Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Population of Macedonia and other Hellenistic states

Default Re: Population of Macedonia and other Hellenistic states

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkLordSeth View Post
    Do you guys have any sources to back up these numbers at millions? Seems like you're flying pretty high...

conon and jlop posted some a while back.

Please rep me for my posts, not for the fact that i have a Pony as an Avatar.

Quote Originally Posted by TWWolfe View Post
    conon and jlop posted some a while back.
    Something online would be nice.
    The Armenian Issue

Manuel I Komnenos's Avatar Rex Regum
    Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkLordSeth View Post
    Do you guys have any sources to back up these numbers at millions? Seems like you're flying pretty high...
    Indeed. I would like a few sources as well. Personally I've posted the number which is most probable for the Macedonians who had full citizenship rights at that time (only 35,000 men) but my estimates for the total population are rather inaccurate.
    Under the patronage of Emperor Maximinus Thrax
    "Steps to be taken in case Russia should be forced out of war considered. Various movements [of ] troops to and from different fronts necessary to meeting possible contingencies discussed. Conference also weighed political, economic, and moral effect both upon Central and Allied powers under most unfavorable aspect from Allied point of view. General conclusions reached were necessity for adoption of purely defensive attitude on all secondary fronts and withdrawing surplus troops for duty on western front. By thus strengthening western front [those attending] believed Allies could hold until American forces arrive in numbers sufficient to gain ascendancy."
    ~General Pershing, report to Washington, 26 July 1917

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Not really. Its funny everyone is happy with the Traditional high numbers for ancient China the turn of the century (um well the previous one 1900) era estimates for a the ancient Med never seem to loose to more modern research.

Duke is very slowly putting GRBS online. That means you can see one recent update the Hansen has published here:

http://www.duke.edu/web/classics/grb...48/Hansen2.pdf

One thing to remember is that Greece and lot of the other places in heavily engaged in intensive agriculture and trade and not subsistence production - that's why not just Athens but so much of Greece where often grain improters. See Moreno's Feeding the democracy - there are too many large Athenian demes that simply could never sustain there population by a substance self sufficient type farming - but could easy earn the money to import grain in a money economy with just two of Athens notable exports - olive oil and honey [and in fact the archeology on the ground strongly points in that direction not subsistence plots]. Easy access to cheap sea and river transport and early currency use allowed the Eastern and than Western med to rationalize a lot of production and sustain high populations.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12