Thread: Heian kyō the japanese " Rome "

MarkusAntonius's Avatar Tiro

Icon5 Heian kyō the japanese " Rome "

What's up people. i've been playing the rise of the samurai these days and saw that kyoto is just a small village like any other in the campaign. but in that time it was Heian kyō the Mighty Capital a planned city based in Chinese cities. in my opinion maybe more Mighty than it was in the Sengoku (like Rome glorious in the classical age and a Fortress in the middle ages). at least in the Sengoku campaign it's decently decipted as great castle and a real capital. And Hard to Conquer. So my idea and question is if it's possible to change or organize the city model in the campaign map ?. and add the strongest city model of the rise of the samurai campaign in the battle map.

A little exemple of what was the Heian kyō

* Obviously never in the battle map. but a strat model in the campaign map
    Last edited by MarkusAntonius; January 24, 2014 at 01:41 AM.

Default Re: Heian kyō the japanese " Rome "

Yes, Heian-Kyo is a disappointment in-game.

Here a model reconstruction of the vast grid layout:

More photos on this page:

http://arctelier.exblog.jp/4665786/

There was no purpose-built fortress or castle at the time of the Gempei War but some of the shinden-zukuri mansions had high walls
    and could have served as defensive structures. The Taira had their headquarters in the Rokuhara district which was actually to the
    east of the original rectangular limits of the city.
    Last edited by Durruti1936; January 07, 2012 at 06:30 PM.

Good news people. It's Having a future finally.

I've been able to upgrade the settlement of Kyoto to it's maximum. In the Rise of the Samurai campaign. But wasn't easy. Doing this i've caused a little disadvantage to the Fukuhara Taira. A bigger settlement demanded a lot more of food. The taira didn't had it. And so it always led to unhappiness and rebellion. And always made the Taira fall earlier in the campaign. So i've tried inumerous things like add the 4 kind of farm and the necessary thing for it work. Like make the Taira master 4 agricultural arts for it. But all ended in CTD. Then a Miracle happened. I've Sucessfully changed the Koryu school in Settsu for a Granary. then happened exactly as you see in this picture. No more hunger for the capital people. Then i've tried to upgrade the roads. The Imperial Roads ended in CTD and the Post Stations worked but don't appeared in the fisically in the campaign. So abandoned project.

This project is a upgrade to the city. To make it look like a real capital. Like it was.

Results.
    The Settlement of Kyoto is now a Castle at it's maximum at Rise of the Samurai.
    Settsu now contains a Granary instead of a Koryu school.
    The Taira and everyone else who takes the city. Will have all it's slots ready for building.
    Be carefull it can cause a little advantage for the Taira if you are not playing with them. So be prepared to face all kind of surprise.
    To finish the most important " It's Accurate " and will bring more realism to the gameplay. In the end it will cause exactly the kind of story and gameplay someone looks in RTS. A powerfull family seizing power in the capital that need to be stoped.

Ohh i've almost forgot. I've made this Mod in joint with the Extended Years mod. so i don't know if will need permission. but i've made this because... the campaign is indeed to short.

Link. Soon, Very Soon

After this i recomend.

Taira no Kiyomori. NHK series of the gempei war ( If you find ). and the other one is an Anime called Otogizoushi. very good things. Pure inspiration about the Heian period.
    Last edited by MarkusAntonius; January 24, 2014 at 02:05 AM.

Nice work-around solution I guess historically taxes from the provinces would have contributed to the upkeep of Heian kyō (at least until the Gempei War broke out) but Shogun 2 doesn't seem to have mechanics for central government - all of the provinces seem to operate like separate mini-states and keep all their taxes (unless I've missed something). Shortly after the actual Gempei War started, famine broke out probably aggravated by the flow of tax commodities such as rice being cut off. For almost two years there was a lull in the fighting because of this.

Hi MarkusAntonius, hope you don't mind if I ask how things are going for a first version release of your mod? Very much looking forward to it. Thanks! By the way have you also seen the 2005 NHK series "Yoshitsune"?

Indefinitely Banned
    The western part of an Island They thought a kind of Coffee...

Is the siegemap use the large "Kyoto" Siege Map? What i don't like, is when I played as the Taira defending Kyoto, I'm just defending an small stockade...

Thanks Durruti1936 it's fine for now. As i've said it's only the City and the Years. Nothing new. Besides i've wanted the roads it had no way. I'll soon release it with some another things i have to. I never had the chance to see Yoshitsune. I'm able to find and see many japanese movies and Animes but series it's a little hard for me. both to find and to translate or understand. Besides Brazil being the country with the biggest number of Japanese outside Japan. And my city being the first place where they reached. Whe have few contact with the media there. Even the japanese from here seem to don't care about this. Except for Anime and Manga wich are vicious here. All my generation have grown up seeing or reading it. In truth Japanese culture itself is very strong here. Except from Media and Religion.

And answering your question weirdoascensor. I've put the last kind or 4 kind of castle avaliable in ROTS that's a sort of a " Huge stockade ". If i had put the Sengoku kyoto battle map it would seem in the wrong time. For me it's already horrible to see Sengoku castles in the horizon in ROTS. It takes of the realism of the campaign. But this same thinking of yours about " The Stockade " who moved me to make this mod. In other settlements all right but Kyoto is the capital it should be better.

MarkusAntonius, I've just remembered that Hayabusa's Taiheiki mod for RotS has a maximum upgraded fort map for Kyoto as the starting position. Perhaps you might want to have a look and compare with your solution? Doesn't seem to have a granary but starts with Improved Irrigation, Trails and Training Grounds in addition to the standard State Academy:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...i-Campaign-1-1

Check out my Kyoto map by 17yoshikazek on the steam shogun2 workshop. I made the full city of Heiankyou.