Thread: CWB RULES

Centenarius

Default CWB RULES

Since there is inexplicably no stickied resource for this, and I thought there was.

CWB (clan war belt) rules are the most common online ruleset for RTW gameplay.

They are:

-Max 6 of any one individual unit type

-Max 8 cavalry (e.g. in keeping with the above rule, for Rome this may consist of 6 Praetorian cavalry and 2 Legionary cavalry)

-Max 8 long range foot missile types (slingers/archers)

-Max 2 horse archers (These count towards the cavalry maximum, but not towards the missile maximum. That means that a faction like Scythia under these rules could contain 10 archer units when the 2 horse archers are included)

-Max 2 beserkers

-No artillery

-No elephants (The lack of artillery and elephants is not because they provide an "unfair advantage", but precisely the opposite, to discourage new players from using ineffective units that are easily countered)

-No red line camping (Again, this is mostly about new players trying to create bottlenecks and unflankable positions which will be ineffective against an experienced player for the most part)

-No faction reselection (This is not a rule that is necessarily always adhered to)

*NB: Peltasts, skirmisher warbands, velites, militia cavalry and any other javelin armed units do not count towards any missile troop maximum, which is strictly reserved for foot archer and slinger troops.

*NB: A unit of chariots is considered as a cavalry unit and as such is subject towards the same limitations as just another cavalry unit.
    Last edited by RTW Fan; January 05, 2012 at 02:03 PM.

KittySN's Avatar Senator

Default Re: CWB RULES

Nonsense! I've general sniped with repeating ballistas having 3exp.

If there were EVER to be changes to CWB it would likely be max 8 pike.
    Good thread btw.
    respect the melon!

YATS name:Aulus Claudius Ambustus
    Class: Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by dacder View Post
    If there were EVER to be changes to CWB it would likely be max 8 pike.
    Good thread btw.
    What? Whyy!?

Centenarius

Quote Originally Posted by KittySN View Post
    Nonsense! I've general sniped with repeating ballistas having 3exp.
    Actually, recently I have noticed how deadly a repeating ballista can be in a Rome v Rome battle... But my above point still stands, heavy onagers/onagers from my opponent will only lead to a very quick victory to me, whether they manage to snipe my general or not.

KittySN's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by RTW Fan View Post
    Actually, recently I have noticed how deadly a repeating ballista can be in a Rome v Rome battle... But my above point still stands, heavy onagers/onagers from my opponent will only lead to a very quick victory to me, whether they manage to snipe my general or not.
    You sir, have offended my honor in using artillery against noobs! Apparently you're not a noob... so... I challenge you to a RvR duel, to which you must defeat me, following my free sniping of your general by my lone repeating ballista! After all, you said it wouldn't matter in crushing an artillery user like me, had you lost your general. So you can easily defeat me without him!
    Last edited by KittySN; January 06, 2012 at 06:03 PM.

Centenarius

Quote Originally Posted by KittySN View Post
    You sir, have offended my honor in using artillery against noobs! Apparently you're not a noob... so... I challenge you to a RvR duel, to which you must defeat me, following my free sniping of your general by my lone repeating ballista! After all, you said it wouldn't matter in crushing an artillery user like me, had you lost your general. So you can easily defeat me without him!
    Oh, and you would be the legendary "Belle"?.? Whose online map and skin mods do bestride the Rome Total War online world as a colossus? Would you really spurn me thus, like a football?

Though if you read what I said, I have been won over to the repeating ballista in some battles, in a general sense, the banning of artillery is to prevent newbies from bringing completely inneffective armies.

But sure, you are on...

Centenarius

hmmm. I have realised that this is kind of already there in Max's guide that I thought was already lost. It would be nice however if it were in a more obvious place for easy reference.

Lуra's Avatar Praeses

Seems some people still think CBW means 20 Spartans...

I hope to play MP again, when I get my comp back

~Lyra

The Dread Pirate Roberts IV

Ponies play RTW? o.O

Lуra's Avatar Praeses

Lol
    You people, I played Rome MP waay before I came to know of Ponies
    Seems like there are few who do play, though...

~Lyra

The Dread Pirate Roberts IV

king-nord's Avatar Ordinarius

Indeed i think ballista also add a fun part to the game as its great to see men flying in the air

Team Paullus

I found CWB rules are flawed. It gives the exercise the right to spamming. In battle, I only use 10 urban cohorts, 5 archer auxilia, 4 praetorian cavalry, and a general all of upgraded in higher funds like 50-million fund battles. For 10k-15k battles, I use upgraded Premarian armies while 20-30k battles I use 4 legionary cavalry, 5 archer auxilia, 1 1st legionary cohort, 5 legionary cohorts, 4 triarii, and a general which all upgraded.

I rarely hit anything with Onagers ,EVER .

Thread is not enough old for me to be a necromancer .

So I'm totally not an necromancer .

Still relevant: Why is there no limit on scythed chariots? I'm spamming 6 of them + 2 cataphracts every time with great results, causing my opponents to complain about them being too powerful. Someone even copied my strategy because it's so cheap, though he didn't exactly do it right and let all his chariots rampage in the middle of his own army because he tried to use them against MY chariots (and archers).

Also, just having one onager unit is really valuable if you want to force the enemy to come to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Republic Empire View Post
    I found CWB rules are flawed. It gives the exercise the right to spamming. In battle, I only use 10 urban cohorts, 5 archer auxilia, 4 praetorian cavalry, and a general all of upgraded in higher funds like 50-million fund battles. For 10k-15k battles, I use upgraded Premarian armies while 20-30k battles I use 4 legionary cavalry, 5 archer auxilia, 1 1st legionary cohort, 5 legionary cohorts, 4 triarii, and a general which all upgraded.
    What? You do realise that CWB is max 6 same unit card, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Morshu9001 View Post
    Still relevant: Why is there no limit on scythed chariots? I'm spamming 6 of them + 2 cataphracts every time with great results, causing my opponents to complain about them being too powerful. Someone even copied my strategy because it's so cheap, though he didn't exactly do it right and let all his chariots rampage in the middle of his own army because he tried to use them against MY chariots (and archers).

Also, just having one onager unit is really valuable if you want to force the enemy to come to you.
    Because scythed chariot spam can be easily countered by pikes or flaming arrows.

And onagers are pretty useless because by taking siege equipment you sacrifice a lot of mobility as you are forced to base how you play around protecting the artillery piece.

Quote Originally Posted by RTW Fan View Post
    Since there is inexplicably no stickied resource for this, and I thought there was.

CWB (clan war belt) rules are the most common online ruleset for RTW gameplay.

They are:

-Max 6 of any one individual unit type

-Max 8 cavalry (e.g. in keeping with the above rule, for Rome this may consist of 6 Praetorian cavalry and 2 Legionary cavalry)

-Max 8 long range foot missile types (slingers/archers)

-Max 2 horse archers (These count towards the cavalry maximum, but not towards the missile maximum. That means that a faction like Scythia under these rules could contain 10 archer units when the 2 horse archers are included)

-Max 2 beserkers

-No artillery

-No elephants (The lack of artillery and elephants is not because they provide an "unfair advantage", but precisely the opposite, to discourage new players from using ineffective units that are easily countered)

-No red line camping (Again, this is mostly about new players trying to create bottlenecks and unflankable positions which will be ineffective against an experienced player for the most part)

-No faction reselection (This is not a rule that is necessarily always adhered to)

*NB: Peltasts, skirmisher warbands, velites, militia cavalry and any other javelin armed units do not count towards any missile troop maximum, which is strictly reserved for foot archer and slinger troops.

*NB: A unit of chariots is considered as a cavalry unit and as such is subject towards the same limitations as just another cavalry unit.

No max on infantry? Everyone online knows that you just need to pick Rome to win - too many equal level replacables that can all run into a strongest phalanx's with little problem breaking them unless it basically like a bridge battle (absolutely no flanks at all) where the chances of winning are dependent on how many archers did you bring with you aswell Rome?