Page 8 of 98 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617183358 ... LastLast

Thread: The War To End All Wars: modding progress

PunitorMaximus's Avatar TWTEAW Mod Leader

Default Re: The War To End All Wars: modding progress

i only found a one way converter for rigid models by using google. i would need one for artillery models too. i will look for it in the whole thread...

ComnenusTheOne's Avatar Primicerius

You do that. In the mean time, let me share some things i got by playing your gamma version.

1) Models are excellent so far, with the exception of minor coloring problems (i did notice many units got two colors on their trousers).
    2) The movement animation is quite weird (not the running). Why they dont simply walk?
    3) You could have used far better sounds for the rifles and the machine guns.
    4) We could at least have some sort of flame or small amount of smoke from the guns?
    5) Dont hide the units while out of sight? There is no particular reason to do it, so... why do it anyways?
    6) Any way to force light infantry behavior to all units? That way would make more sense.
    7) Ultra size in units causes lagging.
    8) The Greek Army had brown boots, not black.

Anyhow, with the exception of one battle, most i played were in flatgrass (all in tiny unit size, works better). But i played one particular, in Algeria ETW map. I used roughly 7 units from my side (including 2 machine guns) and around the same number or maybe more as the enemy. I deployed my army on walls, with machine guns on the flanks. The enemy army marched towards me and then refused to assault me. It was only after i moved one unit to clean field that they decided we are worth their trouble and finally got at us.

1. which units? tell me ill fix
    2. fixed
    3. wip! i took the rifle sounds from the movie "the lost batallion"
    4. greek firethrower is already working at muzzleflashes, explosions, gas grenades and grenade craters
    5. well, as sayed: fixed
    6. would be easy to do, im thinking about it. at the moment only skirmishers have this formation
    7. ultra size increases realism
    8. will fix it!
    yeah algeria is very funny, because the field walls can be used as trenches. would be great if we could make something similar to sandbags.

edit: found no free converter. only uu3d manages to do this but it is no freeware, so i wont buy it. maybe someone could convert the models for me...

nearly every unit you can see on this thread will be included in the ottomans preview.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...=459876&page=3

austrian units:

infantry
    uhlans
    dragoons
    howitzers
    gebirgsjäger(mountain troops)
    jäger(unfortunetally they had the same uniforms, they only differ through the cold resistance of the gebirgsjäger; maybe i will make some goggles on the cap)
    stormtroopers(stahlhelm)
    machine guns

ottoman units:

infantry(strange cloth-covered helmet)
    conscript(red fez)
    stormtroopers(stahlhelm)
    dragoons(same uniform as infantry)
    kurdish cavalry
    kurdish infantry
    arab infantry
    arab camel troops
    arab light cavalry
    ski troops(fur fez)
    howitzers
    machine guns

Screens...screens...screens...screens...screens...screens...screens...screens...screens...*drooling*

yeah...screens! finished them all, but i will make a cool preview theme too. maybe ill finish it tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by PunitorMaximus View Post
    yeah...screens! finished them all, but i will make a cool preview theme too. maybe ill finish it tomorrow.
    I am like 50 Cent during mid 2003. Patiently Waiting....

hang in there! theyre coming soon

sorry guys got a bunch of ctds....

is it me or you need a hosted forum?

yes being hosted would be cool...
    preview thread:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...4#post11026664

yes being hosted would be cool...
    preview thread:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...4#post11026664
    Ask them mods about it, i am sure they will grant you one. I am checking the preview thread at the moment. Patiently waiting for the Entente preview as well.

entente preview maybe in 2 weeks!

2 weeks.... you ever seen a junkie going 2 weeks without his fix? Have you no mercy in your soul?

god has mercy! me not!
    how do you like the preview?

There were no Gebirgsjäger in WW1. Those were formed in 1935.

