Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: RR/RC for The Last Kingdom (released)

major's Avatar Libertus

Default Re: RR/RC for The Last Kingdom (released)

Hi k/t! I really enjoy your RR/RC work on this great mod Maybye you can help me. I've started two Normans campaign and after being converted to christanity every time i'm loading saved game I have to build churches again and again destroying the old one couse they aren't upgradeable any more? Am I doing something wrong or it's just engine limitations?

They aren't upgradeable? You can't build the Church if you have a Chapel, for example? Is the settlement at the right level for the Church to become available?

Are you starting the game with the Pagan Normans shortcut by accident?

I had an issue in Vanilla as the baptized Normans with churches destroying themselves. I fixed that problem in my submod, but what you're experiencing seems different.

major's Avatar Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by k/t View Post
    They aren't upgradeable? You can't build the Church if you have a Chapel, for example? Is the settlement at the right level for the Church to become available?

Are you starting the game with the Pagan Normans shortcut by accident?

I had an issue in Vanilla as the baptized Normans with churches destroying themselves. I fixed that problem in my submod, but what you're experiencing seems different.
    Here's a screen
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Gigantus posted a fix for me and I'll give it try next time couse I need to start new campaign.

Hmm...one turn to build but it's half done...

Let me know if Gigantus' fix worked, although I've never encountered anything like that and you're the first to mention it, so I don't think it was caused by me.

major's Avatar Libertus

Let me know if Gigantus' fix worked, although I've never encountered anything like that and you're the first to mention it, so I don't think it was caused by me.
    I'm sure you didn't couse that. It's something wrong with normans reforms.

major's Avatar Libertus

check this post

major's Avatar Libertus

Sorry for triple posting but I've noticed very strange stats for few units. Her're pics:

No shield values but shields exists

Norman knights with javelins?

Quote Originally Posted by k/t
    things to do in the future
    remove animation of 1h axe & shield use by saxon huscarls, huskarl axemen, heorthgeneats, hirdmenn and retired huscarls - they should have their shields
    strapped to their backs and use their axes only two-handed, but i don't know how to do this - will fiddling with the models_db file be enough?
    Those units are using two-handed axes and then unrealistically wielding them in one hand with a shield in the other. I converted them to two-handed axemen full-time with their shields strapped to their backs. I don't remember if I changed the models_db file, though. I will have to check.

I incorporated Heathen_Storm's sub-mod which gives Norman Knights, Norman Retainers and Miles Cavalry javelins instead of lances. You can check his thread for details.

major's Avatar Libertus

Those units are using two-handed axes and then unrealistically wielding them in one hand with a shield in the other. I converted them to two-handed axemen full-time with their shields strapped to their backs. I don't remember if I changed the models_db file, though. I will have to check.

I incorporated Heathen_Storm's sub-mod which gives Norman Knights, Norman Retainers and Miles Cavalry javelins instead of lances. You can check his thread for details.
    Thanks for info

I gave up my Norman campaigns. Each time I've started a new one after conversion I suffer this strange load a game - build new churches bug :/ But anyway I'm having a great time playing as Wale.

I get this anc, Is it intend?

So the fix didn't work... The Norman conversion code is something that has to be examined in detail by the team, as there are clearly some problems.

I didn't touch traits and ancillaries. That particular one occurs in SS (and maybe in M2, but it's been so long since I played it that I don't remember much about it). Danova probably used a file from another mod and added some traits and ancillaries while changing others. This must be a remnant from the other mod.

It turns out I hadn't changed the models_db file, but I have done so now. All the units in question have been changed to a 2H axe animation only. There is some weirdness because the axe protrudes through the shield, which is constantly held out in front and nearly horizontally, but there is no more stopping and restarting while charging, which completely ruined the charge before. I will see if I can adjust the way the shield is held just by editing text files, but if I can't, someone will have to edit the model itself. There already is a graphic of the soldiers with the shields on their backs and the axes held in both hands, but I don't yet know how to make the game use only that graphic. I will try some more and ask in the Mod Workshop, then I'll post the new files.

