Thread: Question about garrison script

Default Question about garrison script

So one of the things that has always has hurt my enjoyment of this game and the various mods that I have tried with it is the AI's inability to defend its most important cities with its biggest armies. Many times in campaigns I have spent a lot of time planning an attack of a major enemy city only to find it garrisoned with 3 units. It really puts a damper on my fun when I know I can waltz right into a city like London or Jerusalem and take it without a fight. One of my hopes for this new garrison script is that important cities will have a minimum of say 10 to 15 units at all times. I was wondering if anyone could comment on this that is in the know of such things?
    Shogun 2, no thanks I will stick with Kingdoms SS.

HTVfanatic's Avatar Civis

Default Re: Question about garrison script

I think if you look in the FAQ or one of the sticky threads it says that there will be a type of national guard that pops into the city when you lay siege. I'll look for the link. *Edit I can't seem to find a link it might have been in the grand preview. Perhaps a team member can clarify?
    Last edited by HTVfanatic; January 05, 2012 at 06:30 PM.

The garrison script as you know it will NOT be present in DotS. The PSFs will already slow down campaign a lot so taking any major city will actually be challenge and whole campaign with multiple sieges and battles. If the targeted city is poorly garrisoned then it will be so because of the circumstances - not because of the bad AI. From the testing the PSFs prove extrmely helpful for the AI especially in strategical places. It gives AI the necessary time to mount the defence against the invaders and it brings the armies to the fight (usually to the key PSF).

The other thing will be increased settlement defences. You might have hear the line "few men could hold it against an army". Well it is of course an exaggeration but defenders of castles or cities could be in far smaller number and still win or at least cause the invaders terrible losses. That will be the case in DotS. Towers will no longer be just a little annoyance. They will be able to literally kill 1/3 of your army before you breach the wall/gate. So bring siege equipment with you if you are serious about winning a siege. :-)

And back to garrison script. It has two annoying consequences. If it is employed for a player only it seriously undermines the motivation as it is obvious you are not on equal grounds with your enemies. Even if there are other AI-helping things like inflation script they ought to be hidden to keep at least some sense of fairness (and AI cannot handle its money anyway). Secondly if it is employed for the AI it could never ever conquer a thing because it brings in exactly as many troops as it seems necessary for defeating a garrison at given time. Popping new garrison out of nowhere makes this system broken.

There will however be AI emergency script for when the capital is threatened to ensure the AI does not lose it (it will be important) or that it is destroyed easily. It might not be as a garrison script but rather emergency noble army spawned near the capital (like Liberum Veto in EU3, Rohans in Battle of Pelenor fields or Jeanne d'Arc in Hundred years war).

Technically it would be possible to employ a script to ensure 15 units per settlement but such a rigid thing though allowing tech development would seriously undermine the fun factor of unexpectedness (or need of gathering intelligence). This is my opinion and surely someone will make a sub-mod with this feature for you if you would still consider PSFs and upped settlement defences not enough.

Mod Leader, Mapper & Bohemian Researcher

Thanks Res for that detailed explantion, I now understand a point about the PSFs that I did not consider. Sounds like they will enable the AI time to move armies to the source of the problem where as in the past you could siege a city before help arrived. I guess my other concern is that the most powerful factions are often so sprerad out that they are easier to take than a small one where all the armies are located in a small area. But I see that the bigger the faction, the more PSFs they will have and the more difficult it will be to launch an invasion. Anything to make the game harder is a plus in my book. Hope your time spent here in this thread did not hinder the massive undertaking of the placement of the PSFs.
    Last edited by stevehoos; January 06, 2012 at 04:07 AM.
    Shogun 2, no thanks I will stick with Kingdoms SS.

Quote Originally Posted by stevehoos View Post
    Hope your time spent here in this thread did not hinder the massive undertaking of the placement of the PSFs.
    It did actually but I will finish it eventually. :-)

Mod Leader, Mapper & Bohemian Researcher

freakkriek's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by Resurrection View Post
    It did actually but I will finish it eventually. :-)
    Now i'm torn between the fact that without you completing the map the mod will never come out and the fact that you always give well-explained and detailed ansswers to our questions which are very interestiing nuggets of knowledge.

well just an for you and
    i wish you a lot of free time, no problems or other distractions and a happy newyear

+rep
    An Ode to a briljant man
    Reality continues to ruin my life.
    Weekends don't count unless you spend them doing something completely pointless.
    Life's disappointments are harder to take when you don't know any swear words.
    I'm learning real skills that I can apply throughout the rest of my life ... Procrastinating and rationalizing.

Horatius Flaccus's Avatar Biarchus

Great post Ressurection! +rep

If siege equipment is going to be so important I'm guessing that it will be very expensive?

Quote Originally Posted by Resurrection View Post
    The other thing will be increased settlement defences. You might have hear the line "few men could hold it against an army". Well it is of course an exaggeration but defenders of castles or cities could be in far smaller number and still win or at least cause the invaders terrible losses. That will be the case in DotS. Towers will no longer be just a little annoyance. They will be able to literally kill 1/3 of your army before you breach the wall/gate. So bring siege equipment with you if you are serious about winning a siege. :-)
    YES!

PIPA and SOPA are “the equivalent of being angry and trying to take action against Ford just because a Mustang was used in a bank robbery.” - Reddit co-founder Alexis Ohanian