Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: evil factions

beermugcarl's Avatar Decanus

Default evil factions

is it fairly normal for the evil factions to get destroyed by the ai in your games? because it does seem very odd to me..
    it was odd for me when as rohan i send scouts down to osgiliath at turn 86 to find that not only does gondor still have it but they have taken minas morgul!
    in a game as harad isengard got taken by rohan and when playing isengard once again mordor lost morgul....now i only tend to play up to about 140 but in each campaign the evil factions didnt do very well...is it just me? either way im increasing their kings purses

i play on vh/vh
    and yes i still think gondor is a hard campaign no doubt the evil factions are hard for the player. just from what ive seen. the good ai beats bad

Ultra123's Avatar Senator

Default Re: evil factions

no i havent seen this in my recent campaign as silvan elves mordor had conquered minas tirith and was hot on the heels of pelagir while harad had dol amrith under constant attack

i usually find it very balanced, most of the time little happens 'tween gondor and mordor till i get invlolved pressing mordor on another flank.

The Mouth's Avatar Ducenarius

Usually the "good" factions tend to win but I've seen Mordor destroy Gondor and The Orcs of Gundabad destroy Eriador and the Dwarves before. The faction that always seems to lose though is Orcs of the misty mountains... Somehow unless I manage to save them they ALWAYS run out of generals and go rebel in my campaigns.

Ash nazg durbatulūk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulūk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

In all my campaign (mostly with silvan elves) evil factions overwhelm the good ones, only dwarves have new land, Rhun destroy Dale, Isengard the Rohan (even if I send many stack, I capture 5 time edoras for them), OoG and OotMM destroy HE and Eriador, this what happened each time I play, sometime Gondor have an advantage on Mordor, sometime is the contrary.
    I would say that evil factions are the more enduring

i even saw the silvian elves take moria...

webba84's Avatar Artifex

I have only played one campaign in 3.1 but without my direct intervention Eriador, Rohan and Gondor all would have been destroyed. First I had to save Eriador from the OOG who started whipping them with trolls, then Isenguard and Morder attacking Rohan from both ends and finally Gondor was completely overrun by Harad by the time I got there. The only good factions who did well were the Silvan Elves and Dwarves. Dale was going alright for a bit but they will need help against Rhun soon.

Pinkie Pie's Avatar Comes Limitis

I think it depends on the side you are on. If you are an evil faction the other evil factions do badly and if you are a good faction the other good factions do badly.
    "I, Pinkie Pie, declare that these treats are fit for a king, or a queen, or a princess!"
    "Me? Ruin? I'm not the ruiner, I'm the ruinee! Or is it ruinness? Ruinette?"
    "She's ahead of the litter all right. The pick of the litter. The cat's pajamas. Oh wait. Why would Applejack take some poor kitty's pj's? That's not very sporting of her."
    "More balloons! No, that's too many balloons. More candy! No, less candy. Ooh! I know! Streamers!"
    "Oh my gosh. Hold on to your hooves – I am just about to be brilliant!"

It's a _______ conspiracy.

Quote Originally Posted by beermugcarl View Post
    i even saw the silvian elves take moria...
    Yeah that was my HE campaign (how did you see that??) stupid bastards let the Balrog(s) out, who instead of going after them effed me up instead.

In my campaigns I find that Gondor almost always succumbs under Harad en Mordor pressure. The Elves and Dwarves tend to do well. Eriador is weak and gets their butt kicked by OoG.
    Rhun kicks back Dale to their starting provinces but after that can't seem to inflict real damage whilst being knocked on the flank by the Dwarves.
    "Born to late to explore the Earth
    Born to early to explore the Cosmos
    The human mind is our Frontier
    Religion is the ocean we must cross
    "

what i love is when the evil factions are winning and then start fighting amongst themselves, i remember one glorious time when as rohan i was saved by a massive attack into isengards rear by of all people those paragons of virtue the misty mountain boys! oh how i laughed.

the best solution i can think of. is to give the evil factions less kings purse at the start (maybe around 600 less) and let the evil factions start with a better military infrastructure. and when sauron returns to mordor (generally between turn 40-70) increment the evil factions kings purse by around 1200 (double for ai). meaning that the evil factions can only really launch large raids until sauron returns and then gives them a beacon of hope!

but at the least rohan should not start at war with isengard.

i have no issues with the difficulty of the game as a human player. but just for the ai and the balance for them

Maestro Ugo's Avatar Civis

I think the balance of evil vs. good factions is really spot on, I would only give some advantage to Mordor compared to other evil factions, but that's it.

The problem I'm experiencing is that evil factions tend to do poorly when I play a good faction and vice versa. This might be just a psychological thing, but it's killing me. In my last game as Gondor, Rohan captured Isengard at turn 30 or so...

Tired of rampant corruption? Try ICS - Improved Corruption System for TATW3.1.