I found an oversight in descr_strat. Find a guy called Nokkve and change his weapon_lvl 1 to weapon_lvl 0. He's one of the guys camping in or near Borgund or something, north of where Hordaland starts.

I will upload a complete set of the most up-to-date files just as soon as I'm done fiddling with the animations for the 2h axemen with shields.

major's Avatar Libertus

Icon12 Re: RR/RC for The Last Kingdom (released)

I found an oversight in descr_strat. Find a guy called Nokkve and change his weapon_lvl 1 to weapon_lvl 0. He's one of the guys camping in or near Borgund or something, north of where Hordaland starts.

I will upload a complete set of the most up-to-date files just as soon as I'm done fiddling with the animations for the 2h axemen with shields.
    Great k/t!

and another question. what about stakes abbility for Welsh longbows?

I found a guy who can edit models, so I can get him to stick the shields to the backs of the units permanently. I'll have to read back to see if Danova was ok with that. I remember him not minding such a change.

I don't like stakes because their effect is very unrealistic and gives the human player a big advantage over the AI. There also isn't much cavalry in the mod, so stakes aren't needed, and what little cavalry there is doesn't have lances. If you have to take a charge, you can always sacrifice a levy spear unit.

You can always add the stakes in the EDU yourself if you really want them.

major's Avatar Libertus

I found a guy who can edit models, so I can get him to stick the shields to the backs of the units permanently. I'll have to read back to see if Danova was ok with that. I remember him not minding such a change.

I don't like stakes because their effect is very unrealistic and gives the human player a big advantage over the AI. There also isn't much cavalry in the mod, so stakes aren't needed, and what little cavalry there is doesn't have lances. If you have to take a charge, you can always sacrifice a levy spear unit.

You can always add the stakes in the EDU yourself if you really want them.
    Yes of course I can but I was wonder about historical accuracy and reasons of yours decision.

Have I answered your question?

Quote Originally Posted by danova
    It's OK that you make some units (model+skin), or you remade some of my units model or skin.
    Well, now I can ask the model guy if he would mind gluing the shields onto the backs of the soldiers.

Does anyone know if it's realistic for a soldier in this time to have a kite shield strapped to his back, or would just a (smaller) round one be used?
    Last edited by k/t; October 09, 2012 at 09:10 PM.

demagogos nicator's Avatar Domesticus

Does anyone know if it's realistic for a soldier in this time to have a kite shield strapped to his back, or would just a (smaller) round one be used?
    The kite shields in 9th century a re not realistic at all but later in the games timeframe (in 11th century)they were used no matter wether worn in hand or on the back. Same goes for Saxon Huscarls and probably also for Danish axe as such. I think it would be the most accurate to make the units using kite shields or danish axes to be recruitable only from the high tier barracks so they are not available straight from the game start.
    Last edited by demagogos nicator; October 16, 2012 at 07:50 PM.

K/t are you going to add bad ai to your mod still?

Danova said only two Saxon units have kite shields, but it's actually three: Heorthgeneats, Saxon Huscarls and Ealdormen. Saxon Huscarls and Ealdormen require a Minor City, and Heorthgeneats can't be recruited. However, quite a few Norman units use kite shields, and making them available only later in the game would cripple the Normans. Since the Saxon bodyguards use two-handed axes, we can't make such units appear only later, unless we change the bodyguard models so we have early era and late era versions. We could change the kite shield-equipped units' models to have smaller, round shields and then players would have to swap in a different models_db file in the year 1000, together with an EDU to match. I wouldn't mind making such an EDU, since there aren't many kite shield-equipped units in the game, but someone would have to change the models (keep the existing one and add a clone with a round shield - once again, early era and late era, like bodyguards in Stainless Steel).

I will try to add it, yes. Germanicu5 has a version that can be manually integrated, so I hope I can make it work. The AI in TLK leaves a lot to be desired. I'll have to shop around for a campaign AI too.

xxxMoRaVexxx's Avatar Ordinarius

Hi k/t, do I need to download Heathen Storms's submod to make your files work or no? Didn't have time to try today so I'm just gonna wait for your reply just to be safe. Anyway, as I read about this I guess this is a lot of work.. Keep up the great job and raise the great RR/RC name to another mod.