3
    ownership slave, mongols
    era 0 slave, mongols
    era 1 slave, mongols
    era 2 slave, mongols

type Cave Trolls2
    dictionary Cave_Trolls2 ; Cave Trolls Rebels
    category infantry
    class heavy
    voice_type Heavy
    banner faction main_infantry
    banner holy crusade
    soldier mountain_trolls, 5, 0, 90, 0.75
    mount_effect elephant -5
    attributes sea_faring, can_withdraw, very_hardy, frighten_foot, frighten_mounted, mercenary_unit
    move_speed_mod 0.9
    formation 5.0, 5.0, 8.0, 8.0, 1, horde
    stat_health 5, 3
    stat_pri 40, 12, no, 0, 0, melee, melee_blade, blunt, mace, 0, 1
    stat_pri_attr area, launching
    stat_sec 0, 0, no, 0, 0, no, melee_simple, blunt, none, 0, 1
    stat_sec_attr no
    stat_pri_armour 11, 22, 0, leather
    stat_sec_armour 0, 0, flesh
    stat_heat 6
    stat_ground -1, -3, 1, -1
    stat_mental 18, impetuous, untrained, lock_morale
    stat_charge_dist 20
    stat_fire_delay 0
    stat_food 60, 300
    stat_cost 1, 800, 390, 75, 75, 800, 4, 100
    armour_ug_levels 0, 1
    armour_ug_models cave_trolls, cave_trolls_upg
    ownership hre, france, england, slave
    recruit_priority_offset 0

type Black Numenorians
    dictionary Black_Numenorians ; Black Numenorians, Exceptional
    category cavalry
    class heavy
    voice_type General
    banner faction main_cavalry
    banner holy crusade_cavalry
    soldier black_numenorians, 10, 0, 1
    mount numenorian nazgul horse ; +1 armor
    mount_effect elephant -4, camel -4
    attributes sea_faring, hide_forest, very_hardy, can_withdraw, frighten_foot, frighten_mounted, can_formed_charge, free_upkeep_unit, command
    move_speed_mod 0.95
    formation 2, 4.4, 3, 6, 2, square, wedge
    stat_health 1, 3
    stat_pri 14, 5, no, 0, 0, melee, melee_blade, slashing, sword, 0, 1
    stat_pri_attr no
    stat_sec 0, 0, no, 0, 0, no, melee_simple, blunt, none, 25, 1
    stat_sec_attr no
    stat_pri_armour 17, 7, 0, metal ; Numenorian advanced plate + 1 from nazgul horse
    stat_sec_armour 0, 0, flesh
    stat_heat 2
    stat_ground -1, -1, -4, -2
    stat_mental 19, disciplined, highly_trained, lock_morale
    stat_charge_dist 20
    stat_fire_delay 0
    stat_food 60, 300
    stat_cost 1, 750, 250, 75, 75, 750, 4, 100
    armour_ug_levels 5
    armour_ug_models black_numenorians, black_numenorians_upg
    ownership england
    era 0 england
    era 1 england
    era 2 england
    recruit_priority_offset 75

Going to give your hard work a try here k/t, I've been looking forward to it for a long time!

Is this updated to RC 2.0's stats based on PB's release docs?
    Wealth beyond measure, Outlander.

major's Avatar Libertus

I've tested few campaigns after your last update and here's some feedback.

Each faction has enormous amount of money. This was a problem before unfortunately. This screen shows money chart after few turns. After about 100 almost all Ai factions have around 300 000!

Now 2hand/axe units have shields strapped to hand.

Milites throws their spears very unrealistic. I think that Polish Piast Nobles animation suit well for this type o heavy cavalry.

I really enjoy playing this mod with your RC/RR contribution. Any news about mod team and they plans for future release?

"I've been looking forward to it for a long time!"

I had a playable version out in March or so... Since then I've made some changes. The November version is the third one. You only started using it now?

Please read post #48 on page 3. I update it with every release. I suppose I should just move all the information to the first post in the thread, though. It makes more sense. - EDIT - I have moved all the information to the first post.

The economy in TLK is rather generous, nothing like BC or TA 3. The fact that the AI only has to spend 1 dollar per building increases its wealth, but I don't mind if the AI has too much money. It's better than too little. It can't recruit too many units with that money due to the lowered replenishment rates, but now it can afford mercenaries too. Has a small faction spammed you with armies? That would be an issue to address, but if a large treasury does not manifest itself in ways that unduly annoy the player or ruin his experience, I don't see a problem.

Raiding its settlements, destroying the infrastructure and blockading its ports does a great deal to cause it to lose money.

I have seen the somewhat weird look of the spear-throwing, but I can't edit models or make animations. Perhaps I could add an animation from another mod. I haven't played Poland in SS, but I remember the Piast Nobles having a lance and a sword or axe. They don't throw anything. Polish Nobles threw javelins in M2, though.

One thing I realize I haven't done is play around with the recruit_priority_offset. Does the AI recruit balanced armies? Are there enough heavy units in its armies?

At this time, there is no work being done on this mod (TLK, not the RR/RC submod) by its creators, and none will be done for the foreseeable future. Still, it's a finished product, and there are some submods for it.
    Last edited by k/t; December 12, 2012 at 01:27 PM.

2handed axemen have a very bad animation, leaving them at a disadvantage.

That has not been my experience. Also, units without shields shouldn't be used in prolonged combat. They're for a mighty charge.

Campidoctor

So glad this exists. I immediately installed it from the get go being a fan of it implicitly. And my first and only battle so far as Hordaland taking the little village to the southeast was great, I really love long battles, slow kill rates. Though it probably helped I fought most of it with shieldwall. They only had 3 units to my 5, and it took forever. Again, I'm saying this in the best possible way being a fan of exactly this style of battle. The siege defense ai was a little wonky though, I'dunno if it was the no walls, or if it was just a fluke having not had any other battles yet. This submod probably doesn't even touch the ai though probably huh? Don't remember seeing it in the info post...

Anyway, thanks for making this happen, I'm loving it. Don't say it.

The AI is the Vanilla one. I want to add Soulson's campaign AI and Germanicu5's battle AI, though. I hope to eventually get around to it.

If the battles aren't long enough, you could add 1 to the defense skill of every unit and check again. Then add again as needed.

"being a fan of it implicitly"

Did you play SS or TA with RR/RC? Or you just liked the sound of what the submod does?

Hordaland was my first campaign in this mod too.
    Last edited by k/t; February 04, 2013 at 02:24 AM.

Campidoctor

AI additions sounds good. And the battles are currently long enough all right, had a couple more since then and it's great. I use RR/RC with any mod that has it available, including the ones you mentioned. I've made some good progress in my campaign, taking almost all of the west coast, with the king to the south sending his brother further along that way, and the king to the north taking the northern territories himself. I've run into a standstill now though, huge armies halting further progress for the time being. I'll need to consolidate armies now or just bide my time and build up, can't build any units really. Lot of fun, and enjoying taking time to delve into the traits and roleplay a little, with the memories of that other more micromanaged game still fresh in my head providing inspiration.

-edit-
    Since you're still considering updates, would you give any thought to a four turn per year modification? I feel it would be more in line with the scale both historically and with the recruitment limits within the submod. Of course there's a number of things such a change would entail, build times, some traits that track time, probably a bunch more stuff if you want to be thorough about it. I'm having an epic campaign and loving every minute of it, but can't help but wish I had more time with characters and defined seasons. Anyway, just a thought to toss around!

Enhanced AI is indeed something I wish for in this mod. k/t, I don't know if you're very familiar with editing the export_formations.txt file and combat scripts, but it would be great to see the Normans use different tactics as opposed to the Saxon and Scandinavian factions. It would make for an interesting enemy once they come into play.

Looking at the unfortunate lack of activity on this board and the absence of the mod's leader, I'm really glad that you're still trying to improve on this mod. It's one of my most favorite mods for Medieval 2, and the only thing which kept me from playing it regularly was the lack of battle balance.

I have never touched that file or those scripts. However, Germanicu5 has posted instructions for integrating his battle AI in any mod. I'll have to check Soulson's as well.

Now that I'm starting to do it for BC, I realize I have to check all the animations in bmdb too, to make sure they are what they should be in terms of speed. I also found a kind soul that has been doctoring units for me, so I will further abuse his niceness by asking him to glue the infamous five's shields to their backs.

"would you give any thought to a four turn per year modification?"

You would just need to change the timescale to 0.25 in descr_strat and put this in campaign_script:

;###################### Aging & Season script ########################
    declare_counter quarter
    set_counter quarter 1

monitor_event PreFactionTurnStart FactionIsLocal
    if I_CompareCounter quarter == 1
    console_command season summer
    end_if

if I_CompareCounter quarter == 2
    end_if

if I_CompareCounter quarter == 3
    end_if

if I_CompareCounter quarter == 4
    console_command season winter
    end_if

inc_counter quarter 1
    if I_CompareCounter quarter == 5
    set_counter quarter 1
    end_if
    end_monitor

monitor_event FactionTurnEnd FactionType slave
    and I_CompareCounter quarter > 1
    end_monitor

I took it from my TA campaign_script.
    Last edited by k/t; February 26, 2013 at 12:42 AM.

The Bold Burgundian's Avatar Ducenarius

Default Re: RR/RC for The Last Kingdom (working on it)

Hey k/t I love your submod but in my opinion your installation instructions are a bit messy. So I took your files and made a zip folder with the folder-directory/structure of the mod so all you need to do is drag the mods folder into your MedII directory and say yes to all overwrites. I think this will help people who want to try your mod but aren't as savvy as others when it comes to navigating mod folders and such.

I attached the easy-install zip folder to this post, feel free to include it in your OP if you want.

Pies
    Attached Files Attached Files