Typically, as of late, I see the good guys winning more than not, though I have seen Mordor grow so large it dominated Mirkwood, gondor and Rohan, and was for some reason declaring on every single faction in the game and so was pushing into Isengard's territory (I guess sauron was consolidating power ), though this was MOS in 2.1 so it might have been that. Eventually, me (Arnor) and the dwarves took a lot of that ground though. I gave up after retaking most of Rohan and Gondor from Mordor, though.
    Last edited by Keyser_Soze; January 11, 2012 at 12:05 PM.

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

Quote Originally Posted by Keyser_Soze View Post
    Typically, as of late, I see the good guys winning more than not, though I have seen Mordor grow so large it dominated Mirkwood, gondor and Rohan, and was for some reason declaring on every single faction in the game and so was pushing into Isengard's territory (I guess sauron was consolidating power ), though this was MOS in 2.1 so it might have been that. Eventually, me (Arnor) and the dwarves took a lot of that ground though. I gave up after retaking most of Rohan and Gondor from Mordor, though.
    Ah, yes, reckon that ^^
    Best game ever was to as Eriador (later Arnor; MOS to 2.1 as well) ally myself with Isengard who had gotten in war with Mordor.
    The mighty Ururks proved the perfect, but still by themselves too weak, bulwark against Sauron, so that Aragorns right hand Gandalfs expedition force could help badly weakened Gondor to rise. A triumvirate of Gandalf, Saruman (Istari doing what they were supposed to!) and great Denethor pushed Mordor over the Anduin and on

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tōl Acharn - mighty Dśnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliē Alģ, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

I'm finding my games always balanced no faction seems to be able to destroy any other faction lol. Though I noticed Harad seemed to have issues taking the rebal settlements next to their starting provinces.

The Mouth's Avatar Ducenarius

Quote Originally Posted by The Mouth View Post
    Usually the "good" factions tend to win but I've seen Mordor destroy Gondor and The Orcs of Gundabad destroy Eriador and the Dwarves before. The faction that always seems to lose though is Orcs of the misty mountains... Somehow unless I manage to save them they ALWAYS run out of generals and go rebel in my campaigns.
    Oh wow maybe they don't "tend to win". The Orcs of the Misty Mountains just sacked Rivendell and for once Harad is supporting my invasion of Gondor (Providing some VERY helpful distractions for me at least twice) and we're just about to do a battle together to take Linhir on turn 46... This is going to be a fun campaign .

Ash nazg durbatulūk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulūk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

ohwell, ive tried like every "good" faction till now. it was far from being easy to at least survive till turn 100 haha but what i also noticed is , that when i e.g. played as the dwarves and tried to connect the two mountain kingdoms( so that i had to fight the OotMM constantly + i had trade rights to the OoG first), they High Elves always get beaten out of Imladris by the OotMM , Eriador always looses vs the OoG and Gondor can only hold his lines vs Mordor, but not go any further. I guess its about the Player wether good or evil can destroy a Faction in this game , unless its very unlikely for e.g. the dwarves to be at peace with the Orcs of Gundabad. If i'd attacked them aswell, im pretty sure that Eriador wouldve beaten them down on a long-lasting campaign. Why do i think so? Well, playing as the Silvan Elves i've recaptured Dol Guldur and Thoronburg and re-united the Mirkwood Empire, but also fought ( i know thats VERY unlikely) the Orcs of the Misty Mountains. I've given Thoronburg to the Dale ( Dale+Dwarves are crushing Rhun atm) who can hold it vs Mordor. On the other hand i had a pretty much unbelievable battle in the Misty Mountains vs the OotMM ( they had 3 Family Members: Leader, Heir + a Family Member in that army). I managed to not just beat that army, but make it vansih. Sadly, it was all of the family members of the Orcs ho got snacked there. The vanishing of the OotMM then lead to a sick unbalanced game. Eriador+Dwarves+High Elves won against the OoG and Isengard, Rhun got destroyed by the Dwarves and only Mordor and Harad are alive on turn 150...

BUT without my influence on the game, im pretty sure Eriador wouldve been destroyed by the OoG, like it had been 4 times before...To me that game is balanced nicely and i cant await the destruction of Mordor and the Harad, just to see how the "good" factions may fight each other.. Btw im using Baron Samedi's submod compilation ( dunno if that changes something )

I've taken to personally nerfing the dwarves numbers in my campaigns. I got tired of seeing them rape rhun again. and again. and again. beyond that yeah i'd say the balance is about right, isenguard slowly very very slowly killing rohan, gondor being gradually eroded and the elves just doing thier best not to die while dale does ok for itself but not swimmingly.
    So yeah for me the dwarves were the only problem but by knocking them down to 100 per unit everythings as it should be.

ajak60's Avatar Biarchus

playing as Arnor right now, destroyed the OoG and Isengard at about turn 125, and starting to work on OoMM, Rhun is the vassal of the Dwarves somehow... Gondor is starting to be pushed back by Mordor, but still holds onto W. Osgiliath, so they should be able to hold out for a number of turns more (especially with those 3 full stacks moving around!)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast