Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hunter Makoy's Ultimate Education Mod

Hunter Makoy's Avatar We got 2 words for ya..

Default Hunter Makoy's Ultimate Education Mod

This is a mod that I created to add in an education system that was not only fun, but as realistic, complete, and formed enough to really add a dimension to the gameplay. This mod is a stand alone mod on its own. It is used in its own folder, and will not affect any other M2TW files. This mod can be integrated with any other mod if the right steps are taken.

Anyone in the modding community are welcome to use this mod, as long as they let me know before hand, and give me credit for my work.

Download Link

How it all Works

When a new character comes of age, the player has ~10 turns to send him to either a city or a castle to take advantage of the extra perks of having a formal education. In this mod, a character comes of age at 14 instead of 16.

Buildings
    ________________Military______________________________________Civil

Castle Buildings (upgrade to one another)
    --Castle College~~~~~~~~~buildable at wooden_castle level
    --Castle University~~~~~~~buildable at castle level
    --Large Castle University~~~buildable at fortress level

City Buildings (upgrade to one another)
    --City College~~~~~~~~~~~buildable at large_town level
    --City University~~~~~~~~~buildable at city level
    --Large City University~~~~~buildable at large_city level

If you want to train a named character for warfare, then send him to a Castle with one of the education buildings and he will be trained. If you want him to be a good governor, send him to a city with an education building.

Degree Plans
    The degree plans show up separately from each other. if u get a masters in Military Science, the Bachelor's degree and its benefits still show up, so the total will be combined.

-Bachelors of Military Science: takes 4 turns, and requires atleast a Castle College in the settlement. This degree gives some small trait increases like command, hitpoints, and morale.
    -Masters of Military Science: takes 2 more turns, and requires atleast a Castle University in the settlement, plus a Bachelors Degree. This degree stacks on an extra bonus to the Bachelors Degree.
    -Doctorate of Military Science: takes 2 more turns, and requires the Large Castle University in the settlement, plus the Masters Degree. This degree adds further bonuses to the Masters and Bachelors Degrees.
    =======================================================
    -Bachelors of Administration: takes 4 turns, and requires atleast a City College in the settlement. This degree gives some small trait increases like law, order, and health bonuses.
    -Masters of Administration: takes 2 more turns, and requires atleast a City University in the settlement, plus a Bachelors Degree. This degree stacks on an extra bonus to the Bachelors Degree.
    -Doctorate of Administration: takes 2 more turns, and requires the Large City University in the settlement, plus the Masters Degree. This degree adds further bonuses to the Masters and Bachelors Degrees.

=================================
    All feedback, bug reports, and suggestions are enthusiastically welcome!

Instilation

To run this mod on its own, simply extract the main folder, as well as the .bat and .cfg files into your M2TW folder. To run, double-click the .bat file.

EDCT Patch File - 3.01.09
    After doing the above, download the export_descr_character_traits file attached to this post and overwrite the one in the mod folder.

For Mod Integration
    Thanks to agistournas for this great right up. (note, as far as i know this mod will work with another other mod that does not duplicate any information used here. If there is an issue with integration, post your problem here and I will do what I can to address it)
    Quote Originally Posted by agistournas View Post
    --- HOW TO ---
    IMPLEMENTING Hunter Makoy's Ultimate Education Mod to another mod

For those who want to add Hunter Makoy's Ultimate Education Mod (HMUE Mod) in an other mod, just follow the following steps

Locate these .txt files:
    @ data folder:
    - export_desc_buildings (EDB file)
    - export_desc_character_traits (EDCT file)

@ data/text folder:
    - export_buildings (EB file)
    - export_vnvs (VnV file)

Find all the entries that pertain to HMUE Mod:
    - All education entries for traits AND triggers in the EDCT file
    - The education building entries in the EDB file
    - The building descriptions in the EB file
    - The trait descriptions in the VnV file

Copy and paste those parts into the respective files of the mod you want to modify.
    Make sure that:
    - The traits are at the top of the EDCT file
    - The triggers are at the bottom

Then, locate the data/ui folder and select/open the culture folders.

Find all the .tga files for the education buildings.
    (exp: middle_eastern/buildings, and middle_eastern/buildings/construction)

Copy those into their proper places in the mod you want to modify.

You are ready to play!
    Have a nice time

Ultimate Education Mod Individual File sections
    complied by Agistournas
    Attachment 24303
    Last edited by Hunter Makoy; March 01, 2009 at 07:11 PM.
    Under the patronage of Lord Condormanius (12.29.08)
    "Yes, I know why the leaf is turning yellow. Its a lack of chloroform."

Default Re: Hunter Makoy's Ultimate Education Mod

please post any comments or issues here
    Last edited by Hunter Makoy; November 22, 2008 at 07:01 PM.

sry for this noobish question, but will this mod integrate itself into the Medieval 2 system or do I have to start it up by itself?

mods that run on their own u start up by them selves. its more of an add on. anything in the normal game that i do not alter runs as it would normally, and then anything else is pulled by my mod.

the benefit is that it wont affect ur core game at all.

