Thread: Hearts of Iron II: The First Steps

Default Hearts of Iron II: The First Steps

I bought this game on steam and I have heard that it is still superior to HOI III and I started playing it and I was lost. I did not know what to do or what units I should produce. I started playing as Germany in 1936 and I would like to know, what are the first things I should do as this country or any of the other countrys I may suggest later on? What should I do in between 1936 and 1940? Also, when I attack Poland in 1939 why does France and England both attack me? How can I get them to not do so, so that I can focus on attacking Poland?

Lord Romanus III's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: Hearts of Iron II: The First Steps

Quote Originally Posted by Civ001 View Post
    I bought this game on steam and I have heard that it is still superior to HOI III and I started playing it and I was lost. I did not know what to do or what units I should produce. I started playing as Germany in 1936 and I would like to know, what are the first things I should do as this country or any of the other countrys I may suggest later on? What should I do in between 1936 and 1940? Also, when I attack Poland in 1939 why does France and England both attack me? How can I get them to not do so, so that I can focus on attacking Poland?
    In WW2, France and the UK honored an alliance with Poland and declared war on Germany. All you have to do is put three garrison divisions in a corps on each of your beaches to stop the UK. Keep nine divisions under a general in each province along the French border and they shouldn't attack you, either. The rest of your men can go to killing Poland.

From 1936 to 1939, you should focus on building an army and an airforce. 12 interceptors and 16 CAS should be good for you airforce. Make at least nine armored divisions and aim for at least 60 infantry divisions, outside of your garrisons and those guarding the French border. This should give you what you need to crush Poland. Attack France in April or May of 1940 and swing through Belgium. Try to ignore the Netherlands and don't use the events to DoW any of the countries in western Europe. Manually DoW them, skipping the Netherlands, which will make it easier. Kill the Netherlands after France falls. That should put you on your way.

Heinz Guderian's Avatar *takes off trousers

Build IC for the first couple of years. Dont forget about your airforce and navy if you are going big on the land divisions. I would suggest having about 9 armoured divisions and 15 motorised divisions before the invasion of France. Good luck.

Logios's Avatar Senator

I have a HOI2 game going where I started playing Belgium approaching the policies of the axis. It was possible to:
    * Build up industry to 3 and eventually 4 research slots
    * Ally with allies, conquer Netherlands (Landings in Indonesia key to this), receive a huge pile of blueprints and then terminate this alliance before Germany attacks Poland.
    * Join Axis just before may 2. 1940 to avoid war with Germany.
    * Take charge of the German army to surround the French who invade Belgium (just turtle in Liege). Annex the remains of Free France by invading from Congo.
    * Shift to Germany to conquer the world from a superior position.