The Austro-Hungarian Gebirgstruppen included the three elite Landesschützen (renamed Kaiserschützen in January 1917) regiments of the Austrian Landwehr and the k.k. Landwehr infantry regiments No 4 and 27 (renamed Gebirgsschützen regiments No 1 & 2 in april 1917).
    (note: the k.k. Landwehr was the Austrian regular army as opposed to the k.u.k common army and the Hungarian k.u. Honvéd, and not a reserve formation like in Germany).

The German mountain formation was the Alpenkorps (actually a division). Individual units did not have special designations, so perhaps "Alpenkorps Jägers" would do?

<...> the french soldiers very completely ill-equipped. you couldve seen them miles away, because of their red hats and throusers. luckily they learned fast and changed their uniforms very quickly.
    No French unit had red hats in the field at any point during the war. A blue-grey fabric cover was worn on the headgear by those units that had red kepi crowns (line infantry, territorial infantry, Foreign Legion and the Infanterie Légère d'Afrique) or a chechia (zouaves, tirailleurs). Other branches were not concerned due to having blue kepis or some other headgear.
    On 12 october 1914 the War ministry decreed that the red trousers of the line infantry and cavalry (other branches had blue trousers so were not concerned) had to be covered with blue cotton over-trousers, or replaced with dark blue trousers requisitioned from the fire services. So indeed, the red trousers saw a fast demise once war started.

The outdated uniform the French army wore until the introduction of horizon blue in 1915 was entirely due to political reasons. Between 1908 and 1913 the French army tested a wide variety of new uniforms (reseda, blue-grey, beige-grey). Each time it was blocked by the conservatives, as they saw any reform of the army as an attempt by the left to undermine it. A new uniform in purplish-grey was adopted in july 1914 but never issued due to the war.

No army should be judged for its whole war performance by 1914 alone though. Just looking at the development of the French artillery during the war should make that obvious.
    Last edited by don_Durandal; February 12, 2012 at 11:27 AM. Reason: mountain troops
    “a poor model can be saved by a great texture, but a bad texture will ruin even the most detailed model. - James O'Donnell, Forgotten Hope mod artist

xD i didnt judged anyone, i just noticed that red throusers arent very useful in ww1 combat. good to know that it was changed. should i paint the early infanties throusers red or already blue-grey?

i found information on several platforms, that considered the german mountain troops as gebirgsjäger(which means mountain hunters and maybe they used it as common name for mountain skirmishers). im gonna rename the gebirgsjäger to alpenkorps. the uniforms ok right?

Take a look here

http://www.worldwaronecolorphotos.com/

And here.

http://www.landships.freeservers.com...w1uniforms.htm

I seriously dont know what to tell you. The French army had a uniform for every branch of the army, metropolitan and colonial alike... that changed during the course of war.

The uniform for the German mountain troops is ace. the Gebirgsmütze (based on the Austro-Hungarian peaked cap) and the four-pockets Litewka is what really distinguished units of the Alpenkorps to those of the rest of the army, so kudos for including them.
    Spoiler for Alpenkorps picture

The rest is great aswell btw. Good job They all look accurate and well made. Having new headger models sure helps too.
    Only the Austro-Hungarian Feldjägers look too green, but that's to differentiate them I guess. The oilcloth Wachstuchmütze cap worn by the Landwehr in the screenshots is a Landsturm issue. Landwehr were uniformed the same as regulars. Perhaps use Landsturm to represent armed citizenry?

If you're planning to include a full Bulgarian roster, perhaps use M1908 brown uniforms for reservists and M1915 grey-green ones for regulars?

Quote Originally Posted by ComnenusTheOne View Post
    I seriously dont know what to tell you. The French army had a uniform for every branch of the army, metropolitan and colonial alike... that changed during the course of war.
    I kinda covered this in the TGW research thread here.
    Last edited by don_Durandal; February 12, 2012 at 12:16 PM. Reason: answer to ComnenusTheOne
    “a poor model can be saved by a great texture, but a bad texture will ruin even the most detailed model. - James O'Donnell, Forgotten Hope mod artist