Thread: Pagan Vikings and Christian churches/Religion

Diocle's Avatar Comes Limitis

Default Pagan Vikings and Christian churches/Religion

In my Viking campaign I conquered Northumbria and now I'm slowly marching towards the southern Saxon Kingdoms and maybe Ireland; Initially I did not destroy the Christian churches but now?
    My good Viking people is obviously still proudly Pagan, what I should do about Christianity and churches? In the future I could start converting my people but ...is this useful?
    Or I should remain Pagan and destroy all the churches I find? What do you think guys?

Default Re: Pagan Vikings and Christian churches/Religion

I don't think Vikings get the option to convert. Which Vikings? The free ones? Did you make the faction playable in descr_strat or .cfg or how?

The churches don't convert the population to any religion, but they give happiness bonuses and a culture conversion bonus. I don't know if churches will only convert to Anglo-Saxon culture or to whatever the new owner's culture happens to be.

No I did not change the descr_strat, I'm using Danish vikings. So I can let the churches intact remaining pagan? OK that is good!!!! Thanks!

Those aren't the Vikings, those are the Danes. Say what you mean.

As I said, I don't know if the churches act like colonies in that they convert to the culture of the faction that built them or if they convert to the culture of the faction that controls them. Danova will have to answer that. Or you can pay attention to how fast the culture of the region is changing. I realized the colonies of another culture must be destroyed when I noticed that the culture of the region wasn't changing when I had a "priest" in it.
    Last edited by k/t; January 05, 2012 at 02:20 PM.

OK the Danes are not, in stricly terms Vikings, but they are very, very very, very close to proper Vikings!!!!

In the end what doing? For now I'll destroy, as you said, the colonies and I'll observe the statistics of the towns to see what happen before destroying the churches! What do you think, am I right?

Heathen Storm's Avatar Where's my axe?

Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    In my Viking campaign I conquered Northumbria and now I'm slowly marching towards the southern Saxon Kingdoms and maybe Ireland; Initially I did not destroy the Christian churches but now?
    My good Viking people is obviously still proudly Pagan, what I should do about Christianity and churches? In the future I could start converting my people but ...is this useful?
    Or I should remain Pagan and destroy all the churches I find? What do you think guys?
    Hmm well they do not convert your population, but yet they will stop you from building any of the pagan religious buildings. Plus they can give you quite a bit of money for destroying them so I would recommend doing that! All they really do is provide 5% happiness I believe. I destroy all churches (then again I'm a pagan so I suppose I'm a bit biased.....)

Proud mod leader, modeller and public relations officer of Heiğinn Veğr: Total War

Colony destruction should be automatic when the conqueror is of a different culture. Someone already advocated that. Hopefully we'll see that in the next patch.

Quote Originally Posted by k/t View Post
    Colony destruction should be automatic when the conqueror is of a different culture. Someone already advocated that. Hopefully we'll see that in the next patch.
    Churches are not in the colony category though. So they are not automatically destroyed upon taking

Proud mod leader, modeller and public relations officer of Heiğinn Veğr: Total War

Neither are colonies. At least not when I conquer a settlement. How would I go about adding that feature? I looked at the EDB, but I can't find out how to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by k/t View Post
    Neither are colonies. At least not when I conquer a settlement. How would I go about adding that feature? I looked at the EDB, but I can't find out how to do it.
    I'm not sure, scripting is not my forte
    I'd say check the mod workshop

Thanks Heathen friend!!!! Now, decision taken! My good Danish guys will destroy all the churches in their path.

Quote Originally Posted by Heathen Storm View Post
    Churches are not in the colony category though. So they are not automatically destroyed upon taking
    There's a script in the campaign_script file that's supposed to demolish churches for you if you're pagan. Maybe it doesn't work. Which would not be good, since I based my colony-destroying script upon it.

smoesville's Avatar Vicarius

Did it work when you tested it?
    Were there but a tree in this godforsaken place i would have hanged myself.

I haven't tested it yet. ^^