Swagger's Avatar Imperial Coffee-Runner

looks really cool
    Under the Patronage of the Dreadful cedric37!
    Ancs Guide, Emergent Factions , Yes/No Events |L'Outremer for Modders| Swagger's Skymod

thanx swagger. its wierd, the download page says i have over 1000 d/ls, but it just doesn't make sense. its only been up for a couple of days. like over the first night 300 or so people d/led it.

Swagger's Avatar Imperial Coffee-Runner

better to have lots of downloads than posts, than more posts than download
    Under the Patronage of the Dreadful cedric37!
    Ancs Guide, Emergent Factions , Yes/No Events |L'Outremer for Modders| Swagger's Skymod

yeah i know, i just can't imagine 1,067 people d/ling this mod and not commenting on it. there haven't even been that many people viewing this page.

aduellist's Avatar Push the button Max!

Downloaded it a couple of days ago. I'm working on integrating it into KGCM and DHRR (slowed due to comp having major convulsions for other reasons). Really looking forward to seeing how it plays. I like what I see in the files, looks very thoroughly thought out. Presuming my home comp decides to cooperate, I'd like your permission to publish modded files including your system for those mods. Full credit given to you, of course. +rep
    Under the patronage of TheFirstONeill
    Proud team member of
    THERA, A New Beginning

"The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all." H. L. Mencken

"Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one’s thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. It is the right which they first of all strike down." Frederick Douglass

yeah no problem

Hi,
    I would like to try the mod in the DLV and DHRR mods,how to integrating it into them correctly?
    Does the mod work with M2TW and Kingdoms mods as well?

u will need these files: .txt files
    In the data folder: export_desc_buildings and export_desc_character_traits
    In the data/text folder: export_buildings and export_vnvs

find all the entries that pertain to this mod (ie. all education entries for traits AND triggers in the EDCT file, the education building entries in the EDB file, the building descriptions in the EB file, and the trait descriptions in the vnv file)
    copy and paste those parts in to the DLV files (make sure the traits r at the top of the EDCT file, and that the triggers are at the bottom)

then, go into the UI file and find the culture folders. find all the .tga files that are for the buildings (exp: middle_eastern/buildings, and middle_eastern/buildings/construction) and copy those into their proper places in the DLV folder.

lemme know if u have any problems with that.

Violator's Avatar Centenarius

Excellent my friend!! This is a DLVULT kind of mod which is of course very very good +rep!!

thanx for the rep. yes its basically an expansion on the early attempts at education in DLV and others. now i believe there are some major mods that implement something similar, but when i first started this there weren't any. unfortunately it took me a very long time to get it to work properly.
    Last edited by Hunter Makoy; November 22, 2008 at 07:07 PM.

aduellist's Avatar Push the button Max!

Just released sub mod for DHRR 0.7 with this. Thanks again for your permission. Been playing it a while in my own personal "modded mods" and works flawlessly!
    Under the patronage of TheFirstONeill
    Proud team member of
    THERA, A New Beginning

"The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all." H. L. Mencken

"Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one’s thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. It is the right which they first of all strike down." Frederick Douglass

thanx alot, i'm glad to hear it.

That sounds like a great idea. I'll certainly be considering it for our mod!

+rep

GrnEyedDvl's Avatar Liberalism is a Socially Transmitted Disease
    Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Makoy View Post
    yeah i know, i just can't imagine 1,067 people d/ling this mod and not commenting on it. there haven't even been that many people viewing this page.
    I have several downloads that are like that. Ultimate Docudemons has around 5000 downloads and about 20 comments.

I have to say this was a pretty cool addition, I like the degrees. I should have seen this sooner, + rep.

If you wanted to get really complicated, you could make a bunch of different areas of study like a real college, then set prerequisites for more advanced courses. This would be easiest to do with Kingdoms since there is an Accept/Decline window you can use.

thank you GED, you are so kind

i have plans to atleast include a Religious school, but as u may remember I had such a horrible time getting the buildings to work right that i'm just lucky i got it up. Maybe when this hits 1,500 (its at about 1,300 right now) i put up a new release featuring that school.

i would love to have a very complex system like you mentioned. it is something i had in the back of my mind for a while, i mainly need the time and energy to do it. if i end up getting a team together i might push forward with a very ambitious modding project like that. i could make it so that there are still only a couple of different building trees, but to progress in certain areas the character needs to have ceratin traits already. like already have 2 command stars on his own to get into a certain school at the military college. or already be a budding bureaucrat to get to the top of the political college.

BTW wat do you mean by the accept/decline messages?

Subuatai de Bodemloze's Avatar No rest for the wicked
    50 degrees, 26.2 minutes North, 119 degrees, 12.4 minutes West

Good job Hunter. looks promising. This could be very good actually how young can you make the chars come of age? I wonder if you could send them to school for 2-4 years effectivly not allowing them to be generals till they hit 16 but, able to move them to a school to be edumucated.
    Last edited by Subuatai de Bodemloze; November 28, 2008 at 11:39 AM. Reason: added stuff

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast