Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: what is the best army?

Default Re: what is the best army?

I don't know how you guys are praising the rorman legions so much in my campaign the Arveni Champions are slaughter my legions.

Sertorio's Avatar Domesticus

My iberians are the best. I favour mobility of maniple/ double line formation plus cavalry over the rigidity of the hoplite/phalanx line. But i agree its a question of personal choice.

TheRomanRuler's Avatar Campidoctor

Evry faction is different, thats why there are no perfect armies. Someone likes light troops, someone likes heavy inf (me ) someone prefers cavalry, archers, phalanxes.....

Quote Originally Posted by century x View Post
    The Roman Army of course

There is no discussion here

The legions will do away with any foe...
    Would +rep if i coul "you must spread some reputation elsewhere before you can rep century x again"
    Apologies for anyone who's message i may miss or not be able to answer

Ferdiad's Avatar Patricius

This whole mod is centred on Rome and its Legions and thus they are mor powerful than they really should be.

Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Ferdiad View Post
    This whole mod is centred on Rome and its Legions and thus they are mor powerful than they really should be.
    Yet they fall like flies.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold View Post
    Yet they fall like flies.
    Its the AI what more do you expect.

Foederatus

i dont find those arvernian armies hard except when they have heavy spearmen or champions, what troops are annoying in other country's?

Legionares are annoying, HA as a rule are annoying and Elite Phalanxes are pretty high up there.

Bcman's Avatar Senator

I think the best army is 10 silver chevron pratorien foot soldiers. With 3 pratorien calvary. Andn our general of course. Then 2 large lithoplis. And the rest archers or merchs. i have held out against so many spartan armys with an army identical to this.
    Bye day the banished sun circles the earth like a grieving mother with a lamp- The Road

Dont bring chevrons into this.

Domesticus

Javelin Cavalry is very annoying.

TheRomanRuler's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold View Post
    Javelin Cavalry is very annoying.
    Agree. Reason you should recruit missile mercs areas where you face them
    Apologies for anyone who's message i may miss or not be able to answer

Almost any faction can assemble very powerful army. Armored Dacian falxmen and medium cavalry. Cheap Armenian swordsmen with dismounted nobles and cataphracts. Seleukids and Macedonian phalanxes supported by heavily armored swordsmen and cavalry.
    The army mattes, but not that much. No unit will survive being pinned by ap heavy infantry and then getting repeatedly charged at the back with cataphracts. They will flee. Or they will die. Matters not, the battle is over, and the AI is not smart enough to counter it.
    Besides, dont forget about the cost. Cost efficiency is the key. Army has to be powerful enough to handle what is asked of it, and cheap enough to not ruin your economy.

Diocle's Avatar Comes Limitis

Roman Legions of course! Although not strong as they were historically!

Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Its more likely the oppoiste, theyre stronger than historically.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferdiad View Post
    Its more likely the oppoiste, theyre stronger than historically.
    Along with your previous comment about this mod being biased to Roman units as well; could you please elucidate?

Apart from, I strongly suspect, the late praetorian units that are probably, once more, too powerful as opposed to reality, in what way do you think they are too 'bumped'?

Played well, it is reasonable to expect the Romans to 'win' once more. Many other factions, played well, should have a chance. Some probably won't. Historically, certainly, no 'barbarian' culture without a good economy and a standing army would realistically have stood any chance at all. The way the game is, however, even they stand some chance.

yes12345678's Avatar Laetus

Best army may probably be SPQR, at the start you can have the best units trained from the top. But you will probably lose money from the start straight from the heels..

Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by ur-Lord Tedric View Post
    Along with your previous comment about this mod being biased to Roman units as well; could you please elucidate?

Apart from, I strongly suspect, the late praetorian units that are probably, once more, too powerful as opposed to reality, in what way do you think they are too 'bumped'?

Played well, it is reasonable to expect the Romans to 'win' once more. Many other factions, played well, should have a chance. Some probably won't. Historically, certainly, no 'barbarian' culture without a good economy and a standing army would realistically have stood any chance at all. The way the game is, however, even they stand some chance.
    I can give one. The initial imperial roman army, the one made up of evocatii and "roman legionary" is a moral monster.

You've probably heard that in order to win a battle fast all you need to do is cut the head, or killing the general. Regardless, i've fought countless battles without killing such character where i was able to rout entire armies.

But, as for the army that i just mentioned, no heavy infantry, and i mean ABSOLUTELY no unit of roman HI will rout, unless you kill the general.
    I say this because i've actually tested it where i let the battle drag on and that is my conclusion. Said infantry will not rout, even after suffering several cavalry charges from a force made up of 7 units of cavalry.

Hell i even catch Antesinagni(spelling, it's that early imperial skirmish unit) units alone with my cavalry host and those bastards will not rout until the very last men.

Obviously this does not happen when battleing other factions. I'll route the enemy infantry line even with the head of the snake alive.

But yea, as said earlier and several times before, to win battles in this mod all you need to do is kill the general. That is why that killing said unit very early in a battle ,even before the infantry lines are engaged, is considered cheating by many.

Sertorio's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    They are quite historical, they die just like in Teutoburg.

You'll tend to find that chevron'd and upgraded missile cavalry and chev'd/up'd shock infantry like bastarnae literally cut through anything. - Anything.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast