Page 2 of 98 FirstFirst 1234567891011122752 ... LastLast

Thread: The War To End All Wars: modding progress

PunitorMaximus's Avatar TWTEAW Mod Leader

Default Re: The War To End All Wars: modding progress

british tommie hat/cap (the so called "cossack hat") revised. greek, portugeese and russians will be soon finished.
    i think i will release the delta version too ;D

ComnenusTheOne's Avatar Primicerius

Yeah, nice amount of features, me approves. However you will allow me not to download it yet, until there is a CTD free version.

One tip about firearms: The majority of TWC wanna see detail to the very last pixel. Dont fall for that. If CA got away by adding a generic musket, i am sure you can as well and no one will even bother to nag about it. Add a generic rifle of the era for all faction and dont bother with the rest.

Tango12345's Avatar Never mind the manoeuvres...
    took an arrow to the knee Content Emeritus spy of the council

The difference is however that almost all muskets of the 18th century looked the same. By the time you get to World War II that is not still the case, and there is a lot more variety. Is it a priority for someone to do at this stage? No, probably not, considering unit models themselves are much more important. Is it good to do in the fullness of time? Most certainly.

Oh, and saying that "CA got away with it so its OK" (paraphrase) doesn't really have many followers on these forums as I'm sure you've noticed.

Quote Originally Posted by ♔Tango12345♔ View Post
    The difference is however that almost all muskets of the 18th century looked the same. By the time you get to World War II that is not still the case, and there is a lot more variety. Is it a priority for someone to do at this stage? No, probably not, considering unit models themselves are much more important. Is it good to do in the fullness of time? Most certainly.
    Yeah well, same thing different words. You heard me saying the same about cannons? No sir, for cannons are large enough to see the difference. However between.... for example, Mauser98, Springfield and Mannlicher, the visual differences are so small, so i can live without waiting to have three different models for these rifles.

Oh, and saying that "CA got away with it so its OK" (paraphrase) doesn't really have many followers on these forums as I'm sure you've noticed.
    And 500 years ago, the idea that the earth wasnt the center of the world didnt have many a follower.

Tango12345's Avatar Never mind the manoeuvres...
    took an arrow to the knee Content Emeritus spy of the council

Quote Originally Posted by ComnenusTheOne View Post
    Yeah well, same thing different words. You heard me saying the same about cannons? No sir, for cannons are large enough to see the difference. However between.... for example, Mauser98, Springfield and Mannlicher, the visual differences are so small, so i can live without waiting to have three different models for these rifles.
    I was not referring to cannons either-where did you get that impression? And the K98 and Lee enfield have a very different silhouette and action. Like I said however, as far as a mod like this (or indeed like the one I'm in charge of) is concerned it is not a priority until the units themselves are dealt with.

And 500 years ago, the idea that the earth wasnt the center of the world didnt have many a follower.
    I fail to see how that is relevent here. What I am saying is that just because CA did it does not make it Ok. I suppose you wouldn't mind cloned units? CA did that as well as identical muskets.

I was not referring to cannons either-where did you get that impression? And the K98 and Lee enfield have a very different silhouette and action. Like I said however, as far as a mod like this (or indeed like the one I'm in charge of) is concerned it is not a priority until the units themselves are dealt with.
    I was giving an example.

I fail to see how that is relevent here. What I am saying is that just because CA did it does not make it Ok. I suppose you wouldn't mind cloned units? CA did that as well as identical muskets.
    I was trolling... but for the of it, i dont mind the cloned unit, we had that in RTW, i still played it. We had it in MTW and STW but we still played them (you might say it didnt matter because of the graphics but still all soldiers were identical). I did mind the fact that from ETW and ahead, all faction have the same units, but then again, with vanilla M2TW in mind, i remember that all western european factions had the same roster.

the good thing with ww1 units is that many uniform types were used by many factions and not by a single one. e.g. the british models(both, hat & helmet) exactly look like the portugese ones and the cap is very similar to the russian and bulgarian headgear. italian, norwegian, dutch, danish, french and some other factions units have nearly the same uniform: jacket, boots and a kepi.
    the same with the adriatic helmet: italy, greece, france, serbia, all of them had nearly the same uniforms. and last but not least the german stahlhelm! it was sold to austria, turkey and bulgary.
    why i told this to you? well, most of the models, which i am using just differ through a small bag or a belt. and i think no one cares about a bag or a belt or sth like this. this means, that i "just" have to make new textures, which accelerates the modding process significant.
    if youve already looked at B-DizLs models, you would have noticed a incredible variety of guns, rifles, machine guns and battleships. when TGW is finished he will try to convert the models into etw shape. this guarantees a great diversity of weapons. but please remember: its the same like the uniforms. weapons were sold to all of the allies and even the enemies(before the war begun). russia f.e. used german rifles and guns, till they were forced to produce their own ones in the later years of war(the mosin nagant was a duplicate of the german mauser)
    the next releases wont bring new weapons, but i hope in the alpha or in a late beta version B-DizLs models will find their way in TWTEAW.

it's nice to see that this mod makes progress. That models are awesome. You made them,Punitor?

If you are depressed, just stop being depressed.
    - Ace Rimmer | March 18th ,2014

no i got them from danova and primergy and changed only small things, like ammo bags and the hats and helmets. i got the brodie is from b-dizl. but the textures are all mine.

ok here are the new models for germany and great britain. forget the old ones, this are completely new.

Quote Originally Posted by PunitorMaximus View Post
    ok here are the new models for germany and great britain. forget the old ones, this are completely new.
    interesting! I can advice you to make new faces for your models if possible (fiklitos can tell you how). I wish you good luck for your work
    Last edited by panzerschreck; January 24, 2012 at 12:38 PM.

thx. sounds interesting...any images of fiklitos work out there?

thx. sounds interesting...any images of fiklitos work out there?

here for example http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=389000

Wangrin too, knows how to do http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=428012

you mean the faces of the head right? mouth, eyes, nose and so on...? or is it another word in modding

you mean the faces of the head right? mouth, eyes, nose and so on...? or is it another word in modding
    yes, exactly putting new faces for each unit is possible.
    Last edited by panzerschreck; January 24, 2012 at 03:30 PM.

THATS THE SPIRIT. Your mod is progressing fast and good, and your new units need nothing but a little bit of polishing and they are perfect. Good job. And rep.

thx! yeah they needed some fixes at the ammo bags, caps and the stahlhelm(hair visible).
    i spent the last 2 days with modeling and produced at least 7 new models. romanians, romanian mountain troops, serbians, bulgarians, greek, portuguese and doughboys. plus a sombrero for the mexican rebels(mexico was in civil war during ww1).

How are you gonna represent the mexican civil war?

i think i will do the same as i planned with the balkan states:
    unfortunatally the regions dont fit exactly to the states in ww1. so i choosed transilvania for romania, moldova-bulgary for bulgary and serbia-montenegro for serbia. these regions are a little bit displaced or in case of serbia and bulgary way too big, but its the best(and only) way assign this factions to a region.
    maybe i will create amexican rebel faction which ownes a region which fits approximately for the revolting regions in mexico. in the mexican civil war the men of pancho villa fought against the imperialistas(dont remember the name in detail). the mexican rebel army consisted mainly of mounted farmers, armed with reapeating-rifles.

thats panco villa:

thx! yeah they needed some fixes at the ammo bags, caps and the stahlhelm(hair visible).
    i spent the last 2 days with modeling and produced at least 7 new models. romanians, romanian mountain troops, serbians, bulgarians, greek, portuguese and doughboys. plus a sombrero for the mexican rebels(mexico was in civil war during ww1).
    good idea about the mexican war! In the pirate mod there will be a map with a train, perhaps you could integrate it later, to make a train attack by the mexican rebels.