Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Competitive Server

GrnEyedDvl's Avatar Liberalism is a Socially Transmitted Disease
    Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Default Competitive Server

In the near future I intend to open a server for monthly competitions. Basically we will issue a monthly competition based on a single theme. Players will have 1 calendar month to build the best "whatever". The server and world will then be taken down and the world reloaded and a new competition started.

Minecraft Moderators will be the judges, and each monthly winner will receive some sort of badge/medal to display on the site. At the end of the year the 12 monthly winners will automatically be entered in a competition to decide the Minecraft Player of the Year.

So I need some ideas here on what to do for monthly competitions. January needs to be up and running within the next week or so and needs to be somewhat simple as the month will be half over by then.

Thoughts so far:

General World Setup:
    I intend to generate a flat world starting at block level 1 so that people can build the entire 128 blocks high without having to dig out a bunch of stuff.

For some competitions we may need a normal world.

I may need to limit the number of entries per month. If we have to do this then I will use a random number generator to select players who have posted in the registration thread.

Basic Rules:

Obviously no touching of someone else's creation. Violators will be banned from future competitions.

One winner per month.

Competition Ideas:
    Best Roller Coaster
    Best Castle
    Best Statue
    Best Ship
    Best Spaceship
    Best Pixelart
    Best City (various themes, medieval, modern, etc)

?? Need some help here guys.
    Last edited by GrnEyedDvl; January 08, 2012 at 03:24 PM.

Default Re: Creative Server

Most space-efficient code-locked gate? Or perhaps, "Most original redstone creation". Something with redstone

Also, any reason for focusing on building alone? Would be cool to have PvP competitions and such, especially as the building contests would be largely dominated by a few contestants (you know who you are >.>)
    Developer of The Great War | Leader of WW2: Sandstorm | Under the Woolen Patronage of Mitch | King of All

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Van Tromp View Post
    History has always been a bit of the State's slut.

Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Default Re: Competitive Server

Most of them should be about building, as that is mainly what you do in MC. But we can have some PvP stuff too.

I have a PvP idea for the end of the year competition between the 12 montly winners.

This sounds awsome, a common type of competition like this Iv seen around the MC forum is: "Build/Recreate [insert famous real work landmark]".

Poach's Avatar Civitate

PvP activities can happen concurrently. If we're using a flat world, or a world with a huge flattened out area via WorldEdit, we can have our own space for PvP competitions.

Somewhere out the way of the Builders. They don't need the whole server for their buildings.

High Chunker Greens's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Continuing with the theme of PvP:

Team events with no rules. Build an arena (300x300?) and set two teams loose in there. At the end of the competition (could be a few hours, could be a week), the total kills from each side are added up, and possibly total resources added up to give each team a score. Team with the highest score wins.

Remlap's Avatar Lag Slayer

Quote Originally Posted by 10greenbottles View Post
    Continuing with the theme of PvP:

Team events with no rules. Build an arena (300x300?) and set two teams loose in there. At the end of the competition (could be a few hours, could be a week), the total kills from each side are added up, and possibly total resources added up to give each team a score. Team with the highest score wins.
    This could be done on the pvp server, so I would say we might want to look past an arena battle. Maybe something a bit more complex.

StealthEvo's Avatar Falling Toward the Sky

I had an idea for PvP style competitions. A last man standing style battle. Cordon off an area 1000-1500x1000-1500 and world edit a layer of bedrock 10 layers below the surface to avoid people taking the piss. Once you die your out.

Also creating a capture the flag arena could be fun. Make it survival mode and encourage players to actually harvest resources to simulate a tech race.

Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by StealthEvo View Post
    I had an idea for PvP style competitions. A last man standing style battle. Cordon off an area 1000-1500x1000-1500 and world edit a layer of bedrock 10 layers below the surface to avoid people taking the piss. Once you die your out.
    Thats not a bad idea.

Also creating a capture the flag arena could be fun. Make it survival mode and encourage players to actually harvest resources to simulate a tech race.
    We have already talked about this after watching the Reddit videos. After the bulk of the PvP work is done and I can open that server we will probably do it there as competition between clans. We could do it on the Comp server too though.

High Chunker Greens's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Remlap View Post
    This could be done on the pvp server, so I would say we might want to look past an arena battle. Maybe something a bit more complex.
    Sorry, I didn't explain it quite right. It seemed a good idea at the time, so I'll try to do it some justice

I meant that there would be a section of the map cordoned off that we let two teams into. They have an hour or maybe half an hour to gather resources before they are allowed to start fighting and destroying each other's bases. More kills = more points.

Chests could be added that have some useful items (maybe speed potions, diamond swords, iron caches etc) that give the team who found it a nice advantage.

For a pvp challenge, make all the players start off in a row, and maybe 50 blocks ahead of them lies a sort of "cornucopia" Several chests with weapons, food, armor, etc. Then maybe bout 1000 blocks in each direction is a wall. Survival of the fittest sort of thing.
    Just a general idea

Magister Militum Flavius Aetius's Avatar Aetī Avēas!
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

You ripped that off from that stupid hnger games thing. I had to read that over the summer in 8th grade it sucked. Anyways how about a "favorite figure from (pop culture/video game/history)" for creative building?

Yes, I did because that's what this is. A competitve server. And competitive building would only appeal to a very select few who are extremely proficient in building.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

like mange

Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Mang cannot compete, hes an admin.

Mangerman's Avatar Only the ladder is real

Do I get compensationary awards then, as everyone knows I would win if I could participate

Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Sure, here you go:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

The Vengur's Avatar Bloodthirsty Lunatic

Quote Originally Posted by GrnEyedDvl View Post
    Sure, here you go:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    can i have one of those too, the Ostia team will surely win some
    Quote Originally Posted by trance View Post
    I might have inherited the stature and alcohol consumption of our ancestors, but Vengur got the ruthless, psychopathic bloodlust.
    Quote Originally Posted by s.rwitt View Post
    New rule: -one player each session will be designated the "Vengur Handler". It is like a dog handler in real life but you have to also pay attention to where his weapon is pointed at all times, make sure he does not have access to a parachute while in a chopper, keep him from running into buildings which the rest of the squad is currently suppressing, etc. An AGM/ACE compatible leash has been added to VAS.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Quote Originally Posted by Mangerman View Post
    Do I get compensationary awards then, as everyone knows I would win if I could participate
    Challenge Accepted. I will bring you to your knees!

Well, Legio and I have been discussing my adventure map. He wants me to help him complete it. I was wondering if you could use the map files for the server map and legio could do an AAR on the adventure. He really wants to. If I can do it, it would be sometime in December. But the map is 3 player maximum. So I will need 1 more person. No PvP. But this is only if we can play the map. It would increase the TWC Minecraft Server's popularity. If you say okay then I will explain furthur.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast